Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Guys,

I have shot zillions of the Varmint Nightmares myself...

this is the first time in memory I've had issues with them grouping..

and the rifle has the right twist...

could be the powder, but its performing well with other loads and rifles..

and the primers are S& B which are pretty consistent.. even tho, I see more frequent duds with it
than say CCI, or WIn or Federal...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

GB1

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Seafire
Guys,

I have shot zillions of the Varmint Nightmares myself...

this is the first time in memory I've had issues with them grouping..

and the rifle has the right twist...

could be the powder, but its performing well with other loads and rifles..

and the primers are S& B which are pretty consistent.. even tho, I see more frequent duds with it
than say CCI, or WIn or Federal...

Last time I had that kind of an issue it was loose scope mounts.....

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Naw the scope mounts were checked...they are tight....

I don't think the scope checked out either... its a Weaver V 9 on top..

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

S
S
Originally Posted by Seafire
I was over at the range today, and shot a Stevens 22.250, loaded with 17.5 grains of Blue Dot., and the bullets were some 55 grain Varmint Nightmares...

this rifle has been fed 17.5 grains of Blue Dot with 40 grain VMaxes for the last several months..just for going to the range and putting some rounds down the barrel....usually 10 rounds of this combo, the 40 grain VMaxes, give me dime sized hole at 100 yds...

The same load today with the Varmint Nightmares in 55 grains, were all over the target ( 8/ 1/2 x 11 sheet of paper, targets down loaded off the internet...)..that concerned me.. the 10 rounds loaded with the 40 V Max did the usual dime sized hole...

Loading up the same load with 55 grain VMax tonight, just to compare to see if it is the bullet weight or not...

was also going to load up 10 rounds with a Speer 50 grain TNT...just to compare...

was surprised to see the Varmint Nightmare not having that good of a showing...it was out of a batch of 500 bullets, bought in bulk....

who knows....what's going on...gotta put that Timney trigger in that Stevens I have had for 6 months now...

I have not shot Blue Dot loads but I question using a bullet almost 40% heavier but you did not reduce the powder. You couldn't make that kind of change using standard loads.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Well since you have not shot or used Blue Dot loads, one could understand your logic in stating your question..

however, Blue Dot does not perform like normal rifle powders perform...

Max charge with Blue Dot in the 22.250, the max safe load is 19.5 grains, regardless of the bullet weight, from 30 grains to 63 grains....I've worked up each bullet weight, from minimum to maximum loads.. and they are all over the internet and have been for 15 years or more now... especially starting with the 223, and then the 22.250...and they have been tested extensively...

IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by SSV1761982
I have not shot Blue Dot loads but I question using a bullet almost 40% heavier but you did not reduce the powder. You couldn't make that kind of change using standard loads.

Although you are new here, you may well be a very accomplished handloader. But if you will stand still and listen, you will learn from the years of work guys like Seafire have put into specialty loads like with Blue Dot.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

664 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 1beaver_shooter, 204guy, 1badf350, 68 invisible), 2,699 guests, and 1,449 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,609
Posts18,492,430
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.