Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 14 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 13 14
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I cashed a check at a bank one time and kept the cash on me for a few days in case I needed it. I didn't spend any of it so I decided to deposit it into an account at another bank. One of the $20 bills was counterfeit so they wouldn't deposit it into my account. I asked for it back but all they would give me was a photo copy. I took the photo copy to the first bank and explained to them what had happened and they just about laughed me out of there.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by EMoore
I bought a used car with cash once....got reamed hardcore about it. The dealership acted like it was an inconvenience for em. I'd think a bad check would be more inconvenient but what do I know?

About as much as I know about banking.
For you ballers with safes and mattresses full of cash, it isn't all about cash. I tried to deposit a check for my mom with a deposit slip for $500. I couldn't so it because she wasn't there and I didn't have an account at that bank.

The dealer gets the stink eye too. You do a SAR and I think they do too which can trigger audits etc. Funny, it wasn't a big deal for Obama to use a pallet full of cash to help out his moose slim cousins. This is all because of the drug dealers. I think that's why the thousand dollar bill is out of circulation.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Remember when Carmela Soprano stole $40,000.00 of Tony's cash from the duck feed bins? She went right to four different brokerage houses and set up an account with each in her name in exactly $9,999.99.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by smokinggun
I cashed a check at a bank one time and kept the cash on me for a few days in case I needed it. I didn't spend any of it so I decided to deposit it into an account at another bank. One of the $20 bills was counterfeit so they wouldn't deposit it into my account. I asked for it back but all they would give me was a photo copy. I took the photo copy to the first bank and explained to them what had happened and they just about laughed me out of there.

Holy crap!

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by smarquez
[quote=EMoore]Funny, it wasn't a big deal for Obama to use a pallet full of cash to help out his moose slim cousins.

Just for accuracy's sake, I would clarify that the money that went to Iran was money that belonged to Iran, but was frozen by the US during the hostage crisis. Obama agreed to unfreeze it, but since Iran is blocked from doing business with regular banks, he couldn't just cut them a check for it. Cash was the only way the transaction could take place.

IC B2

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Remember when Carmela Soprano stole $40,000.00 of Tony's cash from the duck feed bins? She went right to four different brokerage houses and set up an account with each in her name in exactly $9,999.99.

I really hope you don’t get your financial info from the sopranos.

That will get you in some really hot water.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Calvin
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

I really hope you don’t get your financial info from the sopranos.

That will get you in some really hot water.

The show was alluding to the limit of $10,00.00, over which financial institutions must report. I wasn't offering advice.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I had a saving account in one back I forgot about, it wasent active, well PA has this freaking law that after the first year with no activity the account comes dormant, second year of no activity it comes frozen, the 3rd year of no activity the PA goverment seized it. then comes the fun part trying to get YOUR money back, took me two years. and the bank never informed me that all this was going on and you would think with interest deposits it would keep it active

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
My currency says "This Note Is Legal Tender For All Debts, Public And Private."

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Want to really get torked off, read about Civil Forfeiture. You are no longer assumed to be innocent until proven guilty.

IC B3

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by gemby58
I had a saving account in one back I forgot about, it wasent active, well PA has this freaking law that after the first year with no activity the account comes dormant, second year of no activity it comes frozen, the 3rd year of no activity the PA goverment seized it. then comes the fun part trying to get YOUR money back, took me two years. and the bank never informed me that all this was going on and you would think with interest deposits it would keep it active

Isn't that something?

Takes a real azzhole to come up with something like that.

I am MAGA.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by MadDog4298
Originally Posted by TimberRunner
There's a lot of bullchit in this thread. Cash is king.

I used to think this to but after my last truck buying experience you mention cash and the dealerships start backing down. It used to have some buying power.

Yeah but when you pay cash they don't get the kickbacks from the bank or finance company.

