Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by TX35W
But these days you can carry an M69 in 44 mag for the exact same weight and, even with mild loads, way more killing power. .429 bullets just seem to kill chit more reliably than anything in the .357 range. Sold my 686...currently only have k-frames and M69's.

Me too. Only L-Frame I have left is the Model 69 in .44 mag.

No need for a L-Frame in .357 when you can have a .44 Bore

I prefer the K-frame in .357 and the old Ruger Security Six.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
S&W model 19 is possibly the finest carry revolver there is, portable,packable, and finer shooting characteristics due to the shorter action than the larger L&N frame revolvers.
I have always had a 4" for packing hunting and a 2 1/2" for carry.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
EE, first I have to say I do like that knife in your picture. What is it. I may need one. Imagine that, and I never knew it.

I have to agree with your list. I'm more of a Ruger guy over the years, but I still have a 686plus 3" like Shrapnel used to show in pictures. What a fine gun.

I don't see how a guy could find a better carrying gun than the Six Series Rugers. I have a pretty good mixture of the Security Sixes, Speed Sixes and a couple of Service sixes. The fixed sight guns typically are house guns, and just general use. After all these years I can't decide if the 4" or the 2-3/4" barrels are my favorites.

How can some one not like the 19's and the 66's? I love the 3"ers but feelings for them are way too strong, to justify over the 2-1/2" guns. How can 1/2" make that much difference. They both look good, a guy just has to have both.

I've had 38's and 44 specials in Taurus, but never a 357 mag. I'm not sure why, the others that I've had have certainly been exemplary guns. I've had at least one 44 of one kind or another for years. How can you not? The 3" 431 is a wonderful gun and very handy

Charter Arms guns I've had a couple of 38's for a short time, I've also had at least one 44 of one kind or another for years. How can you not?

I certainly wished my dad's model 27 3-1/2" would have come to me, but one of his step kids grabbed it, probably only to sell. I'm sure he would never have appreciated it as much as I would have.

I will never not have a Ruger Blackhawk in 357 mag. 4-5/8" just look right and feel right.

One that hasn't been mentioned is the Ruger SP101 3" . Actually I have had all 3 lengths, but prefer the 3" and 4". They are comfortable and just the right size to carry, and conceal and generally always have one with you. 3" seems to be plesantly the perfect general size. I even have one that's been customized by Gemeni Customs, that has the high vis front sight, and adjustable rears (probably Smith J frame sights). It just has a sense of being stronger than the model 60.

Good Reviews EE.
Many thanks. Hawkeye beat me to it on my own knife. lol It's a big knife, but I certainly like it. It wasn't expensive and it's made here in the USA.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by local_dirt
[quote=TheKid]

You can change the stocks on the K's..

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

But, you don't have to..

Hard to beat right there!!! The ultimate.357 Magnum IMO !

I sure do like a 66. Have 4 of them, 3 - 2.5"s and a 4". Also unfired 4" 19. K's baby!

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

No need for a L-Frame in .357 when you can have a .44 Bore

I prefer the K-frame in .357

Ditto.

PS If S&W dropped the key lock feature, their L-Frame .44 Magnums would be wildly popular.

IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
I should have included Dan Wesson, probably. Charter...maybe. I've never owned either in 357 although I did own both in other calibers. Nothing wrong with either. There's a good possibility the DW would rate above a Python, even leaving out the unique capability of having more than one length barrel in the pistol pack. IME DW's are good guns.

I agree with you on the 686, I have more rounds through my 686 than all my other 357 revolvers combined.
I wish I could agree with you on the Dan Wesson but can’t, it is finicky and always seems to have a hitch in its giddy up. Can’t bring myself to sell it either

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Say what you will, the K-frame .38s and .357s were the top of the heap when revolvers were the duty handgun of choice.

Here and there some individual revolvers may have had a longevity issue if a huge volume of heavy loads were used. By and large the models 19 and 66, and their various fixed sight counterparts have served with distinction. I know of a couple of model 19s, and at least one 66 passed on to a 3rd generation of shooters. And they haven't been babied or kept in a drawer.

Perfect for their intended use...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
"Combat Masterpiece" was more than just marketing fluff.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
My first centerfire revolver was a 19-3 purchased in 1970...put 10K rounds of Magnum ammo through it, brought it to the factory to have it tightened up and nickeled. Ran 10K more rounds though it and sold it in 1980...didn't have another .357 keeper till the early 2000s when I bought a 4" GP-100 that still have. Has one of the best and most predictable DA trigger pulls I have ever used...

If limited to one .357 that had to do everything that would be the one...

