Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
I've owned about every caliber of pistol, but never a 41 Magnum. I'm thinking about getting a Ruger Blackhawk. Just something to keep in my farm truck as an all around sidearm. For those that have em, do you like em, are they to much gun for what my intended use is? Is the frame the same size as my Blackhawk in 45 LC ?

GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
If your Blackhawk 45 is an original Blackhawk, then yes the 41 would have the same size frame. If you Blackhawk is the newer mid-framed style flat top Blackhawk then the 41 frame will be bigger. I am a huge fan of the 41 partially just because it is the forgotten magnum in the middle and I like off the wall stuff.I just bought a 41 magnum Blackhawk back that I owned years ago. It is a custom conversion on an old model mid-framed 357 to 41 mag by John Gallagher. I will load it with 250-265 grain cast bullets in 41 Special brass.

Last edited by Robb10238; 01/13/20.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

41 mag is an excellent cartridge that is easy shoot with good power

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Owned a 41 mag Blackhawk since 73 it’s a sweet round. Actually has better ballistics than the 44 and considering recoil it was a darlin of the silhouette shooters.

Swifty
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
P
I believe the old model Blackhawk .41 mag was on the smaller frame

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by pacecars

That's what I'd like to have, more on the 357 frame size.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by mirage243
I've owned about every caliber of pistol, but never a 41 Magnum. I'm thinking about getting a Ruger Blackhawk. Just something to keep in my farm truck as an all around sidearm. For those that have em, do you like em, are they to much gun for what my intended use is? Is the frame the same size as my Blackhawk in 45 LC ?

I think it is a good choice but my input may be questionable, my all around handgun is a Super Blackhawk .44 with the 4-5/8" barrel. I got my first .44 just before my 21st birthday. Never been without one 'cept for a short period in the early 1990s when I had a pair of .41s, both Blackhawks, one 4-5/8" barrel, one 6-1/2" barrel. I'd spent some time with a friend's .41 before I bought mine.

I don't see a big difference. The .41s lighter bullet should recoil less but the .41s are lighter because the grip frame is aluminum rather than steel. It's a "wash" IMHO. Unless you have a need for the 300 grain class of .44 bullets, a .41 is as good as a .44 ... and a .44 is no better.

Size .. depends on the vintage of your .45. If it is not a flat-top, they'll be identical. The .45 should be lighter by the amount of metal represented by a .45 hole vs a .41 hole .. and 6 times that in the cylinder.

If I were starting from scratch with no .44s in the safe, without major $$ in components, etc on hand, I would go with the .41 over the .44 for day to day, and up through deer, and get a .454 for the big stuff like elk. Not that I couldn't kill an elk with a .41 and some careful component selection, but it is **easy** to find correct components for elk hunting for a .454.

So in a way I'm saying 'do it", but on the other hand, before delving into the .41, I'd have to ask whether I expect it to do things I can't do with a .357 which is really much easier to feed.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
The .41 is usually a really accurate gun. The dimensions of the case, throat, neck, and barrel were always set in stone, unlike the old .45s which might have a .454 bore, or some of the ".44s" which might have bullets that are .427" or maybe .429 or 430" or whathaveyou, depending on who made it.

Since everyone was making them to the same specs, it's easier to get an accurate .41 than the others. I do not dislike the others, but it seems to me that the .41s are easier to get shooting really well.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Keep em coming guys, all this info is great.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have a Ruger Blackhawk in 41 since 1979.

Liked it so much i got a Marlin lever rifle in 41.

Killed the first deer at 125 yards with it.

He fell so fast my asked me where it ran off to,he was watching with binos.

I really like the 170 grain Seirra bullet.

IC B3

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
I came on here asking advice for a first handgun purchase 15 years ago, and got some great useful advice. I soon became the happy owner of a Ruger SBH bisley hunter in 41 mag with a 2x20 Nikon Monarch scope. It weighs 56 ounces and will tame the fiercest loads I can build. I was just shooting some 250s through it yesterday.

Those of us with large fat fingers can like the bisley grip as it will still allow the pinky finger to grip the revolver. That may or may not be a consideration for you.

With lots of help from these forum members, I was guided into the purchase of a 6 inch 657, and then a 4 inch Taurus titanium tracker in 41, and then a Marlin 1894 FG carbine in 41, and finally the Holy Grail, sold to me by a fine member here, the S&W 657 4 inch Mountain Gun.

I still like the SAs, but have learned to prefer the DA revolvers. I like to carry the Tracker, but prefer to shoot the Smith Mountain Gun.

Do you hand load. This is almost a necessity for the 41, and casting really expands your horizons. I cast a 175 gr, a 210 gr, and a 250 gr for the 41. I have not done the trial, but am positive the 250 gr flat point over 20 gr of H110 would shoot through an elk, end to end, from either the 7.5 inch hunter or the carbine.

By the way, Marlin no longer chambers the 41, and a nice example is hard to find. But Henry is making the Big Boy in 41 mag.

The Hornady 210 gr XTP opens reliably over a wide range of velocities, and stays together surprisingly well even when pushed toward 1400 fps.

The Sierra 170 JHC can be pushed a bit faster than the 210 gr bullets, and recoil a bit less. It is highly recommended for deer hunting.

I shoot a lot of Berry's 210 gr plated bullets over 12 gr of HS 6, or 12 gr of SR 4756, or 12 gr of Blue Dot before Blue Dot became not recommended for the 41 mag. These each make a pleasant shooting load capable of serious work if need arise. I can shoot them from the light weight Taurus if needed, and they are actually pleasant to shoot from the Mountain Gun.

But where I really stretch the loading envelope is with the 165 gr cast or 175 gr cast bullets. I load either one with 5.0 gr of Titegroup, or 5.7 gr of Universal to a COAL of 1.482 to approximate internal volume of the 41 special wildcat.

This yields a muzzle velocity less than 800 fps and produces recoil similar to 38 special loads in a Blackhawk revolver.

Starline makes great brass for the 41. My brass all reads W-W on the head because I found it and bought 700 pieces when I bought my first revolver.

It really hurts me to say this, because I love to proselytize to the "Cult of the 41 Magnum". But if you are not a handloader, my advice would be: stick with the 357 or 44, for either of which ammo is much more available.

