Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Which would you choose between these TWO? I'm asking on the gunsmith forum also. Capt david

"It's not how hard you hit 'em, it's where you hit 'em." The 30-06 will, with the right bullet, successfully take any game animal in North America up to 300yds.

If you are a hunter, and farther than that, get closer!
HR IC

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Decelerator...

Mark D

Last edited by Mark R Dobrenski; 05/22/07.

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
I've used Pachmyr historically but did install a limbsavr on my Ruger #1 416 rigby and like it much more than the pachmyr. I looked at the Kick-eez but didn't buy - the limbsaver seemed better made IMO....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
Decelerator...

Mark D

If a choice is available...+1

"Doing right isn't always easy but it is always right."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Might depend on what you are putting it on. I have a Kick Eez on my Win 95 405 and it works well. However, the Decelerator might work better.

Some friends have Limbsaver Pads on mild kickers like 300 Win and like them. I tried a little experiment with my 416 Rigby. I took the factory Decelerator off and securely taped a Limbsaver pad on, then touched it off. Ouch!! The Limbsaver pad apparently bottomed out well before recoil was complete. I then quickly taped the Decelerator back on and touched another one off. It felt more like a big push.

Yes, I know this is very unscientific and highly subjective, but for my shoulder the Decelerator is the way to go.

405wcf

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Out of the 2 listed....Limbsaver for sure.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

WGM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
another vote here for the Decelerator ...

-WGM-
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Limb Saver.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would vote against Kick Eeze, they are too soft and crumble around the edges. It doesn't take long for them to start looking pretty sorry.
I replaced them with Decellarators because It looked to me like the LimbSaver pad would be just as fragile as the Kick-Eeze...........DJ

Remember this is all supposed to be for fun.......................
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Limbsaver

IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I've got Limbsavers on all my rifles. Whether a 416 or not, my 300 RUM does kick a bit with 200gr. pills and the Limbsavers help alot more than the ole' facotry pads did.

Lots of shooters/hunters I know feel that they are well worth the $ and the little bit of work to change out their older pads.

Several good pads out there nowadays and even some good pads on commercial rifles. It's more of a candy store than it use to be.

Good luck.

Last edited by magnumb; 05/22/07.
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Limbsaver on 35 Whelen. Having had shoulder surgery, I like it lots.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I have 2 Kick Eez pads installed and IMO they are junk. They have deformed and started to separate from the base.
I also have 2 Rems R3 pads that I believe are made by Limb Saver.They are less than 1 year old and so far so good, but if I had to pay for an installed pad I would definitly go for the Decelerator.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by HUNTS
Limb Saver.

yep

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
well you asked about the kick eez - had one and give the edge to the limbsaver. Also have a decellerator and like it best. Seems higher quality. The Limbsaver gets kind of gummy and picks up all sorts of lint and dirt. The decellerator is a more attractive pad and a very good recoil reducer. One other that interests me is the Hi-Viz pad. Seen them but not tried one, though next time out I will take a closer look. Anyone used one of these?

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Decelerator... I've installed both on many customers' rifles. The most favorable feedback has been on the decel...

Only thing you have to watch out for is the metal plate inside. You MUST obtain the correct pad to start with or the installer may grind through to the plate and ruin the pad...

Of the two, the decel. is the easiest to install also... It does not require lubrication to grind down to fit. The mess created by the LS is a nightmare to clean up...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Redneck
Decelerator... I've installed both on many customers' rifles. The most favorable feedback has been on the decel...

Only thing you have to watch out for is the metal plate inside. You MUST obtain the correct pad to start with or the installer may grind through to the plate and ruin the pad...

Of the two, the decel. is the easiest to install also... It does not require lubrication to grind down to fit. The mess created by the LS is a nightmare to clean up...

I agree with Redneck, but I can perhaps add one thing...

You can remove the steel backing plate from Pachymayr (sp?) pads and I've done so when gluing one on to a lightweight synthetic stock -- the owner wanted to keep it light!

Just fire up the belt sander, then start sanding on the back of the pad until you reach the steel (the sparks will let you know when you are there!).

Grab the steel plate with some dykes, then rip it out.

Sand the back of the (now thinner) pad until it is flat.

Epoxy on to your synthetic stock, shape as usual, and you are good to go, and have saved a bit of weight.

I forget how much the steel plate weighed, but I do recall that it was more than I expected. Still, this only worthwhile if you are really trying to save ounces!

I don't think this would work for pads that are not glued on though -- the steel is there to keep the pad from warping with temperature changes (or so I have been told -- seems possible anyway).

John

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Gotta go with the limbsaver versus the decellerator. I have both. I don't recall my gunsmith saying he had any problems with the limbsaver which is contrary to what has been said about them.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I like the limbsaver on my .416 Rigby and have bought a couple more.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I like the Limb Saver installed on my Ruger .338

><}}> "A Government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take away everything you have" Thomas Jefferson <{{><
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

591 members (1lessdog, 1minute, 2500HD, 160user, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 65 invisible), 2,362 guests, and 1,266 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,184
Posts18,503,329
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.