-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Some guys have to butcher them right away so they don't spoil.
Others have to butcher them right away so they don't freeze rock solid.

Location, location, location.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
In old England pheasants were hung until the bird separated from the beak.

I have had rancid meat in Africa, can’t recommend it.

Waldorf hung gutted market hunted ducks by the neck until they fell, I've heard.

When I was a kid around 1970 or so my dad and I were out hunting in an area in northern BC he guided in at times and knew well. We stopped in to visit this old bush rat who lived alone in a little cabin. This guy was the real deal looking around his place it could have been the 1800s never mind 1970. One thing I remember is his smoke house about 2 1/2 feet square and about 6 feet high. It had fly screen on two small openings near the top and a chimney out the top. The old guy saw me looking at it and said have a look inside.. I got a couple geese in there. I opened the door and just about lost my lunch. No smoke involved he was just using the fly proofness of the thing and there were two geese that stunk pretty bad hanging from their bills. He said they're not quite ready yet, once they fall off they're good and tender. crazy

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
As far as venison goes, at first I used to hang it a week or 10 days in a cool place cause that's what my grandpas did. That's evolved to no aging at all. Usually debone in the field and they're in the freezer within a day. It tastes good either way.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Moose to me is far, far better after 30 days hanging. Deer we usually hold in saltwater for the duration of a hunt and cut in a week or two after. The differences are huge between aged and fresh meat.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I usually leave the quartered meat in a large cooler, tilted to drain, and ice it daily. Two weeks most of the time. Meat is perfect.

Sam......

IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Shoot 'em, and quarter 'em, and cut 'em up on the same day. I have done it lots of times.
And when you pull that steak out of the freezer and thaw it, there is blood running all over the place.
That is why I started putting them in the cooler in salted ice water for 3 days at least. Gets all the blood out.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Paid a deer processing place to let one hand 3 weeks once. I gave him a gallon on distilled white vingar and a bag of clean rags to wipe it down.
As long as temps stay low and bacteria is kept in check 30 days, [bleep]...60 days would be fine.
Like dry aging

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
J
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by T_Inman
I have zero issue letting game hang until that mold grows, if temps allow.
I'll trim it off then continue on. I've never seen a downside to it.

I have a cow elk rear quarter poised for the same treatment now...the other rear quarter I cut up 4 days after killing her....and it may as well be shoe leather. Decent flavor, but TOUGH.

Thanks, T. You should have tried chewing the one day old bull elk my day Fed us ONCE on a hunt. You have to chew the juice out and spit out a lot meat to fill up, actually after a while you just break a sweat and wear out.

One day old cow elk isn't much better.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
Shoot 'em, and quarter 'em, and cut 'em up on the same day. I have done it lots of times.
And when you pull that steak out of the freezer and thaw it, there is blood running all over the place.
That is why I started putting them in the cooler in salted ice water for 3 days at least. Gets all the blood out.

Come to think of it Simon, when you cut that ham or back strap across the grain and a light reflection gives a little rainbow reflection, I guess it's just too fresh to eat.

A skinned hung fresh ham has that sharp, acidic, blood smell that turns into a good kind of nutty smell after a few days, too.,

I Dindo Nuffin
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
My wife and I hunted caribou in Alaska last week in August. We flew in a Super Cub and piles of meat had black flies covering it at the airport. I cut the maggots off with a fillet knife.
It tasted good.

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Moose to me is far, far better after 30 days hanging. Deer we usually hold in saltwater for the duration of a hunt and cut in a week or two after. The differences are huge between aged and fresh meat.

Definitely a plus to age moose meat

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Went over to my Mennonite neighbors one evening, as they were having their supper. They had a can of meat opened up, and were eating it. I had to leave, as that stuff smelled awful. I know they can their deer meat, and other meats as well, so I don't know what it was, although it did look like either deer or beef. I also know that they often let their deer hang for days before butchering, so I figured that might have caused the smell.

I guess they were used to it, as they were eating the crap out of it.

J
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by baldhunter
When I quarter a deer I put each leg,backstraps,tenderloins and ribs in a separate plastic bag.I use the really big ice chest,154qt ones because I like to keep plenty of ice on the meat.I put a good layer of ice at the bottom,then as I quarter I lay each piece in the bag across the bed of ice.Once I'm done,I always keep a good layer of ice on top of that.I keep the ice chest drain open and the opposite end elevated with a block of wood to keep the water drained off.I add ice as needed to keep the meat sandwiched in the ice.The longest I have kept a deer like this was thirteen days.It was the most tender whitetail I ever ate.The meat was perfect,no bad smell and looked exactly like it did the day I put it in.

Great idea. I would have been concerned about the meat being sealed by plastic for that long. I know it keeps the meat with more color, while being exposed to ice and water draws blood and color out.

Also, someone mentioned meat cutters cutting the bone in the meat. I dont need any of that with the marrow on the meat. I guess it could be washed off immediately after being cut if aged beforehand.

As a kid I didnt notice the wild taste of venison without it being aged. Now, I sure can.

Last edited by jaguartx; 01/04/20.

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Aging deer a month? [

Everyone to their own.....but this guy will pass on that idea.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I see no point in soaking meat to get all the blood out,same reason I don't soak a big thick porterhouse steak before eating it.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Ive never understood the "soaking" method either? That which Ive seen takes on a very pale nasty look after that long in the pickle jar. To each their own I suppose, I have always cleaned, skinned, and hung for 3-5 days if weather permits.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by baldhunter
I see no point in soaking meat to get all the blood out,same reason I don't soak a big thick porterhouse steak before eating it.

If you got to hang your deer the instant you whacked it between the eyes with a hammer and provide a very good blood vent while the heart continues to beat you would have well-drained venison.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I thought that is what shooting them with a good bullet was for.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by JamesJr
Originally Posted by hanco
Ain’t doing that!

I know that there are people who do that sort of thing, but I'm not one of them. I've seen people here leave a deer hanging in temps that would get up around 60 in the day, and leave them for several days before butchering. I'm very picky about stuff like that, and am just not going to do it.

That was my FIL/MIL. Daytime temps in the Eastern Sierra would go from 15 overnight to 55 to 70 degrees and they would let a deer hang in the tres for 3-4 days. They they would drive 6-7 hours home with the deer int he back of their travel trailer where the temp would be high 90's at home. Their venison tasted like chit. I'm surprised no one got sick. I took a deer right outside their old campsite. Cleaned it up, put a bag of ice in the chest cavity and hauled it down the hill to a processor the next morning. He looked it over when we brought it in, took a sniff and said it would it would eat good. He let it hang for a week before he butchered it and it was a very tasty deer.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
J
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
J
So, you cooled it down and aged it a day and the packer aged it another week. Sounds good.

I Dindo Nuffin
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

548 members (16gage, 1Longbow, 160user, 10ring1, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 64 invisible), 2,542 guests, and 1,224 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,741
Posts18,495,082
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.