Look for a response from Bob, AKA RJM. He is a bit of a 41 mag guru. Or search the history of Handguns forum for posts by RJM. One can learn much.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Idaho Shooter, I am a handloader. I've been sitting here researching loads while watching the game. For my part of the country (southeast) the Sierra 170 jacketed looks like a great place to start.

M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Looks like I can get 500 pieces of new Starline for about a 100 bucks, in stock at Midway.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
The .41 is usually a really accurate gun. The dimensions of the case, throat, neck, and barrel were always set in stone, unlike the old .45s which might have a .454 bore, or some of the ".44s" which might have bullets that are .427" or maybe .429 or 430" or whathaveyou, depending on who made it.

Since everyone was making them to the same specs, it's easier to get an accurate .41 than the others. I do not dislike the others, but it seems to me that the .41s are easier to get shooting really well.

This.

41 mags generally have throats from .411 to .412, almost universally.

32s, 38s, 44s and 45s dont have that.

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
The .41 Magnum is a superb cartridge. I’ve been shooting and loading for this cartridge for 39 years, for Smith and Wesson Model 57 no dash revolvers. Nothing wrong at all with this round in the Rugers.

The .41 is about the perfect size for the N frame Smith, while I believe the frame is a bit light for the .44 (actually it’s a .429; only .019” difference in them). Easy to load for, quite well balanced.

My standard load is 17.5/2400, standard large pistol primers, 215 gr hard cast SWC. For bear protection, I load 20/296, magnum primer, 265 grain hard cast Cast Performance bullet. All have been wonderfully accurate...and my guns are still tight even with significant shooting of the former load.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

nope larger frame

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Idaho Shooter, I am a handloader. I've been sitting here researching loads while watching the game. For my part of the country (southeast) the Sierra 170 jacketed looks like a great place to start.

Yes that is a great place to start. If you expect targets at extremely short range, I would load the 170s just a bit short of maximum velocity. At fifty yds, push them hard.

Note of explanation: Many years ago, I shot the Berrys 210, Hornady 210 XTP, and Sierra 170 JHC into water. At max velocity from a 7.5 inch barrel and six feet vertical range, three samples of the 170 shed the jacket, and lost all but a small pellet of lead from the core. At a bit reduced velocity they fared much better.

The XTP core held together very well even though it shed the jacket with a maximum charge.

This was probably 12 or 13 years ago. If you desire more information, I have photos on the 'puter and notes in the logbook.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by 700LH

nope larger frame

I am a bit confused with the early BH revolvers.
I know the three screw 357 was on the original "medium" frame. And the larger SBH was designed around the new 44 mag.

But the 41 was not a SBH? correct?

Is it a SBH frame without the dragoon trigger guard/grip frame?

And then the 44, 41, 30 carbine, and 357 where all on the same frame when the new model blackhawk was introduced in 1974.

The 41 mag came out in '64, so I assume there are some three screw blackhawks out there in 41.

M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
I won't be pushing them super hard, this will be more of a work pistol than a hunting gun. I have a 454 hot rodded up for a hunting gun. I'll want a good service load with the least amount of trajectory drop out to 50 ish yards, without a huge amount of recoil.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Damn, I just stumbled across a listing on Guns America for a Ruger 3 screw BH in 41 mag at my favorite toy store about thirty miles from the house.

Listing is from August and the gun is sold of course.

Check gunbroker. I see a NM SS bisley 5.5 in listed at $800 and a very nice 1968 3 screw blue model with 4 5/8" barrel at $850.

Hell, if I was flush with cash right now, I would already have that three screw in transit.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I am partial to the 41as it saved my life or at the least severe body rearrangements. Two cartridges I try never to be without a gun to shoot is the 41 mag and the 45/70

Last edited by deerstalker; 01/13/20.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by deerstalker
I am partial to the 41as it saved my life or at the least severe body rearrangements. Two cartridges I try never to be without a gun to shoot is the 41 mag and the 45/70

I wanna hear the story.

M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Damn, I just stumbled across a listing on Guns America for a Ruger 3 screw BH in 41 mag at my favorite toy store about thirty miles from the house.

Check gunbroker. I see a NM SS bisley 5.5 in listed at $800 and a very nice 1968 3 screw blue model with 4 5/8" barrel at $850.

Hell, if I was flush with cash right now, I would already have that three screw in transit.

I've got a lead on one from a buddy of mine now, 7.5 inch BH. He's wanting to trade for a BH 45LC/ACP convertible that I have. I've asked for 150.00 boot, we'll see.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I knew an old timer who guided in the white mountains for 20+ years. He always carried a 41mag s&w. I know its stopped everything from bears to porcupines...

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Might have a 41 mag......or two

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[img]https://i.imgur.com/I8pWnJI.jpg?1[/img]

Not sure why that last pic won't appear. Just click on the link.

Last edited by Savuti; 01/14/20.

There is nothing made by man,
which cannot be broken by woman.
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Cult caliber...if you know what's good for you, you'll stay with the .45 Colt....buy one .41 and you'll end up in the poor house...the fentanyl of the revolver cartridge world... Idaho Shooter...Ron...addicts all started by someone they call The Enabler.... smile

For your reading enjoyment....

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?276144-41-magnum-special-data-center

And no, the OM Blackhawks in .41 were on the standard BH frame which is the .44 Magnum size frame, not the older Mid-frame flat top of the .357s.

If your friend with the 7.5" BH really has a 7.5", then the gun will be a Bisley or one of the stainless Hunter Models with SBH or Bisley gripframe. Standard BHs come in 4 5/8" or 6.5". There was also a stainless Bisley with a 5.5" barrel and a .44 Magnum size flat top in blue with the same length barrels. There was also one short run of standard BHs in stainless...

As to the 170 Sierra...best bullet for deer going. 26.0 grains of H110 runs in the 1600s from a 6.5" barrel. Gary Reeder's favorite .41 bullet for deer.

If you would like some cast HPs look at GT bullets...his favorite caliber is the .41 and he has a big selection...excellent prices. Matt's Bullets have a MP 190 grain WC HP that would make a great self-defense bullet....

You get hooked...don't say I didn't warn you...

Bob...aka The Enabler....

