Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
I know many of you have been there, and several live in the area. My wife wants to go somewhere in June, and she’s put me in charge of planning it.

I know I want to see Cody, Wyoming and as much of Yellowstone as possible in a week or so. I’d really appreciate suggestions on which town to fly into, places to see, places to avoid, good restaurants, places to stay, etc

Thank you in advance!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Avoid Jackson Hole. Yuppies with cowboy hats and boots and CROWDED! Cody, the whole damn place is great. The Irma is a good place to eat in Cody. You'll have a hoot checking out the tourists in Yellowstone. You'll enjoy yourself in Cody. Great town.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Cody Firearms Museum, spend a day there!

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
In Cody, eat at at the Buffalo Bill Hotel, or whatever it's named, after his daughter I believe. Great prime rib in an historic atmosphere. If you go to Jackson don't bother eating at the million dollar cowboy saloon. Way overpriced, poor service and so so food. The bar upstairs is historic and nice.

Old guy, old guns.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Go to the museum, a full day isn't too much there. The old trail town is neat as well. Good jumping off point for the park as well

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by StGeorger
In Cody, eat at at the Buffalo Bill Hotel, or whatever it's named, after his daughter I believe. Great prime rib in an historic atmosphere. If you go to Jackson don't bother eating at the million dollar cowboy saloon. Way overpriced, poor service and so so food. The bar upstairs is historic and nice.

That would be the Irma. F Jackson Hole.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by hanco

This, While I know Jackson is a tourist trap,I think it's kinda cool.(just to say you say it)

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
In Cody for a nice breakfast “our place” if it’s still open, Cassie’s for a good steak. The museum is worth the day, Cooke city Montana and the beartooth Highway are nice rides.
Ronnie

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
At least a day at the museum, more of you’re a gun nut or if you get the time. There’s just so much there to take in. Great place!
If you’ve got an extra hour or two, take in the Buffalo Bill Damn on the Shoshone River. Both Wifey and I found it very interesting.
Yellowstone is wonderful and breathtaking, but crowded as well.
There’s just so much in that area to do and see. Spend at least a week, 10 days would be better. Good luck and have fun! I’m sure you’ll all enjoy it.
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

IC B3

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
A week isn’t too long!

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

It will take far more than one day to see what's there. It would be a shame to go to Cody and not see all of what's there.
A great deal more than just firearms to see.
Great stuff there!
-Mike-

Last edited by MickeyD; 01/22/20.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I’d fly into Billings. Go to the rodeo one night while you are there, and BE SURE to spend a day at the Buffalo Bill gun museum.

and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God? (Micah 6:8)

d.v.

Musings on TDS
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
If you do the beartooth highway and like beer, be sure to drop in for a cold one at Red Lodge Ales.

and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God? (Micah 6:8)

d.v.

Musings on TDS
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Some roads may still be closed by snow in early June, so be aware of that. Late June is safer in that regard, but more crowded. Make reservations really early if you want to stay in Yellowstone Park. Don't forget Grand Teton National Park with some iconic views.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Stay in Yellowstone three days in one of the hotels there. Staying in Cody is a little far for day tripping. Then one or two nights in Cody and if you have time go to Little Big Horn battlefield in MT.
Weatherby has relocated to Sheridan WY and that is fairly close to MT.

If it was me I'd fly into Billings and out of Jackson. Spend time at LBH and Sheridan (one day), day or two in Cody then into Yellowstone for three days and out through Jackson. Jackson is touristy, but worth seeing and Grand Teton is on the way to Jackson via Yellowstone park.

Irma's is OK in Cody, but in fact there are no great restaurants in the whole area AFAIK. Bubba's is OK for BBQ and there's one in Cody. The higher end restaurants in Yellowstone are somewhat OK, but most of the food there is garbage. If Jackson has any real nice restaurants, it's news to me. But considering how much $$$$ is in the area there must be something. Been a while since I've been there. So go to Yelp for help.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I wouldn’t spend a week in Cody... fly into Bozeman, drive down to Jackson on the Idaho side, drive up through the Park to Cody... spend a couple days there, drive back to Bozeman through the Park, fly home.

Or, just fly into Jackson, do a loop up to Cody for a few days, and back to Jackson.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Depending on where you’re coming from it might make sense to fly directly into Cody. We have a commercial airport here that United Skywest uses but I think most or all of their flights go through Salt Lake City. Billings is only an hour and 45 minute drive.

The museum’s gonna take more than a day if you take your time and do it right. The east entrance of Yellowstone Park is an hour’s drive. From there it’s another 45 minutes to Fishing Bridge. But there’s a lot of good hiking before you get to the park. If rodeos are your thing there’s one every night.

We used to come to Cody or YS every summer for vacation. Then I retired and moved here. Feel free to pm me is you want more details about anything. And oh, if you want to carry concealed here you don’t need a permit. And if you want to open carry no one cares.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Spend two days there. When I get tired of looking at firearms history, I go up and look at the fantastic collection of Western art

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Hi the museum for sure. I would skip Yellowstone altogether and got to the Tetons, less people (though in June it may not matter) and better scenery and hikes.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

75 members (6mmbrfan, 257_X_50, 808outdoors, 2500HD, 7mm_Loco, 257robertsimp, 9 invisible), 1,399 guests, and 806 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,505
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.