Oh, and if it's over $10K they have to report may not be correct. I needed to deposit some cash after selling my boat and the limit is $9,000. THat's what I was told at my credit union.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Coworker went to buy a new basic farm truck, cash.
Over 10 K barely, the law new (1999?)

Pissed him off, red flagged after family did biz there for decades.

Took biz (right or wrong) elsewhere.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RickyD
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
... don't try to use it to (partially) buy a house. It's not accepted.

mad mad

Now what I need is 25 people to tell me what an idiot I am.

Go.

That's way more true than you know. You can't buy much of anything. But if you are careful, you can spend it on some things, groceries, used vehicles, guns, etc. But it's not safe in your safe. If they come to your house and find it in your safe, they will take away from you and you will play hell, getting it back.

WTF happened to America?

Demoncraps.

Plenty of GOPers voted for, signed, and enforced these sorts of laws.

Once you realize that "GOP vs Dem" is just a show akin to the "Harlem Globetrotters vs Washington Generals," you'll be close:
1. Its a show.
2. Both sides get paid at the end of the day.
3. It is scripted and the outcome is known in advance.
4. Politicians are just (usually) fat and ugly actors/proxies for those making the real decisions.

Regards,

deadlift_dude
“The very first essential for success is a perpetually constant and regular employment of violence.”
----Fred Rogers
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Interestingly the drug lords are always a step ahead of the government. That's because the government is already bought and paid for in many cases. In the movie Sicario, They couldn't bust, the drug lords for laundering money through the bank. They borrowed the money from the bank and was running the payments through the bank, so there was no limit on the amount they were depositing as a payment. I'm not sure that's accurate as it's a movie, but wouldn't surprise me, if the government worked around the drug lords to make up rules that worked for them. This is all for show, so some cop that wants to give you a ticket can steal your money so it goes to the police department as part of their budget.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by jfruser

Plenty of GOPers voted for, signed, and enforced these sorts of laws.

Once you realize that "GOP vs Dem" is just a show akin to the "Harlem Globetrotters vs Washington Generals," you'll be close:
1. Its a show.
2. Both sides get paid at the end of the day.
3. It is scripted and the outcome is known in advance.
4. Politicians are just (usually) fat and ugly actors/proxies for those making the real decisions.

Yep.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by BobMt
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
I usually deal in cash. But not house buying amounts.

Your problem isn't that it is cash. They will most likely
let you use as much cash for a down as you want.

The issue is that they want to be sure YOU have skin in the game.
There will be a specific percent down that has to come from you.
Traceable to you. It assures them you are serious, and you are
less likely to default if $10%. of the value is your hard earned money.

If Aunt Sally gave you the money for the down, you wouldn't be as committed.

this......plus they would assume that you had to pay back the person you borrowed it from........bob

Funny you should mention this. Last week I gave my son $5k to start a business. It had to be a certified check, he had to have 3 months of my checking account it came out of and I had to sign a form letter that it was a gift and repayment wasn't required to satisfy the small business loan he also got.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Over 10 K

This is so the cartels can track each other, and know if there's a new player in town.

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Banks are slippery MFers.

Years ago I accidentally overdrew on my checking account, but had overdraft protection with the bank. As soon as I realized what happened, I deposited a large sum of money to correct the situation. Months later I figured out that they were still regularly charging me interest on the overdraft. I went to the bank and asked them WTF was going on. They told me that just depositing money doesn't erase the overdraft if you have overdraft protection. The deficit remains no matter how much you put in there unless you specifically tell the bank that you want this newly deposited money to erase the overdraft.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
... don't try to use it to (partially) buy a house. It's not accepted.

mad mad

Now what I need is 25 people to tell me what an idiot I am.

Go.

Right, its very beneficial to electronically track how and where the people are spending their money. The chip in card was an improvement but more needs to be done.

Page 8 of 14 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

510 members (1badf350, 257wthbylover, 219DW, 1936M71, 222Sako, 1234, 54 invisible), 2,451 guests, and 1,238 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,439
Posts18,489,434
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.