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Thanks Bob. I searched every way I knew how and could not determine the actual frame size of the OM. Though I certainly had no reason to doubt 700LH.

I did stumble across one 41 SBH, which I think was an OM, in the dragon configuration. ETA:Uhm..let's make that dragoon.

Last edited by Idaho_Shooter; 01/14/20.

M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
RJM thanks for all the info, I appreciate you guys taking the time to help.

Savutti, nice collection.

I guess it's to the poor house I'm headed, I gotta have one now. Will confirm on barrel length later today, haven't seen it yet.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
How about a little nostalgia for those that remember, Winchester original police loading, price on the box is 10.99 for 50. Don’t know why I haven’t shot em instead of packing them around for 40 years.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Swifty
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
...fire 12 rounds out of the gun, look down the barrel and you'll remember why you have been carrying them around instead of shooting them...

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RJM
...fire 12 rounds out of the gun, look down the barrel and you'll remember why you have been carrying them around instead of shooting them...

Probably, never did like 296 powder in it, still don’t. Anymore I only use 3 powders Unique (once in awhile for nostalgia), AA 5 for plinkers and AA9 for full house.

Swifty
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Swifty52
Originally Posted by RJM

Probably, never did like 296 powder in it, still don’t. Anymore I only use 3 powders Unique (once in awhile for nostalgia), AA 5 for plinkers and AA9 for full house.

Has nothing to do with 296. 296 is a great powder for the 41 mag in fact my favorite for too end loads

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Count me a 41 freak. Three screw Blackhawk, Redhawk and a tender super 14. I'm a caster so make what I want. All sorts of fun. Shoot 210s to 240s.

Society of Intolerant Old Men. Rifle Slut Division
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
I hunt with handguns a bit, have several .41mags and been impressed with accuracy & performance on game. Started with a 9" TC contender barrel from their custom shop, then added an 8" S&W 657.... then a 14" stainless contender by Bullberry.

Later i also added the .41mag to rifles, with the addition of a pair of marlin 1894's, and i finally had Match Grade Machine build a 16" .41mag contender carbine bbl.......the .41 is probably my most used straight-wall pistol cartridge.

============================================================

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I happen to be a 41 nut case myself, there are several here that get used often. Took a fat doe a few months back with my old model shorty. Got my first 41 in 1967, a 4" model 57. And I still have a 4" model 57! The 5.5" bisley see's the most use.

Dick

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Swifty...not sure what powder WW was using for the 210 lead load back then but it definitely wasn't 296... Those loads are only going 960 fps from a 4" but the bullets are so soft that they lead up all the rifling in just a couple cylinder full...

M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
RJM, you were correct, sumbitch never put a tape on it I guess, just thought it was a 7.5, it is a 6.5, but I now own one. I let him beat me up on the trade a little, but he knew he had what I wanted worse than he wanted what I had. Oh well. I guess I'm gonna order some brass and boolits tomorrow. I got about 5 different choices of powder in stock. Wish I could post a pic on here, but I don't know how. This format ain't easy for us dumbasses.

You have enabled me. 😁😁

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
If anyone needs 41 mag dies, I have an RCBS set. Free for shipping to you

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by saddlesore

PM sent, be glad to buy em from you.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I have owned a 4 5/8" OM Blackhawk for 25 years and have not shot it since 2000. I have a special run (Lipsey's?) RB 3" 657 with factory "etching/engraving" that I picked up at the Buda Cabelas 8 or 9 years ago that I have never shot. Too good of a deal to pass up. This thread makes me want to get the Smith out.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
I would like a Flat top 41.

4 5/8ths.

I have a flat top 44 special and a 45 colt.

I love those things.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

I wanna hear the story.

was in the back pasture looking for a missing heifer. found her upside down in a gully. she fell and couldn't get her legs under her and died
while checking her out a pissed off young black bear boar came boiling out of the brush, I stumbled back and tripped over a log, which broke my leg. the bear came over and as he stuck his head over the log I gave him a 210 just ahead of the hinge of his jaw. he had his mouth open and I got his last breath along with a lot of blood all over me. scared the wife when I came hobbling in. I carry a cell phone with me now so I can get someone to come pick me up when crap like that happens. .

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M

I wanna hear the story.

was in the back pasture looking for a missing heifer. found her upside down in a gully. she fell and couldn't get her legs under her and died
while checking her out a pissed off young black bear boar came boiling out of the brush, I stumbled back and tripped over a log, which broke my leg. the bear came over and as he stuck his head over the log I gave him a 210 just ahead of the hinge of his jaw. he had his mouth open and I got his last breath along with a lot of blood all over me. scared the wife when I came hobbling in. I carry a cell phone with me now so I can get someone to come pick me up when crap like that happens. .

Damn, glad you had it with you. About the worst I have to worry about when checking cows is buzzards when calving, and an occasional coyote.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
the gunwriter Brian Pearce has some excellent articles on the 41. He writes for Handloader magazine... also check out the web for Paco Kelly and John Taffin's articles on the 41

https://www.leverguns.com/articles/paco/41heavy.htm

https://americanhandgunner.com/discover/the-41-magnum/

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Because i have both rifle and pistol i load for the pistol and shoot them in the rifle.

The 170 grain sportmasters pick up some speed in the longer barrel.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I

That is quite the gentlemanly offer.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I

PM sent, be glad to buy em from you.

And a gentlemanly response.

A bunch of really great guys on this forum.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by EdM
I have owned a 4 5/8" OM Blackhawk for 25 years and have not shot it since 2000. I have a special run (Lipsey's?) RB 3" 657 with factory "etching/engraving" that I picked up at the Buda Cabelas 8 or 9 years ago that I have never shot. Too good of a deal to pass up. This thread makes me want to get the Smith out.

Ed, you really should.

I was shooting my MG last Sunday with a 21 year old nephew from Washington state who has had little exposure to firearms. (Though his Dad has taught him to keep the bugger picker out of the trigger guard, which I appreciated and complimented the young man on)

The young man obviously has no taste. He was actually drooling over a four inch SP 101 in 327, and dreaming of owning his own. Though, in fairness, the SP carries a nice action/trigger job and is almost as nice to shoot as is the MG.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Revolver and I think the ammo was made in 1968.

