Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Who makes the best winter pack boots?

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Whites and Schnees are two I usually see that are highly regarded.

Mine are old Sorel Mavericks. They’ve done great by me.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I can recommend Schnees.

https://schnees.com/hunter-ii/

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've got a pair of White's and had a pair of Schnee's. I think Whites are out of the Pac Boot business now. Hoffman's are a great brand and Kennetrek is a solid choice. Hoffman will do custom if you contact them.

I'm here to increase my social credit score and rub elbows with some of the highest rollers on the internet.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I have a pair of the Schnees Hunter II that I like a lot.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Sorels...several models.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
I have a pair of the Schnees Hunter II that I like a lot.

Same here....

With felt packs, if I don't make sure the liners are kept dry, after a couple of days the soles of my feet will start cracking. If I'm going to be using packs for a more than a few days, I change out or dry the liners. I also apply bag balm on my soles.

Addition: Although insulated rubber boots are becoming more of a favorite. The newer styles have good support and seem to be just as comfortable.

Last edited by battue; 01/19/20.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image from i26.photobucket.com]

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Hoffman by a mile is my choice.

Ed T

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Schnee's or Kennetrek are my recommendations
I've had both. I tend to lean towards the Schnee's though

Life is but the memories we've created.....Sully Erna
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Originally Posted by Robster

Three times the price for MAYBE 2% better quality...smacks of Hamilton, MT elitist snob, brand fanboyism.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Robster

This.
Currently running Kenetrek, but Schnees are good too.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Ed_T

This. I have used most pacs out there, with the exception of kenetrek. Hoffman has the best and most durable rubber bottoms, as well as the best leather uppers. My first pair lasted 4 or 5 years without cracking, and then only a little. The schnees I had, had good leather uppers, but the rubber bottoms cracked badly the first winter. Schnees replaced them, and the 2nd pair cracked out in one season as wel l. They blamed a bad batch of rubber. Not sure if it is better now or not.Sorrels have good rubber bottoms, but their leather is not as good as Hoffmans. Which ever you choose, make sure that you get the thick wooll liners. They are much warmer than the thinner "tinfoil" liners that are supposed to be warm. Good luck.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
my little pitch for Schnees; I purchased my Hunters in the early 90's so close to 30 years old (lots and lots of miles), they've been resoled once- so durability and longevity aren't a question. I don't think you could wear out the leather uppers to be honest and the rubber bottoms are replaceable

a lot of pac boots are built for cold, but not so much for hiking- w/ the Hunter's it's not unusual for me to put 10-15 tough miles a day hunting in these boots w/o any worry of blisters or soreness (well soreness in the legs does often accompany these hunts :))

I bought their 16" ones and they are tall enough it completely negates the use of gaiters with them

I purchased an extra set of liners so I always have a pair ready to go, these are the original 30 year old ones and still going strong

I would recommend w/ any pac boot sealing the threaded section that connects the upper to the lower- I use seam seal and works well (you can see it in this pic)

[Linked Image from imgur.com]

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
+1 for Hoffman's. I have one pair for work and another for hunting/hiking. Don't remember how old either pair is, but they last a long time.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by mtwarden
my little pitch for Schnees; I purchased my Hunters in the early 90's so close to 30 years old (lots and lots of miles), they've been resoled once- so durability and longevity aren't a question. I don't think you could wear out the leather uppers to be honest and the rubber bottoms are replaceable

a lot of pac boots are built for cold, but not so much for hiking- w/ the Hunter's it's not unusual for me to put 10-15 tough miles a day hunting in these boots w/o any worry of blisters or soreness (well soreness in the legs does often accompany these hunts :))

I bought their 16" ones and they are tall enough it completely negates the use of gaiters with them

I purchased an extra set of liners so I always have a pair ready to go, these are the original 30 year old ones and still going strong

I would recommend w/ any pac boot sealing the threaded section that connects the upper to the lower- I use seam seal and works well (you can see it in this pic)

[Linked Image from imgur.com]

Oh stop it, what do you know? You only hike dam near everyday. smile smile smile

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Another vote for Hoffman's. I picked up a pair of the 14" Voyager model in the fall and they have been great. The leather uppers are heavy duty. The claw style sole works good in the snow.

"There'll be no quitters till we bag some critters."
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Ed_T

Hoffman will be my next Pac's, despite living where Kennetrek and Schnees are.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Have put thousands of miles on pac boots over the years working in the woods in the winter.
Whites are garbage. Schnees and Hoffman are both good and about equal quality in my experience, but Hoffman is a better value. I have no experience with Kenetrek.
Myself and everyone I have worked with wear Hoffman.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I have Kenetreks for about 7 years grest boots but I wish they had bob soles like SCHNEES vs the vibram soles on Kenetreks. Thats my only complaint. Very comfortable and I swap out the liners.

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer or elk but how he hunted it.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

219 members (10Glocks, 12344mag, 160user, 2500HD, 1eyedmule, 2UP, 17 invisible), 1,679 guests, and 1,008 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,388
Posts18,469,804
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.