-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 26 1 2 3 4 5 25 26
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The fact that a 140-gr, or 120-gr, or 110-gr bullet has killed a particular type of animal does not "prove" that it is a better better for the job than a 150, 154, 160 or 162-grain bullet at the proper range.

Just because a bullet weighs 150,154,160 or 162 gr does not "prove" that it is a better bullet for the job than a 140gr or 120gr bullet of different construction.

139 and up is a BIG game bullet, and placement and angle are the most important factors.

So what do you suppose that Barnes lists the 120gr tsx as?Do they not list it as a big game bullet?

If you choose to use a deer bullet on big game, it is just playing, a stunt for fun, because there is no reason you HAVE to do it.

Firstly,does Barnes specifically list the 120gr tsx as a deer bullet?As far as weight is concerned, there is no reason that you HAVE to use a heavier bullet,if the lighter bullet does a good job.

So answer one simple question for us.Have you ever used a 120gr tsx or 140 gr tsx on big game?A simple yes or no answer is all that is required.

I have personally used 7mm bullets weighing 120gr,140gr,150gr,154gr and 160gr on big game,so I am basing my opinion on actual experience,not on speculation of what might happen.

GB1

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Great discussion....lots of good debate. I think I'm still on the side that will be shooting the 120TSX or the 140TSX. Too many good reviews from everyone, and both seem like a perfect fit for the 7-08. Of course I like my 140NP's as well.....

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Gotta love the discourse. Thinking about all this is making me want to go out and do some hunting.... Five months 'til deer season...not sure I'll make it. Perhaps I'll draw that antelope tag in early september I put in for. smile
Elk

"I won�t be wronged, I won�t be insulted, and I won�t be laid a hand on. I don�t do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." �John Wayne (John Bernard Books, The Shootist)
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hunts:

What and how much powder did you use to get the 140's up to 2850? How long was the barrel?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Gaviidae_Esq
Hunts:

What and how much powder did you use to get the 140's up to 2850? How long was the barrel?

Gaviidae,

I'm using 42.5 grains of Varget, Federal 215 primers, and any brass I happen to have available(usually Winchester). My gun is a Tikka T3 lite SS/synthetic. The barrel is 22 7/16". Groups average under 1 1/2".

I've had good results with lot's of bullets in the 7mm-08(Nosler, Speer, Hornady, etc.). Even Remington Core-loks have worked well.

IC B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
"..Just because a bullet weighs 150,154,160 or 162 gr does not "prove" that it is a better bullet for the job than a 140gr or 120gr bullet of different construction...."

Correct. It depends on what the job is.

If you like speed, a motorcycle or Porsche is good, but for all-around functionality, and big jobs, a pickup truck beats the smaller vehicles every time.

Like I said, limiting yourself to one lightweight bullet in a light cartridge and using it on big game when you don't have to is just a stunt.

Who is seriously going to travel across the country to hunt elk, bear or moose and not spend a few dollars to have some alternative loads with heavier bullets for closer shots, or even buy a rifle more perfect for the job?

Who is seriously going to test a bunch of loads for the 7mm-08, find several different weights which are accurate and shoot near the same point of aim, and then discard all of them but one, of any weight? Not me. I may have one favorite load, but I know how all kinds of factory and custom loads shoot in all my rifles, just in case the airline loses my luggage with my Wonder Bullets and I have to go to Wal-Mart or Billy's Gas & Guns for ammo. What you find there is going to be 139/140-gr ammo, because that is the best "all-around" for the 7mm-08.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Who is seriously going to travel across the country to hunt elk, bear or moose and not spend a few dollars to have some alternative loads with heavier bullets for closer shots, or even buy a rifle more perfect for the job?

Someone that uses a bullet of suitable construction such as the tsx that does the same job with lighter bullets,while providing less recoil and a flatter trajectory.One load,one sight in,one trajectory equals better knowledge of the load and more consistency.

What you find there is going to be 139/140-gr ammo, because that is the best "all-around" for the 7mm-08.

What! no 154gr or 160gr?Why do you suppose that is? grin

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I dont see anything as limiting Lee....
If I went with a 120TSX, it would be because I knew it would work for all around, with no compromises. If I go 140TSX or 140NP, it will be for the exact same reason.

As for having a rifle 'more perfect' for the job....I'll be fine thanks. I have a 30-06 and probably wont pull it out much over the 7-08. Why limit myself with a heavier bullet for 'closer shots' when I can just shoot one bullet for everything, and be confident with it?

