Print Thread
Hop To
B
Beaudry Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Anyone have any experience with one? Fairly scarce reviews just thought I would check.

Thanks

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
From what I've been able to gather, there's nothing earth shattering about them. FWIW, I think Bergara missed the boat by not bringing a 10/22 clone to market with a last-shot bolt lack back feature that didn't require proprietary mags. T/C (S&W) has the TRR22, but it requires their mags to allow that last-shot lock back function to function. Spare mags seem to be uobtainium from what I gather.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I ordered one recently, but haven't gotten it yet. I will post about it here when I get the chance to shoot it some.
I made up my mind when I calculated the costs of what I wanted to do with a 10/22 build and realized that the bxr got me nearly there parts wise, but for cheaper overall. I'm optimistic.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

I have one. I really like it. I did have feeding issues first two trips to the range. The next trip, I brought a 30 year old 10/22 magazine and it fed flawlessly. I think it's a pretty good value compared to the Ruger 10/22 Competition. I really wanted one of those but not for $700. Bergara is same concept and looks but $200 cheaper.

Scott
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have two of the carbon steel barreled versions and have put quite a few rounds through one of them. I swapped out the factory trigger group for a two-stage from Kidd and added an adjustable cheek riser. In bone stock form it shot well. For example, here's one of the first 10-shot groups at 50 yards shooting SK Match ammuntion. I have a brick of SK Long Range Match showing up on Monday since I primarily want to shoot at 200 yards with this thing.

The BXR has a threaded barrel but it's backwards compatible with standard 10/22 v-block type barrels. I don't see myself swapping this barrel out but it's an option for those that want to do that. Overall I think it's a solid product for the money and certainly a lot of fun when ringing steel at 200 yards.

[Linked Image from thr.mcmxi.org]

Here's the rifle in its current form.

Offering FFL 07 & SOT services in NW Montana
[email protected]
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Here's a 10-shot group at 100 yards shooting CCI standard velocity ammunition. I don't know what happened with the one shot low and left. This was after I installed the Kidd trigger (I think) but before I added the cheek riser.

[email protected]
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Just saw one of these today. Been going back and forth with it or a magnum research

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I really like my BXR carbon. The action runs really smoothly, I enjoy the ergonomics and feel of the stock, and the fit/finish is great. The trigger is perhaps the weakest link, but that being said it is smooth and predictable and a lot better than any other semi-auto .22 factory trigger I've used.
I threw a VX-2 on mine and have only run cheaper ammo (remington and winchester bricks) so far, but I have had no issues getting 1 inch, 10 shot groups with mine at 50yards.
I have had issues with the magazine it came with not feeding well, But all my ruger mags have run flawlessly.
Like MCMXI said, ringing steel at 200 is easy and fun with this .22

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
A local shop I visited today had one each of the BXRs. The carbon fiber wrapped barrel caught my eye. I have enough heavy barrel 10/22s and I could shorten the Bergara stock so it would fit my 5’ wife.

I looked at the Bergara website, seems these have a Bentz chamber and they warn that you might have function problems unless you use match ammo. I’m hopeful one would at least function with standard ammo, several of my other 22s shoot very well with CCI Blazer and I have a good bit of it.

"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere, than in any city on earth" ... Steve McQueen
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I bought one today and was wondering if anyone has glass bedded the stock to the action. Mine has a little bit of stress when tightening and releasing the action screw.

Would you just bed around the action screw or also at the rear tang?

Thanks in advance for any help.

"Giving freaks a pass is the oldest tradition in Montana."
Thomas McGuane
IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by WiFowler
From what I've been able to gather, there's nothing earth shattering about them. FWIW, I think Bergara missed the boat by not bringing a 10/22 clone to market with a last-shot bolt lack back feature that didn't require proprietary mags. T/C (S&W) has the TRR22, but it requires their mags to allow that last-shot lock back function to function. Spare mags seem to be uobtainium from what I gather.

Not certain at all, but isn't the hold-open device part of the magazine itself? If so, a Ruger magazine, lacking such an addition, wouldn't work correctly to hold open the bolt, regardless.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
MCMXI - what scope is that you have on there?

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
It's a Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50mm front focal model, mil/mil.

[email protected]

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

637 members (007FJ, 1minute, 1936M71, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1234, 64 invisible), 2,877 guests, and 1,284 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,371
Posts18,469,186
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.