Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 12 1 2 9 10 11 12
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Per Jim in Idaho...

Good practice is to never leave firearms from shooting position unattended and NEVER go downrange UNARMED.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
GB1

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

In Dr Franklin's book a complete forensic account the statement written by agent Mireles says they were using the weapon they were qualified to use by the FBI. They were in a rolling stakeout and the agents that were qualified with submachine guns couldn't get there fast enough.

Agent Mireless also stated that the suspects were shooting back and moving making them a difficult target and that they were hit each time they exposed themselves.

My point here is hits are much more difficult when you're in the line of fire

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

"Heads up gentlemen, these are bullets, not sh*t turds !" (Haut la tête messieurs, la mitraille ce n'est pas de la merde !).

Colonel Lepic, Grenadiers a Cheval - Battle of Eylau 1807.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jwp475

In Dr Franklin's book a complete forensic account the statement written by agent Mireles says they were using the weapon they were qualified to use by the FBI. They were in a rolling stakeout and the agents that were qualified with submachine guns couldn't get there fast enough.

Agent Mireless also stated that the suspects were shooting back and moving making them a difficult target and that they were hit each time they exposed themselves.

My point here is hits are much more difficult when you're in the line of fire

Amen to all that. I believe the Silvertip 'almost heart shot' was delivered at roughly 30 yards. The agents shot pretty well for being under incoming rifle fire.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
My point to bringing this up wasn’t what went wrong, it was the fact that Matix was hit twice early in the fight in the head and neck by a 357 mag revolver to only be knocked unconscious, Platt had an initial hit with 9mm that punctured a lung and stopped just short of his heart which is credited with being the fatal (or should have been) shot. Matix would survive and rejoin the fight till 2 9mm rounds 1 hitting the spine one just missing. Platt continued until eventually succumbing to the initial wound or the 10 others. To this day the FBI still can’t explain how both were able to continue the fight after the initial wounds.

So the argument of which is better 10mm, 9mm, 45acp or 357 mag and 38+P is moot is it not?

Swifty
IC B2

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Swifty52
My point to bringing this up wasn’t what went wrong, it was the fact that Matix was hit twice early in the fight in the head and neck by a 357 mag revolver to only be knocked unconscious, Platt had an initial hit with 9mm that punctured a lung and stopped just short of his heart which is credited with being the fatal (or should have been) shot. Matix would survive and rejoin the fight till 2 9mm rounds 1 hitting the spine one just missing. Platt continued until eventually succumbing to the initial wound or the 10 others. To this day the FBI still can’t explain how both were able to continue the fight after the initial wounds.

So the argument of which is better 10mm, 9mm, 45acp or 357 mag and 38+P is moot is it not?

Matrix was hit in the head with a 38 Special +P 158 lead semi wadcutter hollow point not a 357 magnum at least not according to Dr. Franklin's forensic report.
The bullet stopped against his spine, not having enough penetration to sever the vertebrae

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by SheriffJoe

Per Jim in Idaho...

Good practice is to never leave firearms from shooting position unattended and NEVER go downrange UNARMED.

a friend of mine use to go shooting in hogg canyon down by patagonia, i.e. mexican border.
left his gun in the tailgate of truck, went downrange with wife to check targets, looked back, herd of illegals at the truck.
were wanting water, no harm no fowl, but he quite going to hogg canyon to shoot.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jwp475

Matrix was hit in the head with a 38 Special +P 158 lead semi wadcutter hollow point not a 357 magnum at least not according to Dr. Franklin's forensic report.
The bullet stopped against his spine, not having enough penetration to sever the vertebrae

The report I read states that it was McNeil was the agent who hit Matix in the head and neck.

McNeill returned fire with six shots from his revolver, hitting Matix with two rounds in the head and neck. Matix apparently was knocked unconscious by the hits and fired no more rounds.

Gordon McNeill: Smith & Wesson Model 19 .357 Magnum revolver (not FBI issue, but personally owned .357's and .38's could be approved for carry by supervisors, same applies with Mireles's Model 686), six rounds .38 Special +P fired. Seriously wounded by .223 gunshot wounds to the right hand and neck.

Swifty
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Never. Due to the supposed failures of ammo in this shootout, we have much better ammo now in each round, than we did back then. Sometimes the discussion gets stupid, but it is never without some merit.

