H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
New Gladiator parked next to me today.
Rubicon too.
Was nice but too nice for me.
And way too expensive.

Im the 5k truck guy. Drive en five yrs, throw away and get another. Old Jeep yards.....gone. No scrounging for parta around here.

600 for a used D30? Hell no. Paid 150 for my last one

ZJs 249 VC went. Wanted me to pull and shop rebuild 300 plus parts.

Uh, 215 and I swapped in a 242 and had driveshaft shortened. Was several yrs ago but dayam.......bashing jeeps today is just crazy money.

My back trashed. Wrenching sucks.

Last edited by hookeye; 01/13/20.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Anyone who 1st gets on an ATV or UTV with 2 locking axles is astounded by what they'll climb or wallow through. My 1st atv was a 2x4 but with a locking rear axle. Even that was amazing with what it could do.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by 257_X_50
Originally Posted by MikeL2
Now the responses have confused things. Was the original post about engaging from 2wd to 4wd or was it about locking differentials?

It was about locking the front hubs and seeing some jeeps with locking hubs on the back.

I mentioned that they were full floating kits.

I am MAGA.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Originally Posted by 257_X_50
Originally Posted by MikeL2
Now the responses have confused things. Was the original post about engaging from 2wd to 4wd or was it about locking differentials?

It was about locking the front hubs and seeing some jeeps with locking hubs on the back.

I mentioned that they were full floating kits.

Yeah, look like you and 257x understood the question, pretty good for the 'fire.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by fortymile
Two different things being discussed here. The OP was talking about manual locking hubs, on the front and rear axles of a Jeep. As someone noted, that aids in flat towing, and also allows driving with the front axle only in case of a problem with the rear axle or driveshaft (this would have been handy when the pinion gear broke recently in the rear differential of my Jeep.) Locking differentials are a different thing entirely, but definitely do provide a big increase in traction. As Windfall noted, locking diffs can be a handful on snowy roads. I wouldn't want to drive a Jeep on a snowy highway with the front axle locked. This is why selectable locking differentials are generally best. Lock them when needed, and leave them unlocked when they're not.

Yes.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by FatCity67
Lock it and rock it!

Yep. smile

Most people that think they own a 4x4 aren't even aware that they don't. wink

True dat!

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
V
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
V
Yep, as others have noted manual locking hubs on the rear axles provide the option to flat tow your off-road vehicle to the trailhead, and also provide the option to drive with just the front axle in the event the rear gears or bearing failures.

Locking differentials are another thing altogether. I have air locking differentials in the front and rear of my Ford Super Duty and they will get you out of a lot of trouble if needed. They can also get you into a world of trouble on a packed snow or ice condition. I use mine very seldom.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Hardcore 4x4 guys. I'd like some comments good or bad, on "lunchbox lockers". One fellow who seemed very savvy on the subject, just flat said, regardless of brand they are all a mickey mouse pos. Then I went over to his house, and he didn't own a single 4x4 that had a stock hp engine. They were all repowered to the max. I don't need bulletproof with a 4 cyl cj-7.

I put one in the back of a cj5 that had the 4l 6 cyl in it still. I held up fine long after I sold it. I was great for traction but would push into corners. It was my first Jeep with a locker and it didn't take me long to learn how to drive it. There's no substitute for lockers when it comes to traction. My 1ton has an Eaton ECTD in the front axle and a high bias limited slip in back. Towing is fine and when I get in a jam I can full lock the front end. It operates as a limited slip when not locked. I've used ARB's as well and think highly of them. Depending on what you want to do, and in what environment, I also really like Detroit lockers. (Grizzly now)

Keep in mind that when full locked in rocks the skinny pedal will break stuff.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don't much care for electronic lock systems unless extremely well shielded. Brush pulled the wire on an at work Chevy, and I had to do some cutting of non critical wire and some splicing to get things in gear. Not handy mid-mud hole.

1Minute
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I agree with shielding the wires. Same goes for air operated. I welded a shield to my diff cover. I don't drive it through brush as a habit but with that shield I've never pulled a wire and it's been about 12-15 years probably.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
watching some video on moab utah, saw something i hadn't seen before. on some of my jeeps have the on/off switch on the front axle to encage four wheel, or allow it two wheel.
i saw a unit at moab that had them on front and back. kind of surprised me, thought someone could explain.

I didn't read the thread but I read sometimes guys will put manual locking hubs on the rear to tow a rig freewheel

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
I have a locking rear diff on my 4runner which is engaged w/ the push of a button. I have only used it a few times to get out of snow and weird Montana mud. I assumed it was electronic. 2 questions: 1] At what speeds and conditions should it be used and/or avoided? 2] Should I shield some wiring or did Toyota figure that out?

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
V
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by lvmiker
I have a locking rear diff on my 4runner which is engaged w/ the push of a button. I have only used it a few times to get out of snow and weird Montana mud. I assumed it was electronic. 2 questions: 1] At what speeds and conditions should it be used and/or avoided? 2] Should I shield some wiring or did Toyota figure that out?

mike r

You are using your locker correctly by only using it to get out of snow or mud. You most likely never want to lock the rear differential on packed snow and/or ice while driving on the highway, unless you like to fishtail around a lot. I would expect your 4runner has a safety control that will not allow it to lock unless you are in low range 4WD or below a certain speed, say 20 mph or so. They are wonderful devices but are dangerous in slick highway conditions.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by lvmiker

mike r

If it's factory 5 mph is as fast as they say to go in my Tacoma with it locked

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Thanks guys for the responses, very helpful.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (1lessdog, 12344mag, 1234, 1_deuce, 17CalFan, 160user, 59 invisible), 2,402 guests, and 1,186 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,520
Posts18,491,029
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.