Hop To
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
...any outfitter recommendations?

Thanks,

Internet analysis: 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact

Fools & fanatics are always so certain and wise people are always so questioning

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mike;
Good evening to you sir, I hope this finds you well, warm and dry.

If I am not mistaken, the only place they're found in BC will be on the islands of Haida Gwaii - what used to be the Queen Charlotte Islands.

It's been years since we were up there - early '90's I believe it was - and when we were there South Moresby Island had a really healthy population. We only had a couple days to hunt so I shot the first decent 2 point I saw, then had it cut, wrapped and flash frozen by a chap who cut meat out of the Super Valu grocery store.

While we didn't see any really big ones, I do recall seeing some photos in a couple stores of decent Sitkas, so they used to be up there at one time, but again my information is a quarter century old - sorry.

There's a thread at the top here dealing with hunting in Canada and there's quite a few good tips there for visiting hunters.

If you choose to drive up, the ferry service to and from Haida Gwaii can be a bit spotty later on in the fall as the weather can be sketchy and then some.

Usually the fishing up there is pretty good too, so perhaps if you can swing the time and finances, a combination trip would be grand.

As to a specific outfitter as I'm cognizant you requested, I must apologize as I've less than no idea of the guides up there.

Good luck on your hunt whichever way you choose and all the best to you this year.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Dwayne is correct concerning the classification of Sitka Blacktails in BC....B&C and P&Y only recognize deer from HG/QCI as Sitka Blacktails. And from what i have heard there is no longer a hunting outfitter and guide service on HG/QCI. You can search under the provincial govt of BC "Guide Territories"....also the Guide Outfitters of BC's website for who "owns" the territory. Good luck.

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Yep, that is what I have found. HG/QCI is a First Nations guide territory and GOBC is unaware of any outfitters.

Internet analysis: 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact

Fools & fanatics are always so certain and wise people are always so questioning

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

549 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1234, 12344mag, 16gage, 10Glocks, 51 invisible), 2,541 guests, and 1,351 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,460
Posts18,471,276
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.