Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by whelennut
I don't think I would bother washing my shorts out, I would just bury them in the woods. grin
whelennut

I think the wifey did just that...grins

best,
bhtr

"You've been here longer than the State of Alaska is old!"
*** my Grandaughters

GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Bender,

I've told you this in person but will now make it public. Your site is less than 3/4 of a mile from mine. Watch yer azz!

You do know that I'll back you up anytime though, eh...

bhtr

*** my Grandaughters

B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Dennis,

You met Larry in person and (prior to that) on the phone. He was the first fella I tried to get ahold of. The Trooper "brown shirt" is a good guy that I've helped in the past...we are lucky to have these guys and are well served. S'now problemo here...

best,
bhtr

*** my Grandaughters

B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Joel,

I really, really, really feel your pain. I'll call my fedx contact and ship a couple up there for ya...grins

Matt,

I've taken a shine to the A-frames. They are wicked accurate in my winny. It will shoot close to the 22 250 some days.

As to your hypothesis on population...I'm with ya brother

best,
bhtr

*** my Grandaughters

B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B

dennisinaz
I'll bet you forgot to turn on the camera??? Am I right?

yes... blush

bhtr

*** my Grandaughters

IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by las
Gol-dang, Bearhunter - don't you know there are only 350 to 400 brown bears on the whole Kenai Peninsula? What are you doing hoggin' all them bears to your self. Shame on you!

Want some deck bears? smile

Las,

I fear for you, man. There are several more deck bears headed your way. That's the part I'm most furious about. The teenagers will probably get into trouble down about where you live...or a boar will get them. They are old enough to make it on their own but might have some bad habits gleaned from momma.

Watch your backside...

best,
bhtr

ps. I thought it was 250 to 300????

*** my Grandaughters

Elf Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just reading your account of the day made my heart beat a bit faster...WOW

Nice to have you here telling us about it. Seems you and las seem to be having a Beary interesting spring. whistle

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Every once in awhile a guy gets an experience that reminds him how good it is to be alive and in one piece!

The fewest rounds I ever have on me is around 15 for sheep hunting. I've had folks raise their eyebrows about that and for the most part I'd have to agree with them that I'm hauling needless weight around.

Still I've had to witness a bou finished off with a hatchet, I'd sure hate to try that trick on a bear.

glad you're okay bearhuntr, the name seems to fit even better now. (grin)

"This ain't dress rehearsal....it's the life you get to live, make it a good one."

TEAMWORK = a bunch of people doing what I say
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
You do know that I'll back you up anytime though, eh...

I know how far apart our spots are crazy and am quite aware of your attitude and willingness, and will say it's a comforting thought.

Randy almost had it right about your name! I should PM rick and make a special request for a screen name change for you..........to Bearhuntd laugh

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
grin

bhtr

*** my Grandaughters

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bearhuntr
Dennis,

You met Larry in person and (prior to that) on the phone. He was the first fella I tried to get ahold of. The Trooper "brown shirt" is a good guy that I've helped in the past...we are lucky to have these guys and are well served. S'now problemo here...

best,
bhtr

I suspected everything would be OK...but you never know. I'm guessing the teeth marks on the stand, the witnesses's accounts, and the rest of the party hanging around, sorta clinched the deal laugh.

I've never had one that close, trying to bite me or otherwise. I'm fairly certain that when they do get that close, there is only one appropriate reponse grin.

You heard anything from George on the other deal? I've been out of the loop, travelling, and haven't talked with him for a while.

DN

"The more you run over a dead cat, the flatter it gets."

"If you're asking me something technical, you may be looking for My Other Brother Darrell."

"It ain't foot-pounds that kills stuff -- it's broken body parts."
L
las Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I saw in the paper today where the reporter said you were using "large bait" (donuts), and Larry recommended using smaller bait.

I have this lovely mental image at about 10 feet of one of my deck bears stretched out flat on his belly, his head shoved as far through the gate pickets as he could get it, tongue lapped out about 8 inches to get that very last sunflower seed.........

I shoulda cracked that glass door enough to get the camera out!

If you guys are where I think you are, your bait site is only about 8-10 miles - an evening's stroll for a bear. Those could even have been the same bears as on my deck, and in my yard, heading out to make the most of moose calving.

