Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I saw it last night. Worth paying full price on the big screen, if only to better see all the cool period military stuff these guys are wearing and carrying.

FINALLY too we get to see the Enfield in all its glory as a primary infantry weapon in combat cool Nice to see it cocked too when it’s supposed to be in the scene.

For me it was a treat too to hear all the different regional English accents of my childhood , tho just like in “Ford vs Ferrari” at one point they throw in the term “wanker” which I believe only appeared over the last 50 years, never heard it as a kid ( or else I woulda used it 🙂).

“April 1917”? I’ll cut em some slack but clearly judging by the flowers and trees it weren’t always April when the movie was shot.

Finally the bird calls. I can’t hear a bird call without putting it in context of time and place anymore than I can look at a word without reading it. They were doing good most of the movie until that common loon howl in the German trench scene 🙄

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
GB1

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Been wanting to see it, but my son does to who is 11. You think that's too young?

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by killerv
Been wanting to see it, but my son does to who is 11. You think that's too young?

Dunno, your call.

Some bad language, but not all that much, some gory wounds, the abundance of rotten corpses in various states of decay might possibly upset him.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Saw it last night. Special screening. All I can say is WOW! I have no idea how they did that continuous filming, but it is simply astounding. There are only two scenes, really. Each one over an hour with no cuts, no camera angle changes, broken only by a brief black screen when the character was unconscious.

Ditto the kudos for correct equipment and usage. I'm no expert but everything seemed spot on to me. There is some CGI, naturally, but it's seamless and not at all obvious. Mostly in the background, as with biplanes flying in the distance. Truly an award-winning performance by the two main characters.

The dialog and emotions portrayed also vividly and accurately depict the mind's acuteness versus numbness that happens in real battle. It's an extremely good movie.

Don't miss it. On the big screen.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
It’s finally playing here. Will see it this weekend.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by 1minute
There as some films that just can't be viewed on small screens. Out of Africa comes to mind.

Pull your chair right up to your wide screen. Same same.

You’re smart enough to know that’s bullshit. Or, just TIC?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Seafire
Looking forward to it, but it isn't playing yet in Whoville Oregon yet.......

I did see Richard Jewell which is a good movie, that will have you leaving the theatre mad at the Lame Stream Media
and a Corrupt FBI

You will forever have that feeling after seeing this movie... and know that Clint has no love for either

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by killerv

It’s perfectly fine for a kid that age.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The bride and I went to see 1917 over the weekend.

It was awesome!

Black Cows Matter!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The wife and I went last night.
Great movie. I really liked the cinematography; the single shot feel was outstanding.
The crowds have fallen off (if they were ever there). Maybe 30 people in the theater; I doubt there was anyone under 60.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I talked about it on another thread

the camera never leaving the men delivering the message is unique and I really enjoyed it.

Last edited by KFWA; 01/15/20.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by NVhntr
Great movie. I really liked the cinematography; the single shot feel was outstanding.
The crowds have fallen off (if they were ever there). Maybe 30 people in the theater; I doubt there was anyone under 60.

We went to the 11am and it was pretty jammed for a showing that early.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

The woman and I went yesterday to the 110 showing, it was so packed in the place that we left and went back to the 410 showing.

I really enjoyed it, Def one to see on the big screen.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

It was nearly full when we went last Saturday.

Loved the way it was filmed.

Black Cows Matter!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I’ll probably go to the theater to see this one soon. As much as I hate going to the theater, “Saving Private Ryan” was great on the big screen.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
the visuals were amazing. the plot, and the film overall, died with one of the main characters.

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
X
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
X
Originally Posted by n8dawg6
the visuals were amazing. the plot, and the film overall, died with one of the main characters.

Just got done watching it. Have to admit I was not terribly impressed, felt it left alot to be desired. The visuals were fine, sometimes excellent, but otherwise nothing really stood out.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
I went yesterday. It moved too slow. It had good camera work, but the storyline didn't have enough for a 2 hour movie.

A lot of time with the woman and the baby,...a lot of time in the convoy,....a lot of time snooping around in the deserted German trenches,..

The whole story could have been told in 20 minutes.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This x 1,000

Originally Posted by local_dirt
I won't ruin the storyline for everybody. But, that continuous stream shooting and the cinematography are incredible.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Those that didn't like it, I have to wonder, what the hell were they expecting it to be?

It was a good movie, and the reason I think so, it was just a story that needed to be told...

too many people buy into our society, where Movies like Star Wars, or other Movies of that type have so much drama and action from the very start, on things that could never happen.. they have become anesthetized to a start forward honest story..

Sure the 1917 had things in it, that are a little strange, but it added to a story..
Like not shooting the pilot of the downed Luftwaffe Albatross fighter... or the bucket of milk just sitting there but fresh, without a soul in sight...there were a bunch of them...

it was a human interest story that took place in a war zone front...not a bang bang combat shootem up movie...

not every movie can be Rambo or Star Wars....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

494 members (17CalFan, 1beaver_shooter, 19rabbit52, 10gaugemag, 1Longbow, 01Foreman400, 50 invisible), 2,290 guests, and 1,205 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,506
Posts18,472,309
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.