Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
It's pretty nice, really, for an 80-some year old field gun. The wood has some pressure marks......…...not really scratches or scrapes. More like dents. Bluing is nice. there's a hairline crack (I needed my loupe from college geology to spy it) along the tang. Bores appear to be dirty, but excellent. Don't have a 16 gauge swab here...…..but it's on the way.

Not sure what I'm going to do with it. I think There's some 16 gauge ammo odds & ends here. Gonna have to shoot it a little. Would make a nice resto candidate. Would be a good one to just hunt. Would be a good one to walk around a gun show with...……….. I'm not in love with it yet, so......….

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Yoder409
It's pretty nice, really, for an 80-some year old field gun. The wood has some pressure marks......…...not really scratches or scrapes. More like dents. Bluing is nice. there's a hairline crack (I needed my loupe from college geology to spy it) along the tang. Bores appear to be dirty, but excellent. Don't have a 16 gauge swab here...…..but it's on the way.

Not sure what I'm going to do with it. I think There's some 16 gauge ammo odds & ends here. Gonna have to shoot it a little. Would make a nice resto candidate. Would be a good one to just hunt. Would be a good one to walk around a gun show with...……….. I'm not in love with it yet, so......….

Would make a nice resto candidate. I agree!!!! How did you do on it price wise?

Hairline crack in the tang or in the wood around the tang?

Last edited by MontanaCreekHunter; 01/25/20.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
Originally Posted by Yoder409

Would make a nice resto candidate. I agree!!!! How did you do on it price wise?

Hairline crack in the tang or in the wood around the tang?

The crack is in the wood, running nearly, perfectly parallel to the tang.

Bought this gun off the same individual I bought a 12 gauge field Model 21 from about a month ago. His number was right on the 12 and I never dickered. He was quite a bit too high on the 16 at that time and I never even asked to look at it. Since I was there the first time, he came down $1K on the 16 gauge...……...hence the return trip. I offered him $250 less than his current asking price and the deal was made, so...………. He was happy where we were. I'm happy where we ended up. Once in a while, patience pays off.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Just occurred to me to toss it on Momma's scale...……...……

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Typical location for a crack. If that gun was mine and I realize it is not, I would be restocking it anyways. If the price was right for you then in my opinion it is a perfect candidate for a resto. I do love them Model 21's.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
IC B2

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

537 members (1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 69 invisible), 2,497 guests, and 1,343 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,447
Posts18,470,977
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.