-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have no idea, I didn't check it out, but as I said, there were more than 1 pieces of land with attractive prices up there.

I got the impression that the land was so remote, you weren't going to be able to do anything on it except hunt

I was probably more interested in seeing it until my wife and I walked about 200 yards from the lake we were at and were covered in mosquitoes.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Last edited by KFWA; 01/17/20.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Stay clear of property that has "outs", where small tracts were sold off from the main parcel. The folks that bought the small tracts most likely stray into the larger tract. A parcel with nice clean property lines should be at the top of your list of what you are looking for. Trespassing and road hunters is something you need to give some consideration to.

Good luck with your quest.

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG
Originally Posted by UPhiker
Nah, that's the Keweenaw Peninsula way to the west. South of the Soo never had any mining, just lumbering.

Weren't they considering doing some surface mining over by Rudyard a few years ago?

I knew about near Marquette but I haven't heard about anything in the eastern UP, but I could be wrong. The western UP is an entirely different geological formation than the east. Marquette and west is granite while east of there is sandstone.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
AJ300MAG is correct about the Thumb. I would not recommend the Thumb unless you want to spend more time waterfowling than deer hunting. Big bucks are taken in southern Michigan too, but mostly on private land.

Eastern UP has lots of limestone....Niagara escarpment. Locals will tell you that the wolves eat all the deer. But the fact is that bad winters knock the deer numbers down except where they are fed all winter( a practice which will be prohibited to control CWD.) Deep snow, cold temperatures, late springs kill off malnourished YOY deer. There are deer in the Pickford area but they migrate south when the snow starts to fly, frequently before the 11/15 opener. If you can find property across the migration routes between the old lake plain around Pickford and the cedar "swamps" down by Lake Huron/Les Cheneaux you might have decent reliable hunting. Eastern UP Property values took a beating in 2007-2008 and there have been a fair number of hunting camps for sale at good prices as boomers age out/die off.

Western UP agricultural areas ?North of Menominee have so many deer that crop damage control permits are available in large numbers. Hunting access might be like the Thumb though.

Cadillac area is as described, but the poster did not note that it is also a Quality Deer Management area with antler restrictions; minimum 4 points on one side. Over the past 6-7 years I did not see any but spike bucks, none of those 8-12 pointers that QDM promised. The only deer we shot on a leased farm in the Manton area were does. Some say the Amish in the area keep the numbers down.

There is a lot of neat country in the UP and northern lower. I like the NW part of Emmet county near Lake Michigan, but tribal hunters work that area before 11/15. Check out Drummond Island...there are deer and bear there. DNR wildlife biologists in Newberry and the Sault might help you understand eastern UP deer population locations and dynamics.

Last edited by Aagaardsporter; 01/17/20. Reason: add
IC B2

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
WOW Aagaardsporter!

What an answer! Many thanks for the effort to share what you know. That is Whole lot of information that is invaluable!
Will the DNR share information that helps potential land purchasers that want to hunt? Never even considered that as a source of research.

I actually want to take this opportunity to thank the entire campfire community. Such helpful and knowledgeable people (interspersed with silly bored cabin fevered old men commentary and photo posting)

Again thank you!
BD

Better not to take the shot, than to screw it up.

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by woods_walker
Stay clear of property that has "outs", where small tracts were sold off from the main parcel. The folks that bought the small tracts most likely stray into the larger tract. A parcel with nice clean property lines should be at the top of your list of what you are looking for. Trespassing and road hunters is something you need to give some consideration to.

Good luck with your quest.

Thank you!

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Nice 100 acres a bit west of Alpena? (halfway to Hillman)

Anyone know that area?

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

86 members (6MMWASP, 260Remguy, 257_X_50, 450yukon, 79S, 300_savage, 12 invisible), 1,632 guests, and 936 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,757
Posts18,476,385
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.