-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Am buried, guess happily?, in piddly projects. Recent purchases that need going thru. Bedding jobs awaiting me. Daunting backlog of reloading.

Family bought me a flintlock muzzleloader kit, very grateful, am stoked; challenge will be making the time, but i shall.

New stuff: Put back together browning safari (sako) 22-250, awaits different rings from conetrol. Paul Jaeger mauser ‘06 back together now. Still in the clean-up queue: win 1873 44wcf and 22long; 1892 32-20; MAS 22lr, mauser 340 22lr.

Laid in a few mauser actions. Something to dream about, anyway.

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I may not get to it this winter but picked up an Ithaca 16 gauge SxS that belonged to a deceased friend. It just needs a stock refinish and to have the checkering recut. I plan to use it in his memory.

LOL
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Gonna get a laminated benchrest stock from Richards Microfit for my 40X. They have some really flashy colors, not yet decided on that.

[Linked Image]
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by renegade50
Originally Posted by T Bone
Found a used and abused Rem 788 in .308 for $150.

Mostly dirty. I mean dirty. I doubt the bore had ever been cleaned.

After 2 hours of soaking and scrubbing, the bore looked great. The exterior turned out better than expected. No deep pits, most of the surface rust came off, only leaving some freckling.

The stock is fugly and had been painted. An old recoil pad was added at some time, and LOP is a perfect 14". I may repaint the stock, maybe not.

I reassembled and mounted up a scope.

Five rounds into about 1.5" at 100.

I just finished bedding, free floating, and removed the front and rear sights.

I'll see if it will go sub MOA with the bedding and perhaps some load development.

Ran into one bout 2 weeks ago at a pawn america here in town
Was really tempted at intial look
Looking at it on the rack abour 10 ft away.
Looked like an aftermarket syn stock on it and a nice semi matte finish.

Granny ffl holder handed it over to me after jarring 3 other rifles with it taking it out of the rack.
I made comments like
That was a 20 buck scratch just put on it.
Oops their is a 10 buck gouge in the stock
She wasnt even hearing me, totally oblivious to the planet.
But other employees were hearing the clanging and banging and my comments and doing eyerolls watching her.
Someone had spray painted the entire rifle with that textured coating spray paint and the price was $299 ( lmfao inside myhead)
Asked to remove the trigger lock so i could check function, the bolt face for signs of recession and the bore.
Nope she wouldnt do it.
Company policy....
Im like well thats funny cause all the other pawn america shops in town have no problems letting me in depth examine guns. Hell they have even let me pull bores with a boresnake when i run home and get one and have even let me disassemble guns to take pics of marks.

She just clams up and is giving me the rainman look while i am " examining" it.
The crown looked semi decent at least......
But the 1st half inch of bore angling it to the lights looked like a peruvian copper mine...

Another employee on the sly told me come back on wensday when granny wasnt their and i could examine it like I asked too.
Never went back...
Specially at $299 and it just coming out of pawn for sale.
I have dealt with this granny before and her careless handling of guns in the rack.
And her numbnuts full blown retail sale valuations.

Told her no way i would buy it at 299
175 to 200 otd would be my best offer and that was after i was allowed to examine it.
Nope cant look at it like you want.
Told granny
Would you buy jewelry or shoe with checking em out or trying em on

She looked at me like a bitter old hag and said this is a gun being sold As Is.

I chuckled at her a little and said As Is based on a condition examine or As Is based on what you think about it.

Once again got the rainman look briefly and she said are you done looking at it.

Yep I sure am I geuss.....

No sale.
LOL...
she clanged and banged it back up in the rack...

Gawd.....
Hahahaha!!!!

Other employees in the place have said to me in the past she should not be allowed to handle and deal with the guns and their sales in guns are way less than the other shops in town.
But the FFL is under her name and when she is their it is her little world for her and only her to deal with in her mind.

I have at times been tempted to call corparate and ask WTF is up with this one shop.

Their are 4 pawn america,s in town.
I dont remember ever doing a transaction in this one shop over the years.
Their inventory compared to the other shops sucks for selection and condition also as a whole.

Lots of time guns from this shop get transferred to the others to sell
Per corparate directive after x amount of time.

Cause granny is hardheaded.

Lol!!!

