Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I had a Remington 700 22" 30-06 rebarreled with a 24" Remington TI 30-06 stainless fluted barrel about 2 years ago.
Have not shot it yet !!
I'm thinking of going home to Pa. this deer season to hunt with my life long friend at his camp like in our younger days.
Been about 14 years since I've been hunting at home.
(From Pa., always from Pa.)
Back in the day, and my buddy, to this day, we used 180 gr round nose bullets. He still loads them for his Amish Machine gun.
My last buck was with a round nose.
Since I'm starting from scratch, should I pick a general purpose bullet and hunt there, and here in the west for all manner of big game, or just load something for under 100 yard Pa. white tails?
What bullets ??

GB1

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Hunting in New York State with my Amish machine gun, all the whitetails I shot were with a 150 grain pointed soft point in 30-06, and they all expired immediately. With the 06, doesn't matter much as to bullet weight, just put the bullet in the right place and it will work fine, and you already know that.

Garry
Trump won !!!
Trying to live like a free man in the Communist Republic of New Jersey.
Love your country, distrust your government.
Democrats and the people who vote for them, enemies of America and a free American people
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Just close your eyes and pick one. I doubt there's a .30 bullet made that won't kill a whitetail deer.

More important concerns: Yuengling's vs. Straub's for hunting camp libation. Scrapple vs. smoked sausage for breakfast. Woolrich vs. camo. Lebanon baloney vs. ham for the deer stand sandwich.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Just close your eyes and pick one. I doubt there's a .30 bullet made that won't kill a whitetail deer.

More important concerns: Yuengling's vs. Straub's for hunting camp libation. Scrapple vs. smoked sausage for breakfast. Woolrich vs. camo. Lebanon baloney vs. ham for the deer stand sandwich.

Yuengling
Scrapple & sausage
Camo (it is Pennsyltucky afterall)
Lebanon baloney (sweet or regular no matter)
Round nose of your choice

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant

Whatever you like, Ballistic tip, Barnes TTSX, GameKing! They will kill deer

IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by splattermatic
...I'm thinking of going home to Pa. this deer season to hunt with my life long friend at his camp like in our younger days. Been about 14 years since I've been hunting at home. (From Pa., always from Pa.)

Back in the day, and my buddy, to this day, we used 180 gr round nose bullets. He still loads them for his Amish Machine gun. My last buck was with a round nose.

Since I'm starting from scratch, should I pick a general purpose bullet and hunt there, and here in the west for all manner of big game, or just load something for under 100 yard Pa. white tails? What bullets ??

This hunt will be a memory maker. Buy some RNs, load 'em up and enjoy your trip. It's not about the deer. It's about seeing an old friend and reliving some good times.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
FWIW, my younger brother uses standard cup and core 150 grain soft points. They kill deer dead right there if placed in an appropriate place. His handloads are going at about 2850 fps at the muzzle.

I use the same bullets in a .300 Savage. My handloads are going about 2600 fps. Same result.

That being said, almost any reasonably well constructed bullet of from 135-180 grains will kill a PA whitetail if placed appropriately and none of them will do the job if the shot is in the wrong place. Pick what you are comfortable with and shoot straight. Good luck on your hunt.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I've used 180gr Speer Round Nose bullets on several Wisconsin & Michigan Whitetails. 180gr RN Remington CoreLokts too. None have failed, all have exited. These were all out of a Remington 700 BDL 30/06.

Last edited by smitty_bs; 01/08/20.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I'm sure the PA woods are no different than the GA woods. Deer may be bigger though. RN will work, but don't offer a single advantage. Nothing special needed, use the same bullet you'd use anywhere else

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Which ever bullet weight you chose load your 30-06 down to 300 Savage velocity levels and you should be.... GOLDEN.

I would bet if you took a poll of the most popular 30-06 factory loading in Pa it would be the Remington 30-06 180 gr round nose core-lokt.

IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
180 core lokt

The way life should be.
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I’ve always felt the 180 Partition is the answer to all 30-06 bullet questions. Only shot one whitetail buck with it, but performance was perfect.

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
I debated the same question for a long time many years ago, 150 or 180 grain ? Have been shooting nothing but the 165 grain cup & core for northern Mi whitetails without a single reason to complain. Whatever you use in the '06 will be fine.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
About anything heavier than130 gr will work ,but if you want less meat damage,go heavy for caliber,assuming you don't shoot them in the shoulder.
I meet a lot of Michigan, Wisconsin whitetail hunters hunters out here in Colorado elk hunting.I usually ask them what they are carrying. A lot have pump or semi 30-06 Remingtons stuffed with 180 or 220gr RN a lot more towards the220 gr. They say that is what they use on whitetail where they hunt.
I started hunting whitetails in PA in the mid 50's with a32-20. My father used a Marlin 94 in 38-40 and killed a deer with it. It doesn't take much to kill them.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I am with the fella's that said load whatever you feel like.

I don't think there is a darned negative to a 180 grain RN of your choosing pushed along at 2400+ FPS though. Zeroed at an easy 200 yards offers plenty of range to shoot further if you wanted and should always leave an exit on the biggest of bucks. I don't typically care about blood trails out west, but in the thicker Eastern woods, they really take some stress off you when there are two holes leaking blood for you to find.

Semper Fi
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Sierra 165gr. Game King is my bullet of choice, kills whitetails with authority.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Yuengling
Scrapple
Lebanon sweet bologna (my hometown)
Camo (wool is itchy)

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
As to the purpose of the thread I like just about any 150 grain for our deer.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Ding, ding...
Steve Redgwell nailed it......
Going home to hunt with my life long buddy is priceless.
His wife still uses a 7600 carbine I gave her in 91 !
I'll be using this with round noser's
Just put a 3.5-10 on it this morning
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Pretty much any cup/n/core from 150-180 will do the job. No need for premiums.

Heaven has a wall, a gate and strict immigration policy.

Hell has open borders.

Let that sink in.....

I Live for Opening Day!
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
The last whitetails I shot there were with Horn. 150s and Sierra 165 gr. hpbt... Did a great job.. In those days thought the 06 was all I would ever use... It still does a fine job..

What county are you hunting in.. My last trips were to Clearfield and Indiana..

Molon Labe
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

THIS

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
The one time I hunted deer in Pennsyvania I took .280 Remington with 139-grain Hornady Interlocks. It didn't work, because I never saw a legal deer to shoot.

Lebanon baloney over ham, even in Montana.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Ding, ding...

Have a great time. We will have many guns and bullets in our lifetime, but very few life long buddies.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
True that.
Lebanon
Sausage
Camo
In clarion county.

