Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
I worked for a LARGE hard drive company in their R&D facility. All of a sudden a group of Chinese people from the same company show up to "shadow" us for about a month.

Uppers told us they were here to see how our processes could be used to help improve the Asian markets.

It only took a day or two before we realized they were here to replace us and I wish I had a picture of our VP's face when confronted during an all hands meeting!!

After his long, drawn out song and dance he thought he had our division calmed to the point of acceptance. WRONG!

Skip about 3 months and then we were all called to an emergency meeting and that is when they dropped the bomb that our division was merging with asia and many would be let go.

They gave us 3 months to find a transfer internally or if we stayed the full 3 months and left we would get a fairly substantial bonus along with some other incentives.

Bottom line is I witnessed some of the most experienced and talented engineers in that company get replaced by a fresh out of school Chinese engineer.

Our manager told us their justification was that for every American engineer they could hire 6-8 Chinese.

Glad to say about a year later they came to realize that the number of engineers they hired couldn't make up for decades of experience!

Elk Country

"I refuse to waste my common sense on those who have been educated beyond their intelligence"

All you need to know about Democrats is they call American citizens "Deplorables" and illegal immigrants "Dreamers"!

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Every even little grocery store used to have a trained meat cutter.
Not many retail meat cutters left

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Way mo betta to be indomitable than to be irreplaceable.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Started moving machinery (factories) in the early 70's all the big corporations, aircraft, steel, printing, racing the works. All gone now. Johnw's post reminded of all the racing wheel plants I moved machinery for. American, Western, Halibrand and another I can't remember the name of. Don't believe any are left The old Uniroyal tire corporation The Citadel, Rocketdyne, Rockwell, Hugh's Aircraft, Hugh's Helicopter. the old Martin Marietta plant. both Bethlehem and Kaiser Steel Movie studios. Too many to list but they employed millions. A lot years and a lot of old memories.

Phil

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by wabigoon
I've seen people doing a job so well, I thought they could never be replaced.

The plain truth is we can all be replaced. Time marches on.
Yup... Last car dealer I worked at the owner thought this new, young ambitious kid would do his job AND mine.. I got laid off.. Two weeks later the kid was burned out and left.. The owner called me, acknowledge he'd made a mistake and asked me to come back.. I very politely told him 'no'...

Six months later I'm working on firearms and thinking this was the best thing I've ever done.. And I STILL have occasional nightmares about the car biz... laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
IC B2

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by Greyghost
Started moving machinery (factories) in the early 70's all the big corporations, aircraft, steel, printing, racing the works. All gone now. Johnw's post reminded of all the racing wheel plants I moved machinery for. American, Western, Halibrand and another I can't remember the name of. Don't believe any are left The old Uniroyal tire corporation The Citadel, Rocketdyne, Rockwell, Hugh's Aircraft, Hugh's Helicopter. the old Martin Marietta plant. both Bethlehem and Kaiser Steel Movie studios. Too many to list but they employed millions. A lot years and a lot of old memories.

Phil

Iirc, Gayghost, under your pal we lost about 65,000 mfg companies, many moving to China, including his bud who headed up GE and who headed up his US jobs recovery program.

https://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/nov/30/no-obama-you-presided-over-loss-manufacturing-jobs/

Your buds the Clinton's, Piglosi, Feinstein, Biden, Kerry and others sold out the US to move the lead of world power to China, which is what the whole purpose of the TRUMP/CHINA trade talks and tariffs are about and the USMCA trade agreement your pos commie buds worked to prevent.

The China tariffs your commie dimocraps and MSM buds were crapping themselves about and predicting the end of the world about successfully cut the profits of American companies in China resulting in them leaving China in droves and returning their companies to the US, thanks to TRUMP.

No thanks to you and your subversive buds, Trump has shifted the power of world economic leadership from China back to the US.

Remember when your traitor POTUS bill Clinton was giving billions to NK to build nuclear weapons and ICBMs? Christopher Warren would not allow Bill to sell our missile guidance tech for money for his campaign to China from his bud, Bernard Swartz (loral space and orbital science) so bill got the business transferred to Ron Browns cabinet position. Sold the tech and then we had the greatest govt scandal in US history called China gate.

When investigations started involving Ron Brown, Bill had him take a fact finding trip to Eastern Europe where his plane unfortunately happened to blow up in midair, killing lots of innocent folks.

FF to your bud the muzzy Zero releasing the $150 Billion to the worlds largest terrorist nation for their development of nuclear weapons. He didnt even stipulate restrictions against their development of ICBMs which are sitting on their launch pads in Iran currently.

The deep state NWO plan your traitorus bastids are working to effect is called project 21, iirc. That calls for nuclear war to drastically reduce the worlds human population in a plan designed to affect the Cabals survival.

That's the reason your sweetheart, Hillary, said she would shoot Putins jets from the sky over Syria. They are trying to start a nuclear war.

Now, I could go on about why U1 deal was to get uranium to the cabals CIA to build suitcase nucs to ship to the US in Chinas metal sea containers on ships that are to dock in Chinese owned ports in the US in Ca and Fl but I think folks get the idea. That involves the reason Zero and Hill didnt send relief to the amb in Benghazi. They needed him dead. Others were told to stand down to let him die within the plan.

