-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Doc, what do you think of a Glock31 or a Colt Officer's Model?

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm new to concealed carry. My wife and I got our CCP's last summer. I'm experimenting with guns and holsters, and clothing to wear with them too. While I'm new to this, I can say without a doubt that I, and probably many CC people need more practice. I'm able to experiment with different holsters. I think I've got 6 different holsters now, both in leather and Kydex. There's a lot of good info here that we should all take heed of. I'm currently carrying a .380 and occasionally a 9 mm, but there's a compact 1911 in my future. Thanks for all the good info here guys, and I hope none of us ever have to use it.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by stxhunter
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
Originally Posted by 22250rem
After seeing that video several times I could only think that if I were in that spot, then I'd hope I had my 4" S&W 686 on me with either a 125 gr. XTP 357 Mag. handload or a 38 Spl. +P+ handload with a 158 gr. hard cast SWC. That gun with either load would probably give me my best chance at a head shot. And I'm no hot shot pistolero.

I was thinking the same thing. Maybe even a 6 or 8" barrel. Neither conceal well at all, but a long-barreled revolver is easy to shoot well at a distance.

i can hit clay pigeons at a 100 yds with my 3 inch 357 ruger.

At what percentage?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
An Airweight with an Uncle Mikes Combat Grip has been my EDC for more than 25 years, for most all of that time I carried it in a nondescript waist pack. What became obvious at the White Settlement incident was what I had always read, if you can’t get the gun out and presented in two seconds or less you might as well hang it up.

I’ve shot it often over the years, center mass torso hits at 15 oughtta be routinely doable, the same with careful aimed fire at 25.

I was reasonably fast getting it out of that waist pack but for me it’s even faster coming out of a front pocket where it is contained in an Uncle Mike’s pocket holster. In the woods I always carried a Glock 19 in that same waist pack but have now gone to an outside the waistband holster just behind my hip, my son has the Glock so now I’m using a 9mm Springfield Armory XDs, Only half as many rounds as the 19 but I shoot it well, hopefully 8+ 1 will be enough.

Birdy,

The mags for the XDS are small, throw a couple extra in the old pockets.

Yep. My experience with the XDS in .45 acp was good. I always carried 2 spare mags for it when I packed it.

Yea, I like mine in 9mm. I only carry it when I have to dress up and can't dress around something more substantial. With the extended 8 round magazines I get a good grip with the whole and, and, for me, the grip geometry make it shoot better than I would expect from a pistol of that size. I'll be interested is taking a look at Springfield's new replacement for it, the Hellcat when it's in stores around here.

I LOVE my Sig P365

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Originally Posted by denton
MontanaMan's suggestion of the Remora holster is cheap enough to just try as an experiment, so I put in an order. Might order something else from the other good suggestions made so far. I need to see if I can tolerate IWB before springing for one of the expensive models.

Rocky Raab told me years a go that I would end up with a shoebox full of holsters I don't use anymore.... LOL.... he was right. Though I do have a few that I routinely use.

Anyway, the Remora lets me step up to a full size 9mm, which is much easier to shoot accurately, plus being a bit more potent. I load Hornady XTP bullets for that.

Probably the next step up from that is my 41 Mag snubby. I have a pancake holster for it, and it shoots very well and carries decently for me.

One sweet spot in the revolver landscape is a 44 Special. Basically, 45 ACP power in a small, light package. But then there is the thickness of that darn cylinder.
If you like the P238, why not step up to the P938 in 9mm? Mine doesn't recoil badly even with hot 9's. It is not appreciably bigger than the 380 version. If you're not worried about concealment, then there are a lot of other options. You'll just never get as good a concealment with a revolver.