I didnt say I was going to discard all other loads...I'll enjoy shooting them and havin fun with them...but overall I'm going to aim at having 1 all-around load....doesnt mean I'm limiting myself...just means that I can enjoy shooting it and puttin game on the ground.

I'm still with Stubblejumper....what are your experiences with the 120TSX? To be able to call something a stunt, I hope you at least have SOME sort of experience with it. Just curious....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm still with Stubblejumper....what are your experiences with the 120TSX? To be able to call something a stunt, I hope you at least have SOME sort of experience with it. Just curious....

I think that his continuing to avoid the question makes it obvious that he has no experience with the 120gr or 140gr tsx.Why doesn't he just answer the question and admit his opinions are not based on actual experience with the tsx?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Man, too bad Stick isn't around to join in this discourse. I'm thinking he said he'd take on just about anything with his 7-08 and 120 TSX......

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
As for me, I'm still testing loads in my 700 Guide Gun, which will be quite fun. Got some 120 TSX loaded up, but plain old Rem 140 grain corelokt's did quite well on the target.

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Kimber7man
Man, too bad Stick isn't around to join in this discourse. I'm thinking he said he'd take on just about anything with his 7-08 and 120 TSX......

Where is Stick these days????

WGM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
He's around ... just not around here... he's doing well ... but I'm sure we all knew that already ... (grin)

-WGM-
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I already told you, the Remington and Nosler 120-gr do all I want for light bullets out of the 7mm-08. I have no interest in playing with a TSX, unless it is a 140-gr, but I already have lots of 139s, 140s, and 154s working, so my limited time is focused on things of more value to me. To someone who has no loads worked up, go try whatever you want. I just wouldn't stop with the first 120-gr bullet that worked on paper or small deer and declare myself ready to tackle big game with something in the .25-06 class.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I already told you, the Remington and Nosler 120-gr do all I want for light bullets out of the 7mm-08. I have no interest in playing with a TSX, unless it is a 140-gr,

So then,the man that previously posted that he prefers to rely on experience rather than on theory,has absolutely zero experience with the 120gr tsx,or any tsx for that matter,yet he continues to theorize why it isn't a good choice. grin grin grin

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
No, my post was based on my experience with other 7mm bullets that work.

I haven't seen any posts here by anyone who has actually used the 120-gr .284 TSX deer bullet on bear, boar, elk or moose. I see a lot of armchair speculation about how the light TSX theoretically will retain more weight than the 140 and 154-gr bullets, penetrate more, blah, blah, blah. No real experience, though.

Stalking skills, getting close, and making the correct shot are far more important than bullet weight, speed, or construction.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I see a lot of armchair speculation about how the light TSX theoretically will retain more weight than the 140 and 154-gr bullets, penetrate more, blah, blah, blah. No real experience, though.

Unlike you,I and several others here have actually used the tsx in several calibers and bullet weights on game animals.And yes,it has been my actual experience that they retain much more weight than partitions,interlokts,core lockts,powerpoints,speers,and several other bullets that I have used on big game.The 140gr tsx has on average retained more weight than even the 175gr gr partition,and much more weight than the 154gr interlock which I have also used on game.So the bottom line is that my opinions are based on actually using the tsx on game,unlike your opinions of the tsx which are based totally on speculation with absolutely no experience with the tsx in any caliber or bullet weight.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
So tell us the details of how the 120-gr TSX from a 7mm-08 worked for you on boar, bear, elk or moose, the range, angle, and why you didn't use a bullet specifically designed for such game.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Lee24
So tell us the details of how the 120-gr TSX from a 7mm-08 worked for you on boar, bear, elk or moose, the range, angle, and why you didn't use a bullet specifically designed for such game.

If the TSX isn't designed for such game,then what the hell is??
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Lee decided that the TSX in 120 isnt designed for bigger game than deer.....it was his choice, and now the rest of the world must follow his rule.

Lee, Why not tell us your experience on why the 120TSX ISNT suitable for such game?

Sorry, but you seem to be very closed minded about what is suitable or not and dont ahve much to back it up other than personal bias.....

Page 3 of 26 1 2 3 4 5 25 26

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

578 members (01Foreman400, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10Glocks, 55 invisible), 2,335 guests, and 1,148 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,649
Posts18,493,368
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.