Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
Scanned copies on my phone. No.

This. Also keep a copy in the glove box of my pickup.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
There's a local indoor range that asks and wants to see "Stamps" if you want to shoot there....they have lost a lot of business....because its none of there business....

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I have a wallet sized form 4, laminated, in my wallet. Never been checked. I live on a farm in the sticks and know my wardens well. They both know I use a can. No trust.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What I meant to say was....."What suppressor?"

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by BigNate
Do you keep full copies of your Form 4 and Trust with you? In the truck? Have any of you ever been questioned?

I was advised from the shop that I bought my suppressors from to keep the original Stamps and Forms locked up in my gunsafe and carry copies of both with me when I have my suppressors out and about. I keep copies in my truck console and also in my canvas carryall that I keep my suppressors and tools in. Why not? It isn't any trouble to make copies if you ever need them or not. Maybe just one less headache you don't have to overcome someday. It's not like anybody ever has much luck arguing with Barney on the side of the road in his county as you're passing thru, just avoid the headaches if possible. And by the way, go ahead and get a rimfire suppressor as you are getting your paperwork done anyway. They can be cheap, I bought a Sig for $180, and you will not believe how much fun they are. All you hear is they action cycling in a rimfire rifle. Also get an Ultrasonic cleaner to clean them. Dollars lead to dollars, but that is our hobby. You will enjoy them and wonder why you didn't go ahead and do this earlier.

IC B2

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I carry copies but have never been asked by LE for them.

I was shooting at a fancy indoor range in Charlotte when one of their mall ninjas approached me and told me that he had to see my stamps. I told him that I didn't carry them, just copies and that those were out in my truck. He said it was 'the law' that I had to have them with me and their internal policy required them to see them. I advised him that in fact it was not the law and that if that was their policy, I needed a refund and I would be leaving. They obliged.

More dumbphuquery.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by kelbro
I carry copies but have never been asked by LE for them.

I was shooting at a fancy indoor range in Charlotte when one of their mall ninjas approached me and told me that he had to see my stamps. I told him that I didn't carry them, just copies and that those were out in my truck. He said it was 'the law' that I had to have them with me and their internal policy required them to see them. I advised him that in fact it was not the law and that if that was their policy, I needed a refund and I would be leaving. They obliged.

More dumbphuquery.

You know, we should probably actually carry copies of the actual law regarding use and transport of a suppressor with us for just such an occurrence. I'm going to try and find the actual law in print, but my Google foo is not always so strong. If someone finds a good link, please post it. Thanks.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So if it says an ATF agent, does that mean if the local yokel Barney Fife asks, you can tell him to GFY?.....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Of course you can. What happens after that I don't know. grin Might depend on statutory authority granted to state/local LEOs.

IC B3

B
BigNate Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by hotsoup
I have a wallet sized form 4, laminated, in my wallet. Never been checked. I live on a farm in the sticks and know my wardens well. They both know I use a can. No trust.

Is this legible enough to suffice? I have scanned it to my phone, but the trust paperwork is harder to know which pages are required. Also, not to interested in handing my phone to any LEO.

Last edited by BigNate; 12/30/19.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

Thanks, I knew someone here smarter than me would find that before I could.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by huntsman22
So if it says an ATF agent, does that mean if the local yokel Barney Fife asks, you can tell him to GFY?.....

I'd venture to say all states, like MT and CO, have laws making it illegal to possess suppressors unless they're legally registered. As such, there may come a time where you have to prove that registration. It may be easier to nip that in the bud as early as possible by showing your tax stamp to state/local LE if asked.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
But on the other hand, fugging with Barney, and making them get a ATF agent outta bed to legally check me, might be kinda fun messing with 'em that way. I can always make time to not comply, if not complying screws with their overblown sense of 'Authoritah'...... I never been accused of making things 'easier'....

P.S...... I always have my stamp in my wallet and phone and trucks/car, travel cases. So it's not like I'm trying to hide something.

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
I keep copies with each rifle, under the shell carrier on the butt of each gun, and keep copies in my truck.

Got pulled over by a local cop recently on my way home from coyote calling with my rifle leaning in the passenger seat, not cased. Also had a CC on my hip. When the officer approached he asked if I'd been hunting, well duh. Saw the suppressor on the rifle and simple made a comment, "Hunting suppressed, nice." I also informed him that I was carrying and he simply told me that "it's fine where it is." didn't ask for proof of CC permit or suppressor papers.

Also got checked by a game warden two years ago. Asked if he wanted or needed to see my papers, "Nope, no reason to."

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Zee papers, Zee papers... I must see zee papers! ach schnell!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (22magnut, 257Bob, 257man, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 54 invisible), 1,834 guests, and 1,155 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,242
Posts18,524,949
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.