-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks Jeff, very enjoyable read and helps with the cabin fever......

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
GB1

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I haven’t been to Dillingham for over 10 years as they finally build a bridge across the wood river wow. The picture doesn’t look like it’s that far up from the head of the Bay. I service the Jackie M In Naknek while they’re working as a tender. It’s such a small world to think that that boat came from Moody’s and now I’m on the other side of the bay and a boat shows up from the first place that I ever worked in Alaska

JeffA Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I use to set in for Rolly and Bev Moody so they could get out of Aleknagik for a little time off in the winters.
Who does the Jackie M tend for, AGS?

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Jeff, as with others, thanks for the great reads.

AND IIRC RE book writing, I believe you can record and let others do the leg work....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There was an old post on Tman about a guy who somehow cornered a wolverine in the snow by digging a trench around the patch of snow it was holed up in. He ended up standing on top of the snow over the top of the wolverine. Pretty sure he ended up shooting it through the top of the head.

IC B2

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
[quote=JeffA]I use to set in for Rolly and Bev Moody so they could get out of Aleknagik for a little time off in the winters.
Who does the Jackie M tend for, AGS?[/quote
They work for Copper River Seafoods I’ve had the boat for a couple of the last several years I had them and 15 and 16 and I didn’t go back in 17 and I had them in 19 good crew Vitus owns the boat and I see the sistership go by I believe the tender for AGS

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Old guy I worked with long, long ago used to spear chrome reds through the ice in a big Su trib...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
JeffA Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by FishinHank
There was an old post on Tman about a guy who somehow cornered a wolverine in the snow by digging a trench around the patch of snow it was holed up in. He ended up standing on top of the snow over the top of the wolverine. Pretty sure he ended up shooting it through the top of the head.

I gotta lot of Wolverine stories, they are fun catch.
I have abbreviated the crap outta these tales just to keep them from being boring.
It's not like I let that Wolverine get by with wrecking my snow machine you know.

He was living under that cabin, until I went back and evicted his azz....

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I could tell a Wolverine tale or two............

JeffA Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Nestucca
Originally Posted by JeffA
I use to set in for Rolly and Bev Moody so they could get out of Aleknagik for a little time off in the winters.
Who does the Jackie M tend for, AGS?

They work for Copper River Seafoods I’ve had the boat for a couple of the last several years I had them and 15 and 16 and I didn’t go back in 17 and I had them in 19 good crew Vitus owns the boat and I see the sistership go by I believe the tender for AGS

I knew I recognized that name but couldn't put my finger on it.
You're at Baywatch, that's first stop on the river you don't have to go very far up the Naknek to deliver.

I did some contract work in that area for a while, like every season between 98 and 2018.
Every time I buzz by that place on my way out to the point they seem busy keeping that freezer plant humming.

Yeah, small world.....

JeffA Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Old guy I worked with long, long ago used to spear chrome reds through the ice in a big Su trib...

I could see that happening.
We would chum those holes with roe, if the sun was right when you'd peered down into them it was like fish TV.

I suppose we should be calling them Kokanee.
Thanks to a few timely and strategically placed beaver dams some of those ponds out across the tundra can hold sweet surprises.

Nothing like having fresh Red's in the winter....

IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
What a great read Jeff, thanks for taking the time

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Bush Air Cargo‘s (Anchorage and Palmer, AK) pictured Douglas C-47B-DK (DC-3) N777YA (msn 25634) “Arctic Liner” made a hard landing at the Nixon Fork Mine in McGrath, Alaska.

According the the FAA initial report for the November 22, 2015 incident, the crew of N777YA “on landing struck a snow berm and the landing gear went through the wing at Nixon Fork Mine in McGrath, Alaska”.

There were no injuries to the two crew members on board but the fate of the “Arctic Liner” is probably not good.

This is the only DC-3 in Alaska that is certified to operate with skis and land on frozen lakes.

I'm more concerned about the fate of the Gooney Bird....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
That is correct Jeff. We are small potatoes compared to the others but we stay hopping.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

I could see that happening.
We would chum those holes with roe, if the sun was right when you'd peered down into them it was like fish TV.

I suppose we should be calling them Kokanee.
Thanks to a few timely and strategically placed beaver dams some of those ponds out across the tundra can hold sweet surprises.

Nothing like having fresh Red's in the winter....

Not kokanee... full-size fish with sea lice scars in moving water of the main stem of a fairly large river. I doubt the fish in your picture is a kokanee, too.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
JeffA Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Bush Air Cargo‘s (Anchorage and Palmer, AK) pictured Douglas C-47B-DK (DC-3) N777YA (msn 25634) “Arctic Liner” made a hard landing at the Nixon Fork Mine in McGrath, Alaska.