Sorry bout the rushed phone picture, pizza is in the oven wink

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Flat top 41 mag / 41 Special dual cylinder Ruger but the barrel is 5 1/2".

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

Replied .You got them.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M

Replied .You got them.

Thanks again.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Dibs !

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Robb10238
Flat top 41 mag / 41 Special dual cylinder Ruger but the barrel is 5 1/2".

Beauty. Who built it??

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have an old model shorty and some 265 Gr GC bullets loaded and ready to go. Should be a fun gun!!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I’ve owned and shot several 57’s/657’s over the years, but mostly over the years it’s been 44 magnum 29’s/629’s and RedHawks. You guys are gonna keep it up until I will have to go back and get another 41 magnum!

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I've owned four .41s over the years, two Ruger Bisleys, one Redhawk and a Freedom Arms 97 6 inch. The FA is the only one I still own and it gets fed a steady diet of hard cast 210s at about 1000 fps. If that's not enough oomph, I need a rifle. I've never owned a .45 Colt or a .44 Magnum - the .41 was the first magnum revolver I ever bought and I never saw a need for another magnum caliber. I do still have a .44 Special Ruger Bisley 5-1/2 inch, but that doesn't really do anything the .41 won't except provide a slightly heavier bullet at slightly greater (.019 inches) diameter.

If I ever find a reasonably priced Marlin lever in .41, I'd certainly pick it up. Sadly, they've gotten silly expensive.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by P_Weed
Dibs !

Gone.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

i think i have two 41blackhawks in the safe now, one i think late 60's the other early 70's
One of them i think without looking is pretransfere bar safety. Might be wrong on the dates.
first one i had a while, second one a friend owned a gunstore and he took it in.
bought it on the spot, the 41 did it, but it had been sold out of a liquor store in flagstaff, next to the campus of Nau, where i went to school.
it traveled all over northern arizona with the guy.
had an old style holster with it.
great to shoot.
our mutual friend the enabler got me started on 41's.

Last edited by RoninPhx; 01/15/20.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Ah, there you are. Where ya been?

Damn it. You guys have got me jonesing to try a 4 5/8 Bisley Blackhawk in 41. I will have to start looking for a likely candidate. There is still room in the safe, I think.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
how it works with 41's.
i saw mention of a ruger bisley in 41. guess what i was trolling for on the net last night? with that 7 plus inch barrel.
it never stops.

and i had to look in the safe. both of those blackhawks are three screws, no transfer bar safety. my personal opinion is they are smoother than the later ones with the safety.
one when i found it had a set of crappy to me aftermarket stocks on it. i replaced with what look like ruger stocks, but not specific to the revolver or period. would like to find a set of original stocks.
given these are around 60years old, they look like they were made last week.
hard to beat that old ruger quality.
another one i haven't tripped across is a 8inch barrel 57.

Last edited by RoninPhx; 01/16/20.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

Damn it. You guys have got me jonesing to try a 4 5/8 Bisley Blackhawk in 41. I will have to start looking for a likely candidate. There is still room in the safe, I think.

i do believe i saw a couple last night while searching the net.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
i resisted the urge for quite a while, but the enabler finally won out talking about the .41special. when i got the brass from starline and loaded it, was just perfect for the 41, particularly the smaller guns like a taurus etc. seems to match quite well with the 58's too.
one of the atvantages of a 41 to me is there is such a range of bullet weights and velocity, if you reload. from quite mild to elephant stompers.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
i resisted the urge for quite a while, but the enabler finally won out talking about the .41special. when i got the brass from starline and loaded it, was just perfect for the 41, particularly the smaller guns like a taurus etc. seems to match quite well with the 58's too.
one of the atvantages of a 41 to me is there is such a range of bullet weights and velocity, if you reload. from quite mild to elephant stompers.

He is proficient, skilled and relentless. Lol. smile

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
grin..who me?

FYI...there are no factory Bisley Models in .41 Magnum with a 4 5/8" barrel...only a 5.5" stainless, 7.5" blue and a 7.5" stainless Hunter...

...find a nice 4 5/8" gun and then find a Bisley frame and hammer...they are around...

M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M

another one i haven't tripped across is a 8inch barrel 57.

I have a friend that has one, it is 8-3/8's, he won't even talk about selling it.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by RJM
grin..who me?

FYI...there are no factory Bisley Models in .41 Magnum with a 4 5/8" barrel...only a 5.5" stainless, 7.5" blue and a 7.5" stainless Hunter...

...find a nice 4 5/8" gun and then find a Bisley frame and hammer...they are around...

Yes, I knew that. I anticipated having to shorten a 5.5" SS.

Is there a reason it would be preferable to retrofit Bisley components to a 4 5/8" gun instead?

I ask only because my one and only attempt to swap Bisley components did not go so well. I have the two SS Single Sevens in 4 5.8". I wanted to convert one to Bisley for my heaviest loads.

So when I saw the 5.5" SS Single Six available, I purchased one expressly for donor parts. The 'Smith also believed they were identical frames and it would be no big deal to swap the parts. But when we got them apart, he found there was a slight difference in the thickness of the grip frame and also the mounting holes were slightly misaligned.

I understand the factory can supply raw gripframes to be hand fitted to the individual gun. I just assumed it would be much less expensive to have one shortened, crowned, and the front sight reset.

M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Speaking of custom work on Rugers, does anyone know who could add real sights to a Vaquero? I have one that I absolutely love, just wish it had some real sights on it.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Dave...you are correct it would be easier to shorten an existing gun to 4 5/8" the problem of course being finding one... There are tons of 4 5/8" guns out there in blue steel and as far as I know putting a Bisley gripframe on one is no major problem... Best place to ask is over on the SingleAction Forums...those guys do it all the time...

mirage...try Jack Huntington at JRH Precision... I've had two guns modified by him and he is one of the masters... And again if you ask over on the SA Forums those guys know everything about SA mods and who does the best job.

...and nice guns bartman...

Bob

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M

I have a Standard 7.5 inch blued Bisley 41 mag if you are looking for one to cut down. I just found a fluted cylinder 41 magnum Bisley and it's going to replace my current Bisley. My non fluted is a tack driver but I've always wanted a Bisley 41 with the fluted cylinder. PM me if you are interested.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by 257heaven
I have an old model shorty and some 265 Gr GC bullets loaded and ready to go. Should be a fun gun!!

