Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
T
T_O_M Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Is anyone making a factory .17 Remington anymore?

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I think CZ does....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Best that I can tell is CZ makes the 527 in the .17 Hornet.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
T
T_O_M Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Yeah, I can't find the .17 Remington on their site even though it is listed in their filters. Might be "build" time. Or contender barrel time.

Here be dragons ...
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Look on Gunbroker or Gunsinternational for a .17 Rem.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
BUILD! BUILD! BUILD! BUILD!

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by deflave

Flave..I dunno if you've been keeping up..but I know you like the .17 for fur...

I got one and shot a bunch of critters with it...the MOST fur friendly rifle Ive ever used.

WHY DIDN"T YOU TELL ME ABOUT IT EARLIER?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
T
T_O_M Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T

Greetings, you ol' enabler, you. smile Yes. I ordered a 700 VS in .223 this morning. Before I order a .17 barrel, I'll shoot the .223 a bit to see if I like that stock or if I want to return to the LVSF stock, thus which barrel contour I want, varmint vs factory magnum. Years back I had one built with a 24" #8 contour. That was too heavy .. but you never know 'til you try.

Tom

Here be dragons ...
K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by ingwe

Flave..I dunno if you've been keeping up..but I know you like the .17 for fur...

I got one and shot a bunch of critters with it...the MOST fur friendly rifle Ive ever used.

I like what you did with that one ingwe. Very nice looking setup.
I imagine you listed it and of course I've forgotten, but what load did you decide on?

S
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
S
Buds lists the CZ527 Varmint on their website in 17 Remington. Buds item #3348, $741 retail

IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by K22

I like what you did with that one ingwe. Very nice looking setup.
I imagine you listed it and of course I've forgotten, but what load did you decide on?

I used a light load with a 20 grain Vmax of 18.4 gr. of IMR4198..going about 3650 fps. I figured that might stay in a target as small as a grey fox....and it did.
Were I to hunt strictly coyotes with it up here in Montana I.d probably go with the 25 Gr. Vmax at about 4,000....I just loaded some of them up for an upcoming javelina hunt.

K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
I can see how that load works on Greys, it's close to the 17 Hornet setup. I'm thinking the 25gr. Vmax will disappoint you. Could be wrong, but I don't think so.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Two very nice 700 BDL .17 Rem have been listed and sold on accurateshooter in the past week. Very nice rifles, both sold for $800 or less.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
T
T_O_M Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I'm building. I ordered a 700 VS in .223 a few days ago. I haven't messed with the current VS stocks. Had some VSSFs in the past. They were a bit wide and one had palm swells I didn't like. I'll shoot this gun as a .223 for a bit to evaluate that factory stock. From there, I'll decide if I'm going to keep it and order a varmint contour barrel or if I'm going to use the LVSF stock and order a factory magnum contour barrel. Shooting it as a .223 will give me a chance to use up some pointy .22 hornet bullets which will do fine in the 1-12" twist but don't seem to survive the AR's 1-8" twist. Checks off a lot of agenda items for me.

Tom

Here be dragons ...
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Does a 17 Rem need a varmint contour barrel if shooting in field varmint shoots.. like ground squirrels?

I was thinking of ordering one from ER Shaw...it would go on a Ruger 77 Mk 2 action in 223...

and what kind of barrel length would one need to get the most out of the cartridge.. could one get by with a 20 or 22, and not give up much, or would one need to consider a 24 inch barrel instead?

I am leaning toward a heavy magnum contour, like you'd find on a 458.. except its smaller contour than a varmint rifle so I find it more enjoyable carrying it afield...have a couple of rifles in smaller calibers, using that heavy magnum contour..

my favorite being a 28 inch barrel on a Model 70 for a 22.250 chambering...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
If I was going to use a 17 Rem for colony shooting something along the barrel weight of the Kimber Varmint would be ideal to me. A 24 or 26 barrel would be my chosen length. ER Shaw would be a good choice, but you may want consider Green Mountain Barrels also. They are the barrel maker who makes the barrels for the Fieldcraft rifles.
Me personally I would lean very heavily towards Lilja for a 17 Rem or 20 caliber barrel. 22 caliber on up I would chose the one with the quickest turn around time. grin

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Seafire
Does a 17 Rem need a varmint contour barrel if shooting in field varmint shoots.. like ground squirrels?

I was thinking of ordering one from ER Shaw...it would go on a Ruger 77 Mk 2 action in 223...

and what kind of barrel length would one need to get the most out of the cartridge.. could one get by with a 20 or 22, and not give up much, or would one need to consider a 24 inch barrel instead?

I am leaning toward a heavy magnum contour, like you'd find on a 458.. except its smaller contour than a varmint rifle so I find it more enjoyable carrying it afield...have a couple of rifles in smaller calibers, using that heavy magnum contour..

my favorite being a 28 inch barrel on a Model 70 for a 22.250 chambering...

John I'd say you are barking up the right tree..I'm already biased with my .17 but Id say the mag contour barrel, fluted and 22 inches long is just about ideal. Because of the speed even with light loads the gun is gonna heat up FAST so I'd flute it for sure....and even then, pace yourself...Im anxious to see how long the barrel lasts, though I dont plan on using mine for colony varmints, just predators.
I've got the same contour/fluted thing in a .222 for colony varmints and unless the action is REALLY fast...you can shoot for a LONG time without overheating that one.

K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
I'm glad you brought that up ingwe. 22" is what mine are and that is as long as I like.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by K22
I'm glad you brought that up ingwe. 22" is what mine are and that is as long as I like.

Yeah..Im pretty sure it'll burn all the powder in that little case, and the shorter length like 22"is nice to handle in and out of a vehicle or box stand..

On the killing fields...

Last edited by ingwe; 01/22/20.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

I did! You were still hung up on the .204 or some other POS!

.17 Rem is the greatest predator/varmint round ever.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

663 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 007FJ, 16penny, 70 invisible), 3,292 guests, and 1,322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,484
Posts18,471,837
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.