Campfire Member
T
...S S & S

GB1

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Now they want to outlaw the hunting of Cougar.

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Have wolves ever been sighted near the elk refuge at Jackson Hole? If not, I wonder why they haven’t gravitated to the refuge.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Join the crowd. Welcome to Wisconsin

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by callnum
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Elk and deer numbers decline.

I know crazy right?

Ya so much so you can now kill more than 1 elk in MT and WY and lots of deer.

Hmmm what happened to the 2,000.cow permits and 100 either set permits around Gardner that used to be given out in the early to mid 90's when the elk herd was pushing 20,000

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by sherm_61

I know crazy right?

Hmmm what happened to the 2,000.cow permits and 100 either set permits around Gardner that used to be given out in the early to mid 90's when the elk herd was pushing 20,000

Read the regs, up to 3 elk and better that a 6 month season. They are killing elk over there right now.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I was in the Marine Corps with a guy that had a buddy that was a trapper, hunter etc., and lived in the high country near Pagosa Springs, if I remember correctly. His buddy had shown him pics of wolves and told him that they were definitely wolves. This was in the early 70s. People just did not want it to be common knowledge that they were there and getting thicker. Now it is common knowledge and all the twatards are loving it-until FiFi disappears.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

I know crazy right?

Through the mid-90's?

Try again, more FWP mismanagement.

They knew the elk herd in Gardiner was heavily skewed toward older age class animals about the time of wolf reintroduction. To make matters worse, rather than backing off just a bit on cow tags, they kept their foot on the gas issuing a boatload of tags clear through 2005 (10 years after reintroduction of wolves). Even as the griz and wolf populations continued to grow they kept issuing a couple thousand tags...real brilliant move.

Yeah, really surprising that elk numbers would continue to drop with maximum pressure from predators, hunters, combined with a very unproductive, older age class herd. Apparently everyone must have been asleep during that part of wildlife biology 101.

[Linked Image from photos.imageevent.com]

Last edited by BuzzH; 01/20/22.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

I know crazy right?

Hmmm what happened to the 2,000.cow permits and 100 either sex permits around Gardner that used to be given out in the early to mid 90's when the elk herd was pushing 20,000

Read the regs, up to 3 elk and better that a 6 month season. They are killing elk over there right now.

I did theres 2 - 30 permits for cows Dec.11-19 and a 50 either set in the 313 Gardner unit when there used to be 2,000 cow permits and 100 either set in 313

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I know for a fact there was 2,000 permits in the early 90's Buzzy you were probably in grade school then so how do you know. I worked and knew several people who put in for them and went, if I remember correctly they were in 3 day blocks in Jan
I've never said there hasn't been mismanagement of the elk herds Hell I've been critical of the MD for along time.

IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

I know crazy right?

Hmmm what happened to the 2,000.cow permits and 100 either sex permits around Gardner that used to be given out in the early to mid 90's when the elk herd was pushing 20,000

I did theres 2 - 30 permits for cows Dec.11-19 and a 50 either set in the 313 Gardner unit when there used to be 2,000 cow permits and 100 either set in 313

Wrong

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Then post the regs for 313, im not talking about private land either, my comparison is what it was in the early 90's to what it is now and after the so called B.S reintroduction.
As usual deflect away from the original questions

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
You dont believev here was 2,000 permits call the Fish and game and ask a long time biologist or somebody who can provide documentation you'll see for yourself your full of [bleep] as usual

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
News flash, elk go on to private lands. I know you moved here not long ago so I understand your struggles.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Here we go again cant stand patting yourself on the back and your arrogance abounds you.
Go read nps.gov 1975 -1995 the late hunt took almost a 1,000 elk a year avg smart guy.
When did I move here smart guy

Last edited by sherm_61; 01/20/22.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Come on man prove me wrong your so smart

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

You have done it for me. LOL

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I know for a fact there was 2,000 permits in the early 90's Buzzy you were probably in grade school then so how do you know. I worked and knew several people who put in for them and went, if I remember correctly they were in 3 day blocks in Jan
I've never said there hasn't been mismanagement of the elk herds Hell I've been critical of the MD for along time.

There were 2K tags for a lot longer than the mid-90's....that's the point.

Why as your elk herd was declining would you still continue to issue 2k tags? That's called mismanagement.

But again, to blame the decline strictly on wolves, when grizzlies were increasing, the FWP was still pounding on those elk, and the known fact of an older, less productive herd was a given...is just flat disingenuous and selective outrage.

I never participated as a hunter in those Gardiner late hunts, but did go with several friends in the 80's-2000. Those hunts ranged from not horrible to a total chitshow...

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Hey buzz congrats to you and BHA for getting wolves into Colorado and working on getting predator hunting shut down now in Colorado

BHA clowns did a heck of job stopping trapping getting banned in New Mexico. Lol

I’m surprised you and caldumb and the pot bellied ginger land tawny had time to post on here with all of your BHA anti gun and anti hunting agenda . Bunch of dumb phughin trolls.

[

quote=BuzzH]

I know crazy right?

Through the mid-90's?

Try again, more FWP mismanagement.

They knew the elk herd in Gardiner was heavily skewed toward older age class animals about the time of wolf reintroduction. To make matters worse, rather than backing off just a bit on cow tags, they kept their foot on the gas issuing a boatload of tags clear through 2005 (10 years after reintroduction of wolves). Even as the griz and wolf populations continued to grow they kept issuing a couple thousand tags...real brilliant move.

Yeah, really surprising that elk numbers would continue to drop with maximum pressure from predators, hunters, combined with a very unproductive, older age class herd. Apparently everyone must have been asleep during that part of wildlife biology 101.

[Linked Image from photos.imageevent.com][/quote]

You have done it for me. LOL

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by ribka
Hey buzz congrats to you and BHA for getting wolves into Colorado and working on getting predator hunting shut down now in Colorado

BHA clowns did a heck of job stopping trapping getting banned in New Mexico. Lol

I’m surprised you and caldumb and the pot bellied ginger land tawny had time to post on here with all of your BHA anti gun and anti hunting agenda . Bunch of dumb phughin trolls.

Hey dough boy, you do understand how groups work and workk towards their mission statements, right? I know has a non hunter lots of this stuff is new to you.

BTW I am not a member of BHA, but do support some of their work.

Here is BHA's mission statement. Even a simpleton like yourself can see their mission statement has nothing to do with the 2nd or wolves. Its a lot about access.

Backcountry Hunters & Anglers seeks to ensure North America's outdoor heritage of hunting and fishing in a natural setting, through education and work on behalf of wild public lands, waters, and wildlife.

I can explain it to you but I can't help you understand it.

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

304 members (1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 300_savage, 16penny, 260Remguy, 45 invisible), 2,489 guests, and 1,223 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,386
Posts18,469,689
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.