Last edited by splattermatic; 01/09/20.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Huh. I may the last hunter in PA who still wears Woolrich (and MD, and WV, and...).

(Pic taken in MD. The big orange vest req'd in PA covers most of it.)

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Load up Partitions in 150, 165 and 180 grain.

Let your rifle decide.

“Factio democratica delenda est"
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Looking through my stash of stuff, I came across 4 box's of Winchester 180 gr power point round noser's and 6 box's of 150 gr spire point's.
Can't shoot kickers yet after back fusion. Asked today, after just 7 weeks out, he said no.
So I'll load some 168 gr ttsx's to go along with my partitions, and factory ammo, and be ready to test when doc says I can.
Not sure I'm going this year, but next for sure !
He and I chat several times a week, and always bring up times long ago.
Camp, has been updated to modern, but the hills around are still the same to some degree.
The old times still come back in our minds, when we were young.......
Last time I was home, we sat in the same tree stand, I with a buck tag, and an 06, and he with a doe tag, and a 44 mag pistol.
The doe was taken first when a small herd came past, shot from high up, almost straight down, through the head !
He make a great shot.
Shortly later a smallish 8 point came out of the pines.
My turn !
He was turning back to the pines, hesitated, and a 180 gr round nose caught him in the the laat rib on the right, and was found just under the skin on the front left shoulder. DRT.
Was a good morning some years ago...

Thanks for the memory rant....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I get the feeling it ain't the deer your after. You already have everything you need. Have fun.

Wag more, bark less.

The freedoms we surrender today will be the freedoms our grandchildren will never know existed.

The men who wrote the Second Amendment didn't just finish a hunting trip, they just finished liberating a nation.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Sucks getting old.....

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I was already loading the 150 gr Hornady spires in the 300 Savage when I bought my son a 30-06. Those Hornady's work well in either gun.

Scrapple or sausage, either one
Either beer
Woolrich
Lebanon bologna

And gnoahhh, you're not the last one wearing Woolrich, I'm out there too.

Dale

This space for rent

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I agree with many of the other posts, any 150 is fine for deer from a 30-06, but those that don't shatter or break up will be better if you like venison. I have had excellent results with the old simple Remington Core-Lokts and Winchester Power Points for many years and in many deer kills.

One that was really outstanding (I don't know if they are still made) is the 150 grain Hornady Round Nose. I once killed 5 deer with 5 shots (from a 308 Auto at about 165 yards) with this bullet, and every one dropped at the shot, or within about 2 seconds after. All had exits about 2" around. I killed others in other states and seasons, and I never had any complaints at all, and the accuracy was FAR better then what many might have guessed. In fact at 100 yards the groups were as good as many I shot with dedicated "target bullets".

But with a 30-06 it is pretty hard to find a load that won't work well on whitetails.

Last edited by szihn; 01/08/20.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Sucks getting old.....

Better than THE alternative.
---------------------------------------------

I never saw the need for a Round Nose in any rifle/cartridge I've ever hunted. * tube magazine ONLY reason *
Never bought a box of round nose bullets and not going to. (buy a box)
No bullets are brush busters ! Old Wives Tale.

308 or 30-06 150 spire points or 165 BTSP and NO failures in 46 yrs. of deer hunting.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I use round nose a lot for elk. Mostly 220 gr./06 Normally shots are close. Less than 50 yards and I found over the years, the 220 gr traveling at about 2450 give me better penetration, stay together doing it and with less meat loss vs the 165's or even 180 Spire points at 2700-2900 fps. Especially the BT's. I don't use them as brush busters , never thought they were.
In more open country I use 180 gr Nosler partitions, but on a occasion because that is what I had in the gun, I have dropped a few elk in the 300yard range or so.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I wouldn’t hesitate to shoot a deer with any bullet.

If larger game were on the table I would only use 150-200 grain bullets. I would want an Accubond/Partition/stout bullet if 150 grain. 165 and above I would be comfortable with the velocity for a cup and core.

Long story short 165 Accubond and either H4350 or INR4350.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Never thought of them as brush busters, just great mushrooming, and penetrators.
I think I've got a bunch of 150 gr round noser's.
I'm gonna go look around.
No round noser's, but I was surprised what I have.
L - R
Hornady 150 gr spfb
Nosler 150 gr Accubond
Barnes 150 gr tsx
Barnes 165 gr tsx
Barnes 168 gr ttsx
Nosler 165 gr solid base
Nosler 180 gr partition
Nosler 180 gr protected point partition

Last edited by splattermatic; 01/08/20.
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
My experience with the 30-06 on whitetails in PA started in 2010. Since then I've probably taken close to 20 deer using the 150gr Sierra Gameking handloaded at 2850/2900fps. One year I tried 180gr Gamekings and shot a buck in the thick stuff at less than 20yds. He trotted off like nothing happened and my brother shot him again 100 yards above me. There were 2 holes less than 2 inches apart. That particular bullet did not expand well and I went back to the 150s as they always did the job and made holes that leaked on both sides. This year I mixed it up a bit and used a .270 Win and 130gr Gamekings with equally fine results. Anyway, that is my personal experience and, as already said, most any weight 30cal bullet will get the job done.

More importantly, enjoy your time at camp and the camaraderie amongst friends. Nothing quite like deer camp here in PA. Due to callous greed and conflicting personalities, the third generation deer camp and property I have been a part of since I could walk is being sold. This was the last season before being locked out. I am at a loss and it really stings...I have no idea where to hunt next season. So, meet up with your friend and get out there, for no one knows what the future may hold.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've learned to like 180s in .30-06. I load them with 58.5 gr. of H4831. They aren't fast but they're good to over 300 yds. I use 180 Speer RN for hogs and 180 SST on deer. But sometimes the intended game isn't seen and the secondary target species shows up. Either load works fine for hog or deer. I was having large hogs leave with no blood trail if I used what was a very accurate load 56 grains of IMR4350 and a 155 Scenar. One that was hit high through the ribs ended up dead on my neighbors place 500 yards away.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
The only thing IMHO that will really make a difference in terms of whether they drop right away or not is whether you load round nose vs Spitzer. A 150 roundnose or flat nose 30-30 bullet loaded to 2800-2900 will drop them where they stand. Most spitzers won't, regardless of weight.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
TX

I’ve had plenty DRT (drop right there) with ‘pointy’ bullets.
That’s where speed is involved.

I read from GWs in the 70s that the 243/6mm cartridges had a HIGH % rate
of DRT.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I spent the first 20 years swearing by 180 grainers

Then I tried 165 grain Hornady IL SP and they were the schizz.

My son's rifle's all shoot 150 grain Rem SPCL they did just as good.