According the the FAA initial report for the November 22, 2015 incident, the crew of N777YA “on landing struck a snow berm and the landing gear went through the wing at Nixon Fork Mine in McGrath, Alaska”.

There were no injuries to the two crew members on board but the fate of the “Arctic Liner” is probably not good.

This is the only DC-3 in Alaska that is certified to operate with skis and land on frozen lakes.

Originally Posted by Seafire
I'm more concerned about the fate of the Gooney Bird....

It never flew again....the indecent at Nixon Fork Mine was the end of it's life. It died from a broken wing..

JeffA Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Not kokanee... full-size fish with sea lice scars in moving water of the main stem of a fairly large river. I doubt the fish in your picture is a kokanee, too.

Hummm, you're right, they are too big.

The beaver dams that basically land-locked the lake waters we were fishing in might keep the smolt from getting out but they'd offer little challenge to the spawners that chose to jump them to get in....never thought about that..interesting.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kid0917
My brother and I floated past Golden Horn years ago, we had been dropped off at the top of Kulik by Freshwater Adventures. We totally missed the salmon but caught some nice dollies and my best-ever grayling, I think it was 21 inches long. We ran across Justin Johns on the river, interesting guy.

Saw a wolverine at the lower end of Kulik, and had moose eyeballing our camp the first morning.

Small world indeed. I guided for Justin Johns during the heyday of the Mulchanta herd, early 90’s to 2001

When looking at the map Jeff provided of Wood-Tikchik state park, Justin has Fishing bear lodge on Beverley just before you run up the Peace river. It’s not huge like the other lodges, but for my money Golden Horn and Silver horn are some of the prettiest RE on the planet.

I hadn’t seen or talked to Justin for 17 years until a few days ago. Was on the big Island of Hawaii and went and saw him at his estate in Hawi. He’d invited me to go fishing with he and his son Connor early that a.m. on their boat, but I declined as it was my wife’s last day on the islands.

At Golden horn lodge I saw the prettiest set of Moose antlers I’ve ever beheld. Only 66 or 67 inches, but almost a mirror of one side to the other. Iirc Tikchik ranger Dan killed the moose and left the antlers in the field and the caretaker from Golden Horn lodge retrieved them.

So many stories of those days, but I’m sure enjoying reading others particularly Jeff’s

Great thread Jeff, thanks

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
JeffA Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Ranger Dan? Justins camp?
I'll give that a little thought, Maybe something will come to mind.....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Jeff did you know the caretaker of Golden Horn ? Can’t recall his name 🤦🏼‍♂️ Had his girlfriend with him that year.

I put a client on a 59 inch moose across from Golden Horn lodge one of those years and the caretaker was good enough to cut it up while I hauled loads to the river. Justin knew I wouldn’t get it all done so he planned to help me finish the next day..

He was pretty tickled we’d gotten it all back to camp. Wouldn’t have happened without that caretakers help for certain

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
JeffA Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I'm tryin' hard to recall but it's not coming to me.
His younger brother actually care took Wood River lodge one year, I sold him a shotgun.

That guy was at Golden Horn way too long, he got real bushy.
He was an obsessed trapper and got real possessive of the areas he claimed.

He started trying to run the Native guys out of the areas he was trapping.
What he didn't realize was that some of it was owned by these guys, it was their allotments.

The Natives rotated the areas they trapped so they could let it rest after a few years of trapping it hard.
Well four or five years go by and they head back to their allotment and find that he was running traps on their land.
He confronted them and told them he'd been running lines there for the last 3 years so he felt it was his.

He was pretty aggressive about it so they just backed down and let him have it, they just aren't that possessive of real estate.
They all just deemed him as another crazy white guy that'd gone bushy and stayed clear of him and so did I.

There was plenty of good country to be had.

You can't tell me you don't recognize those last photos I posted?
That's Ranger Dan's custom Wooldridge and I'm thinking Justins cabin. He had the nice cedar stack-a-shack didn't he?
I stayed there all the time at the bottom of the Peace.
He had the letter nailed to the wall inside that read "use what you need and leave what you can but be sure to leave firewood" his phone number was on it..

Those other T-1-11 cabins got all ate up by the Quill pigs.

As soon as you guys would get outta there after your Moose hunts I'd roll in.
We overlapped one time, I came up and you guys were still there so I just went up to the top of the Wind.
You were gone inside two days, hell when I got in there the bunks were still warm...lol...

You'd gotten at least one Moose, I saw the carcass up on the south shore of Gloden Horn arm...

Went back up that way for the late season and got this one..

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

655 members (1badf350, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1936M71, 1234, 60 invisible), 2,775 guests, and 1,297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,371
Posts18,469,224
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.