I hope the front sight is tall enough. Back in the early 90s I had a 4-5/8" barreled Blackhawk .41 and the rear sight was screwed down hard to get it on target with 210s.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had a 5 1/2 standard blackhawk in the 1980s. I shot the heck out of it. I think those had an aluminum frame, because in my mind it was moderately light weight. Naturally since I liked it so much, I sold it for a 7.5 inch unfluted bisley. I really never had the same appreciation for the weight and long barrel, so that revolver is a safe queen. I have other shorter bisleys, and I really like those, but they are in 4 5/8 44 special, 3 1/2 44 mag, and 5 1/2 45LC.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by mart

I have a Standard 7.5 inch blued Bisley 41 mag if you are looking for one to cut down. I just found a fluted cylinder 41 magnum Bisley and it's going to replace my current Bisley. My non fluted is a tack driver but I've always wanted a Bisley 41 with the fluted cylinder. PM me if you are interested.

Thanks for the offer. But my wants do exceed my means at the moment. I am fully involved in a rifle project for this winter. The next revolver project is probably a year away.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Mart, if you want I'll send you the tool to chuck the engraved cylinder in a drill press so you can dress off the engraving on the one you have. Have it reblued and you have a 7 1/2" bisley that looks like it wears a SBH cylinder.

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Thanks Robb but I have a fluted cylinder 41 on the way and it looks like my non fluted is spoken for. I'm going to have the fluted 41 shortened to 5.5 inches and a few other custom touches done.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Well I finally got to shoot my new 41 today, pretty dang sweet gun, Ilike it. I gotta find a solution to putting some type of high viz sight on the front. I guess machining the blade off and drilling the front base is my only option. Anyone else have another solution? These 54 year old eyes ain't what the used to be.

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I'm another one who wishes that BHs had the same interchangeable front sight blade system that the Freedom Arms guns have.

I'm just wondering if any of the big name gunsmiths can mill the base of a Ruger to take the FA blades... Most of them simply mill off the blade and mortise out the base, drill for a cross pin and then pin a new blade in place. I would imagine that the FA base is milled from the bottom of the base.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I know Clements does that conversion on blued guns. Simple pin to take blades. He also provides blades of different heights. The stainless guns come with the pinned front blade. Wish Ruger did their blue guns like that.

Also, if you get it converted, there’s a guy on Rugerforum that makes a nice patridge type blade for them. I have a few that I installed on my newer 5-shot 454 and 480’s.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

41 mags are sweet especially the S&W M57

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
How about a little nostalgia for those that remember, Winchester original police loading, price on the box is 10.99 for 50. Don’t know why I haven’t shot em instead of packing them around for 40 years.

Stationed in Kaiserslautern, Germany as a lieutenant, I bought a 6.5” Blackhawk in .41 Mag at the Vogelweh Rod and Gun Club for $275 in 1989. The Club had lots of the original of the original lead police loads. I shot a bunch of them and they were very accurate from my revolver. I now shoot that load’s modern twin; the HSM Cowboy Load featuring a 215 gr LSWC at 975.

Last edited by ExpatFromOK; 01/19/20.

"There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men." - Robert Heinlein
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
"I now shoot that load’s modern twin; the HSM Cowboy Load featuring a 215 gr LSWC at 975."

...the difference being that the Remington and Winchester bullets were sawged and the HSM being cast....

Bob

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Love the .41 mag, took my first buck with a m57 and 210 XTP . Great round

Benefactor Life Member NRA, Arizona Hunter Education Instructor
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
this thread got me to dig out a couple of 41magnum three screws i had stashed away.
got kind of a pleasant surprise on one of them.
I knew it had been carried all over northern arizona, and well cared for, looks like a new gun.
it was bought at ruff's liquor store next to the N.A.U. campus in flagstaff.
I looked up date of manufacture today, 1972, the year i graduated from N.A.U. kind of a graduation present i think. I use to buy a lot of beer in that liquor store, the gun was probably in a display case at the time.

Last edited by RoninPhx; 01/22/20.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Until recently, I had a stainless Ruger 45 colt/45 ACP convertible NMBH. A fellow on the single actions forum made a base that accepted Freedom Arms inserts. Andy Horvath put it on for me. It was pretty sweet.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
My 41 needs are met by the duo of a 4-1/4" Freedom Arms M-97, and a Smith M-657 no dash 6".
Originally the FA was paired with an M-57 4".
Both of those guns shot great. With different loads.
I'll say the Smith was picky because the FA shot most everything great. But not the one load the Smith shot the best. Not wanting to dink around with ammo mix-ups and such, the M-57 went to a new home. This M-657 likes all the loads the FA likes, so it's a match.
There is one 44 magnum still in my safe. that M-329PD is only staying because I've given up on finding an M-357PD for a reasonable price. Or at almost any price.
It's a purpose built sidearm that gets a lot of carry hours.

Last edited by m_stevenson; 02/28/20.

Mark

NRA Life Member
Anytime anyone kicks cancers azz is a good day!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 700LH

nope larger frame

I am a bit confused with the early BH revolvers. The 41 mag came out in '64, so I assume there are some three screw blackhawks out there in 41.

You will find some older 3 screw .41 magnum Blackhawks, but like the ones in .45 Colt they will all be on the larger 44 magnum frame.

We deal in lead, friend.
J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Mirage, I was in the same boat as you with the 41 until I finally took the plunge and bought one. My 7 1/2" 657 has had great effect in the field using 210gr XTP handloads but it was`ent until I had FA`s build me a 10" model 83 in 41 that the true potential of this cartridge showed itself. Two New Mexico mulies and two Maine bobcat are some of the game taken with the 41. One of the mule deer was a single 70yd shot shooting a 210gr Swift handload.. I`ve found the 41 Mag to be an almost perfect cartridge for 90% of American game....[Linked Image from i1083.photobucket.com][Linked Image from i1083.photobucket.com]

"I have more guns then I need but not as many as I want"
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
41 fan here too.
Have a ruger redhawk that's been with me for 20years or more
Have owned a few others as well,wish I had never sold the s&w 57.
The super blackhawk hunter was a shooter too.
Liked the blackhawk 4 5/8 barrel, but someone offered to much money for it one day.