I recently fell into a lifetime supply of Hornady IL SP in 150 grain. When the 165s run out, I'm going to switch.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Keep in mind, alot of the counties have bear season along with deer now.

J
JDK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Timely post as I will be hunting the Allegheny NF for the first time ever this coming season. I was thinking about using my 7600 carbine but leaning towards something else right now. Was fretting over bullets but figure if it kills a deer here in Maine I should be able to do the same there.

I will be wearing wool however.

Last edited by JDK; 01/09/20.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Teeder
Keep in mind, alot of the counties have bear season along with deer now.

That's what drove me back to my 30-06

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JDK
Timely post as I will be hunting the Allegheny NF for the first time ever this coming season. I was thinking about using my 7600 carbine but leaning towards something else right now. Was fretting over bullets but figure if it kills a deer here in Maine I should be able to do the same there.

Why? Is there something better than a 7600 Carbine?

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
It's a deer. Pick a bullet that shoots well and put down some brown. Since you asked, my buddy uses 180gr TTSX. Puts em down well. Just as well as the green and yellow box core-lokt.

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery - Thomas Jefferson
J
JDK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by moosemike
Originally Posted by JDK

Why? Is there something better than a 7600 Carbine?

In my opinion, yes. Others may not feel the same.

I'm planning to use my father's old Sako.

Last edited by JDK; 01/09/20.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by doctor_Encore
I would bet if you took a poll of the most popular 30-06 factory loading in Pa it would be the Remington 30-06 180 gr round nose core-lokt.

^^^^^In the Vermont deer woods as well.^^^^^

"Keep your mouth shut, work hard. Life is tough. Work through it.” -- Stetson Bennett, Quarterback, Georgia Bulldogs
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
No matter what you drink
No matter what you eat
Wear Blaze orange and lots of it, if you hunt public land!!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Which ever bullet weight you chose load your 30-06 down to 300 Savage velocity levels and you should be.... GOLDEN.

When I started hunting in the 80's that was definitely true. Even we used them. But now its slanted heavily in favor of the 150 Core-Lokt which we switched to years ago as well.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
In the last 50 years I have killed deer with about every size bullet made from 110 gr to 220 in my 3006. If you do your part it will kill deer.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
And I have to ask,
Why a Remington 180 gr roundnose ?
What is it with round nose bullets ?
The myth of bucking brush ?
Or is there a wider frontal area that transfers energy faster?

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
splattermatic,

A few years ago (actually more than a few, say 15- 20) the 180 Remington Core-Lokt was still made with thicker jacket "sidewalls" than the 180 Pointed Soft-Point Core-Lokt.

The thick sidewalls were essential to the original "Core-Lokt" design, which included a deep cannelure to help the core stay in place during expansion. Around 30 years ago Remington changed the PSP to thinner sidewalls, which turned it into basically another cup-and-core. This was probably done to save money, but it definitely made a difference. Prior to the change, PSP Core-Lokts were pretty reliable eve, when they hit bone.

The round-nose Core-Lokt retained the heavy jacket for a while, because not as many hunters wanted round-nose bullets--and those that did really didn't care if they grouped under an inch. Thus the forming dies were used longer, even after they started to get pretty worn.

Haven't looked at the Remington website much lately to see if the 180 RN Core-Lokt is still produced. If it is, might have to buy a box to see if they still have the heavy sidewalls.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
And I have to ask,
Why a Remington 180 gr roundnose ?
What is it with round nose bullets ?
The myth of bucking brush ?
Or is there a wider frontal area that transfers energy faster?

When I began hunting I was told it was for brush busting.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
splattermatic,

A few years ago (actually more than a few, say 15- 20) the 180 Remington Core-Lokt was still made with thicker jacket "sidewalls" than the 180 Pointed Soft-Point Core-Lokt.

The thick sidewalls were essential to the original "Core-Lokt" design, which included a deep cannelure to help the core stay in place during expansion. Around 30 years ago Remington changed the PSP to thinner sidewalls, which turned it into basically another cup-and-core. This was probably done to save money, but it definitely made a difference. Prior to the change, PSP Core-Lokts were pretty reliable eve, when they hit bone.

The round-nose Core-Lokt retained the heavy jacket for a while, because not as many hunters wanted round-nose bullets--and those that did really didn't care if they grouped under an inch. Thus the forming dies were used longer, even after they started to get pretty worn.

Haven't looked at the Remington website much lately to see if the 180 RN Core-Lokt is still produced. If it is, might have to buy a box to see if they still have the heavy sidewalls.

They're still produced but they're not as tough as they once were. Which is good! Years ago if you didn't hit bone with that bullet you'd have a long tracking job.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Different lead used inside to give reliable expansion under all conditions ?
I used them for many years. Never caught 1. I have a Hornady rn around here somewhere.
Perfect mushroom.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Hubert
In the last 50 years I have killed deer with about every size bullet made from 110 gr to 220 in my 3006. If you do your part it will kill deer.

I've killed them with 125, 150, 180, and 220 grains.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Well, we used to rationalize using RN bullets with the old “brush-busting” myth, because it made sense to us, but mostly, RN bullets were customary to those of us who were too young to know anything first-hand about M2 ball and other spire point bullets in the ‘06. Hell, we bought our ammo at the corner gas station and the plumbing and heating store, and RNs were what they carried! A lot of us graduated to the ‘06 as the first rifle we bought with our own money. As for me, in 1968 I paid $70 for a used but pristine 760 with the fancy, glossy stock. I had worked six days a week all summer washing pots and pans in a hot kitchen at $40 a week plus room and board. I moved up from the hand-me-down Savage 340 chambered in .30-30. It went to my younger brother as his first centerfire rifle, and was handed down twice more. So we all graduated from .30-30 150-grain Remmy RN Core-Lokts to 180-grain ‘06 RN Core-Lokts just as a matter of fact!

"Keep your mouth shut, work hard. Life is tough. Work through it.” -- Stetson Bennett, Quarterback, Georgia Bulldogs
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I bought my first pump in 1976 with my tip money from my paper route. A buddy and I, got consecutive serial numbers.
My mom took us to the gun store.
Some years later I traded it off for parts for my Mustang.
Stupid......
Still have the little rack from my first deer I took with it tho !

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I bought my first pump in 1976 with my tip money from my paper route.... Some years later I traded it off for parts for my Mustang.

I was stupider! I sold mine to my younger brother to cover the insurance on a 1968 half-cab IH Scout that I just HAD to buy. He shot a couple of nice bucks over the years with that rifle, too.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
165 solid base . varget. lapua brass. 210 m

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Charge weight ?