I think folks can see why I consider you to be a no good lowlife commie pos.

Last edited by jaguartx; 01/28/20.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Hell, we're all being replaced by 3rd world orcs. Demographics is destiny. Of course it's the worst kind of racist to notice such things.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I work in the tech industry, nothing lasts more than a few years. The longest gig I had was seven years at one job, but lasted 20 years in one company. I probably had eight jobs in that company in 20 years. I've always done the same basic engineering stuff. The money is good so you just move on to the next gig. The life of a tech engineer .... but I've done worse for a lot less money. I've started doing real estate as a side gig so when things go I can still work for myself.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by elkcountry
I worked for a LARGE hard drive company in their R&D facility. All of a sudden a group of Chinese people from the same company show up to "shadow" us for about a month.

Uppers told us they were here to see how our processes could be used to help improve the Asian markets.

It only took a day or two before we realized they were here to replace us and I wish I had a picture of our VP's face when confronted during an all hands meeting!!

After his long, drawn out song and dance he thought he had our division calmed to the point of acceptance. WRONG!

Skip about 3 months and then we were all called to an emergency meeting and that is when they dropped the bomb that our division was merging with asia and many would be let go.

They gave us 3 months to find a transfer internally or if we stayed the full 3 months and left we would get a fairly substantial bonus along with some other incentives.

Bottom line is I witnessed some of the most experienced and talented engineers in that company get replaced by a fresh out of school Chinese engineer.

Our manager told us their justification was that for every American engineer they could hire 6-8 Chinese.

Glad to say about a year later they came to realize that the number of engineers they hired couldn't make up for decades of experience!

Elk Country

Glad that it worked out that way.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I worked underground nuclear test for 30 years, the 10 years doing Security Intrusion Protection. I can't remember how many managers the company brought in and asked me to teach them all about underground testing..They all lasted about one test and were gone. Couldn't hack it. The last time I was out recruiting a new boss. I had him set up for an interview when the VP came to my office and told me to put it on hold.Two days later they gave me the job.

One of the PHD 's had gone to his office and asked why they were looking for manager when they already had someone employed that was qualified.

Here I was with a two year associate degree, managing 50+ people from lab techs, to engineers, to PHD's. One snot nosed young engineer told me he wouldn't work for me because I could not teach him anything. I taught him something when I sent his a$$ down the road. Maybe not replaceable, but twice in my career management begged me to come back and work for them. From the time I was 21 until I retired at 60, I only worked for two companies.I was never laid off, never fired, never took one penny in unemployment insurance. I quit the first job after ten years to go to a company that respected hard work, good ethics, and experience instead of a piece of paper.

Last edited by saddlesore; 01/28/20.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B3

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Hahaha. Great story.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Some thing to ponder grave yards are full of indispensable people..

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Any time a company offers any kind of training, take it!

Often it comes down to who has the most qualifications on paper. Doesn't matter who is the best person for the job.

Plenty of people here, myself included, have been passed over for promotions, raises, and layoffs. This is solely due to the right kind of check mark by your name. Doesn't make it right nor fair.

For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat."

2 Thessalonians 3:10
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
If a job is worth doing -
Well, it's worth doing.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Worked for a Fortune 500 construction company for over 17 years (two jobs of 5 years each prior to that job). The engineering/design department had been trying to convince the owner and the company president to swap over to CAD and that we "dinosaurs" could learn to run a computer a lot faster than a tech-school grad could learn the business we were in. They eventually concurred. Moved and left that job when my bride accepted an upper level management position in her company requiring a relocation. I remained unemployed by choice for 3 months after the move. Got bored and found another job in a related field and worked there for 3 years. Got hooked up with an engineering company and left the 3 year-long job. Went out on my own doing a lot of work for the company I left after 17 years and stayed with that until I retired 2 years ago. Working for myself was a lot better financially than any other job I ever had and worked about 1/2 the hours per year. Except for the self-imposed 3 month layoff, I went from one job to the next with a maximum of a weekend break - over 43 years. The point of this long missive is - it can be done on your terms without taking unemployment, welfare, being fired or laid off. I think I may just have been extremely lucky . . .

Someday I hope to be the person my dogs think I am . . .
The only true cost of having a dog is its death.
Someone once said "a nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."
Shiloh Sharps . . . there is no substitute.
NRA Endowment Member
U
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
U
I happen to be an expert in my field with few peers. I try to keep managers ignorant so they don't know enough to consider replacing me. However, they could get by with someone who doesn't really know what I know or is able to perform at my level. I prefer they remain so ignorant they are scared to try.

Good management would never consider replacing me.
Bad management has made the mistake of not giving me incentive to stick around. I have heard about regrets and loss but its not like everything completely fell apart.

So, yeah, anyone can be replaced whether it is a good idea or not.

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Oops

My bad

That was supposed to go on the Amish thread

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
If you die on the job, Your job will be posted before your obituary !!

And these zombies line up and eat from the media’s trough

Cowards CANNOT be free. Nor should they be.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
To those who think they are irreplacable I say this - We are all replaceable.

Take a glass of water, put your finger in it, remove your finger and see how big of a hole is left when you remove your finger from the water.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

662 members (160user, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 67 invisible), 2,703 guests, and 1,425 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,099
Posts18,483,079
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.