Might as well step up to the Sig P365. Not all that much larger that the Sig 938 with twice as many rounds.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by stxhunter
Originally Posted by 22250rem
After seeing that video several times I could only think that if I were in that spot, then I'd hope I had my 4" S&W 686 on me with either a 125 gr. XTP 357 Mag. handload or a 38 Spl. +P+ handload with a 158 gr. hard cast SWC. That gun with either load would probably give me my best chance at a head shot. And I'm no hot shot pistolero.

I was thinking the same thing. Maybe even a 6 or 8" barrel. Neither conceal well at all, but a long-barreled revolver is easy to shoot well at a distance.

i can hit clay pigeons at a 100 yds with my 3 inch 357 ruger.

At what percentage?

Knowing Roger, I’m betting he can do it it fairly regularly.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Plotting mayhem requires one to analyze realistic capabilities. With that understood the next requirement is to plot tactics congruent with capabilities. A gun is little more than a tool, learn to use it and proceed accordingly.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
the real question is not what can I carry comfortably , but what can I shoot most accurately. and do I have the balls to act.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I’ll have to give the Remora holsters a try.
Where do you purchase yours MM ?

Go here: Remora Holsters

Click, Shop, then start on the menu item on the left for "Reinforced Top Holsters".

Pick either the Gen II or the standard style (mine are original since they were pre-Gen II), pick the gun & model, pick Artemis cut, sweatshield for right or left, color preference & plush lining.

You'll end up around $40 or so.....................hope it works for you.

MM

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
MontanaMan's suggestion of the Remora holster is cheap enough to just try as an experiment, so I put in an order. Might order something else from the other good suggestions made so far. I need to see if I can tolerate IWB before springing for one of the expensive models.

Rocky Raab told me years a go that I would end up with a shoebox full of holsters I don't use anymore.... LOL.... he was right. Though I do have a few that I routinely use.

Anyway, the Remora lets me step up to a full size 9mm, which is much easier to shoot accurately, plus being a bit more potent. I load Hornady XTP bullets for that.

Probably the next step up from that is my 41 Mag snubby. I have a pancake holster for it, and it shoots very well and carries decently for me.

One sweet spot in the revolver landscape is a 44 Special. Basically, 45 ACP power in a small, light package. But then there is the thickness of that darn cylinder.
If you like the P238, why not step up to the P938 in 9mm? Mine doesn't recoil badly even with hot 9's. It is not appreciably bigger than the 380 version. If you're not worried about concealment, then there are a lot of other options. You'll just never get as good a concealment with a revolver.

Might as well step up to the Sig P365. Not all that much larger that the Sig 938 with twice as many rounds.
I don't disagree, but Denton already has the P238 which is essentially the same gun as the 938 in a better caliber. In my case, I've got the 938 and a M&P Compact in the same caliber, so it's hardly worth it for me to get an in-between the two gun. But I might, in the future, since I've heard almost nothing bad about the 365.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Thread needs pics. You could always skip the small stuff and go with the Governor.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
An Airweight with an Uncle Mikes Combat Grip has been my EDC for more than 25 years, for most all of that time I carried it in a nondescript waist pack. What became obvious at the White Settlement incident was what I had always read, if you can’t get the gun out and presented in two seconds or less you might as well hang it up.

I’ve shot it often over the years, center mass torso hits at 15 oughtta be routinely doable, the same with careful aimed fire at 25.

I was reasonably fast getting it out of that waist pack but for me it’s even faster coming out of a front pocket where it is contained in an Uncle Mike’s pocket holster. In the woods I always carried a Glock 19 in that same waist pack but have now gone to an outside the waistband holster just behind my hip, my son has the Glock so now I’m using a 9mm Springfield Armory XDs, Only half as many rounds as the 19 but I shoot it well, hopefully 8+ 1 will be enough.

Birdy,

The mags for the XDS are small, throw a couple extra in the old pockets.

Yep. My experience with the XDS in .45 acp was good. I always carried 2 spare mags for it when I packed it.