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by roninflag
165 solid base . varget. lapua brass. 210 m

Good to know there THE answer is right there, thanks to the Campfire!

John Steinbeck
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I don't know the tally of WT deer I've killed with

HBTSPs. They work reliably.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I've got a bunch of those solid bases.
Time to load and test.

Last edited by splattermatic; 01/09/20.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For deer at 300 or less I now just buy the Winchester Deer Season XP load at about $17 a box and available just about anywhere. It’s a solid-base bullet so 300 sounds like a sensible range and the darn things kill deer like lightning and have been accurate in every rifle I’ve tried or seen them tried in.

My current deer rifle shoots it into 3/4” groups all day long, giving me great confidence out to 300 yards, which coincidentally happens to be the absolute max range I could expect on my main deer hunting property.

I simply can’t load better for less money, and when factoring time into the equation, it’s not even close.

What could be a sadder way to end a life than to die having never hunted with great dogs, good friends and your family?
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I'm down from back surgery right now.
I have @ 2 more months to go before I might get released.
I have time to load !!
I think I have some brand new nickle cases around here some where ?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JDK

The ANF is a beautiful place. I grew up deer & bear hunting there.

J
JDK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Teeder
Originally Posted by JDK

The ANF is a beautiful place. I grew up deer & bear hunting there.

We are looking foreword to going. None of us have been before but that is how you learn

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Nothing fancier than Sierra 165 Game Kings for me, accurate and kill whitetails with authority. 56gr. of IMR 4350 is my go to load in .30-06, 48gr. of IMR 4064 works well too.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
We wouldn't be Loonies, would we, if we didn't fret and stress over the exact right bullet to use. grin

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Since I have load time on my hands, once I finish 257 Weatherby's, I'm going to do some -06's.
I'm going to go with a starting load of 57 grs of imr4350, and a 165 gr solid base, at 0.030 off.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Then there's the rule that the tinier the minutiae, the longer the thread....

John Steinbeck
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Then there's the rule that the tinier the minutiae, the longer the thread....

Hahaha...

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Good point. I'm wondering why some Remington '06 brass has different sized "R-P" on the headstamps. I swear it accounts for the .023" larger groups I'm getting at 200 yards...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mountain_Buck
My experience with the 30-06 on whitetails in PA started in 2010. Since then I've probably taken close to 20 deer using the 150gr Sierra Gameking handloaded at 2850/2900fps. One year I tried 180gr Gamekings and shot a buck in the thick stuff at less than 20yds. He trotted off like nothing happened and my brother shot him again 100 yards above me. There were 2 holes less than 2 inches apart. That particular bullet did not expand well and I went back to the 150s as they always did the job and made holes that leaked on both sides. This year I mixed it up a bit and used a .270 Win and 130gr Gamekings with equally fine results. Anyway, that is my personal experience and, as already said, most any weight 30cal bullet will get the job done.

More importantly, enjoy your time at camp and the camaraderie amongst friends. Nothing quite like deer camp here in PA. Due to callous greed and conflicting personalities, the third generation deer camp and property I have been a part of since I could walk is being sold. This was the last season before being locked out. I am at a loss and it really stings...I have no idea where to hunt next season. So, meet up with your friend and get out there, for no one knows what the future may hold.

This year for the first time I used the 150 gr. Sierra Game King, @ 2900 fps, from a .30-'06 instead of the 180 gr. Hornady RN for deer hunting. It worked well. The buck was about 30 yds. away when I shot him through both lungs. He dropped in his tracks. I only mention that, because it was the first one I've had do that that wasn't hit in bone or cns. The bullet passed through and hit a tree behind him.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E

Listen to this man. Every once in a while, he's right. And this happens to be one of those times.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
RN bullets are fine to use. And it might be smart to buy some.

RNs remained popular well into the smokeless era because of the lead bullets that preceded them. If you were designing jacketed bullets at the turn of the 20th century, RNs would be "de rigueur". IOW, that was the style at the time. Why change it?

Progress is a good thing however. Since emerging from the dark age of firearms (the late 1800s), we have seen huge advances in bullet technology. Shape, materials used, construction, tip types laugh etc. It's all good. Computer technology gave the firearms/ammunition world another huge push, and the changes are accelerating. Everything is better than ever!

...but if you are woods hunting and come across a box or two of cheap RNs, grab them! Cutting edge is not always necessary. Since fewer reloaders want them, they can be cheap to buy. When I am at gun shows, I see these boxes on a regular basis. They work just fine, but don't have pretty coloured tips or a sexy shape. laugh

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
As I'm digging in my gun stuff, I'm coming across stuff I forgot I had.
I've got almost 3 full box's of 150 gr tsx's.
Think I'm going to load some of those up first.
Now to choose a powder.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
That's always fun to root through the bench and clean things up. You never know what you'll find. . A couple of months ago, my grandson found a big box of goodies I put away 10 yrs ago. smile

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When I switched the entire deer camp over to using the 180 grain Remington round nose Core-Lokt in their .308's and '06's, we never lost another deer hit anywhere. I remember one that dad shot when he came and got me to help get it and I asked him where he shot it? "Right in the middle because it was standing behind a tree." It didn't go that much farther than if it had been lung shot. I hit another one on the run that was headed into a green swamp and just clipped it's left ham. Never broke a bone or got inside, but that deer was dead in it's bed 200 yards away. Used one of my last ones for my .300 Savage this deer season and bang, flop. They work.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by gunswizard
Sierra 165gr. Game King is my bullet of choice, kills whitetails with authority.

Elk, and everything else, too!
If I ever get to hunt ol' Griz - I'd just take my 375, instead of changing '06 loads. smile

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Windfall
When I switched the entire deer camp over to using the 180 grain Remington round nose Core-Lokt in their .308's and '06's, we never lost another deer hit anywhere. I remember one that dad shot when he came and got me to help get it and I asked him where he shot it? "Right in the middle because it was standing behind a tree." It didn't go that much farther than if it had been lung shot. I hit another one on the run that was headed into a green swamp and just clipped it's left ham. Never broke a bone or got inside, but that deer was dead in it's bed 200 yards away. Used one of my last ones for my .300 Savage this deer season and bang, flop. They work.

