Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
Can anyone offer advice on driving to AK through Canada while toting some ammo, primers, and powder?

Does this trip (from SD to AK) count as their "in-transit"

Personal exemptions

Certain types and quantities of explosives (see table below) can be imported, exported or transported in transit without a permit if the following conditions are met:

a. the explosive is imported, exported, or transported in transit for personal use and not for commercial purposes;
b. the explosive enters or leaves Canada with the person importing or exporting it—or, if transported in transit, it remains with the person transporting it at all times;
c. in the case of small arms cartridges, the cartridges do not include a tracer, incendiary or similar military component or device; and
d. the quantity of the explosive being imported, exported and transported in transit is not more than the quantity set out in the table.

Ammunition seems clear enough, but not sure about the rest.

Any individual can import up to 5,000 rounds of small arms cartridges into Canada without an import permit if they are for personal use (i.e., not for resale). If you plan to resell the cartridges or to import more than 5,000 rounds, you need an import permit. Similarly, you can export and transport in-transit up to 5,000 rounds of small arms cartridges for personal use without an export and transport in-transit permit, but you need a permit if you plan to resell the cartridges or to export and transport in-transit more than 5,000 rounds.

https://www.nrcan.gc.ca/our-natural...ting-exporting-transporting-transit/9907

I looked on a site, but it isn't all clear to me what qualifies for what.

GB1

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Call both Canada, and Us customs. Better still, email, and print the reply.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Good advice, Richard. Always ask the proper authority.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
As above, but it should.

Worry more about the asswhole US side than the Canucks.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Canadian Customs allows 5,000 rnds ammo, 10,000 primers, 8 Kilos 17lbs) powder as of 2 yrs ago when
I moved out of Alaska.
It changes frequently so it's best to check, They can be pretty contrary at times.

Last edited by sbsmith; 03/14/20.
IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I have taken firearms and ammo into and out of Canada for many years, it was easy before 9/11 but things have changed dramatically now especially on the US side. Depending on the US Customs agent you encounter he may,or may not, give you a hassle about firearms and ammo. On the Canadian side I have not had issues.

On one of my recent trips I got hassled coming back into the US after a match in Canada, the US Customs agent was adamant that I could not bring my left over ammo into the US because I had no proof that it had been taken out of the US by me, I finally got a supervisor and resolved it. But the next trip before entering Canada I stopped at US Customs and registered all of my ammo on a 4457 form as proof that I had it when I left the US. The Customs agent was adamant that I did not need to do that and that he had never heard of anyone registering ammo on the 4457 - it is a good thing that I did because when entering back into the US I encountered another over zealous agent who was insistent that I had to have proof of prior ownership of the ammo.

You will also need to list your firearms and other items such as scopes, cameras, etc as proof of ownership prior to entering Canada.

Also you will need to register your fireams with Canadian Customs prior to taking them into Canada. For info on that go the Canadian Firearms Centre on line, it is a simple painless process.

My advice is that anything of value should be listed on a 4457 and signed off by a US Customs agent prior to taking it out of the country - a little hassle upfront but it can save you a lot of time and frustration if you encounter the wrong US Customs agent when re-entering the US.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by drover
I have taken firearms and ammo into and out of Canada for many years, it was easy before 9/11 but things have changed dramatically now especially on the US side. Depending on the US Customs agent you encounter he may,or may not, give you a hassle about firearms and ammo. On the Canadian side I have not had issues.

On one of my recent trips I got hassled coming back into the US after a match in Canada, the US Customs agent was adamant that I could not bring my left over ammo into the US because I had no proof that it had been taken out of the US by me, I finally got a supervisor and resolved it. But the next trip before entering Canada I stopped at US Customs and registered all of my ammo on a 4457 form as proof that I had it when I left the US. The Customs agent was adamant that I did not need to do that and that he had never heard of anyone registering ammo on the 4457 - it is a good thing that I did because when entering back into the US I encountered another over zealous agent who was insistent that I had to have proof of prior ownership of the ammo.

You will also need to list your firearms and other items such as scopes, cameras, etc as proof of ownership prior to entering Canada.

Also you will need to register your fireams with Canadian Customs prior to taking them into Canada. For info on that go the Canadian Firearms Centre on line, it is a simple painless process.

My advice is that anything of value should be listed on a 4457 and signed off by a US Customs agent prior to taking it out of the country - a little hassle upfront but it can save you a lot of time and frustration if you encounter the wrong US Customs agent when re-entering the US.

drover

The regulations change with the shift change!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

181 members (2ndwind, 10gaugemag, 338reddog, 450yukon, 1_deuce, 45_100, 34 invisible), 2,254 guests, and 1,060 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,704
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.