Used to frequent a shop with an old hag exactly like her 15-20 years ago. Did a few transfers there. The last one she says "That'll be $40". I say "Waaaat?". She says, "Yep, 'cause we aren't making anything on the gun since you bought it elsewhere". I look at p_dubbed husband and he just bows his head. Haven't been in there in years.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
R
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Luckily, I got Midsouth shooters supply down the road about 3 miles.

15 buck useage fee and 10 buck background check for transfers.

Most everyone has heard of em or they are already set up online with places drop down menu.

Just roll down their
Tell steve at the counter the info and shipping #
Gives ya a call for a 2 hr heads up when it gets in for pick up.
Stay away from the chubby guy at the counter, dude cant even remember a 7 digit ph# when ya repeat it to him slowly 4 or 5 times.

Anyone that has been to midsouth local customer office and pick up knows what I'm saying about the chubby dude.

Lol!!!

Last edited by renegade50; 01/06/20.
IC B2

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by sandcritter
Am buried, guess happily?, in piddly projects. Recent purchases that need going thru. Bedding jobs awaiting me. Daunting backlog of reloading.

Family bought me a flintlock muzzleloader kit, very grateful, am stoked; challenge will be making the time, but i shall.

New stuff: Put back together browning safari (sako) 22-250, awaits different rings from conetrol. Paul Jaeger mauser ‘06 back together now. Still in the clean-up queue: win 1873 44wcf and 22long; 1892 32-20; MAS 22lr, mauser 340 22lr.

Laid in a few mauser actions. Something to dream about, anyway.

I had a hunting bud up at Llano Tx. Helluva gunsmith. Wood, metal, the works. Taught me lots. He used to take thos MAS 45’s (22 LR) and when he got finished with one it looked like a Win model 52 Sporter deluxe! I do miss him.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Renegade50: I have a BUNCH of winter gunshows coming up and have done several in the last couple of months already.
Purchased several cool Rifles of recent - about 50% of them I have scoped up and brought online with good loads or accurate factory ammunition. The other half I purchased as "investments" or for quick re-sale (profit!).
My first love in the "gun world" is and always has been Rifles, especially Varmint Rifles and collectible pre-64 Winchester Model 70's.
Have a gunshow in northern Idaho coming up right away and will be travelling to Livingston, Montana and then Billings, Montana in the next month for gunshow's and gunshop's therein.
Long live the Second Amendment.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Going to re-model the "gun room" under the stairs. I went from having my dream shop in my machine shed on the farm to having a cubbyhole under the stairs...feeling sorry for me yet? Anyhoo, the challenge is getting my reloading stuff and my gunsmithing stuff into roughly 200 sq ft. Kind of looking forward to it actually. Won't be any project guns until next year.

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Front to back-

99R 243 stock repair

38-55 special order carbine, stock repair, fitted an extra 410 barrel to the frame, refinish

99DL stock refinish (experimenting with stain streaking) waiting for it to dry to smooth and seal.

30-30 made from parts, reshape buttstock from an aftermarket club

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Hey Roy, is the streak stain method what was used on those stocks that look like McWoody's?
Very cool looking from the photos.
Maybe you would do a tutorial on that for us? I'd love to see how you did that.

Mark

NRA Life Member
Anytime anyone kicks cancers azz is a good day!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Skinner peep tomorrow on crescent plate Model 14 in 35 rem

Dunno how much taller front it will need

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by m_stevenson

Hey Roy, is the streak stain method what was used on those stocks that look like McWoody's? An idea I've been pondering and thought it would work so I finally tried it.

Very cool looking from the photos. Thank you, I hope it finishes out like I'm hoping, but it's been slow drying so far.

If I did that on the open forum I'd have 7 people call me names, 13 tell me it can't be done, 22 tell me I'm doing it wrong and this method X,Y,Z is 100 x better, and the rest would just mock and throw spitballs LOL. If it works out I'll post some photos when I'm done, if not I won't so I don't have to hear all the above! grin

[/quote]

LOL
R
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by hookeye
Skinner peep tomorrow on crescent plate Model 14 in 35 rem

Dunno how much taller front it will need

I just put a .570 williams on my 36g saturday to calibrate to the redfield 70m receiver sight bristoe sent me.

Needed about .048 of height to get my rounds down where they belong
Was about 4 inches high at 100
Previous front post was right at 15/ 16ths around .485 ish in height.

So with the .570 i have room to file if needed.