When my Dad switched us from 180 RN Core-Lokts to 150 Core-Lokts we were finally able to stop following blood trails.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Moosemike, I suppose if your deer falls at the shot with a 150, it is a moot point. That said, I started a thread a while back asking what bullets have failed to give complete through and through penetration and the 150 grain bullets from the .308's and '06's hit the list pretty regularly. I don't suppose that Pennsylvania deer hunting is too much different than Midwest hunting and our shot opportunities are not always textbook broadside like we would like. Heavier for caliber, but with that big exposed lead head they expand quickly yet have enough mass to go out the far side for a better blood trail. Just our experience with them.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Moosemike, I suppose if your deer falls at the shot with a 150, it is a moot point. That said, I started a thread a while back asking what bullets have failed to give complete through and through penetration and the 150 grain bullets from the .308's and '06's hit the list pretty regularly. I don't suppose that Pennsylvania deer hunting is too much different than Midwest hunting and our shot opportunities are not always textbook broadside like we would like. Heavier for caliber, but with that big exposed lead head they expand quickly yet have enough mass to go out the far side for a better blood trail. Just our experience with them.

Yes, 150 CL's don't always pass through depending on shot angle. Broadside they generally do. But I don't remember my Dad ever having to blood trail another deer after we switched to them

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Yes, 150 CL's don't always pass through depending on shot angle. Broadside they generally do. But I don't remember my Dad ever having to blood trail another deer after we switched to them

Yeah Mike, I think he missed the point of your post. (not being critical)

When my Dad switched us from 180 RN Core-Lokts to 150 Core-Lokts we were finally able to stop following blood trails.

Personally since I started with the 243/6mm then to 270, I never went heavy for caliber.
Even in the 35 Whelen I found the 200 HSP did what I wanted on WT.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Jerry, I don't have a problem with the 180 Core-Lokts that he's fond of, but it seemed every deer we ever shot with them (at least the Round nose variety) ran at least a hundred yards. Sometimes twice that.

Last edited by moosemike; 01/13/20.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I've used 180 round nose core lokts in a 308 7600 carbine. I never had to trail anything. Second best shooting factory load in that rifle.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Huh. I may the last hunter in PA who still wears Woolrich (and MD, and WV, and...).

(Pic taken in MD. The big orange vest req'd in PA covers most of it.)

Every time you are a gentleman who knows his stuff. Hats off to you!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by thumbcocker
I've used 180 round nose core lokts in a 308 7600 carbine. I never had to trail anything. Second best shooting factory load in that rifle.

But did you do so in the 80's before they softened up that bullet?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Winchester/Olin's Deer Season XP 150 grain load is very accurate in my CLR, Husqvarna, and 760 BDL.

I haven't shot anything with this particular bullet, but the 95 grain 243 and 125 grain 6.5 Creedmoor are both very accurate and kill whitetails as quickly as any plastic tipped bullet that I've ever used.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
[quote=gnoahhh

-------------------------------------

Well Sir, we share something in common besides rifles....

I looked for 2 yrs before finding this jacket. Got it for Christmas. smile

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
This is the day after Christmas with my G son.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
"Any gun good, shootum good" used to work.
Nothing changed for me.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Like what was written earlier, it is pretty hard to pick a bad one these days. That round nose Core-Lokt was the Benoit’s go to bullet of choice back when they were tracking big bucks up in the NE. They did go to pointed bullets in later years when they hunted in Canada. A terrific bullet for a .308 or .30-06 is the Hornady 165 grain Interlock. My biggest buck fell to that one from a 308. Again a short run which I really don’t mind, but an instant blood trail and that hasn’t always been the case with harder bullets.

My other auto is a .45

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by thumbcocker

But did you do so in the 80's before they softened up that bullet?

No I did'nt,

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Looks like I've settled on what I'm going to use back home.
I have several boxes of 150 gr tsx's, so I loaded 5 up with 52.0 grains of IMR 4064, at 0.050 off the rifling.
Fresh, scrubbed barrel with cr-10, and iosso paste.
First round low, then 3 into group. I saved the last round, so I didnt screw my group up under pressure !!
I'm not going to change anything, and load a supply up.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Terrific accuracy from that load all right, but that seems to be more of a prerequisite for longer range shooting out west than what I've experienced here in the Midwest. What you have chosen is one of the hardest 150 grain bullets. In my lifelong quest for a better whitetail deer bullet I did try the TSX's as a 140 grain bullet out of my 7mm-08 and I won't use them again. The several deer that I shot with them ran farther and bled less than any bullet that I have used before or since. I experienced very little blood shot tissue around the wound channel with small diameter exit wounds. I was use to lung pulp when I field dressed deer and the TSX gave me a quarter size hole through both lungs. The only deer that I ever lost shot with a rifle was with that TSX. Guys tell me that the TTSX works better, but I'm done with Barnes. Deer are less than 12" through the brisket and softer cup & core or tipped bullets expand and kill faster. Five pages of responses here and the TSX isn't mentioned often.

My other auto is a .45

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
It's because I have 3 boxes of them.
I've shot enough animals to feel confident at killing what ever, at where ever with them.
Just be mindful of the size of the hole.
I'll be loading other bullets to test. I've got time to work it out.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Hey Windfall,
Here's a group with 165 gr Nosler solid bases.
1st round low from a clean bore, then 3.
Itll do just fine.
50.0 grains IMR 4064, at 0.025 off.

Last edited by splattermatic; 01/23/20.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Kentucky and West Virginia woods ,for over 20 years ,165 gr. Nosler partition ,and 57 gr IMR4350 ,works like a charm, most just bang and flop were they are ,a few run , up to 30 to 40 yards and drop

Last edited by rem shooter; 01/23/20. Reason: add words

NRA Life Member
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by rem shooter
Kentucky and West Virginia woods ,for over 20 years ,165 gr. Nosler partition ,and 57 gr IMR4350 ,works like a charm, most just bang and flop were they are ,a few run , up to 30 to 40 yards and drop

I used 150’grain Partition’s for a long time. The 165’s would be awesome in the woods.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

Agreed. Add NYS as well.

As a kid first getting interested in hunting that was ll I thought was available for the 06. Literally every guy in my dads camp used them,

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Dittos on NY State hunters choosing Remington ammo with round nose bullets. 30-06, 308, 270, whatever. That's all I ever saw when I hunted the Catskills with locals.

NRA Endowment Life Member, G.O.A supporter
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Back when I was using a .30-06 and .308 for my deer hunting, I knew how well that 180 Core-Lokt had been working on deer and tried to simulate it with something a little lighter when I was shooting a handloaded bullet through dry phone books tied together. A 165 grain Speer came close, but was no better. Then back in those days I tested the round nose Core-Lokt against pointed 180 grain Core-Lokt factory ammunition. The round nose was punching a thumb size larger opening through the first phone book that the pointed Core-Lokt didn't resemble until the third phone book exit. I forget how many more books the pointed Core-Lokt went through than the round nose, but it was at least several.