I expect those cubs will make their way back down to the river when the fish start showing in a few weeks, and likely make a nuisance of themselves.

Too bad about Mom - bad decision, on her part, but what's a guy to do?

You see Ward's letter in the paper today? He was a jerk long before he got fired from State Parks.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Bearhuntr, Just read the story tonight. Sounds exciting, wish i was there. I was a little confused about the small bait comment. When the cubs came in the first time they where shoving food down so fast one of them choked it up. Mabey thats what he meant, we dont want to gag a bear. Mark, we really need to go to Homer this week. I was drawn for a free halibut trip on friday the 31st but gave it away so we could go bear hunting sometime during the week.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Wow, great story!

B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by gregp108
Bearhuntr, Just read the story tonight. Sounds exciting, wish i was there.

I thought YOU WERE my huckleberry that night...grins

bhtr

*** my Grandaughters

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
I think you guys just made up the whole thing - dirty undies and all! laugh

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
It's all true bender. I wish I had my video camera with me. We had originally wanted to film a bow scene but that never worked out. I left the camera at home that day because I was going to shoot. The part I would have liked others to see was just how fast a fat momma brown bear can move, an silently I might add. She went from 15 feet away from the stand to 14 feet up the tree in a little over one second. If you count one onethousand one, Thats when she would be in the tree. Amazing huh? Huntr was sitting down and had time to stand up quickly and that was it. she was at the stand before his barrel was pointed down. It makes a guy wonder how he would ever stand a chance if man and bear where on the ground at the same time with the bear getting first sight.
I read the letter in todays paper written by Walt Ward. I hope to bait, study and choose just the right bear to harvest. No cubs, no sows, You know all the things that a bait station allows a true hunter to accomplish. Then when I shoot it I am going to name it my Walter bear.
Hunters can study and choose the correct bear to harvest kinda of like shoppers can choose to shop or not shop at the store of there choice. Thats what I'm going to do.

L
las Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I'm with Mike. You guys are making it up. Everyone knows adult brown bears can't climb trees.

On the other hand, I've never seen anything about their jumping ability. smile

I have seen a couple examples of quick, however. One was a BIG bear we were watching flip rocks, one pawed, up on a hillside, several decades ago near Fox Creek on the Resurrection Trail. Suddenly her head popped up, and in nothing flat she dove into a patch of hemlocks some distance off, only to reappear with a set of cubs.

Later that afternoon we went up there - we estimated she'd covered over 100 yards in less than 4 seconds. Some of those rocks she was casually flipping for voles or pikas (we think) weighed a good 300 pounds. It took 3 of us to lift them, and not easily.

L
las Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I'm with Mike. You guys are making it up. Everyone knows adult brown bears can't climb trees.

I guess they can jump pretty good, though. smile

I have seen a couple examples of quick. One was a BIG bear we were watching flip rocks, one pawed, up on a hillside, several decades ago near Fox Creek on the Resurrection Trail. Suddenly her head popped up, and in nothing flat she dove into a patch of hemlocks some distance off, only to reappear with a set of cubs.

Later that afternoon we went up there - we estimated she'd covered over 100 yards in less than 4 seconds. Some of those rocks she was casually flipping for voles or pikas (we think) weighed a good 300 pounds. It took 3 of us to lift them, and not easily.

I wonder just how big a pile in the shorts Walt thinks it takes to make it "sporting".

(Answer: he is an "environmentalist", has probably never shot a bear, has certainly never tried hunting them in thick coniferous forest, nor has he, like me, ever run a bait station. I, at least, know how much work it must be, having slopped a few hogs, and regularly hunting moose back in.

You master-baiter guys just have at it- I don't want a bear that bad - I generally take mine incidentally to floating a river, or up caribou hunting in the alpine country. At least I can see what's coming at me a little quicker! smile smile

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm with you las, I laugh at people that say baiting is too easy.

I'm inclined to think it's too much work. Spot and stalk works for me, but I'm not crazy about bear meat so rarely hunt them.

"This ain't dress rehearsal....it's the life you get to live, make it a good one."

TEAMWORK = a bunch of people doing what I say
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

551 members (219 Wasp, 1234, 160user, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 1Akshooter, 58 invisible), 2,436 guests, and 1,212 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,460
Posts18,489,808
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.