Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 12 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 11 12
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Not in the industry and don't know chit, but I have to believe a lot of failures/shying away are due to lack of training as a whole, people are to in touch with their feelings nowadays, it's a service handgun/cartridge for crying out loud, grab that sombitch and run it, must be too many women and beta males in law enforcement/military that have contributed to so much switching around from one make/model/cartridge to the other, then back again, it's not going to hurt you, learn the damn thing, I have some rifles that will hurt you. smile

Trump Won!
GB1

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by gunner500
Not in the industry and don't know chit, but I have to believe a lot of failures/shying away are due to lack of training as a whole, people are to in touch with their feelings nowadays, it's a service handgun/cartridge for crying out loud, grab that sombitch and run it, must be too many women and beta males in law enforcement/military that have contributed to so much switching around from one make/model/cartridge to the other, then back again, it's not going to hurt you, learn the damn thing, I have some rifles that will hurt you. smile

I much prefer the recoil impulse of, for example, my Glock 17 vs my Glock 22, and it's got nothing whatever to do with anticipation of pain or discomfort. It's the level of concentration necessary with the Glock 22 to keep both hands firmly in place under recoil. Stop focusing hard on that task, and the .40 will cause my support hand to disengage the gun and my other hand (even if only slightly), and needs a re-acquisition of the proper two-handed grip (which slows follow up shots), whereas my two-handed grip never needs a re-acquisition while shooting my Glock 17. For that reason alone (again, nothing to do with pain, fear, or discomfort, of which there is none while shooting the Glock 22), I MUCH prefer the Glock 17, and shoot it better and faster. That's likely why so many agencies made the switch back to 9mm.

[Linked Image from images7.memedroid.com]
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

I much prefer the recoil impulse of, for example, my Glock 17 vs my Glock 22, and it's got nothing whatever to do with anticipation of pain or discomfort. It's the level of concentration necessary with the Glock 22 to keep both hands firmly in place under recoil. Stop focusing hard on that task, and the .40 will cause my support hand to disengage the gun and my other hand (even if only slightly), and needs a re-acquisition of the proper two-handed grip (which slows follow up shots), whereas my two-handed grip never needs a re-acquisition while shooting my Glock 17. For that reason alone (again, nothing to do with pain, fear, or discomfort, of which there is none while shooting the Glock 22), I MUCH prefer the Glock 17, and shoot it better and faster. That's likely why so many agencies made the switch back to 9mm.

So it is a hand grip/strength issue? the only handgun that tried to kick loose in my hands in my FA 454 with hellbender loads, I had to send the damn thing back to FA, the grips started to splinter off at the grip frame.

Trump Won!
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

So it is a hand grip/strength issue? the only handgun that tried to kick loose in my hands in my FA 454 with hellbender loads, I had to send the damn thing back to FA, the grips started to splinter off at the grip frame.

Dam TRH if a 40 S&W recoil is a problem for you to hold on to, I suggest a better diet and strength and conditioning program ASAP

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Had a guy try to trade me a like new Sig 226 in 40SW for a gen 4 21 yesterday, those that have them in my neck of the woods are trying to dump them. Every thing I see points to decreasing interest in the 40, and it dying off a lot. I am sure there will be some that won’t give it up due to some misperception of its effectiveness, but by and large you get about the same thing with a good 9mm bullet. People ain’t shooting bears with the damn things and if you can make a lower recoiling faster shooting gun work the same then why try a 40?

IC B2

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by jimmyp
Had a guy try to trade me a like new Sig 226 in 40SW for a gen 4 21 yesterday, those that have them in my neck of the woods are trying to dump them. Every thing I see points to decreasing interest in the 40, and it dying off a lot. I am sure there will be some that won’t give it up due to some misperception of its effectiveness, but by and large you get about the same thing with a good 9mm bullet. People ain’t shooting bears with the damn things and if you can make a lower recoiling faster shooting gun work the same then why try a 40?

Don't know, do know my 226 40 tacops isn't going anywhere, it's a smooth running accurate pistol, as far as 9/40/45, larger calibers make larger holes, it's simple mathematics.

Trump Won!
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by jwp475

Dam TRH if a 40 S&W recoil is a problem for you to hold on to, I suggest a better diet and strength and conditioning program ASAP

It's a matter of noticing the difference between the level of effort necessary to keep the support hand firmly in place while shooting the Glock 22 vs that for the Glock 17. Do you find that zero effort is required for both? If so, that's wonderful for you. The Justice League is looking for new members.

PS I notice no difference in this regard as between my Glock 30 (.45 ACP) and my Glock 17. The 30 requires no more concentration to keep the two-handed grip firmly together through the recoil impulse than does the 17. There's something about the .40 S&W, that many call "snappiness," that makes the difference in this regard. While the Glock 30 has at least as much force in its recoil impulse, it's not as "snappy."

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

It's a matter of noticing the difference between the level of effort necessary to keep the support hand firmly in place while shooting the Glock 22 vs that for the Glock 17. Do you find that zero effort is required for both? If so, that's wonderful for you. The Justice League is looking for new members.

