B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by iddave
I gotta ask Paul,...

Do you see yourself as some sort of liaison that is going to convince “neutral” people to embrace the idea of bicycles on the roads?...or are you simply trolling for attention because it amuses you?

If it’s the former, then I can tell you you’re badly missing the mark. You’re coming across as an azzhole partner, and I truly mean that with the least offense possible. If it’s the latter, then by all means press on and enjoy yourself and all the associated discontent.

I’ll state for the record I’m largely indifferent about the topic, and ride my bike to work with some degree of frequency during the summer on a combination of roads and trails. I’ll also state for the record I come across as an azzhole at times as well.

Dave

I am not presenting myself as an ambassador for bicycling on the road at all. People have made up their mind, and I won't move the needle at all. If someone wants to have a discussion, I'll have one. If someone wants to whine, I'll tell them they are whining. If someone wants to try to make bicyclists on the road out to be a "problem" I'll illustrate how they aren't. I have learned that people feel a need to bitch about bicyclists. This is a place for them to do that. It seems folks are enjoying themselves.

I'll correct the highlighted portion of your post. You'll throw bullchit out there and paint a pic with your bloody tampon that isn't close to reality. But carry on, it is funny.

This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

It's official. I missed the selfie deadline so I'm Maser's sock puppet because rene and the Polish half of the fubar twins have decided that I am.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ μολὼν λαβέ

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Didn't think we could find any lower IQ people from a Democrat trolls on the campfire. But I was wrong. Spandex wearing monkey wins the stupidity contest

Last edited by ldholton; 01/05/20.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by ldholton
Originally Posted by WayneShaw
I haven't read all the posts here, but I will offer my opinion. I live on a rural road. There are no shoulders, no sidewalks and the lanes aren't as wide as an interstate by any means. And the roads aren't straight, many curves and hills, you can't see what is ahead half the time. Why cyclists pick these roads to ride I ave no idea, especially since they ride in the middle of the lane. In my view, they are asking for an accident, because sooner or later it will happen. Either the cyclist will get run over, pushed off the road and wreck, or cause a head on with an on coming car. It's not safe for anyone, yet they still do it. It should be restricted to proper roads only, where everyone's safety is as best as can be.

Or drivers could simply not outdrive their line of sight, and everything would be fine. But I certainly understand the mentality that finds fault with the cyclist when a motorist outdrives their line of sight. I really like the part about the cyclist "causing" a head-on! Nice work.

These are the type of Roads that I haul farm and Industrial Equipment quite often, 14 and 16 ft wide down and find some [bleep] dumb bicyclist at the bottom of a hill in a curve that can't pedal up the next f****** help son of a b**** ass need to go back to town where you came from

Notice super Paula has not addressed this .... pussy

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by GregW
The OP loves the attention, yes. That's the point of his threads.....

That's the point of ALL social media posts.

Umm, no. But it explains your contributions succinctly....

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Pearls Before Swine comic strip visits this topic from time to time.

[Linked Image from pbs.twimg.com]

IC B2

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Bicyclists try to prove they are tough and can take it, until it comes to grills and bumpers.

It should be spelled 'byecyclists'.

Last edited by jaguartx; 01/06/20.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Okanagan
I don't hate bicyclists. I just think many of them are extremely foolish in the risks they take with their lives, which is OK with me except that their risk involves drivers of other vehicles. That kind are arrogant elitists who insist that all traffic and the rest of the world give way, go around them no matter how inconvenient or unsafe, and leave their little slowly moving patch of roadway sacrosanct. FWIW, on the stretch of curvy highway heavy with logging traffic, I have come around a corner with rockslide boulders on the road, deer and elk in the road, a tree down in the dark one morning.. and have hit none of them. None of them have been as much hassle or hazard as a bicyclist claiming the lane as his and requiring everyone to cross the center line to go around him.

I do hate some bicycle traffic channels that are designed to cause bike/vehicle collisions for those who obey the traffic signs.
Don't know if it is still there but there used to be a designed disaster bike lane on a quarter mile long hill in the north end of the Seattle sprawl. A four lane street with a 35 mph speed limit ran straight down the medium steep slope, with a couple of cross streets, the one near the bottom of the hill with a stop light. The traffic folks added a bike lane on the far right hand side of the downhill lanes.

