Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
T
Tarkio Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Curious to get some info from people who have had hernia repair surgery.

Guys who are active and in decent shape are of particular interest because I would presume recoveries would be similar within activity and fitness level people.

I need to have a hernia repair. About half the time I am not aware the issue is there. 40% of the time I can feel the twinge. It is the other 10% that it is very uncomfortable.

My problem is arranging a time to get this to line up with when I can afford to be laid up.

Questions:

How long was recovery?
How long until you could do moderate pushing things around type of work?
How long before you could lift 50#s?
What type of procedure did you undergo?

I hear it may be 4-6 weeks recovery. That is really a tough one for me as I am self-employed with a couple businesses. Had livestock, etc.

Montana MOFO

T
Tarkio Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Should clarify this is an inguinal hernia.

Montana MOFO
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Had mine repaired 15+ years ago, feels bullet proof. I had a large inguinal hernia that was starting to strangulate. Not having surgery was not an option. Mine was an old fashioned 5" incision, couple of layers of surgical mesh. Sooner you get it done, the better.
Worst part of recovery was coming off the anesthesia. The pain wasn't bad at all, just the sluggish after effects of having been drugged. Sat/laid around watching movies for a couple of days, then fine after that. No heavy lifting, etc for a little while. The odd occasional twinge of pain during healing, but again not a big deal.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
I had umbilical incisional hernia repair, along with a weak area just below my sternum as the doc said, "While I'm there". He used a 4 to 5" incision alongside my navel to do it all. I now have mesh running about 2 inches below my navel to the bottom of my sternum. The hernia bulge was big. It was the result of having 3 abdominal surgeries in 11 months for 3 different cancer diagnoses. The last of those surgeries was November, 2018, had a MRSA infection, and the incision didn't close until mid-January 2019. Hernia surgery was June, 2019 and I wasn't released to lift, etc for two months. Was very sore for a few weeks. Upside though was it acted like a tummy tuck. I could get in pants I hadn't worn for 5 years.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
T
Tarkio Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
How long did they tell you no lifting?

How long before you go could and safely push equipment around, climb up on a trailer? Hop down etc?

Montana MOFO
IC B2

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
You aren’t supposed to do cshit for 6 weeks. You don’t want to push it. It will hurt some after the six weeks. Do what the doctors tell you! I’ve had two hernia surgeries. Yee Haw!!!

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
JMHO but get it done before it gets worse. It won't heal itself. When you have your consult the doc should be able to give you a good idea of how long you'll be down. His opinion is the one that counts.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've had a number of buddies who have had the inguinal hernia repair. Biggest thing post op is to avoid increasing inter abdominal pressure while you heal, and that is about 6-8 weeks. None complained about the procedure itself.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by hanco
You aren’t supposed to do cshit for 6 weeks. You don’t want to push it. It will hurt some after the six weeks. Do what the doctors tell you! I’ve had two hernia surgeries. Yee Haw!!!

Yep! 6 weeks. Got mine from pushing 3x3 hay bales off a trailer (Yeah dumb, I know).
Been several years now, but nearly good as new.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Ive had two, one at 29 and another 2 yrs ago at 66. Just try not to laugh, cough, or the worst, sneeze while re-couping !

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Just had laparoscopic surgery to remove my gall bladder & an (unobtrusive) umbilical hernia repaired at same time, as it was an entry point for the surgery.

4 incisions, 2 about 4" (belly button & under sternum) & 2 about 1/2" on right side.

Internal dissolving stitches, external s/s staples.

Surgery went well, told to not lift more than 10lbs for 6 weeks.

Month in, & I'm definitely lifting more than I should, with no pain or tearing, but not being stupid about it either.

Biggest issue for me, is that for the first time ever, I get tired really quickly. I could fall asleep at lunchtime & once home too !

I'm 53 years old, 188lb, outdoorsy, live rural, own my own business, 20 minutes from home, & currently moving between 2 houses !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by kenster99
Ive had two, one at 29 and another 2 yrs ago at 66. Just try not to laugh, cough, or the worst, sneeze while re-couping !

Ha, ha, agree. (fart, poop, blow your nose etc et al)

You'll have a new appreciation for what you use your abdominals for !!

2-3 days tops, then, only if you sneeze !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Tarkio, I understand the drawbacks of the down time, but do not mess around and end up with it strangulated. You will wish you had it taken care of from what I'm told.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I had one last year and I am very active. My Dr. said no lifting over 8lbs for 8 weeks. Most recommend no lifting for 6 weeks. I had a hard time not doing much but I didn't want to undo anything that had been done. Mine still bothers me but they say there is no problem there. Doesn't hurt, just feels like a pulled muscle or something once in awhile.

NRA Life Member

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Had mine done a couple years ago.

That first deuce is a real doozy.

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A

I went thru this procedure in March last year, it was open surgery with mesh...I have a post somewhere about it you might want to search for it.I won’t pull any punches it hurts for awhile! But I went on a spring bear hunt 6 weeks after surgery and got along good!

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I had one done laparoscopically. It never really bothered me prior to surgery so I might be an outlier. Pain was minimal, recovery was fast and nowhere near six weeks.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Twenty or more years ago. Large inguinal hernia -- didn't really hurt before, but knew to expect surgery. Mesh installed per insurance requirement, and it was around 4" or more incision. The pain afterward was acute. Had an epidural because they said just "under" and waking up puts it immediately, all at once "right there!" Had a couple days to get off narcotics before going to a light duty job. (Basically getting in and out of a towmotor was the hard part.) Six weeks is right, unless a small one or laparoscopy operation. Here's what I want to emphasize. Do NOT let anything poke the incision while you heal. My then two-year-old was bouncing on the bed and landed on mine. Jokes, sneezes and such aren't even close to what I felt.

All these years later and -- no big deal. Get it over, sir.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I had a double blow out about 25 yrs ago.
Laproscopic repair,e-z,p-z.
Had it done on a Thurs.was back to work on Mon.(Supervising) no hard lifts or any of that. Had to walk with a cane for the first couple days.
I had a few issues with the staples pricking me with certain movements.
But as mentioned,Don't over do it,and do what the Dr.says

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by kenster99
My sister had open heart surgery. She had to carry a pillow for 6 weeks. Every time she did any of the above, especially sneezing, she had to wrap her arms around it and squeeze to keep her chest from expanding. She said the worst part was an issue that doesn't apply here - she's 'well endowed' and they sewed her boobs together.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (1Longbow, 17Fan, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 69 invisible), 2,929 guests, and 1,269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,112
Posts18,483,345
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.