The old stopping power stats that both Mas Ayoob and Evan Marshall compiled ended with the 40 at the top of the heap and the 357 second after the 357 had dominated it for years. Other rounds, such as the 44 Mag. and 10mm didn't have enough shootings to be considered. Ed Sanow added his index with predictors and rated such rounds and the 44 Mag. and 10 were off-the-charts. 9mm +P+ was ranked very, very high. If anything could be taken from that whole thing, it was that velocity kills. It also appeared to give the lie to Cooper's assertion that 45 Ball killed "nine times out of ten". Actual real world results were like six of ten with 9mm being five-so almost as effective. FBI lab junkies were convinced the whole key is penetration. If that were the case, Ball would rule.

J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
cooper was a colorful old fart, but just like many deer hunters I know, he believed in what he used that had worked and just like deer hunters, fishermen, and other liars often embellished the truth his disciples clung too. With something like 50% or better of people surviving pistol shootings regardless of the diameter of the hit, we can all agree (I think) that pistols are relatively low powered devices compared to even a simple 55 grain 5.56 projectile at 3000 fps. So one ponders if the Miami shootings were no more than a testament to the supposition that "pistols are relatively low powered and many people survive being shot". On the other hand, better bullets are available now that make a larger hole and still penetrate 13-14 inches. While no one can do anything about producing a pistol that shoots a 3000 FPS projectile they can do something about making it expand a caliber or two and still going 13 inches deep. People believe what they want to believe, if they are emotionally invested into something you could prove your point 6 ways to Sunday and they still would not believe.it. Look at all the damn Moslems blowing themselves up because they actually believe their getting 70 virgins or some such horseshit. In closing there are those who will drag a cocked and locked 5 inch solid steel 1911 45ACP around with them their entire life, provided they shoot it and use good bullets they are well protected, there are others that will stuff a plastic G19 with 124 grain gold dots into their belt and call it good, they too are as well protected as the fellow with the 1911. At the end of the day all factors considered they are about equal in performance.

IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I’m not putting cooper on a pedestal ... but serious question ..
who are you to weigh in on anything he taught or says being false , embellished , or plain incorrect ? (Or anyone else of his ilk ? )

You’re a dude on the internet .

Don’t take my comment too personally

You are still missing the chicken vs. egg thing though ... where you argue all service cartridges perform the same because they all penetrate 13-16 inches (or whatever ) . They do that because fbi test performance is selling ammo these days , and manufactures care tailoring all their projectiles and loads to fall in that spec , therefore making unlike things , more alike .

Last edited by jmd025; 01/29/20.

Rabid Creedmoorians ring my doorbell ...
as I open it a crack they speak :
"Do you have a moment to talk about our Lord and Savior , 6.5Creed?"
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by jimmyp
cooper was a colorful old fart, but just like many deer hunters I know, he believed in what he used that had worked and just like deer hunters, fishermen, and other liars often embellished the truth his disciples clung too. With something like 50% or better of people surviving pistol shootings regardless of the diameter of the hit, we can all agree (I think) that pistols are relatively low powered devices compared to even a simple 55 grain 5.56 projectile at 3000 fps. So one ponders if the Miami shootings were no more than a testament to the supposition that "pistols are relatively low powered and many people survive being shot". On the other hand, better bullets are available now that make a larger hole and still penetrate 13-14 inches. While no one can do anything about producing a pistol that shoots a 3000 FPS projectile they can do something about making it expand a caliber or two and still going 13 inches deep. People believe what they want to believe, if they are emotionally invested into something you could prove your point 6 ways to Sunday and they still would not believe.it. Look at all the damn Moslems blowing themselves up because they actually believe their getting 70 virgins or some such horseshit. In closing there are those who will drag a cocked and locked 5 inch solid steel 1911 45ACP around with them their entire life, provided they shoot it and use good bullets they are well protected, there are others that will stuff a plastic G19 with 124 grain gold dots into their belt and call it good, they too are as well protected as the fellow with the 1911. At the end of the day all factors considered they are about equal in performance.

Well Jimmy 66% of the agents that were hit with a 3000 FPS projectile survived.

