Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
I see where the Savage and Mossberg are both chambered in the .375 Ruger. Since they are very affordable, have any of you guys seen them in use up there? Maybe they would not be used on brown bear, but for moose, etc, they could be. If you have, do they look like they are holding up? Do they kick themselves apart or break parts, etc? Just wondering really...

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have seen a few for sale in pawn shops but not heard of any tales from the bush. Although the Howa 375's are considered viable rifles .

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Jim_Knight
I see where the Savage and Mossberg are both chambered in the .375 Ruger. Since they are very affordable, have any of you guys seen them in use up there? Maybe they would not be used on brown bear, but for moose, etc, they could be. If you have, do they look like they are holding up? Do they kick themselves apart or break parts, etc? Just wondering really...

Why not use it for brown bear?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I had a Savage Brush Hunter 375 Ruger for a short time. It had a very heavy short barrel I hated. It should have been a bit trimmer, IMO. It made what should be a fast handling gun a bit sluggish.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
My buddy had the savage 375r, he’s taken moose and bear with it and has no complaints. I’m actually planning on getting one just to have a 375 Ruger to load Ammo for. It’s obviously not as nice as the river rifles but from what I’ve seen it’s been a reliable and accurate rifle.

IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J

458- by Howa, do you mean the Vanguard 375 H&H model?

Why not use it for brown bear?
/quote]

Well, I guess I was being a bit harsh...50yrs ago ( and a bit more) I grew up around people using Mossbergs/Savages and they were not the most dependable....seems the Mossberg "rifles" were their best and Savages "shotguns" were their best. Saw many 110 Savage bolts fall apart on guys, same with the Mossberg bolt action shotguns. Affordable they were, mind you, just not the best.
I've held the Mossberg Patriot, and the newer Savages, never shot either. The Savage seemed stouter to shoot the 375 ruger in, the Mossberg felt very fragile. this is why I asked about them, as a "working class sportsman" up there is not that different than here in the Lower 48, ha. Your critters just are bigger and will eat you! smile We didn't have Black bear in Texas, but a failed Savage/Mossberg has had a few Texans get cut by mean hogs! Just saying...:)

Last edited by Jim_Knight; 12/29/19.
E
E

I owned a "stainless" synthetic Mossberg. Got it as a boat gun worked fine, however, as it was a 6.75 pound rifle it was absofreakinglutely brutal to shoot. Added a mercury vial which helped, but not enough. It went down the road.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Thanks for the reply, Jim.

I misunderstood you to be referring to the cartridge, not the platform.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by erik_b

I owned a "stainless" synthetic Mossberg. Got it as a boat gun worked fine, however, as it was a 6.75 pound rifle it was absofreakinglutely brutal to shoot. Added a mercury vial which helped, but not enough. It went down the road.

I don't think that any of the Mossberg Patriots are stainless, but some are Cerkoted in a matte gray color.

I have a Mossberg Patriot in 6.5 CM and like the way that it feels/handles better than the RAR and Savage Axis. I have shot the synthetic stocked Patriots in 22-250, 243, and 6.5 CM. I can imagine that the recoil of the 375 RUG in such a light rifle would be difficult to handle and that a heavier laminated stock, like something from Boyds, would help tame the recoil. I've shot a couple of rounds from a V2 IN 375 H&H and found that recoil felt a little sharper than my heavier Winchester 70.

E
E
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Originally Posted by erik_b

I don't think that any of the Mossberg Patriots are stainless, but some are Cerkoted in a matte gray color.

I have a Mossberg Patriot in 6.5 CM and like the way that it feels/handles better than the RAR and Savage Axis. I have shot the synthetic stocked Patriots in 22-250, 243, and 6.5 CM. I can imagine that the recoil of the 375 RUG in such a light rifle would be difficult to handle and that a heavier laminated stock, like something from Boyds, would help tame the recoil. I've shot a couple of rounds from a V2 IN 375 H&H and found that recoil felt a little sharper than my heavier Winchester 70.

Hence the quotes around stainless. smile
They call it marine coat, or they did when I purchased if I remember correctly

IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Little brother to that Savage 375 is the Hog Hunter in 338 federal. A great canoe carbine with good open sights. Affordable at $500. Take about 7 days to arrive if u order online.

VV N133 Will push a 250 grain A frame about 2350 fps.

I would never turn my nose up at a savage 110 variant used in Alaska. Cheap, beat-up savage rifles fed me and my family during hard times.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
260 rem,
Few years back I loaned my truck, tent, hip boots, jacket, Rubbermaid tough tote and boat motor to a young kid. My buddy loaned out his canoe and other gear.

