Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
No boby pictures? this place is a shadow of what it once was...

Kent

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Who’s Boby?

[Linked Image from ]
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Trust me, no one wants to see a picture of my "Boby" smile And I ain't payin' for NOBODY's therapy! smile smile smile

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Walk as much and as often as you can. Add a pack when you’re ready, then add weight to that when you work up to it.

Buy a 16kg, 20kg or 24kg kettlebell and learn how to do proper kettlebell swings. Employ a trainer if you must, as it will only take one or two 30-minute sessions to use proper form. Work up to the point where you can do 100 kettlebell swings in 15 minutes, then do that 3-4 times a week.

Add the walking with pack and kettlebell swings to a good stretching regimen and you’ll be a beast in the woods.

And, if you’re 60 or older, get a GPS device and learn how to use. The watch varieties work well, as they monitor your heart rate and track your daily steps.

What could be a sadder way to end a life than to die having never hunted with great dogs, good friends and your family?
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
I can't swim due to mucked up shoulders, can't walk very far due to arthritic knees. What am I left to do? And I'm only 53!

Bicycle?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
I can't swim due to mucked up shoulders, can't walk very far due to arthritic knees. What am I left to do? And I'm only 53!

Bicycle?

You can float in the pool. That’d be meditational.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
I just don’t get in a hurry. Surprising what you can walk up on!

You got that right!!! And what you can see too.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Stay out of churches with rattle snakes in them.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by greydog
I walk from two to five miles, over varied terrain, carrying a rifle, everyday. In the winter, I use snowshoes, if necessary. When it's icy, I use those slip-on studded shoes. I lift weights (not too heavy, high reps), and hit the speed bag and heavy bag. I quit sparring five years ago, on advice from the Dr., due to some neck problems but I'll still do a round now and then. I'm 70 and am still doing OK. One thing I find is that things go wrong more easily. A few weeks back, I bent down to pick up a nail, my back popped, and I was crippled for two weeks. I still managed to walk but had to use a cane! I guess these are the golden years.
From the time I was about 10 years old, I have been taking that walk with a rifle and it helps me feel good. GD

ditto.

6 days a week 5 miles a day walking in the foothills with a Garand, no sling. 3 of those days I add a pack weighing either 20, 30, or 50 lbs. Snowshoes when it gets deep. 60 Pushups and situps daily, half just before the 5 mile circuit and the other half right after finishing the 5 miles. I'm 66.

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

the old 220 minus age is nothing more than a rough guide to cover averages.

To really get your max you need to know your resting heart rate, the best way to do this is an average over a week or more IMMEDIATELY when you wake up. then you factor in age and weight. There are many charts on line to do this.

Excercise at about 75% of max based on that and you will build stamina and burn fat. Go beyond that and you go aerobic.

IC B3

Ringman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Puddle
Originally Posted by greydog
I walk from two to five miles, over varied terrain, carrying a rifle, everyday. In the winter, I use snowshoes, if necessary. When it's icy, I use those slip-on studded shoes. I lift weights (not too heavy, high reps), and hit the speed bag and heavy bag. I quit sparring five years ago, on advice from the Dr., due to some neck problems but I'll still do a round now and then. I'm 70 and am still doing OK. One thing I find is that things go wrong more easily. A few weeks back, I bent down to pick up a nail, my back popped, and I was crippled for two weeks. I still managed to walk but had to use a cane! I guess these are the golden years.
From the time I was about 10 years old, I have been taking that walk with a rifle and it helps me feel good. GD

ditto.

6 days a week 5 miles a day walking in the foothills with a Garand, no sling. 3 of those days I add a pack weighing either 20, 30, or 50 lbs. Snowshoes when it gets deep. 60 Pushups and situps daily, half just before the 5 mile circuit and the other half right after finishing the 5 miles. I'm 66.

WOW!

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Ringman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bob_H_in_NH

the old 220 minus age is nothing more than a rough guide to cover averages.

To really get your max you need to know your resting heart rate, the best way to do this is an average over a week or more IMMEDIATELY when you wake up. then you factor in age and weight. There are many charts on line to do this.

Excercise at about 75% of max based on that and you will build stamina and burn fat. Go beyond that and you go aerobic.

Thanks for this information. I will start tomorrow.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

237 members (10gaugemag, 1minute, 260Remguy, 204guy, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 16penny, 30 invisible), 2,182 guests, and 1,237 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,115
Posts18,483,452
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.