Just because you're offended doesn't mean your right.
M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by jimmyjones
Mirage, I was in the same boat as you with the 41 until I finally took the plunge and bought one. My 7 1/2" 657 has had great effect in the field using 210gr XTP handloads but it was`ent until I had FA`s build me a 10" model 83 in 41 that the true potential of this cartridge showed itself. Two New Mexico mulies and two Maine bobcat are some of the game taken with the 41. One of the mule deer was a single 70yd shot shooting a 210gr Swift handload.. I`ve found the 41 Mag to be an almost perfect cartridge for 90% of American game....[Linked Image from i1083.photobucket.com][Linked Image from i1083.photobucket.com]

JJ, I bought one about a month ago, BH 6.5, my eyes are getting so bad up close that I mounted a Red Dot on it. I've been shooting it almost every day. I'm really impressed, I ordered some 175 cast hollow points from GT Bullets out of Ga. I've already shot over 400 of them and ordered some more. That bullet over 7 grains of Titeload is a hell of an everyday load for small stuff, 100 yards is real easy to ring 6 inch plates.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
the only problem i have found is they breed in the gun safe. I started with a m57, that has way expanded to different manufacturers, barrel lengths and so on.
i have loaded from 170 to 300 grain in that caliber. for me, around 230 to 240 grain at about 1000fps rings the bell most times.
current fascination is with a totally impractical gun the m357pd. they didn't make them for very long, and particularly the nightguard version.
i am afraid if i ever trip across one, the money is gone and it will reside in the safe for me to look at.
i have an enabler that posts on here. he told me years ago some variation of about 8 grains of unique covers about all the bullets a 41 will use.
he is right. having said that i have used a number of different powders.

Last edited by RoninPhx; 03/04/20.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Torqued
41 fan here too.
Have a ruger redhawk that's been with me for 20years or more
Have owned a few others as well,wish I had never sold the s&w 57.
The super blackhawk hunter was a shooter too.
Liked the blackhawk 4 5/8 barrel, but someone offered to much money for it one day.

i keep meaning to pull one, a redhawk, out of the safe to measure the barrel, i think it's five or five 1/2inch.
it's also blued, with a interchangable front sight, with three different colors

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
IF you can find some of them, the old Speer 220gr. Half-Jacket bullets are awfully accurate bullets. When I first got my 6.5" Blackhawk, I put together some loads from a Speer manual using Blue Dot and those 220s. Mind you, I just bought the gun, and just picked a load out of the manual and assembled them, without shooting any factory ammo at all.

Some friends put a milk jug full of water out at 100 yards, and not knowing any better, the first cylinder load ever fired out of the Blackhawk were aimed at that milk jug. I hit it with the third shot, and the succeeding three shots hit it, too. I was a fan after that.

Later on, after I started casting, I used the Lyman #410459 mould (the Keith bullet), and a stiff load of Unique, and it would regularly shoot into 1.5" at 25 yards. That was one nice-shooting Blackhawk. I don't remember what I swapped it for, but no doubt it was a poor trade.

Thinking back on it, I don't think I ever shot any factory ammo through the Blackhawk. No reason to do so, with it shooting my own loads so well.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've always had an affinity for the S&W Model 58.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I actually prefer my 58 to the 57 or the Blackhawk. It wears a set of Jordan Troopers. Outstanding revolver.

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Just for you .41 Magnum Fans!

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/18620429#Post18620429

As usual I dropped on out of the first shot group on the left.

215 grain hardcast SWCs at a moderate 1210 FPS from a 5" barrel.

Easy shooting, but still packs a wallop! Great combo.

cool

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Mackay, as always, great shooting.

This thread is a pleasant blast from the past. Thanks for retrieving it.

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
You bet!

I have had a good number of guys ask about .41s so I figured I would bring this up here.

Plus that is RJM's converted Model 27 that I am using as a test gun.

Super cool piece for sure!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
And if you don't have a .41 Mag, here's a cool option for sale on the Ruger forum classifieds. smile

Interarms Virginia Dragoon Silhouette 10.5" .41 Mag

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Back in the dark ages I just had to have a .41. A fellow in Nevada, where I lived had one and when I went to buy it I was disappointed, it was a 3 screw (all they made) but it had the squared off trigger guard. I knew it was a .44 and told him I'd pass. He laughed and said read the caliber on the thing, it said .41 Magnum. I hardly believed it so he got a .44 Magnum round and said chamber it, by golly it didn't fit. It was the only one I ever saw and kept me company for years until I just had to have, I forget. Never took a photo and don't know the barrel length but I think it was a 7 1/2". It was a 4 digit serial number, also unknown. Just dang. Remorse hurts. Let me tell you about my Model 58 S&W that left, too. At least I kept my RH in .41 along with a wood boxed Model 57 6" with an S series serial number. It's amazing how long it takes to get smarter

I'm not cheap, I'm frugal.
[Linked Image]
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M

The gun shown here belongs to RJM52.

It is what I consider to be the ideal "Mountain Gun/Packing gun platform.

It is a skinny barrel Model 27 that was in rough shape that he had rechambered to .41. Complete with my personal favorite 5" barrel length. There are a fair bit of rough spots on the gun, corrosion wise that were cleaned up as best as possible before the gun was refinished. This makes it even better in my eye. It was never meant to be a safe queen. It is a true working gun.

With that 5" barrel and a good general purpose load, it makes for a great belt gun for all around field use. Been enjoying this one!

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by skeen
And if you don't have a .41 Mag, here's a cool option for sale on the Ruger forum classifieds. smile

Interarms Virginia Dragoon Silhouette 10.5" .41 Mag

That is super cool!

I did not know that such a beast existed!

Pics for fun!

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Had a 6" M57 back in the 80's but foolishly traded it for some other now forgotten gotta have. Only two I have now are snubbies
[Linked Image from photos.imageevent.com]

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I've got 2 657's I picked up from a collector after 2-3 years of bad influence from RJM. smile

One 4" and one 6".

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Those look like some serious little powerhouses Paul105!

RJM is how a lot of this all started.

The M27 shown is his!