I also own:
S&W Pre-27 that lettered to the day I was born
S&W 65-3 3"
S&W 66-2 3"
S&W 60-10 3"
S&W 60-10 3" Lew Horton Small Hunter
S&W 640 PRO
Colt .357 TROOPER (1968)
...and have a Freedom Arms 97 5.5" on lay-a-way....found one LNIB for $500 under the current wholesale...

The TROOPER is a really nice shooting gun...was shooting it last week with some 38-44 loads and it was very pleasant to shoot...

[Linked Image]

Pre-27 that lettered to the day I was born in 1952...I was in the hostital 50 miles south of the factory when it was shipped. It isn't in pristine condition...but then neither am I...

[Linked Image]

My problem with .357s is I rarely shoot them...maybe once a year. The rest of the handgun shooting goes to .41 Magnum and .38 Super...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by johnw

Combat Masterpiece revolvers were also 38s and not 357s. They may be the perfect 38 too.

IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

They only came in .38 Special. Combat Magnum was the .357 Magnum.

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My vote goes to K-frames and avoiding 125-grain bullets. 2nd place goes to the L-frame Mountain Gun, but that's too specific.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
opinions are like bosses and azzholes. Everyone has one.

mine is that I prefer my model 65 smile

Last edited by Mannlicher; 01/19/20.

Sam......

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by JOG
My vote goes to K-frames and avoiding 125-grain bullets. 2nd place goes to the L-frame Mountain Gun, but that's too specific.

Yeah, the 125 grainers are likely the main culprit for shorter service life in K-Frames. They tend to really wear away the forcing cone. When they first agreed to make the K-Frame in .357 Magnum, what most cops were using were 158 gainers at lower velocities. Likely these are easier on forcing cones .

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

They only came in .38 Special. Combat Magnum was the .357 Magnum.

Yep.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by JOG

Yeah, the 125 grainers are likely the main culprit for shorter service life in K-Frames. They tend to really wear away the forcing cone. When they first agreed to make the K-Frame in .357 Magnum, what most cops were using were 158 gainers at lower velocities. Likely these are easier on forcing cones .

The 158 grain bullets were in the 1450 FPS range when e M19 first appeared

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by JOG

And what were 125 grainers driven to at that time? My 1979 Speer manual has them topping out at 1577.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Originally Posted by TheKid
IMO no 357 says Business like a 3 1/2” N frame. But the Ns really aren’t great due to OAL constraints with their short cylinders.

I prefer Magna stocks due to having skinny hands and that discounts the Ks for me if lots of shooting is in order with magnum loads.

The L frames are a great compromise and I think they’re pretty close to the Goldilocks of 357s. Good cylinder length, lugged barrels add enough weight to tame recoil, and the grip frame is a good size for my hands. I’ve been thinking of picking up a 4” 686 of late though it would be hard to abandon my heavy loaded 38s as field guns.

I have yet to meet a Colt I really liked in 357. Closest would be a 357 or early Trooper. I’ve long been of the opinion that the Python is a silly looking holdover from the disco era and have replaced enough sintered internals in MKIII Troopers to not care for them. Also never really warmed to the long stacking DA pull of the old style actions and don’t care for the shape and size of the grip frame on the Colt 41 frame.

Never been a Ruger DA guy. Aside from the Speed, Service, and Security series it’s always seemed to me that they were overbuilt for little reason in some areas and often crudely finished. The lack of parts and factory service for the Security lockwork guns is a turnoff as well. Lack of Magna style stocks and no other options is a dealbreaker for the GP and SP for me too. Now talking SA the 357 Blackhawk is an excellent package of affordability and durability, I don’t see ever selling the 4 5/8 I have.

Maybe I’m a snob or maybe I’m jaded from working as a gunsmith for a while but I’ll pass hard and completely on anything Taurus or Charter. Ditto Rossi, Llama, and any other budget brand I’ve ever encountered.

You can change the stocks on the K's..

But, you don't have to..

Yep.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by JOG

It's not the velocity alone - the main culprit is the shorter length. The longer, heavier 158 grain bullets align the cylinder and forcing cone like a range rod protecting the forcing cone from radial stress. The shorter 125 grain bullets can pitch/yaw just enough to accelerate wear on the forcing cone, and the K-frames forcing cone with the flat spot on the bottom is the revolver's weakest link.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
opinions are like bosses and azzholes. Everyone has one.

mine is that I prefer my model 65 smile

I find the right deal on a 4" 65 it'll come my way...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

614 members (1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 007FJ, 19rabbit52, 57 invisible), 3,077 guests, and 1,285 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,486
Posts18,471,896
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.