We sat him down and schooled him on where to go and how to safely get there. All he had was 7 nosler 180 grain partitions and a mossberg rifle.

He came back cold and sore with a broken canoe and motor, full of caribou meat and pride. He likes his mossberg rifle.

J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
So far, sounds as if both of the models I asked about are "reliable", if not hard "to hang onto", ha. I know Savage has upgraded their rifles, just wasn't sure how well they held up to the 375 Ruger. I have several family members in East Texas that use the snot out of the Savage/scope combo rifles from Academy. They are the 4 wheeler/mudders type of crowd, its usually a bent/broken via wreck that has them run out to Academy and get another one, ha Their favorite? 7mm Magnum...for 90# deer mostly. smile My friends daughter up here uses an older Mossberg 4x4 in .270 for deer/elk likes it just fine too.

Last edited by Jim_Knight; 12/30/19.
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Howa rifles are very well built and a good value for the price. They are very heavy. The 300 win mag I own is only used at my cousin's place where I drive to a stand with a golf cart. My 416 Ruger Alaskan I use in Africa weighs less.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
There has been a 375H&H version of the savage 116 with a 20ish inch barrel for a decade plus.

I've seen them draw blood on both ends of the barrel. Never saw one fall apart, but was also never tempted to acquire one.

Last edited by cwh2; 12/30/19. Reason: Because it didn't make any sense.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by cwh2
There has been a 375H&H version of the savage 116 with a 20ish inch barrel for quite a decade plus.

I've seen them draw blood on both ends of the barrel. Never saw one fall apart, but was also never tempted to acquire one.

cwh2,

I was tempted for a 375 carbine and when I got back from my third one year tour in Iraq, I picked up a new 375 Ruger Alaskan. It had the Hogue stock. This wouldve been January 2010. First time at the range, a factory hornady round was fired, and the brass case stuck in the chamber. Slow taps on the bolt with a 2x4. When the bolt was taped rearward, the mauser extractor slipped off the case and the case was still stuck.

I eventually took a stainless steel one piece cleaning rod, wrapped it in electrical tape to prevent rifling damage and hit cleaning rod with a hammer until the case fell out.

I found that the rough tooling marks in the chamber combined with such a straight, minimal case taper/high pressure cartridge was the problem. It went back to Ruger and they were great about fixing the rifle.

I eventually lost interest in the rifle and went back to my 5-down CZ 550 9.3x62 carbine. It is one lb lighter, holds two more cartridges and has worked well on moose and caribou shot from 25 yds to 500 yds. Forum member VernAK made a 400 yard shot on a big bull moose with his.
Far less recoil too.

Even going Ruger 77 isn't a guarantee that the gun will work flawlessly when subjected to the ferocious 375 Ruger.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Don’t forget, the weatherby vanguard comes in 375HH as well.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by AKPENDUDE
Don’t forget, the weatherby vanguard comes in 375HH as well.

Speaking of HOWA...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've known a couple of guys that bought the Savage and Mossberg versions of the .375 Ruger. One guy that bear baited with me said he had a Mossberg for a few months, and would never own one again. He just said he couldn't trust his life with it, so it went bye, bye, I have known and hunted with a couple of guys that have the Savage version and never heard a bad thing about them.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
The Zastavas are being imported again and you can get a 375 H&H for a reasonable price, these are commercial Mauser 98's and are pretty bombproof. The 98 is a great action for dangerous animal gun proven for over 120 years. I know it is not a 375 Ruger but performance wise they are twins.

I have commercial FN's and Zastavas in 270 Win, 9.3x62, 30-06, 375 Ruger to name a few. I hunt almost exclusively with Mausers as they just work, the only mods I do to the metal is have a three position safety installed on them.

The Howa would be a cheaper route and now they have three position safeties so the bolt is locked back instead of just blocking the trigger, I like that feature in a hunting rifle and almost require it. The Howas are fantastic guns for the money and are very accurate out of the box, I have a number of custom Howas in the safe, the downfall of having your own shop is you can make just about whatever you want.

Some people say the Howas are heavy and they are right, but I little extra weight with a 375 Ruger is not a bad thing. The 98's I mentioned are not the skinny kids on the block either. I could peel off 10 pounds before a hunt if I was worried about weight.

I don't think the Savage or Mossberg is a bad way to go, I don't see them as poorly made. Savages have been truck guns for around 50 years and they still go bang when the trigger is squeezed.

Just my thoughts,
Wade

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

654 members (160user, 1badf350, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 1234, 62 invisible), 2,779 guests, and 1,310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,371
Posts18,469,224
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.