I have no trouble keep both hands in my grip firmly together and rarely notice any difference in effort until I get into my big bore revolvers with hefty recoil. I've never noticed a problem with any service calibet.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

I have no trouble keep both hands in my grip firmly together and rarely notice any difference in effort until I get into my big bore revolvers with hefty recoil. I've never noticed a problem with any service calibet.

Enough people differ with you, it seems, to justify a switch to 9mm.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The reason the new cartridges fail is that everyone is too busy arguing about the imperceptible differences in the existing cartridges to notice them.

IC B3

J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by RufusG
The reason the new cartridges fail is that everyone is too busy arguing about the imperceptible differences in the existing cartridges to notice them.

And there it is, imperceptible differences in common SD cartridges, except of coarse the 25 Auto.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Enough people differ with you, it seems, to justify a switch to 9mm.

I'd hate to need one of those pussies to protect me if they could shoot any of the common self defense cartridges proficiently

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Hell I can't even perceive the so called muzzle flip that you cry about with the Sig P320 even with +P+ 147 grain ammo from Underwood

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by NH K9
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
I believe for personal protection, the 9mm and the 357/38Spl are pretty well dialed in. New ammo developments continue to make them better.

Particularly the 9mm, has economy of mass quantity. Probably will be the most popular defensive handgun chambering for a good time to come.

In short, it's tough to beat the 9mm at it's own game.

As much as I’m a proponent of the .357 sig for certain applications, overall you’re correct.

After doing a lot of side-by-side comparisons on vehicles, etc I still believe that for ‘my’ application the sig has some advantages. The advantages of 9mm cost outweighs it, though, when looking at the larger picture.

Thus, the 9mm professionally but I keep an identical gun in .357.

George......you're turning into "that" Chief, lol. I'mma get you those white shirts yet

One of the big drivers, as I remember it when we swapped from the 45 to the 357 Sig, more aptly big concerns were ammo prices until it was determined that cost differences between those two were essentially moot.

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
I have always looked at cartridge selection as what cartridge is going to be the best fight stopper with the worst ammo under the worst conditions. If a guy runs out of $30/ 20 9mm Gucci ammo, then what. 9mm ball ammunition is at the bottom of the list for me unless it’s the 147 FMJ FP.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by viking
I have always looked at cartridge selection as what cartridge is going to be the best fight stopper with the worst ammo under the worst conditions. If a guy runs out of $30/ 20 9mm Gucci ammo, then what. 9mm ball ammunition is at the bottom of the list for me unless it’s the 147 FMJ FP.

And not trying to be too funny or critical of a type of ammo that may only boast a 50% stop rating, just shoot em twice! smile

Trump Won!
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by viking
I have always looked at cartridge selection as what cartridge is going to be the best fight stopper with the worst ammo under the worst conditions...

THIS.

I carry the same pistol for farm chores, hunting backup etc. So it's going to be a 40 or 45, because plastic guns have spoiled me thanks to their comparatively light weight, durable finishes and mag capacity that precludes the need for me to carry a reload- most days. I also like the fact that the bigger calibers kill well with garden variety flat cast or FMJ loads. Hell the only time I stoke the PPQ with HST 230 +P is when the wife & I have a day or evening out.

The FBI chose the 9mm for their own reasons and then wrote a summary justification for their choice. A lot of LE admins and police boards are lemmings. They're going lock step with the Bureau whether it makes sense or not.

What everyone else carries is of no concern to me. If it's a 9mm you're comfortable shooting, it's probably enough. It's basically a 38 special with decent bullets- and lots of them.

Last edited by SargeMO; 01/26/20.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U

Maybe everyone isn't as "manly" as you. I've heard you and others brag about how big you are. Maybe you should give some consideration to those with smaller physiques or more age.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by UPhiker

Maybe everyone isn't as "manly" as you. I've heard you and others brag about how big you are. Maybe you should give some consideration to those with smaller physiques or more age.

My son was shooting full power 475 Linbaugh loads when he was 11 years old. Unless one has some physical handicap they should easily be able to handle and shoot any service pistol in any service cartridge. This doesnt take a he man

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by UPhiker

My son was shooting full power 475 Linbaugh loads when he was 11 years old. Unless one has some physical handicap they should easily be able to handle and shoot any service pistol in any service cartridge. This doesnt take a he man

Where did anyone here say they couldn't shoot it? I can shoot a Glock 22 all day. The issue is the amount of concentration required to keep a 100% locked up two-handed grip from round to round during fast stings of fire. With one, a higher degree of attention to it is required than for the other. Whether you know it or not, you are exerting x-degree of effort to maintain a locked up two-handed grip whether you're shooting 9mm or .40 S&W. You've just been doing it so long that you may be unaware of it (it's become second nature for you to exert said effort). The laws of physics dictate that a harder kicking handgun will require more effort in that regard than a lighter kicking handgun. No one said "can't." That's your addition to this conversation, because you're a .40 S&W fanboy, and can't stand to hear anything but praise for it.

Page 6 of 12 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (007FJ, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 16penny, 02bfishn, 1minute, 61 invisible), 2,492 guests, and 1,317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,440
Posts18,470,877
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.