Yea, I like mine in 9mm. I only carry it when I have to dress up and can't dress around something more substantial. With the extended 8 round magazines I get a good grip with the whole and, and, for me, the grip geometry make it shoot better than I would expect from a pistol of that size. I'll be interested is taking a look at Springfield's new replacement for it, the Hellcat when it's in stores around here.

I have a couple of single-stack 7 round magazines, compact and easy to carry as extras. I like the 8 round magazines much better on account of the extra grip they provide. I have a 9 round magazine too, don’t need a grip that long and harder to conceal but nice to have the option.

My hands ain’t especially large but I don’t like it when my little finger is just hanging in space. The Uncle Mikes Combat Grip on an Airweight does compromise concealability somewhat but provides positive and consistent indexing in the hand when grabbed as fast as possible, draws and presents the exact same way every time. I find this is not true of shorter grips.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I've heard almost nothing bad about the 365.

Seriously??

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by MontanaMan

I’ll have to give the Remora holsters a try.
Where do you purchase yours MM ?

Go here: Remora Holsters

Click, Shop, then start on the menu item on the left for "Reinforced Top Holsters".

Pick either the Gen II or the standard style (mine are original since they were pre-Gen II), pick the gun & model, pick Artemis cut, sweatshield for right or left, color preference & plush lining.

You'll end up around $40 or so.....................hope it works for you.

MM

Thanks MM. I’ll give one a try for my Sig P365

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
I've heard almost nothing bad about the 365.

Seriously??

Not much.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
As I watched the video I learned so much. It did raise some questions that some of you could answer.

From the video angle would have been a shot to the left side of the shooter. Someone returning fire would have much less to shoot at than a frontal shot. The question also comes up , what is under the sweat shirt that he is wearing.

Those of you that more knowledgeable how does this factor into, what is a adequate caliber and where do I aim to take him out.

D
denton Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
OK, having read every response carefully, here's what is happening so far:

For the moment, I'm switching to carrying my XDs. It's a little bigger than the P238, and it shoots a little zippier cartridge. With the 8 round magazine, I'm more accurate with it than with the P238, though the P238 makes a respectable showing. I could not abide the XDs factory trigger, so I slicked it up and changed out the springs, and now it's a decent alternative.

I have the Remora holster on its way. When that arrives, I'll order a new belt and try wearing my full size 9mm IWB. I've never gotten along with IWB carry, but maybe that's just because I haven't tried the right equipment. My full size 9mm is very easy to shoot, and very accurate.

If all that doesn't work out, then I guess it's back to my snubby 41 Mag. I have a pancake holster for it, and it shoots and carries surprisingly well. I just object to the weight and the tendency to pull my pants down on the right side.

No way I'm carrying my 1911... too heavy, and too valuable to end up in a police evidence locker.

Be not weary in well doing.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
JFC! get a phuggin Glock and practice until your hands bleed. There is no easy way! A 41 mag snubby? You really aren't serious. You have received lots of good advice and are still hoping that the gear will solve your problems. Go to a good class, listen, then practice, practice practice. There is no easy path to being a competent shooter.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
D
denton Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
I do shoot fairly often, and that 41 Mag is an abundantly accurate piece. It will put 170 grain bullets at nearly 1400 FPS into about 2 1/2" at 15 yards. What's not to like about that?

Oh. Yeah. The weight. And the blast. It's ported.

Be not weary in well doing.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I just object to the weight and the tendency to pull my pants down on the right side.

That's a part of the beauty of the Remora................because it's inside your belt & pants but not hanging onto the belt, it tends to not cause the problem you are referring to. It's held in place buy the tackiness of the holster material itself.

I can easily carry a steel framed Commander sized 1911 w/o any pants / belt issues. Yes, the weight is still on your hip, but your belt is not being sagged down.

The weight of the 5" 1911 is not a problem for me, but the length is if much of my time is sitting down.

MM

Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

610 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 160user, 1lessdog, 52 invisible), 2,426 guests, and 1,304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,832
Posts18,478,032
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.