In a chart that Handloader Magazine published some years ago testing around 30 different 180 grain bullets side by side through wet paper medium I think they used. The round nose Core-Lokt was nearly the only one that mushroomed perfectly without losing it's lead core from 3,000. fps all the way down to 1,700 fps. Penetration through the medium went up when velocity went down as the mushroomed bullet's diameter was reduced. I ordered that chart from the author and commended him on all the extensive testing that he had done.

My other auto is a .45

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I had a Remington 700 22" 30-06 rebarreled with a 24" Remington TI 30-06 stainless fluted barrel about 2 years ago.
Have not shot it yet !!
I'm thinking of going home to Pa. this deer season to hunt with my life long friend at his camp like in our younger days.
Back in the day, and my buddy, to this day, we used 180 gr round nose bullets. He still loads them for his Amish Machine gun.
Since I'm starting from scratch, should I pick a general purpose bullet and hunt there, and here in the west for all manner of big game, or just load something for under 100 yard Pa. white tails?
What bullets ??

Dude, as they say in Texas, it don't make much difference. I personally wouldn't go with a bullet lighter than 150, but with an 06 for deer it just don't make much difference. I even know people that use 130 grains in them. But like I said, it don't make any difference. The .30-06 is a killer of deer extraodinaire. My personal favorite load is a 200 Grain SGK over 56 grains of IMR 4831 at about 2550-2600 depending on the day. But anything between 150 and 220 will do it especially in the woods.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I was hoping this would have kinda shifted over to hunting stories with what bullets were used in the old days, to now.
If you read on the first page, it was brought up about the reason I was asking, and talked about hunting with my life long buddy.
I have many rifles that I can point at a whitetail.
I went with the 06, and was hoping to here good stories on 180gr rn bullets, and wearing red plaid, the Bennets, etc.
It's all good.
180gr Nosler partitions are next on the loading bench.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
To please you Splattermatic. I grew up in SW PA in the 50's. I had my own Woolrich red plaid suit. Coat and back then you could get either bibs or pants. I had the pants and wore those 5 buckle artics with felt packs that hard hard soles.Before I had saved enough money, I wore an old army wool coat that my mother had sewed red cloth to the front and back.My folks have passed on and my brother, now 80, lives in their house, but I bet that old Woolrich suit is still hanging down in the basement

First year I used a single shot .410, 2&1/2 " loaded with ball.That was in1955. Rifled slugs weren't invented yet and everyone called them punkin balls. The next year my uncle loaned me 32-20 Remington pump,the I graduated to an H&R single shot 20 gauge. Firs time I touched that of with a punkin ball I thought I lost my shoulder.My whole family hunted, but my sisters never kept up with it.My father killed many whitetail with a Marlin 94 in 38-40.My mother used a 1936 Winchester 94 in 30-30 .She quit hunting to stay with the girls and my brother used that 30-30.Later years, when I was first married, I used my FIL's .348 Winchester lever action Forget what model it was.

This was back when a person could lease plot from the state for 99 years for just a few dollars and the family had camp up in central PA.The state reneged on that lease after many years. Curtis Wright came in and cleared all the camps and put a jet engine test facility in.

Last edited by saddlesore; 01/24/20.

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Damn saddlesore you lived my early life too, complete with the first year hunt with .410 single shot and pumkin balls. I never had the red plaid coat because we could not afford that luxury but did have a red "Ted Willaims" model hunting coat purchased from Sears, but the first year or two mom used safety pins to attach big red patches on my and my brothers old winter coats.

Those were the good old days of 30-30 Winchesters and sportorized .303 infield rifles.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Jerseyboy
Dittos on NY State hunters choosing Remington ammo with round nose bullets. 30-06, 308, 270, whatever. That's all I ever saw when I hunted the Catskills with locals.
40 years ago that might have been true. Not anymore. In fact you'd have a bitch of a time even finding any of that ammo for sale in any upstate NY gun shop today, including the Catskills. I've lived in NY my whole life and deer hunted here since the 70's. I know alot of guys who hunt with 06's, .308's and 270's and none use round nose bullets today..

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by Jerseyboy
40 years ago that might have been true. Not anymore. In fact you'd have a bitch of a time even finding any of that ammo for sale in any upstate NY gun shop today, including the Catskills. I've lived in NY my whole life and deer hunted here since the 70's. I know alot of guys who hunt with 06's, .308's and 270's and none use round nose bullets today..

Yup. I don't know anybody anymore who uses round nose bullets in their 30-06 here in PA.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks saddlesore,
Punkin balls, aka foster slugs were very popular in Allegheny county especially, even into recent years.
Even knew some old guys who would score a shot shell around the hull, so there were 2 little "tabs" left opposing each other, so when fired, would act like a punkin ball.

Anyways, things have gone modern, and alot of things have changed.
We all shoot what we want, so best of luck to all in their hunting forays, wherever they may be.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
[quote=moosemike
Yup. I don't know anybody anymore who uses round nose bullets in their 30-06 here in PA.[/quote]

Every year. I meet nonresident elk hunters here from MN, WI, and PA. Most are carrying a Remington pump or semi rifle in either 30-0 6 or 35 Whelen. A whole lot of them are using 220 gr RN in their .06.They tell me that is what they use for deer.Most of these guys are older though.Younger guys use the super duper shoulder throbbing magums. I use 220gr RN for elk if I know I will be shooting close

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks saddlesore,
Punkin balls, aka foster slugs were very popular in Allegheny county especially, even into recent years.
Even knew some old guys who would score a shot shell around the hull, so there were 2 little "tabs" left opposing each other, so when fired, would act like a punkin ball.

Anyways, things have gone modern, and alot of things have changed.
We all shoot what we want, so best of luck to all in their hunting forays, wherever they may be.

It's called a "cut shell". It was mostly a 410 thing because slugs were harder to find.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by saddlesore
[quote=moosemike
Yup. I don't know anybody anymore who uses round nose bullets in their 30-06 here in PA.

Every year. I meet nonresident elk hunters here from MN, WI, and PA. Most are carrying a Remington pump or semi rifle in either 30-0 6 or 35 Whelen. A whole lot of them are using 220 gr RN in their .06.They tell me that is what they use for deer.Most of these guys are older though.Younger guys use the super duper shoulder throbbing magums. I use 220gr RN for elk if I know I will be shooting close
[/quote]

Somewhere back around 1992 I went into my LGS and asked for a box of Remington Aught-Six 220's. The shop owner loudly exclaimed "220 GRAINS! WHAT DO YOU WANT THEM FOR?" To which i answered " for bear."
He then said he used to have three boxes but he had to give them away because nobody would buy them.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I was hoping this would have kinda shifted over to hunting stories with what bullets were used in the old days, to now.
If you read on the first page, it was brought up about the reason I was asking, and talked about hunting with my life long buddy.
I have many rifles that I can point at a whitetail.
I went with the 06, and was hoping to here good stories on 180gr rn bullets, and wearing red plaid, the Bennets, etc.
It's all good.
180gr Nosler partitions are next on the loading bench.