Bikes going down the hill could easily get up to 35 mph. A driver going downhill who was turning right at a green stoplight could have a bicyclist speeding past him on his right perfectly timed to hit the side of his car. It is normally illegal to make a right turn from a center lane, due to the risk of a vehicle on the right of the one turning... but this fiasco is DESIGNED that way! Both the car turning right and the cyclist going straight through have a green light!

I learned to not only look for pedestrians and cross traffic but to watch for some hard-to-see nitwit bicyclist with a green light whizzing past me on my right as I made a right turn. I never hit one but it was not due to cyclist caution, ever. They had a green light and seemed oblivious to other traffic. That suicide bike lane is one of the reasons I'm glad I moved.

Okanagan is spot on.

I ride a fair bit in the warmer months but limit it to back roads and trails. I get fairly disgusted with what I call the "roadie" mentality by many bikers that maintain the attitude that Okanagan describes. Arrogance and stupidity rules the day with many of these people and they pay the price for it at times.

Paul, you are correct that the amount of time it takes a driver to move around a slower "biker" is not much in the big scheme of things, in many cases, but as Billy Goat Gruff mentioned, the traffic here in this part of MT. has gotten too crazy for sane people to spend much time on the highways riding their bikes. I used to ride sections of our local HWY 93 to access forest service roads but have stopped that because of of increased traffic and the danger involved. Instead I drive my truck to the trailhead/FS road for access. When I do ride pavement on the farm roads I ride outside the white line if there is one and am more than willing to pull off into the ditch to let traffic go by if there may be a safety issue. It takes me no longer to do that and get going again than it does the motorist to slow down and go around me. And contrary to popular opinion, I defer to laws of physics long before I ever look to traffic laws to claim innocence.

I have never been to Louisiana, but I can tell you(as an example) anyone who rides a bike on what we refer to as the High Line(hwy 2) from the Flathead in the west corner of the state east to where SamO lives is an idiot. This is a narrow two lane hwy with 70 mph speed limits and many miles between towns where people need to make up time traveling long distances to get the basics, like food.

I had a near head on with two "roadies" coming off Marias pass on hwy 2 last summer when trying to pass a motor home. There was plenty of time between oncoming traffic but the two bikers were in a section of highway with guard rail on both sides. Because of the angle of the curve and timing they were hidden behind the motor home because of their size. A car would be easy to see but two bikers side by side hunched over their handle bars hugging the inside left lane guard rail disappeared until I moved into the left lane to pass. As soon as I did I saw them and hit the breaks and moved back into my lane. They may have had the right to ride the road but they were idiots for doing so, especially on that section during summer time traffic.

On the flip side, albeit very rarely, I've had a motorist act like a total Ricardo Cabeza for no reason other than they hate "bikers" and honk just as they pass, try to side swipe me with their mirrors, make threats etc. This has occurred while riding on back roads, no oncoming traffic, or any other excuse for them to be a-holes, and me minding my own business, riding in a safe manner.

Thing is, a-holes come in all shapes and sizes, operating all kinds of vehicles/ objects. It's part of life and the trick is to hold blame where it belongs, with the individual, not the entire population who use the same "thing" they are associated with. Kinda like guns.

Last edited by SBTCO; 01/05/20.

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
Pearls Before Swine comic strip visits this topic from time to time.

[Linked Image from pbs.twimg.com]

Best post of the night! grin

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SBTCO
Thing is, a-holes come in all shapes and sizes, operating all kinds of vehicles/ objects. It's part of life and the trick is to hold blame where it belongs, with the individual, not the entire population who use the same "thing" they are associated with.

here here

Last edited by Salty303; 01/05/20.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I ride to work most days, and over the last 5 1/2 years I’ve ridden across twelve states, four countries and two continents.

Go ahead, run my a$$ over, see if I care grin

‘bout time I met Black Jesus anyhow.....

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

It takes a little depth of thought to comprehend this, but responses/attention are why people post on social media. Anyone that says otherwise isn't being honest or isn't thinking. Whether you post something entertaining, educational, enlightening or otherwise you are hoping people pay attention to it. If everyone on the forum had you on ignore, would you post?