That big of a williams is basicallly a big rectangle shaped eyesore IMO.
Installed it.
Did a rolling front slope profile with the dremel intially and left the rear 1/4 th inch portion with 1/16th brass bead intact.

Had ta do some fine filing on the face of the bead to get rid of some uneven mushrooming of its shape from where they press em in .
Gave the top 1/3rd of the bead a very slight slope to catch light hopefully a little better.
If it dont work very well , just file it flat again

Did some final filing on profile degreased it with some acetone, hit with some q tips with bluing.

Need ta get dailed in and zeroed now.

WTF is up with the image gallery.

Wont load images over 2 mb...

Used ta be 8mb IIRC????

Ok I unfugged myself....

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Originally Posted by m_stevenson

Hey Roy, is the streak stain method what was used on those stocks that look like McWoody's? An idea I've been pondering and thought it would work so I finally tried it.

Very cool looking from the photos. Thank you, I hope it finishes out like I'm hoping, but it's been slow drying so far.

If I did that on the open forum I'd have 7 people call me names, 13 tell me it can't be done, 22 tell me I'm doing it wrong and this method X,Y,Z is 100 x better, and the rest would just mock and throw spitballs LOL. If it works out I'll post some photos when I'm done, if not I won't so I don't have to hear all the above! grin

[/quote]

You are 100% correct dude.

People would armchair QB you for sure.

Types that never post pics of " their work" ...........

You think that stain underneth is not dry yet and the finish on top of the darker areas is still kinda soft.

Likes like a pretty cool technique to try.
Are you highlighting dark grain doing it or light grain
Or just going over the grain in a random or some thought out image in you mind???

Just a suggestion with the streak staining.
Hit the darker areas with some mineral spirits with q tips maybe before putting on the finish?
Give some more evaporation/ Vo2 ability to dry????
But it might dull or dilute the effect you have on the wood ????

Or mix the darker stain area (if oil based stain) with the mineral spirits 1st before applying for same evap/ v02 drying next time

The mineral spirits seem to help me with intial penetration of finishes I use. Tru oil and spar urethane.

I would be the last person to hammer you on your work with 99,s
You are the guru of those.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I bought a "Bubba'd" Marlin 336 in 30-30 that had the barrel damaged inside and rusted outside. I had it bored to 35-30 , and now I'm in the process of refinishing the stock and re-bluing some of the metal parts. Whoever had this gun must have let a heathen drag it through the woods and put it up wet. It looked like they had jammed a screwdriver in the bore and hammered on it. I must say it is 100% better now and I want to deer hunt with it next year. Figuring out how to reload for it has been fun too. It is a wildcat chambering and I have to learn on my own to some degree.

Last edited by reivertom; 01/06/20.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Pretty good thread for a buncha general forumites

Lol!!!

Not political.
No cake pans.
Or discussion hijack about stool softeners. crazy laugh
Aint even had a squabble erupt yet.

Yet......... laugh

Lol!!!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Mmmmmm, hmmmm

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I was just eyeballing a couple Model 700 stocks I've had laying around for a while now. May have to pick up a barreled action and put one of them together again. Something in a quarter bore. Maybe a Bob, or a 25-06.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
R
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by slumlord
Mmmmmm, hmmmm

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Your a fugging jackwagon dude!!!!

Lol!!!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Went to Cabelas today, was out that way looking for door hardware n chit anyways so.. Wandered around checking out the deeply discounted baskets of junk. lol. Not that bad really and there were some decent deals but I'm getting to the point where I don't really need anything so just passing time really I guess.

Lets try a change of pace I think and head over to the used gun section. Oh excuse me. . the gun library smirk Like this thread topic I was only maybe interested in something older and cool and needing love for a decent price. Another waste of time. They had a couple real nice BRNOs for 15 hun. A couple older m 700s for 7-800?! Other than that it was used Axis', Americans and such for too much. Been a while since I tried the ahem... gun library.. now I remember why.

Its all good I've got an FN Husqvarna sporter that I've been packing around for too long without getting it going. And a couple others with no optics or plan so maybe good I didn't drag another cause home.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Clean off my reloading table, there’s a project.

It’s covered in project rifles. crazy

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

540 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 1234, 06hunter59, 219 Wasp, 63 invisible), 2,852 guests, and 1,202 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,311
Posts18,487,258
Members73,968
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.