You would like a hunting story? I can tell you about my first black bear kill in Northern Ontario. I guess it was a failure.

Spoiler alert! The bear died.
---

[Linked Image from images.squarespace-cdn.com]

Picture it. It was 1979 in northern Ontario. The dim times of hunting. Our methods and knowledge were lacking, hence the widespread use of c&c bullets. It was obvious that the ammunition companies didn't care about us then. Around here, no cartridges were available with premium bullets. We had a choice of three makers as I recall - Win, Rem and CIL.

I had been in the service for about 1 1/2 years, and was home visiting friends and family. A high school buddy and I decided to go bear hunting. Since I couldn't reload at the time, I went to Cdn Tire and bought a box of 180 gr. RNs for my No4 (303 British). They were either CIL KKSPs or Remington CLs, but I suppose it doesn't matter.

I used two cartridges to check my sights, and was good to go...out to about 75 yds or so. This was when I was younger and the world was less complicated than it is today. Folks didn't obsess over whether monos were superior to partitions or cup and core bullets. In fact, I cannot recall anyone ever discussing the merits of one bullet type or another.The arguments were usually about the companies that made them. Whether Rem CL were better or worse then CIL KKSP (Kling Kor Soft Points), etc. But as I said, times were different.

Before success in the field became a money and equipment contest, folks around here bought a box or two of their favourite ammunition at the hardware store and went hunting. I cannot speak for the US, but in northern Ontario, factory cartridges used old timey, c&c bullets. According to the kids and grandkids of the people I grew up with, we lived in blissful ignorance. Apparently, our ammunition was no good. RNs were no good. Cup and core bullets were no good. Lead tips were no good. Fast forward to today: The younger set says if we were smart, we would embrace the new technology and benefit from faster, more humane kills. The only thing that confuses me is that we had a better track record of taking game than our kids do today. It must be that game numbers are dropping catastrophically.

But I digress. I had my 303 and my buddy had a Savage 340 chambered in 30-30. We left his place and headed for a spot we often used as a day camp. It was down a dirt road off of Highway 17. Originally a logging road. We drove on the dirt road for about ten miles in to a decommissioned CN spur line. This was in the days when the trains still had cabooses, and they used slag under wooden ties to support the railroad tracks. If you don't know what slag is, use your google foo. They had not removed the rails or ties from the spur yet. Walking on the ties after a fresh snowfall caused the odd fall, but nothing we couldn't handle.

We walked in 1/2 a mile from where we parked to a place that we used as a day camp. We rested for a few minutes and took off in different directions. This particular area had produced several moose and lots of small game over the years, but we had never hunted bear here.

I loaded five 180 grainers and headed along a game trail that showed bear tracks in the snow. I should say that I was not wearing camoflage and made no effort to be quiet. The fresh snow muffled my footsteps, and I figured that the animals wouldn't hear me. I was dressed warmly in an orange hat and hunting coat with gloves (it was a little below freezing). I had a hot seat clipped to my belt and a canvas ground sheet with some knives rolled up inside slung on my shoulder. I think I had a couple of apples too. I was good for the morning.

I didn't walk far from our day camp. I didn't dope the wind or do anything special. I just followed the game trail for a bit until I found a spot that looked good. I sat down on a fallen tree and looked around. I had a great view of the trail. There weren't too many trees around, and I could see maybe 30 or 40 yards in all directions. There were some large rocks that I could have used to lean against, but I opted for the warmth of a fallen tree. This part of the forest was in what we used to call a boundary area. That is, a mix of coniferous and deciduous trees. I was happy and sat.

I expect that nowadays the cell phones would come out in order to pass the time. Back then, we just sat and let ourselves tune into what was around. I often took short naps. Even today, I have no problems falling asleep, although that is not conducive to good hunting.

After a time, I heard something moving in the bush to my left. I watched but couldn't see anything. This noise went on for about 10 minutes.

I had a cartridge chambered and ready. Given the limited area that I could see, any shots would be close in.

A bear wandered out from behind some alders and stopped. He was not aware that I was even there. I aimed and fired. He went into the bush, but it wasn't a quick run. I heard him making noise for less than a minute. Then silence. The way I figured it, the thing was maybe 75 yd or so away. He wasn't making any sound and I had another cartridge chambered. For me, that was the scary part. Not knowing exactly where he was, and if I had squarely hit him.

Twenty minutes passed and my buddy came in on the trail from the rail line. I told him what happened and approximately where I thought the bear was. Was it a good hit? I thought so, but in the bush it's a bit darker, so it was hard to say. Now that I had my buddy there, we both walked toward where the bear fell. No range finders, so it's only a guess how far away he was from where I was sitting, but I believe that it was less than 100 yd.

I poked him and he didn't move. Barry fetched his truck and drove along the spur line to where I was.
---

About this kill:

The bear was cleanly taken with an old timey cup and core 303 British 180 gr. RN. I've really no idea why it worked. I was irresponsible for buying store bought cup and core ammunition to begin with, but I didn't have access to reloading equipment.

The bullet passed through the beast, making a mess of the top of the heart. Whether its core separated, or how much weight there was after expanding and passing through the bear, is unknown. Because I never found the bullet, I never knew if the bullet failed.

There was a considerable amount of blood inside the bear.

I suppose, given that it was a bear, I should have used another cartridge - a 30-06 perhaps - topped with a Nosler Partition. That would have made a better kill...but I'm not sure because I never recovered the bullet.

The mistakes of youth.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
OMG it's a wonder you lived Mr. Redgewell ! Trudging off into the wild with such gay abandon, no premium bullets, no alpha glass, no GPS, no rangefinder, no rehydration system ! You'd surely have gotten lost, starved to death, died of thirst or got et by a bear after your bullets failed if not for divine intervention ! Just count your lucky stars is all I can say.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
So glad you survived, or else we would have never read this story.
I too bought store bought shells for my 7x64, as my reloading stuff wasn't up and loading yet, due to etsing, and moving back state side.
It was a box of Norma 154gr soft points iirc.
Needless to say, they shot well, a bear came to the bait, a round hit its front right shoulder, and went completely through it lengthwise, to exit.
Only thing hi tech was the duct tape wrapped around the clothes at entry point, to keep the biting bugs out, and around the head net, collar joint.