C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
I have a few 657's and a 357PD (which, with full house loads, is one of the most uncomfortable revolvers to shoot that I own.) I found a 58 no dash recently on consignment at the LGS. In the case, it looked new. In my hands, it looked refinished and the cylinder was a sort of weird, off color. Also, it just didn't feel right when manipulating the various mechanical functions. To me, it didn't feel like a S&W should feel. I passed.

Mathew 22: 37-39

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by cra1948
I have a few 657's and a 357PD (which, with full house loads, is one of the most uncomfortable revolvers to shoot that I own.) I found a 58 no dash recently on consignment at the LGS. In the case, it looked new. In my hands, it looked refinished and the cylinder was a sort of weird, off color. Also, it just didn't feel right when manipulating the various mechanical functions. To me, it didn't feel like a S&W should feel. I passed.

So don't shoot full house loads.

Try a 210 hardcast SWC at about 1200 FPS. MUCH more pleasant...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Have you considered pistol in 10mm like: Glock, M&P, FNH, XD,...? Unless you are willing to buy specialty loads or roll your own and use it for hunting I see no point in getting .41Magnum revolver. Why not .44 Magnum for greater power & versitility? Both .41 Magnum and .44 Magnum guns are offered in same size package.

M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Slavek

Have you considered pistol in 10mm like: Glock, M&P, FNH, XD,...? Unless you are willing to buy specialty loads or roll your own and use it for hunting I see no point in getting .41Magnum revolver. Why not .44 Magnum for greater power & versitility? Both .41 Magnum and .44 Magnum guns are offered in same size package.

I bought a .41 about 3-1/2 years ago right after I posted this.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush

So don't shoot full house loads.

Try a 210 hardcast SWC at about 1200 FPS. MUCH more pleasant...

I have an NEI .41- 220 grain Keith style SWC mold (square bottom lube grooves as EK preferred) and the plan has been to develop a load of around 1000 - 1200 fps around that bullet for the 357PD, but other concerns keep pushing that project to the back burner.

Mathew 22: 37-39

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
The "Skeeter" load works well in the 41Mag just like it does in the 44 Special, obviously using the 220 H&G Keith, the 412429 (or in my case the 230 NOE) Keith bullet and 7.5 grs. Unique.

I sub 8 grs CFE Pistol for the 7.5grs. Unique.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I've tried & tried to prove that the 44 magnum is better than the 41 magnum for 50 years but in the field I just haven't been able to do it. Mostly I've used the excellent Saeco 230 gr Keith bullet in the 41 magnum but sometimes it's been a 250 gr bullet. After over 40 head of game in Idaho, Utah, Montana, Wyoming, Texas & Africa with the 41 magnum I've recovered perhaps 4-5 bullets from deer, elk, bear, antelope & African plains game up to 450-500 lbs. All of these animals were taken with cast bullets, none with jacketed & none with factory ammo. I've also taken somewhere around the same amount of game with my 44's & I love them but put 250 gr bullets in both & I don't think anyone can show a difference. I think you would have to go bigger, perhaps, 280 gr bullets or heavier to outrun the dandy 41 magnum.
In a model 57 S&W the same frame as a 44 magnum model 29 S&W the 41 will out last the 44 with heavy loads. I've taken several animals with model 29's & love them too but you can abuse them with heavy bullets & heavy loads, that's hard to do with a model 57 smith. The big cow elk was shot almost length ways with a 230 gr Keith bullet, hitting her just behind the right front shoulder & exiting on the left hip, you can see the exit, she ran about 25 yds.
That mean looking hombre holding one of my guns is RJM52 & he is deadly shooting double action out at long range, trust me.
[img]https://i.imgur.com/gXaQvOrh.jpg[/im
Dick

Last edited by Idaho1945; 08/04/23.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nice!

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Absolutely fantastic pics!

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Whenever there is a pic of a dead badger and handgun, you can expect to see Dick in the picture

Internet analysis: 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact

Fools & fanatics are always so certain and wise people are always so questioning

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
I have the Taurus tracker titanium 5 shot in 41 mag. Purchased from Carabou Jack after a note from RJM alerting me. It weighs out very close to the 357.

I feed it mostly 165 to 175 cast at about 800 fps. It is very accurate with that load. I will throw some 1000 fps 210s in it if packing it out where I might run into a predator.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by Idaho1945
Sure do miss that guy around here.

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Yep,

He was a good source of knowledge in a number of areas.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Idaho1945
Sure do miss that guy around here.

i have been out touch due a stroke i did something happen rjm? got me started on ,41s years ago.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
something happen to rjm?
one of my favorite people

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
something happen to rjm?
one of my favorite people

He quit posting here

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Bob is doing well. I hear from him occasionally.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I am pretty sure he hangs out over on Lee Martin's forum.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Interesting.
[Linked Image from p1.gunbroker.com]

Mine is an FG. Purchased at Sportsman's for $500 the year they were produced. Mine shoots much better with the receiver aperture sight on it.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Bob is doing well. I hear from him occasionally.

Bob is doing well. I speak to him frequently. That man stays busy. Always helping his friends out.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

PDF attachement didn't work

Elmer Keith
F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
I'm late to the 41 Magnum game, but this is what I've been working with the last year or so to get it all dialed in.

The only downside to the Freedom Arms model 97 is that it has a short cylinder length that measures 1.6" and if you try to push some of the heavies out of it, they're too long to fit the cylinder. I've been shooting some of the 240 Keith SWC's from Rimrock and to get by the length problem, I've been loading them in 41 Spl brass cases. Plan on loading some 250 WFN-GC's in them as well.

Not sure if the 4.5" barrel is going to survive, or if I'm going to send it back to FA for a longer tube to get more out of it. Time will tell!

Frog----OUT!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Aw, hell, you fellas are gonna talk me into a .41 Mag. shocked

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Aw, hell, you fellas are gonna talk me into a .41 Mag. shocked

Great cartridge, you'll love it.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by frogman43
The only downside to the Freedom Arms model 97 is that it has a short cylinder length that measures 1.6" and if you try to push some of the heavies out of it, they're too long to fit the cylinder.
Frog----OUT!

I never could understand this thought.

If you are loading your own, you have the ability to customize the ammo as you need to for your gun.

If your cylinder is 1.6 inches long, load the bullet to 1.55-1.58 inches COAL.

