Print Thread
Hop To
J
jim52 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Not the best example for sure, but it may be the only chance I ever get to own one of these rare pieces of Canadian history. Now the search begins for wood and the correct metal parts. Would not have been so bad if had not been drilled and tapped, and of course this is one of the later ones with the caliber stamp on the top of the receiver ring. I have photos in my image gallery if someone can post them for me. They show as being oversized and I am maxed out on my techno abilities. Thanks

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by GeneB; 01/23/20.

Gene
J
jim52 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Thanks ever so much Gene! Soon as I have lunch and a nap I am going to figure out how to do this. Thought I was doing good to get them into the image gallery !!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Finding replacement wood? Boy, if there's replacement stocks up there floating around I'd like to grab a set. grin

Best option might be finding somebody who can duplicate the buttstock, leaving a bit extra on so you can fit it properly. The forearm is going to be interesting.

Good placeholder until you run across an affordable good one. grin

Congrats!

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you have the patterns there are people that could make repos for you and fit them.

It wouldn't be cheap, but it could be done

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
IC B2

J
jim52 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Yes I have had a few sets made for some of my 1899's by a fellow up here that are very good quality and reasonably priced. The butt is the same as the SRC so that is no problem. I have a couple of contacts that I am waiting to hear from, one has a few in his collection, and apparently the other fellow has or is doing replicate wood for them. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jim52
Yes I have had a few sets made for some of my 1899's by a fellow up here that are very good quality and reasonably priced. The butt is the same as the SRC so that is no problem. I have a couple of contacts that I am waiting to hear from, one has a few in his collection, and apparently the other fellow has or is doing replicate wood for them. Keeping my fingers crossed.

are you the guy that is talking to Wilcox gun works in Cherryville , I might be able to borrow a fore arm set to be copied.

norm

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's not just the wood, where do you find the hardware for the foreend as well?

I hung onto a bunch of sporty's back in the day hoping as well, ended up selling them off at $300-$350 per.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

24 hour sarcastic S.O.B.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
That's what stopped me from snagging the sporterized one that Salter's been flogging. I can deal with the fore arm and handguard myself- not easily but I could do it. It's the bands, particularly the upper band, that would be a test of my steel whittling skills to duplicate. And the rear sight- sheesh!!

I consider a sporterized MHG to be a far worse offense than if someone re-blued and drilled and tapped a pristine 99K, and put a Fajen stock on it to boot (with recoil pad and Monte Carlo comb).

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There was a cut down MHG at last Orangeville, Ontario show with original rear sight for about $900. Will probably still be there next show. Like maddog I passed on several cut downs in $300 range five years ago. I had a man ask me if he could borrow my MHG for a couple of months so he could take it apart and reproduce the parts he needed to restore his …. good luck.

IC B3

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Any of you folks watching this? (see link below) Is it worth that - or more??

Musket Sight Fleabay

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Considering there's only three known muskets, I can't see there being a market for that.

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Come on guys, seriously?

It's a Springfield Trapdoor rear sight. I was gonna send a messgae but I'm tired of guys selling off stuff that ain't real, kinda like the RARE T front sights that have been showing up with Marbles numbers on the bottom, I guess any idiot that sees a red bead front sight thinks they've got a real prize.

https://www.gunsinternational.com/g...-carbine-rear-sight.cfm?gun_id=101237289

24 hour sarcastic S.O.B.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
And the guns weren't the only thing sporterized:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

24 hour sarcastic S.O.B.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
THAT hurts to see...

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
J
jim52 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by norm99
Originally Posted by jim52

are you the guy that is talking to Wilcox gun works in Cherryville , I might be able to borrow a fore arm set to be copied.

norm

Yes Norm I have talked with Chris,I will send you a pm.

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (160user, 007FJ, 204guy, 1936M71, 222ND, 1lessdog, 54 invisible), 2,461 guests, and 1,312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,073
Posts18,482,653
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.