Last edited by splattermatic; 01/25/20.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Not the ‘06 but in the 70’s when I started hunting in PA I began with a Remington 700 ADL in .270 and all the older family members and friends used roundnose bullets of various makes but the Core-lokts were the “ticket”. I used the 150 grain variety in my .270 and killed several deer with them and never had anything but good results - when I did my part. After we all got educated and realized we couldn’t kill a deer with roundnosed bullets I gravitated to the spitzers and/or boat tail spitzers. Seeing the same thing happening with the new Uber spitzers with phenomenal BCs......for the woods or really anything under 250 or so roundnoses still work fine and many times shoot much better in my rifles. Still have several boxes of Remington roundnose ammo and components and use them in several different rifles - they still work just as they did back then😊

PennDog

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Have not shot it yet !!
What bullets ??

Since you included "the west and all manners of game", I'd suggest 180gr Nosler Accubond or Partition.

That will handle anything that happens to fall under your crosshairs.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
168gr Nosler Ballistic Tip

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've never bothered with anything other than cup and core bullets. Not for deer. Not for Bear. Not for Moose. I'm told if I use premium bullets I can get by with a smaller gun? But I like doing things the way we did it in my youth.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Back in the 50's and 60's a box of twenty rounds usually lasted 8-10 years. My father shot a 38-40 and only ever had 1 box of 50 that I remember.There was none of this practicing,, sighting in for 3 shot groups and such. Most likely you might fire one round before the hunt to see if the gun still shot true,but more than likely not. It was common to see 8-10 deer hanging in deer camp though.Now it is big deal to see one.

We didn't know what we didn't know I guess

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
yeah and it DIDN'T work did it ? smirk (sarcasm)

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Back when I was using a .30-06 and .308 for my deer hunting, I knew how well that 180 Core-Lokt had been working on deer and tried to simulate it with something a little lighter when I was shooting a handloaded bullet through dry phone books tied together. A 165 grain Speer came close, but was no better. Then back in those days I tested the round nose Core-Lokt against pointed 180 grain Core-Lokt factory ammunition. The round nose was punching a thumb size larger opening through the first phone book that the pointed Core-Lokt didn't resemble until the third phone book exit. I forget how many more books the pointed Core-Lokt went through than the round nose, but it was at least several.

In a chart that Handloader Magazine published some years ago testing around 30 different 180 grain bullets side by side through wet paper medium I think they used. The round nose Core-Lokt was nearly the only one that mushroomed perfectly without losing it's lead core from 3,000. fps all the way down to 1,700 fps. Penetration through the medium went up when velocity went down as the mushroomed bullet's diameter was reduced. I ordered that chart from the author and commended him on all the extensive testing that he had done.

One other thing I'll add to this. Have you ever tried to eat a phone book? That's almost like comparing apples to oranges. Deer flesh or any flesh isn't the same as a phone book. When I was a kid or at least in my 20s a lot of people shot round nose ammo. And it killed as well or better than about anything else. The only draw back with round nose bullets is long distance. And that's not as limited as one would imagine. Nothing wrong with round nose for hunting. They work.

Last edited by Filaman; 01/25/20.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Almost any 180 grain bullet. My choice would be the Winchester Power Point of the Hornady Spire point.

Dog I rescued in January

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

I have had that chart stuck on my gun safe for at least the last 20 years. I retired in 2003 and it was up several years before that.Lot of good info there.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I don't use it often, but when I carry my remington 7600 in 308 I use 180 grain round nose core lokts. Lets the air right out of them.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Deer die easy. Whatever is the cheapest box of ammo at Walmart and shoots 2" groups or better at 100 yards is your huckleberry.

If reloading...……...….throw some 4350 under a 180 grain Speer Grand Slam and hunt your PA deer and whatever ELSE walks North America.

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I grew up hunting in the PA deer woods and never used anything other than the 150 gr. Remington Core-Lokt out of my 06. The 06, the 30-30 and the 300 Savage were the most common calibers in our camp back then.

The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Ding, ding...

Nice rifle looks great!

RN is a great choice; I ran 180 GR RN Interlocks for years and they’re awesome!

PA is a great state for deer hunting beet of luck!

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

No doubt at all
Nosler Bonded Performance 308-168. Very blunt nosed semi spritzer. Really great bullets for shots inside 225-250.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I found myself last fall in a situation where none of the rifles I was fooling with all summer shot the way I wanted them to for deer hunting. For a fall back I decided to pull one of my Remington 700 308's out of the safe and check it out at the range with some Hornady 180 grain round nose reloads sitting on the shelf. It shot 5 shots consistently into 1.25" groups and fed smoothly and reliably. I checked the ballistics. Sighted in at 1.25" high at 100 yards it was 1.25" low at 175. No need to touch the scope at any range I would have a shot.

I took it hunting in November.

I shot a doe out of several in an open field in the morning. She dropped in her tracks. She was perhaps 80 yards away. I don't think she was 100 yards away. The Hornady round nose shredded the heart and part of the lungs.

I shot a buck in the afternoon. He walked out of the woods, down to a road and down the road in front of the blind. He was less than 25 yards away, the closest I have shot a deer with a scope set at 6x, which was not an issue (no time to fool with the scope anyway). At the shot he bounded away for about 50 yards then veered off the road and collapsed in a heap. The bulled shredded the lungs.

My host looked at the evidence as the deer were field dressed and said, "That bullet really does its job!"

Then I have to confront my rifle looniness. There is no rational reason to mess with my other rifles. For the deer hunting I have left (assuming I don't win a lottery) I only need this rifle and the Hornady 180 grain round nose loads.

The only reason to mess with some of my other rifles, changing stocks for chassis, changing scopes, trying out different bullets and loads, is that I want to.

GrimJim

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
That’ll work. Is that the best you have ?

Are your other rifles INcapable of accuracy ?

If so..... down the road.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by jwall
That’ll work. Is that the best you have ?

Are your other rifles INcapable of accuracy ?

If so..... down the road.

Jerry

Jerry,

Its a matter of consistency, Some days the other rifles shoot into half an inch to three quarters of an inch at 100 yards. Other days they shoot into two inches. I am working on their consistency more than their accuracy. However, if they are a lot more accurate, they become useful at longer ranges than the shots I have. So I am fretting about accuracy I will probably never need. I will probably continue to fret.

I did identify at the end of the summer that action screws were working loose on a couple of rifles, but I ran out of range time to verify the results of tightening them. Since then I replaced the stocks with a chassis. This summer I see what effect this has. They might now be very accurate.

GrimJim

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Good Luck

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

56 members (6MMWASP, BB3, ar33c9, 7mm_Loco, 10Glocks, anothergun, 6 invisible), 1,354 guests, and 673 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,977
Posts18,499,519
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.