Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
Jeffrey Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Hook
I've had two of them. Both were stolen by youngsters. The first was loaned to a coworker for use by his son. I freely let him use it with a stern warning that it was a loan and WAS NOT FOR SALE! The boy immediately went out and slew his first three deer with it and wouldn't let me have it back. I made his dad give me something for it but it was less than I had in it.

I eventually just had to buy a new one because you can't find them used. I had it 4-5 years and loaned it to another buddy for his daughter's use last year. She tried and tried to kill her first buck with it, but just never got a chance. When her birthday rolled around early this year, I gave it to her. Got a txt from her dad about 3 hours ago with a picture of her first buck with the CZ laying across it! She shot it right at dark in Lowndes County this afternoon. She was one happy young lady, but I think her dad was more excited. It was a fat. young 7 point. I would post the picture but don't have her dad's permission. Maybe later.

Jeffrey, I also shot cast in my 2nd rifle before that little girl stolt it. I had ended up with a small batch of 180ish grain RN cast bullets in an estate that I handled. They had been sized and lubed but miked around 0.314" and I had never tried them in my 30 cals, They shot beautifully in the CZ! Not as good as the group above, but pretty dang fine. I'll try to dig up the load data next time I'm in the shop.

Wonder where I can find another one....

Thanks for writing, Hook! It’s a nice feeling to have a hand in a youngster’s first experience. Good for you. The good news is, CZ is still making new ones.

Does anyone know how long this model has been in production?

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Delightful little rifles.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
I have the Ruger American Ranch Rifle chambered on 7.62x39. I load the Sierra Pro Hunter 125gr .311 soft point. My load uses IMR 4198. Over 2600 FPS, and very good accuracy.

Sam......

J
Joe Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Jeffrey
Thank you, Joe.
What load are you running with your 165 cast loads, and do you shoot them at anything other than paper?

Jeffrey I use cast for hunting and paper punching. I worked up 2 loads. The pictured one is 28 grains of surplus 4895 which is identical in velocity to IMR-4895 and a 165 grain bullet from a mold I had Mountain Molds make. Muzzle velocity is 1878 fps.

The other load is 25 grains of WC-844 (think H-335) and same bullet for a muzzle velocity of 1953 fps. This load, while faster, is not quite as accurate as the 4895 load though only .3" less so the accuracy is ample.

My plinking load is 7 grains of Unique with Lyman 311359....like shooting a big 22 RF.

Here is what the 165 looks like:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
J
Jeffrey Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Thanks for the replies everyone.

Originally Posted by Joe
Originally Posted by Jeffrey
Thank you, Joe.
What load are you running with your 165 cast loads, and do you shoot them at anything other than paper?

Jeffrey I use cast for hunting and paper punching. I worked up 2 loads. The pictured one is 28 grains of surplus 4895 which is identical in velocity to IMR-4895 and a 165 grain bullet from a mold I had Mountain Molds make. Muzzle velocity is 1878 fps.

The other load is 25 grains of WC-844 (think H-335) and same bullet for a muzzle velocity of 1953 fps. This load, while faster, is not quite as accurate as the 4895 load though only .3" less so the accuracy is ample.

My plinking load is 7 grains of Unique with Lyman 311359....like shooting a big 22 RF.

Here is what the 165 looks like:

Joe,
That is awesome. Are you hunting medium game with the 165 cast bullets? Do you have to run gas checks on those? I know very little about using cast bullets in modern center fire rifle cartridges.

IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Jeffrey, found what is left of my cast loads mentioned above if you're interested. Pic and label pretty well covers it. Never chronographed it, so no clue on velocity. Actually, the powder charge was thrown with a Hornady pistol powder bushing #H21. Accuracy was VERY good....

J
Joe Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Jeffrey I will use it on w/t deer if one ever gives me the chance. Been using cast on deer since the mid '70's and never have had any problems with them. Our deer aren't big averaging about 130#.

Yes I do use gas checks.

Last edited by Joe; 01/02/20.

"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
J
Joe Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Hook, that bullet looks a lot like Lyman 311291. Ever use it on game?

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Joe

I thought that cartridge would make a splendid cast bullet shooter despite the short neck and it certainly does. This is 9 shots with my 165 cast bullet at 100 yds.

)

Nice cast bullet group.

What is the lubed/sized diameter of your cast bullet?

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Joe
Hook, that bullet looks a lot like Lyman 311291. Ever use it on game?

Yes, it does. However, it mikes at 0.314".

I've never killed a deer with cast in anything smaller than the 38-55. I do plan to start developing a bullet with an alloy suitable for hunting so I can use my 308, 30.06, 30-40,etc. for deer, but haven't done so as yet. All the 30s I've cast or acquired were too hard to use for hunting or were round nose or both.

Buttstock, I meant to comment on that group as well. It's nice....and, it's one of the roundest groups you'll run across.

Last edited by Hook; 01/02/20.
IC B3

J
Joe Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by buttstock
Originally Posted by Joe

I thought that cartridge would make a splendid cast bullet shooter despite the short neck and it certainly does. This is 9 shots with my 165 cast bullet at 100 yds.

)

Nice cast bullet group.

What is the lubed/sized diameter of your cast bullet?

Ready to shoot .314" and it drops from the mold .314". When sent to the lubrisizer it only crimps on the gas check and lubes the bullet.

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Bought one when they first came out a LONG time ago...the trigger, both set and un-set, was fabulous...

In 2013 had three Ruger 77/MKIIs, Savage Scout and several semis in 7.62x39 but no bolt gun in .223... So when visiting with Mackay Sagebrush we ended up trading rifles so it now resides in his safe...

I know that firearms44 and his brother-in-law have killed well over 50 deer with their Mini30s using Burnal HP ammo...never had a deer take more than one hit...

Great round and great gun...Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
The biggest gun mistake I have ever made was selling mine. They are such sweet rifles.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

603 members (1OntarioJim, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 160user, 61 invisible), 2,483 guests, and 1,358 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,189
Posts18,484,895
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.