Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by eaglemountainman
For the record, I'm a shooter too. Every firearm I own gets shot or hunted when they fit the bill for a given day. I don't have a bank account that allows for me to be a collector of fine pristine firearms, and so I am not.

Like has been said, to each his own. I'm having a problem making the distinction between a guy taking a generic piece of steel, making it into a mount and modifying a rifle to accept it. Him we call, Bubba, whether he uses a drill press or more pricise methods, for ruining the aesthetics of the firearm... collectible or not. But if Smendrake does the same thing in a historied, high end gun shop in the UK, with another piece of steel, this one displaying their exhalted logo, also destroying said aesthetics, that's considered firearm modification of the highest order. To me it's the same thing, no matter the mechanic's name. I would think the fine minds and talent at a long revered firearms establishment could have come up with a much more appealing alternative. Mike's elegant Lightfoot mount springs to mind.

Hard to argue with that logic.

LOL
GB1

99guy Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I would never consider putting new holes in an old gun

But I would buy one that had already been "ruined".

Especially that one. I'd be a proud owner.

That gun without the G&H would have went in the mid 3's.

Just sayin...

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Bottom line, I still consider this gun to be more valuable than if it were plain factory original- based entirely on the fact it has a modification from a company every bit esteemed as the Savage company (if not more so in a lot of minds).

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Anybody see a classic rifle for sale cheap with a G&H mount and you don't want it because "it's d/t'ed", you call me.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I would've gladly taken a swipe at this one but for 2 reasons: a) dear friends of mine saw it first, and b) I had/have other expensive irons in the fire.

IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
You do need a 300.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
99guy Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Everybody needs a 300

Or 7.....

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I've got a EG in300 with a single lever Jeager mount,its similar to the G&H ,still kind of neat. I have a G&H mount assembly for a savage 99,there made special with a tapered mounting plate. Just in case i find one with the correct holes in it. smile

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Someone I believe posted "it hurt my eyes", hurt mine too! That mount on that K I don't care how valuable and rare they are ruins the appearance of that 99K. Hate seeing that type of mount on a classic rifle, even if it were a G, R, EG, or one of the last 99's off the assembly line-it just doesn't look right IMO, besides devaluing the rifle. You'd think whoever put that G&H on that K would have gotten ahold of a Stith at the time and taken the tang sight off. While I'm at it, IMO (and I know a lot of you like them), I think the Lyman type receiver sights on a 99 make the rifle look unbalanced and unnatural. Those receiver sights are great sights, I know, I have one on a Remington 22 target rifle. Dead on accuracy. To me putting that G&H or even a Lyman receiver sight on a 99 is akin to putting large protruding rubber oversize mud flaps on a Corvette. Just takes away the classic lines, besides in the case of the side mount the need to drill holes on the receiver side. Collector vs shooter. I collect to shoot and collect to look at and fondle the art pieces of wood and steel in my safes. I've known guys that buy firearms and never shoot em, seems a waste to me, but as has been previously posted-"To each his own"! Being new here on the forum I'm probably saying to much, but just givin my two-cents.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The butt plate doesn't match the rest of the gun!

Mike

NRA Patron Member

If its "Made in America", its not setting on a container ship!
IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I would proudly own that rifle. I will admit the first thought that came to mind when I saw it was engraved rifles are not a new thing, and I would think any gun owner in the last 100+ years would maybe realize that drilling through the engraving may not be the best idea on value. I believe the G&H 99 mounts were pretty early though. so depending on when it was done, there may not have been a lot of options for scope mounts. Those mounts were not cheap even back then, but neither were pre-Weaver scopes. So it could have been done by someone who had a money and wanted high level stuff. But having a scope on a hunting rifle before 1930 or so, meant that you were doing pretty well financially.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Very nice. Too bad the mounting screws were not ground and blended in like on this 99.
[Linked Image]

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Yeah, without seeing it close up I can't tell how old it is. Could've been done long before Stith even existed. Remember back in the day scopes were woefully unreliable and having the scope quickly detachable was a very real asset. Even today having a QD mount has advantages- I have a couple on Mausers and my modus operandi when hunting with them has always been to carry the scope separated from the rifle (in a nifty leather tube I got in Germany intended for that purpose) and relying on the aperture sights when still hunting through thick woods. When taking a static position I'll slip the scope on the gun- the design/craftsmanship allows for very precise maintenance of zero.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Savage94C
Someone I believe posted "it hurt my eyes", hurt mine too! That mount on that K I don't care how valuable and rare they are ruins the appearance of that 99K. Hate seeing that type of mount on a classic rifle, even if it were a G, R, EG, or one of the last 99's off the assembly line-it just doesn't look right IMO, besides devaluing the rifle. You'd think whoever put that G&H on that K would have gotten ahold of a Stith at the time and taken the tang sight off. While I'm at it, IMO (and I know a lot of you like them), I think the Lyman type receiver sights on a 99 make the rifle look unbalanced and unnatural. Those receiver sights are great sights, I know, I have one on a Remington 22 target rifle. Dead on accuracy. To me putting that G&H or even a Lyman receiver sight on a 99 is akin to putting large protruding rubber oversize mud flaps on a Corvette. Just takes away the classic lines, besides in the case of the side mount the need to drill holes on the receiver side. Collector vs shooter. I collect to shoot and collect to look at and fondle the art pieces of wood and steel in my safes. I've known guys that buy firearms and never shoot em, seems a waste to me, but as has been previously posted-"To each his own"! Being new here on the forum I'm probably saying to much, but just givin my two-cents.

