Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
X
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
X
Electric vehicles are clearly not ideal or suitable for all conditions. This should hardly come as a surprise to anyone. They probably do work well in moderate climates for people living in urban areas, who don't have to travel far. Just because they don't work well in one set of conditions doesn't mean they don't work well in any conditions....I'm not sure why this seems to be such a difficult concept for some people to grasp. Imagine if everyone was riding motorcycles,in a blizzard and also a traffic jam, how terrible would that be? Obviously motorcycles are stupid and should never be purchased by anyone!

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Leanwolf
Want An Electric Car?

No. I have been looking at an electric side by side ATV. EZ Go makes them now, the absence of engine noise sounds inviting.

Last edited by Toddly; 12/28/19.
W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
A hybrid is a much better choice than an electric but from what I've seen, they're too expensive to ever recover the added cost. This summer we bought a Toyota Highlander. We looked at a hybrid just out of interest, no intention of buying one. In steady city driving, it MIGHT pay for itself in 10 years but out here in the country, it would never pay for itself. We'd be running on gas all the time.

This ^^^. I drove a first-generation hybrid as a loaner car for a while back in 2005. I was impressed with the mileage and decided to calculate the savings over the life of the car (I drive minimum 35K miles a year).

Even with the rebates and fuel savings, I would never recover the extra cost to purchase it. How does the average person who drives only 20K a year or less do?

The greatest advantage of new EV’s and hybrids at this point is to give smug greenies something to pat themselves on the back for.

At this point, there are enough used ones on the market that my next vehicle will probably be a hybrid. With the amount I drive I need reliability and longevity more than I need virtue-signalling. Someone else can pay the depreciation.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You can try calling 911 to bring woman and children to safety!

Boomers will never learn.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What really attracts me to the electric vehicle (work or personal) is the simplicity. Modern IC engines are marvels of engineering, but still add 1,000 parts or more to a vehicle. You still deal with a highly flammable liquid, exhaust (incredibly complicated system in diesels today), coolant, vibrations, etc, etc. IC engines are terribly complicated things.

How I would love to have a feed vehicle on the farm I don't have to fuel, check oil, check transmission fluid, check transfer case, fix coolant leaks. Just pull it into it's parking spot at night and plug it in. Cab nice and warm when I get in in the morning, and go to work. Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

The day they make a ECONOMY focused feed truck, I'll be in line for it. After they work the bugs out..... Unfortunately, they seem to have discovered the greenies have more money than sense... A fool and his money, and all that.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They're getting there. I have a neighbour that has a 200 mile round trip commute. Yes 200 mile, crazy. He did it with a Prius for a few years but had the mileage racked up pretty high so traded it in on an all electric Hyundai. Kona I think? He makes it with 50 plus miles spare on a charge. Got a station put in at his house. As far as being stuck in a traffic jam, not an issue they don't burn anything at a stand still.

Heat though is an issue without killing range, and range needs to get up more period before I'd be thinking about it plus the prices are pretty high. It'll come I have no doubt everyones getting in to the game. 2021 fully electric F 150 on schedule last I heard be interesting to see what the specs and numbers work out to. They say they've spend lots of effort on cold climate use, we shall see I guess.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Dutch
What really attracts me to the electric vehicle (work or personal) is the simplicity. Modern IC engines are marvels of engineering, but still add 1,000 parts or more to a vehicle. You still deal with a highly flammable liquid, exhaust (incredibly complicated system in diesels today), coolant, vibrations, etc, etc. IC engines are terribly complicated things.

How I would love to have a feed vehicle on the farm I don't have to fuel, check oil, check transmission fluid, check transfer case, fix coolant leaks. Just pull it into it's parking spot at night and plug it in. Cab nice and warm when I get in in the morning, and go to work. Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

The day they make a ECONOMY focused feed truck, I'll be in line for it. After they work the bugs out..... Unfortunately, they seem to have discovered the greenies have more money than sense... A fool and his money, and all that.

I've lived off the grid for 15 years

how is battery powered farm machinery going to function at sub zero temps/

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ribka
Originally Posted by Dutch

I've lived off the grid for 15 years

how is battery powered farm machinery going to function at sub zero temps/

About as well as I do, I suppose? Minimum required effort and back in front of the heater.....

Sorry about the grid thing. I did notice you didn't say without electricity....

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Stickfight
You can try calling 911 to bring woman and children to safety!

Boomers will never learn.

I think the "dial 911 for any sort of abnormal situation" is more a Y-baby thing. Boomers grew up without such convenience after all.

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Electric automobiles are a means for the government to enslave you by limiting your distance to travel, forcing tighter population densities and control the length of time you are in one place while waiting for a re-charge.

Secondly, and the deal breaker, the infrastructure from the service on homes to the power plants are not designed to carry the additional loads recharging would place on our already maxed out grid.

Third, the disposal of the non-recyclable used batteries is a pollution nightmare the communists don’t even talk about. That alone is another ALL STOP.

"He is far from Stupid"

”person, who happens to have an above-average level of intelligence

– DocRocket (In reference to ElkSlayer91)

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
These sorta threads sure prove the lack of knowledge on a topic is overwhelmingly compensated for with opinion.

Padded VA Hospital Rooms for $1000 Alex

Originally Posted by renegade50
My ignoree,s will never be Rock Stars on 24 hr campfire.....Like me!!!!

What are psychotic puppet hunters?
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

734 members (10Glocks, 12savage, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 1234, 79 invisible), 2,990 guests, and 1,508 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,737
Posts18,475,993
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.