You also miss the point with Cooper his experience was with FMJ bullets in semi auto pistols

J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
I don't take your comment personally, I am just a dude on the internet. Then on the other hand I am not making money saying and doing what I am saying and doing, and cooper did make money (ball ammo 90% lethal!!), his gospel was the 45 and the 1911, and he preached that gospel making a buck or two in the process while degrading everything that he did not believe in..don't you think he might have been a bit prejudiced? Then looking at today's relevant data, my opinion has at least some merit to it, in that Cooper's opinion even if it was 100% honest was based on the fact that he did not have time travel so he was stuck with the bullets of his time, we still being here and current find that modern bullets have made a difference. Finally what made Jeff Cooper any different than any other gun writer? They all publish mostly pulp fiction that gets us to want to buy this or that gun. As a lad I heard a story that a 45ACP hit to the pinky would knock you down, and saw cowboy movies with some folks flying backward when hit with the 45 Long Colt. All grown up now I still run into people that buy a 45 acp thinking its the most powerful handgun in existence and buy that over a 9mm cause its more deadly.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Which brings us full circle to what someone said earlier “get out and shoot some animals with handguns and you might see a difference in the service calibers “ instead of having nothing to go on but tv westerns and jelly videos .

Don’t aim for their pinky though

Rabid Creedmoorians ring my doorbell ...
as I open it a crack they speak :
"Do you have a moment to talk about our Lord and Savior , 6.5Creed?"
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
It’s tough to do a direct comparison of cartridges by the reactions of people being shot. Some people are a lot tougher than others. A minor cut or wound will cause some to fall to the ground and go into shock. I’ve seen others hardly react.

One case I witnessed, a guy was shot between the eyes. He was the one who flagged me down and described what happened. I talked to another guy who had just been run through (in the abdomen and out his back) with a bayonet. He was walking and talking and calmly told me what happened. I saw a guy get shot in the chest with a 308 rifle and survived. My cousin got shot twice in the back of the head and survived. You could make a case that the weapons used were inadequate although most guys would have been stopped and would have died.

Is a 150 grain 308 inadequate...is a bullet between eyes and into the center of the brain not adequate... hell if I know. I do know that deer react more when shot with a 45 than with a 9. Or maybe the deer I shot with a 9 or a 38 were just tougher than the average deer

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Or we could just pay attention to the 1000’s of tabulated shootings that are cataloged by result and caliber.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Or we could just pay attention to the 1000’s of tabulated shootings that are cataloged by result and caliber.

You could do that and find yourself with one of the outliers. The problem I have with only a 10% difference in performance is what if I need that 10%.

Last edited by doubletap; 01/29/20.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
H
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
H
Regarding Cooper, Askins or Jordan, or people I have personally known from the last great war; the one confidence they had to share was being sent down a literal hole with a pretty [bleep] light and a 1911.

But hey, any of us on the internet or those in a ballistics lab are tougher, more experienced and have all the advantage of theoretical nonsense..
The best part is you get to call bullshit on a veteran of ACTUAL combat.

No combat veteran I've met or read from three wars has ever had anything detrimental to say about the 45 ACP and ball ammo, ever. That outnumbers the FBI agents I've known or in print actually using the round and bullet 6 to none.

Last edited by HawkI; 01/29/20.
H
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
H

Or you could ignore the data of two world wars and countless other conflicts over the last 125 years and find solace in those "tabulations" by a government hack agency....

H
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
H
I don't take your comment personally, I am just a dude on the internet. Then on the other hand I am not making money saying and doing what I am saying and doing, and cooper did make money (ball ammo 90% lethal!!), his gospel was the 45 and the 1911, and he preached that gospel making a buck or two in the process while degrading everything that he did not believe in..don't you think he might have been a bit prejudiced? Then looking at today's relevant data, my opinion has at least some merit to it, in that Cooper's opinion even if it was 100% honest was based on the fact that he did not have time travel so he was stuck with the bullets of his time, we still being here and current find that modern bullets have made a difference. Finally what made Jeff Cooper any different than any other gun writer? They all publish mostly pulp fiction that gets us to want to buy this or that gun. As a lad I heard a story that a 45ACP hit to the pinky would knock you down, and saw cowboy movies with some folks flying backward when hit with the 45 Long Colt. All grown up now I still run into people that buy a 45 acp thinking its the most powerful handgun in existence and buy that over a 9mm cause its more deadly.

Jeff Cooper FOS? How do you know this to be true?

Page 11 of 12 1 2 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

611 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 1936M71, 160user, 69 invisible), 2,291 guests, and 1,136 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,667
Posts18,513,075
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.