There can be a fine line between trolling and a thread like this. Trolls will not engage in intellectually honest discussion. While I full well knew most of the responses would be of the "Spandex monkey" type, I happily engaged in thoughtful exchange when respondents wanted it. Trolls don't do that.

I created this thread as a place for people to vent about bicyclists. With that said when I felt like people had serious questions or concerns I responded politely, often providing links to support my comments. I have pointed to behaviors some bicyclists engage in that I will not. I have cited the law. When it appeared people wanted banter, I played right along. I have steadfastly put the "problem" of bicycles on the road in the correct perspective. In the grand scheme of things they are scarcely a blip on the radar. Very easy to deal with. More so than the other motorists on the road. Yet when you look at the responses, the emotion, the anger, the irrationality put on display you'd think they were a bigger deal than distracted or drunk drivers.

Going back to why I created the thread. You are here. If you hadn't found some kind of value in the thread, you wouldn't be here. You do know that you could quietly drift away from it if you don't find value right?

V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
Power to ya, if you enjoy it, do it.

Hell, I might even buy a bike this spring. But I will not ride on highways with oilfield traffic. I will find trails meant for bikes.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by viking
Power to ya, if you enjoy it, do it.

Hell, I might even buy a bike this spring. But I will not ride on highways with oilfield traffic. I will find trails meant for bikes.

I much prefer trails to roads, but trails do not exist in some parts of the country. I'd encourage you to get a bike. It's great exercise and easy on the old joints. I think you'll also find that you get some of the same joy out of cycling that you do out of hunting when you are bicycling out away from it all. You may even find the bicycle a great way to scout.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

It takes a little depth of thought to comprehend this, but responses/attention are why people post on social media. Anyone that says otherwise isn't being honest or isn't thinking. Whether you post something entertaining, educational, enlightening or otherwise you are hoping people pay attention to it. If everyone on the forum had you on ignore, would you post?

There can be a fine line between trolling and a thread like this. Trolls will not engage in intellectually honest discussion. While I full well knew most of the responses would be of the "Spandex monkey" type, I happily engaged in thoughtful exchange when respondents wanted it. Trolls don't do that.

I created this thread as a place for people to vent about bicyclists. With that said when I felt like people had serious questions or concerns I responded politely, often providing links to support my comments. I have pointed to behaviors some bicyclists engage in that I will not. I have cited the law. When it appeared people wanted banter, I played right along. I have steadfastly put the "problem" of bicycles on the road in the correct perspective. In the grand scheme of things they are scarcely a blip on the radar. Very easy to deal with. More so than the other motorists on the road. Yet when you look at the responses, the emotion, the anger, the irrationality put on display you'd think they were a bigger deal than distracted or drunk drivers.

Going back to why I created the thread. You are here. If you hadn't found some kind of value in the thread, you wouldn't be here. You do know that you could quietly drift away from it if you don't find value right?

You know what doesn't take a lot of depth of thought? You are one arrogant, passive agressive dude....

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Napolean Syndrome?

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Attention starved grown child.

It's official. I missed the selfie deadline so I'm Maser's sock puppet because rene and the Polish half of the fubar twins have decided that I am.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ μολὼν λαβέ
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

You know what doesn't take a lot of depth of thought? You are one arrogant, passive agressive dude....

Great thoughtful, substantive post! I do apologize if I came off as passive in any way.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Napolean Syndrome?

Shouldn't you be off copy and pasting mind-dead content?

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
This is an old thread, and all I can add to it is that an old friend was killed on a rural Utah highway by a distracted teenager doing 70 mph. My brother-in-law and a good friend's son were killed on their motorcycles. The roads are more dangerous than ever.

NRA Endowment Life Member, G.O.A supporter
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
ALL the cyclists where I live are self entitled stupid jerks who think they own the streets. They ride expensive looking skinny tired bikes with skinny seats and dress like wanna be bike racers. I'm sure that almost all of them are transplanted Democrats from........

I think this pretty well nails it. Judging from the pompous remarks from the OP, confirms it.

Page 34 of 43 1 2 32 33 34 35 36 42 43

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

669 members (10Glocks, 160user, 06hunter59, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 68 invisible), 2,734 guests, and 1,435 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,099
Posts18,483,079
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.