My Taurus is equipped with a short cylinder in 41 mag, as is the single seven in 327.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
The only downside to the Freedom Arms model 97 is that it has a short cylinder length that measures 1.6" and if you try to push some of the heavies out of it, they're too long to fit the cylinder.
Frog----OUT!

I never could understand this thought.

If you are loading your own, you have the ability to customize the ammo as you need to for your gun.

If your cylinder is 1.6 inches long, load the bullet to 1.55-1.58 inches COAL.

My Taurus is equipped with a short cylinder in 41 mag, as is the single seven in 327.

Okay, well I'll try to clarify my statement. Take for example the 240 Keith SWC from Rimrock bullets I mentioned, if you crimp it in the crimp groove in 41 Magnum brass, it is then too long to fit in the cylinder. Now you CAN crimp over the front driving band, and I have tried that, but I didn't like the results. While it fits that way, it doesn't produce the accuracy I wanted.

The solution was simple, instead of trimming 41 Mag brass down to make it fit, and then try to keep track of it in the future so it didn't get mixed up with the others, I would just use 41 Spl brass with the shorter length and that way it fits and is marked differently. I am ordering some 250 WFN-GC's for it as well and they will most assuredly go into the Special brass to fit into the cylinder.

There's not much of a problem with standard size bullets, just the heavier versions with a longer nose to crimp length.

Perhaps that makes it a little clearer.

Frog---OUT!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Great looking combo there, GunNut!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have only have one 41 Magnum these days; it's my Smith & Wesson Model 57-5 "Mountain Gun".

I wouldn't mind adding a Ruger Blackhawk w/ a 4.62-inch barrel, preferably in SS; I haven't seen one in some time.

The 41 isn't dead yet.

StarchedCover

Semper Fi
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I routinely kick myself in the ass for not buying one of the Ruger Bisley Hunters in .41 when they were made.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
My introduction to the 41 got off to a rocky start. I bought a S&W M57 from a member here. A fine gun great guy to deal with and at a fair price. Well Michigan is one of the few states where you have to register handguns. Shortly after I bought the gun I got a call from the local sheriff. Seems the gun was stolen in Washington state back in 1986!! Needless to say I had to surrender the gun and was out the $1000 purchase price.
I replaced it with another one and now have two M57's both 4 inch, a nickel and a blue version. There fun guns to shoot and as I have a 4 inch M29 as well I can say all things considered I favor the 41 over the 44.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by GSPfan
My introduction to the 41 got off to a rocky start. I bought a S&W M57 from a member here. A fine gun great guy to deal with and at a fair price. Well Michigan is one of the few states where you have to register handguns. Shortly after I bought the gun I got a call from the local sheriff. Seems the gun was stolen in Washington state back in 1986!! Needless to say I had to surrender the gun and was out the $1000 purchase price.
I replaced it with another one and now have two M57's both 4 inch, a nickel and a blue version. There fun guns to shoot and as I have a 4 inch M29 as well I can say all things considered I favor the 41 over the 44.

Ouch, man, that sucks.

I didn't know you had to register handguns in Michigan. That sucks too. frown

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Yeah it sucked all the way around and as I have a concealed carry permit and carry a handgun while grouse hunting in the Upper Peninsula I wasn't about to chance getting checked by a warden.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by SCGunNut
I routinely kick myself in the ass for not buying one of the Ruger Bisley Hunters in .41 when they were made.

The one that I have is one of the most accurate revolvers I have - as many have mentioned the .41 is typically very accurate anyway but that Bisley will out shoot a couple of Freedom Arms revolvers that I have…….just saying so if you do stumble across one DO NOT hesitate!!

PennDog

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Might this Dick be someone we know in Idaho? smile

https://gunsmagazine.com/guns/handguns/having-fun-with-the-41/

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Skeen

Had one of those back in the mid 80’s. Fun to shoot although some top end loads weren’t. Decided I didn’t need 2 at the time and to fund something else one went. Decided to keep the one bought in 74 which I still have and enjoy.

Swifty
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice link - that Ruger shot well, like early Redhawks.....the TC did fair, for a TC. I like about a 12 - 12.5 on long end. Had a 10, 12, and 14....in many chamberings, inc. 41.

Re: the OMBH, I had no trouble with a 'shorty' using Pachmayr grips, with 21-22 H110/296 and 210s......

IIRC, FWIW - the gap on the Rugers often were tighter than S&W, giving the short Rugers about the same speed as a say 6" M57.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

GunNut, I do the same. Looked at them seriously several times, but never pulled the trigger.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Skeen

Had one of those back in the mid 80’s. Fun to shoot although some top end loads weren’t. Decided I didn’t need 2 at the time and to fund something else one went. Decided to keep the one bought in 74 which I still have and enjoy.

Swifty, that rear sight on your Ruger, is that an aftermarket sight? What brand?

Elmer Keith
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Millet

Swifty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by PennDog

The one that I have is one of the most accurate revolvers I have - as many have mentioned the .41 is typically very accurate anyway but that Bisley will out shoot a couple of Freedom Arms revolvers that I have…….just saying so if you do stumble across one DO NOT hesitate!!

PennDog

Wonder what this one will go for.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1003288508

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by local_dirt

Why Yes, I do believe it is! LOL Sure would love to have some of those powder coated WFN cast bullets that they refer to in the article that Dick pours.

Frog----OUT!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by local_dirt

Why Yes, I do believe it is! LOL Sure would love to have some of those powder coated WFN cast bullets that they refer to in the article that Dick pours.

Frog----OUT!

Oh yeah. Indeed.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Skeen

That looks like a pretty good one to keep for sure.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by PennDog

PennDog

Wonder what this one will go for.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1003288508
I see it went for $1400.

It has been almost twenty years since I got mine, a Davidson's gun. $500 then. That is not bad appreciation. I think the Marlin FG is doing almost as well.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Nice!

Right!

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I imagine, there are those who wish they had a 41 magnum; then there are those who own a 41 mag. and enjoy it to the fullest. Never be without a 41 mag.

The 44's are grand, yet they are not a 41.

Long live the 41 Rem. Mag.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

610 members (007FJ, 1234, 11point, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 66 invisible), 2,408 guests, and 1,212 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,422
Posts18,470,622
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.