Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 12 of 34 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 33 34
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Heck, we even see these traits in rats. If you have two rats of unequal size and you pair them against each other in successive wrestling matches, the larger rat will let the small one win about 1/3 of the time, so the small one will be willing to continue the cycle of play. See it's so simple even a rat can do it.

So the bigger rat (instinctively) acts to give himself a preponderance of satisfying consequences, namely more play dominating the smaller rat. Those endorphins from conquest are addictive. Thought you took Ethics. I'm not going to re-argue Plato - been way too long since I read Plato - but why should we seek, say, perfect justice when instinctively we, individually, are better off cheating?

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Spotshooter

He does answer prayers.

99.9999999999999% of the time the answer seems
to be this >

Attached Images
Jesus_flipping_the_bird.jpg (28.22 KB, 149 downloads)

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by texasbatman
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
It's because there's nobody listening, Wabi. Or as I said above, god is a cruel bastid.

I pray you will repent so that you will never know just how cruel (just) He can be. Let's say I am wrong. No big deal. I die and cease to exist. Lets say you are wrong. You die and live in eternal misery and agony.

Jim

Pascal's Wager?

Really?

That was only debunked several hundred years ago.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by nighthawk
Heck, we even see these traits in rats. If you have two rats of unequal size and you pair them against each other in successive wrestling matches, the larger rat will let the small one win about 1/3 of the time, so the small one will be willing to continue the cycle of play. See it's so simple even a rat can do it.

So the bigger rat (instinctively) acts to give himself a preponderance of satisfying consequences, namely more play dominating the smaller rat. Those endorphins from conquest are addictive. Thought you took Ethics. I'm not going to re-argue Plato - been way too long since I read Plato - but why should we seek, say, perfect justice when instinctively we, individually, are better off cheating?

Because we are not better off cheating.

The single most damaging thing to an economy is corruption.

You need to do a better job examining your presuppositions.

Last edited by antelope_sniper; 01/13/20.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
You kind of relate to rats, it seems.

So, from when came this innate desire of a species to survive? Just natural I guess, right?

Or, maybe even animals were smart enough to learn something riding in an ark.

Of course, it couldnt be that their Creator gave them the sense of trying to survive also as a species.

My, my. GOD is Great.

whistle

Last edited by jaguartx; 01/13/20.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
IC B2

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by jaguartx
You kind of relate to rats, it seems.

So, from when came this innate desire of a species to survive? Just natural I guess, right?

whistle

Hmmmm,

What happens to populations with no desire to survive???

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by bamagun01
I know God answers prayers. He is still doing miracles also. I’ve seen both in my son and father’s surgeries. To God be the glory!

How many surgeons? How many combined years of medical training and experience? How many dollars worth of equipment at their disposal?

During my sons very technical lens replacement surgery (@ 11 months old) the Doctor came to tell us after 3-4 hrs and multiple attempts it just wasn’t going to happen. We had a very committed prayer with the doctor, my family and my pastor. The doctor went back in for to try once more. The doctor said the lens slid in like Cinderella’s slipper. My son is now 19yrs old and enjoying near 20/20 eyesight. The doctor still refers to him as the miracle patient.

After my father’s first heart valve replacement surgery the doctors detected infection a couple of days later. His incision was oozing and opening back up. That was on a Wednesday. That evening our church members had a special prayer for his recovery. Around 2am my father sat up in the bed from his sleep. He did not know what woke him. Thursday morning before taking him back for surgery the doctors noticed the infection was gone and there was no need for surgery. He made a full recovery.

Call it what you want. I know it was the Lord placing his healing hand on my family. Prayer works and it’s amazing how many don’t believe in God until they need him.

God is almighty.

"If I couldn't laugh I would go insane." JB
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
That's too stupid to answer.

You step in the trap you lay for others, just as HE said.

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I said individually better off, f--- society.. For example lots of stuff I could have stolen from work with zero chance of getting caught. One job I had relatively free access to accounting records. Fake a few contracts with one conspirator and we'd both get rich. Because I had trusted access a little presto changeo on the computer and we'd both get rich. The books were so screwed up (government) nobody would ever notice.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Would not have yielded a preponderance of satisfying consequences, all things considered. wink

Which explains a lot.
IC B3

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Ej, if you could have been smart enough to become a teacher for retards, you could have dealt with folks on your level.

Like most christians, your not very christian... or maybe that makes you pretty christian.

Its very confusing to see a man of science, also talk about HE.. but then call someone a retard. The very nature that a doctors brain would be contempt with the belief in religion makes you the retard.

re·tard
verb
/riˈtärd/
delay or hold back in terms of progress, development, or accomplishment.

Keep praying for that lung to come back... im sure he’ll answer your prayers and you’ll be a spring chicken in no time!

