-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice. Been thinking about roasting a duck, would have to be domestic this year. Which ain't all bad but definitely not the same. May even go for oyster dressing but they come in frozen and are priced high for even fresh oysters. One of the (very few) things I miss about the east coast.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
GB1

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Having trouble finding spots that will let me get on the big ducks without needing a boat, but there’s more woodies around than this time last year, and occasionally another species will visit my woodie holes.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Had a good day two weeks ago, groups flying until 10am. Mallards, Woddies, Gadwall, Teal. Went to the same river spot this morning and ... Saw 2 waaay off just after shooting time, then crickets. Went scouting new spots after pulling up the deke's. Dog was bored. #1 son slept in, didn't want to get up at 4:30. He was the smart one today.

"Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, and more money." -Tom T Hall

Molon Labe
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Goldeneyes are starting to show up on the river now!

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Been slow on Currituck Sound so far (four hunters bag here from last Tuesday morning).

Last edited by Odessa; 12/22/19.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Had a good mixed bag in central Texas this morning. It’s so dry I was setup on waters edge, 30 yards to the nearest cover. Makeshift blind out of some weeds and some fog was good enough.

Mallard, gadwall, teal, and the first merganser of my life.

Got a good recipe for merganser?😂

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Merganser recipe:

Soak cedar shingle in water....cook duck on shingle in the BBQ. When done, throw the duck away and eat the shingle. YUM.
I’ve known really good duck dogs that won’t retrieve mergansers. Can’t say I blame them.

Brad
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Let’s Go Brandon
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Got excited and flubbed on a group of ringnecks at first light this morning. Then got a pair out of a flock of teal about 30 minutes later. No dog, so got to go swimming to get one of them. Luckily central Texas is 70 degrees this morning.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
First two days hunting a small piece of property I bought. Creek is currently flooded into the alfalfa and the ducks approve.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/galleries/14411320#Post14411320

"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"- Michael Scott
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Gators are back out here in force and the high temps just sucks period.

During the little cold snap we worked on them pretty good Coastal SC, killing mostly Blacks, Mottleds, Teal and divers.

After a double limit first season I went back two days later to the same spot with my new Chessie hoping for more of the same. Temp read 36* on the truck when I put in. At 0715 an 11' gator swam into the spread.. Pisses me off that our state won't put more drawings in the lottery pot as we are over freaking run with them. It takes like four years to get drawn and they are literally sliding off the banks like cock roaches.

I swear its like I every where I go the state and fed agencies are trying to save everything but the American Hunter and his quarry.

Lowcountry Wildlife Management
Knowing Wildlife Beyond Science
[email protected]
Genesis 9;2
IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Strick9

During the little cold snap we worked on them pretty good Coastal SC, killing mostly Blacks, Mottleds, Teal and divers.

After a double limit first season I went back two days later to the same spot with my new Chessie hoping for more of the same. Temp read 36* on the truck when I put in. At 0715 an 11' gator swam into the spread.. Pisses me off that our state won't put more drawings in the lottery pot as we are over freaking run with them. It takes like four years to get drawn and they are literally sliding off the banks like cock roaches.

I swear its like I every where I go the state and fed agencies are trying to save everything but the American Hunter and his quarry.

How can you hunt with a dog with gators around? that sucks

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Gators are back out here in force and the high temps just sucks period.....I swear its like I every where I go the state and fed agencies are trying to save everything but the American Hunter and his quarry.

I believe that much of the protection given to certain species (wolves, gators) is specifically oriented to aggravate and discouraging hunting - being done by those who believe humans are encroaching on the natural world (seems to be most of the employees of federal agencies).

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
all my areas are froze up. haven't heard a quack in a week. sucks.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ribka

How can you hunt with a dog with gators around? that sucks

IF the water temp is in the 60s and the air temp is below 70 then you are usually good but I still stick to the big water bays etc. IF its more than that I either don't hunt my dog or don't go at all.

We are litterally covered up with them. It sucks and the alligator hunt draw chances have gone from every year you drew to know one out of four years. Its ridiculous.

Odessa, much agreed. I guarantee it.

Lowcountry Wildlife Management
Knowing Wildlife Beyond Science
[email protected]
Genesis 9;2
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Not seeing much besides woodies and hoodies but that’s to be expected in a lot of the areas I hunt in ENC. Don’t have a boat or a lab, just a kayak and a Boykin so we stick to small water. Missed 2 this morning, went home with nothing. Hoping to get in maybe 3 more good hunts before the season is over.

Last edited by JJWise; 01/11/20.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Got a good recipe for merganser

I thought the fine for shooting a merganser was that one HAD to eat it.

We once kept a variety pack of duck labeled and sorted all the way to the plate. Even had a background coot in the mix. Among 4 consumers, the universally negative comment centered on a green wing teal.

Looks like a good time there,

Last edited by 1minute; 01/11/20.

1Minute
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Real slow here last two days. Valley received a lot of rain and the ducks have left the river for flooded fields.
Missed a passing shot on Taverners Canada geese, which earned me the requisite doggie stinkeye

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 1minute
Got a good recipe for merganser

I thought the fine for shooting a merganser was that one HAD to eat it.

We once kept a variety pack of duck labeled and sorted all the way to the plate. Even had a background coot in the mix. Among 4 consumers, the universally negative comment centered on a green wing teal.

Looks like a good time there,

I never had a GW Teal that wasn't tasty!

It has been slow most of the season, with some days of pretty good. Mostly, Gadwell...
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Official member of "The Clan of Turd-like People"

[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JJWise
Not seeing much besides woodies and hoodies but that’s to be expected in a lot of the areas I hunt in ENC. Don’t have a boat or a lab, just a kayak and a Boykin so we stick to small water. Missed 2 this morning, went home with nothing. Hoping to get in maybe 3 more good hunts before the season is over.

I sure like the Boykins...

Official member of "The Clan of Turd-like People"

[Linked Image]
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
[Linked Image]
My season ended on Dec 15th but this was the last morning.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

529 members (1moredeer, 1beaver_shooter, 01Foreman400, 219 Wasp, 1minute, 1OntarioJim, 62 invisible), 2,602 guests, and 1,369 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,450
Posts18,471,039
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.