I'd be tarred and feathered if I voiced an opinion on here the like of what you just said. That being said, I agree with you 100% A few posts back, someone mentioned the Lightfoot mount as being elegant. While Mike has put some serious thought into coming up with an alternative to what is available on the market for a no drill mount for a 99 that has not been drilled and tapped already, it is FAR from "elegant" It is fully functional, well thought out, and allows for the mounting of any scope that will be damaged or even ruined by removal of the eyepiece. For that matter, even a Stith does not fall into the category of elegance. But drilling and tapping an engraved rifle should be grounds for impeachment. Buying one after the damage is done is purely a personal choice. As far as I am concerned, THIS is how a scoped K should look. I looked at 3 FINE rifles today and come home with NONE One was an engraved C with little or no blue on the receiver and KILLER wood. I could not get past the lack of blue The other was an 1895 that was gorgeous. The other was a checkered engraved piece in a case with documentation. My wife got a phone call from her brother and we had to leave before I could finish any thing. At any rate, THIS is how I feel a scoped K "should" look.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Ok, I really like that rifle! And I agree that is the way it should look. Of course I like the other one too.....What is the matter with me?

99guy Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by KeithNyst
Very nice. Too bad the mounting screws were not ground and blended in like on this 99.
[Linked Image]

I would not do that to a rifle.

But, I know why the guy that did it did it and he did it or had it done with class.

I like it.

I'd buy that rifle and take it hunting and kill a big buck with it.

Last edited by 99guy; 01/25/20.

~Admiral Yamamoto~

99guy Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

As it concerns this rifle, I had no idea this thread would evolve into what everybody's' definition of "Bubba" is, but that is where it kind of went.

This work was probably done shortly after the rifle was purchased. The rings may have been updated at some point, but can't tell from the pictures. And somebody has taken great care of that rifle for the past 80 years. In 1935 that gun, as is, would have been the envy of any sportsman.

Those of you that don't appreciate it for what it is, is what makes it more affordable and desirable for those of us that do.

In fact: the more I look at that gun now, the more wonder if I didn't get out too early.

It's gone now though.

frown

~Admiral Yamamoto~

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Ref Longbeardking's post above about "Being tarred and feathered" about the content of my post-guess I'm dead meat then!!

Nice lookin deer and K with Stith mounts. I was going to mention Lightfoot's mount as an alternative to the G&H, but assumed that possibly with the K in the original OP's post, Lightfoots mounts were not available at the time-might have been, would have been a better alternative. I like Lightfoots mount, PM'd him last month reference getting one for my 99R. Still in plan's. I think Lightfoots mount is a very good looking rig, just as good and adaptable as the Stith. Who knows, 50 years from now they'll probably be a highly sought, top dollar item to 99 owners wanting to scope a rifle. I just like to keep and see the Ol 99 as pure and untouched as possible. I have two Remington 81's (300 Savage), love them for the same reason as the 99's-a classic from times past. See a lot of them with holes galore on Gun Broker on the side of the receiver. Saw one on a forum that is for the 8 and 81's where the owner mounted a 'RedDot' scope on it. Looked like the Corvette with oversize mudflaps. Anyway, drilling and adding things to the 99's make's them functional, will down game, but just doesn't look right.

99guy Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 300savagehunter
The butt plate doesn't match the rest of the gun!

Mike

It's been stored the last 80 years, probably in somebody's gun cabinet or in the corner of a closet standing on it's butt plate. You can see on the toe where the bluing has worn from being stored that way.

The fit to finish is perfect. I would bet my house that is the butt plate that it left the factory with.

Not an issue.

~Admiral Yamamoto~

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Hey '99guy'---I think the GB 99K is a beautiful rifle. I haven't been in and around 99's as long as most of you here, I just think the scope mount doesn't match the rifles lines, having that square plain plate against the engraving and all. Guess if I would have possibly bid on it, I'd balance the value of a undrilled and tapped 99K and the one that was on GB. Maybe the value of the G&H mount would override the lost value of the K with holes, I don't know-you long timers can answer that better than I. I've paid as much for a Colt Python as what that 99K sold for several years ago, but the Python was almost NIB in condition, but to me spending around $2300 for a Python was justifiable. I like the GB 99K for what it is, but just don't like the looks of that plain blued flat metal screwed to the left side of the receiver. Just doesn't flow with the lines of the 99. For what its worth, I'm not a big fan of over engraving of metal or fancy wood carvings on firearms. A guy at a gunshow showed me a Colt Python that was probably 90% engraved. He knew I was a Python fan and figured I'd jump on the gun, told him that was the ugliest revolver at the whole show. I don't mind tasteful engraving, but detest anything overboard, probably 20% is my limit and that's stretching it.

I guess back in the day before Savage and a lot of other manufacturers offered pretapped scope mounts on receivers, the owners did what they had to do to mount a scope. Not having the variety of mounts offered today, the owners/shooters used what was available and no thought was given as to the devaluation of the firearm or to future owners 50-90 years in the future. We're the recipient of their customization and "to each his own ideas"----- Just glad we've got them around today to enjoy. Take care all.

Last edited by Savage94C; 01/25/20.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

478 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 160user, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 44 invisible), 2,229 guests, and 1,115 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,509
Posts18,490,747
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.