Now go back to your christian ways of spewing your hate grumps...

DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DBT
The strongest part being that there is not a single case of a proven miracle to hold up.

“When James was born the midwife scooped him up and put him in my hands. But I noticed that his legs and arms dangled down. He wasn’t moving. He wasn’t breathing. He wasn’t crying, he was kind of a blue colour. So I held him for a second and then my midwife took him and she began CPR.”

It was at this point that Bonnie fell into a state shock. Her friend, who was present at the birth, called an ambulance and her husband calmly performed an emergency baptism. At the moment that Travis traced water on his son¹s forehead and baptised him James Fulton, Bonnie’s friend began to pray for the intercession of the newborn¹s namesake.

By the time the paramedics arrived there was still no pulse. Bonnie spent the 20-minute journey to the hospital in a separate ambulance from her husband and baby, lying alone, unaware if her son was dead or alive.

Five men eventually emerged with tears in their eyes. “They said to him: ‘Your son is alive’ and Travis understood in that moment that what they were really saying was: ‘He’s alive now but just for right now.’ The fact that they were crying meant that he knew that things were really bad

The miraculous breath had come after 61 excruciating minutes. James had breathed again at the moment doctors gave up their efforts and stopped to record his time of death.

Bonnie starts to explain to me the full extent of the miracle. “The way my doctor explained it to me was: ‘It’s amazing that James came back to life and it¹s a miracle that he is doing as well as he is.¹ Because he should have had massive organ failure and then they expected him to be very severely disabled. Then they thought that he would have very severe cerebral palsy. They thought that he would have to be strapped to a wheelchair for the rest of his life, have a feeding tube and probably be blind. They thought that mentally he would not be aware of anything. It was supposed to be pretty grim ­ and that was if he even lived.”

Bonnie was able to bring her baby home after seven weeks in hospital. “As he continued I think they gave us an increasingly better prognosis. So it went from very severely disabled to: ‘OK, so he’s going to have cerebral palsy. We just don¹t know what it will look like.’ But he continued to get better and seemed more and more like a normal baby… I mean, there was always some big question marks for about the first six to 12 months just because he was a baby, so we had to wait for him to hit his milestones to know how complete the miracle was.

“But my husband, and I and family and friends, were all at home interacting with James when he was two and a half months old, when he was five months old, and were sitting there thinking: ‘This kid is normal. He’s like any of our other babies we¹ve seen at this age. This really is a miracle.'”

Well documented, happened in 2010 involving a modern medical facility. Explain that one.

Copied from Catholic Herald but if you Google "sheen miracle" you'll get a buttload of references.

Isolated incidents like that example are not enough to prove the proposition of 'miracles' - things that happen above and beyond natural causation. Unusual events are not miracles, they are simply improbable events, yet events that are within the bounds of possibility. Calling them 'miracles' does not mean they are caused by a supernatural entity.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A

I said individually better off, f--- society.. For example lots of stuff I could have stolen from work with zero chance of getting caught. One job I had relatively free access to accounting records. Fake a few contracts with one conspirator and we'd both get rich. Because I had trusted access a little presto changeo on the computer and we'd both get rich. The books were so screwed up (government) nobody would ever notice.

One of the claims I don't accept on hypothetical moral dilemma is the "You know you won't get caught". It artificially eliminates the risk/reward calculation. Hell might not be real, but prison, especially Federal Prison Time, is a very real thing. Additionally, you would have a co-conspirator, a dishonest co-conspirator, which adds it's own flavor of risk.

How any times can you kill somebody for the money in their pockets? Compare that to the number of times you can trade with someone, with each of you deriving mutual benefit from the transactions?

Cooperation allows division of labor and specialization. This increases everyone's productivity, and lead to more goods and services for everyone. In general ever time you increase the order of magnitude of an economic unit, such as a city, productivity increases 10%. So, on an per person basis, 1000 people are 33% more productive than one person. But if the 1,000 can't trust each other, then that advantage evaporates, and they become 1000 individual islands.

Now extend the above example to include warfare. In general, who's more likely to win. The cohesive society, or the rogue individuals.

Outlaws only have to screw up once for their goose to be cooked. The long arm of the law only has to get him once.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

So the bigger rat (instinctively) acts to give himself a preponderance of satisfying consequences, namely more play dominating the smaller rat.

Or the large rat simply applied what was applied
to it by larger rats when it was young in order to
encourage next gen individuals to remain interactive
in a social structure group.

Prob not much different to parents at times
letting their child win at chess.

Parents often have to remind the older children
to ease off on the younger siblings and give them
a chance, rather than always taking the easy
oportunity to take advantage and dominate them
in various activities.

So the 'altruism' one sees in some kids comes
From the training from their parents not from some
outside of the natural world God.

DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DBT
The strongest part being that there is not a single case of a proven miracle to hold up.

“When James was born the midwife scooped him up and put him in my hands. But I noticed that his legs and arms dangled down. He wasn’t moving. He wasn’t breathing. He wasn’t crying, he was kind of a blue colour. So I held him for a second and then my midwife took him and she began CPR.”

It was at this point that Bonnie fell into a state shock. Her friend, who was present at the birth, called an ambulance and her husband calmly performed an emergency baptism. At the moment that Travis traced water on his son¹s forehead and baptised him James Fulton, Bonnie’s friend began to pray for the intercession of the newborn¹s namesake.

By the time the paramedics arrived there was still no pulse. Bonnie spent the 20-minute journey to the hospital in a separate ambulance from her husband and baby, lying alone, unaware if her son was dead or alive.

Five men eventually emerged with tears in their eyes. “They said to him: ‘Your son is alive’ and Travis understood in that moment that what they were really saying was: ‘He’s alive now but just for right now.’ The fact that they were crying meant that he knew that things were really bad

The miraculous breath had come after 61 excruciating minutes. James had breathed again at the moment doctors gave up their efforts and stopped to record his time of death.

Bonnie starts to explain to me the full extent of the miracle. “The way my doctor explained it to me was: ‘It’s amazing that James came back to life and it¹s a miracle that he is doing as well as he is.¹ Because he should have had massive organ failure and then they expected him to be very severely disabled. Then they thought that he would have very severe cerebral palsy. They thought that he would have to be strapped to a wheelchair for the rest of his life, have a feeding tube and probably be blind. They thought that mentally he would not be aware of anything. It was supposed to be pretty grim ­ and that was if he even lived.”

Bonnie was able to bring her baby home after seven weeks in hospital. “As he continued I think they gave us an increasingly better prognosis. So it went from very severely disabled to: ‘OK, so he’s going to have cerebral palsy. We just don¹t know what it will look like.’ But he continued to get better and seemed more and more like a normal baby… I mean, there was always some big question marks for about the first six to 12 months just because he was a baby, so we had to wait for him to hit his milestones to know how complete the miracle was.

“But my husband, and I and family and friends, were all at home interacting with James when he was two and a half months old, when he was five months old, and were sitting there thinking: ‘This kid is normal. He’s like any of our other babies we¹ve seen at this age. This really is a miracle.'”

Well documented, happened in 2010 involving a modern medical facility. Explain that one.

Copied from Catholic Herald but if you Google "sheen miracle" you'll get a buttload of references.

Hmmm,

When I search the medical journals, I don't find any results.

Claims are made, people testify to this or that according to their own experience and interpretation, but nothing can actually be verified or tested. The church proclaims it a 'miracle'

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DBT
Isolated incidents like that example are not enough to prove the proposition of 'miracles' - things that happen above and beyond natural causation. Unusual events are not miracles, they are simply improbable events, yet events that are within the bounds of possibility. Calling them 'miracles' does not mean they are caused by a supernatural entity.

Miracles by definition are isolated incidences or they would be naturally caused. Since it is impossible to know everything you can't PROVE a supernatural cause. Take the Wayback machine to medieval times and give a plague victim an antibiotic - it's a miracle. But the case cited (not breathing for 61 minutes, no perceptible cardiac activity, with complete recovery) is so removed from all medical knowledge it's gotta make you think...

Which explains a lot.
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by DBT

Miracles by definition are isolated incidences or they would be naturally caused. Since it is impossible to know everything you can't PROVE a supernatural cause. Take the Wayback machine to medieval times and give a plague victim an antibiotic - it's a miracle. But the case cited (not breathing for 61 minutes, no perceptible cardiac activity, with complete recovery) is so removed from all medical knowledge it's gotta make you think...

Not as removed as might first appear, after all we are talking about a new born, that just came out of fluid, and we have numerous cases of people submerged in water for long periods of time and suffering no brain damage. We know there are natural mechanism that explain this phenomenon.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
We have seen some incredible miracles and they always try to discount them. Jesus was right when he said a person could come back from the dead and they still wouldn't believe. He did and they don't.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
I agree, I dont believe God answers prayers- from unbelievers.

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
We have seen some incredible miracles and they always try to discount them. Jesus was right when he said a person could come back from the dead and they still wouldn't believe. He did and they don't.

Religious folk that believed Jesus walked on water
rose from the dead and was result of a virgin birth,

Also believed the pagan Norse raid on Lindisfarne 973
and the devastating boubonic plague were punishments
from their God.... and desperately responded with
penitential acts aimed at tempering the Lord's wrath.

Page 12 of 34 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 33 34

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

521 members (219 Wasp, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 51 invisible), 1,752 guests, and 1,176 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,102
Posts18,522,319
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.