-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
General John Henry Parker is best known for his role as the commander of the Gatling Gun detachment during the Spanish-American War. In early 1898, then Lieutenant Parker, a recent graduate of the United States Military Academy, was placed in charge of training soldiers in the use of machine guns.

His detachment was a dumping ground for soldiers not fit to serve in other areas, and at that time, the idea of using machine guns in battle was of little value to the US Army. However, Parker believed machine guns could play a vital role in battle.

In this time period, large artillery had to be transported by draft animals. This was not always a feasible possibility given the terrain, the time frame, and the fact that animals could be killed by enemy fire. Lt. Parker was able to see the purpose of machine guns as a replacement for artillery in battle, especially at ranges closer than 1500 yards.

He petitioned the US Army for a chance to build a machine gun detachment that could be used for offensive battle tactics, and was granted permission to put a unit together shortly before being sent to Cuba during the Spanish-American War.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Lt. Parker was given four brand new 1895 Gatling guns of .30 caliber. The Gatling gun works by gravity feeding bullets into the top and dropping shells out the bottom, while the shaft was turned by a hand-crank. The gun’s swivel mount and rapid fire allowed the shooter to aim and shoot over long distances of up to 2000 yards, protecting the shooter from enemy fire by artillery. The only disadvantage of the Gatling gun, aside from a lack of training on the weapon, was that it was prone to jamming.

At the start of the Spanish-American War, Lt. Parker and his Gatling Gun Detachment were assigned to the 5th Army Corps. It would be the first time the US Army would use machine guns as an offensive weapon during battle. On July 1, 1898, the Battle of San Juan Hill began early in the morning. Theodore Roosevelt’s Rough Riders and the Buffalo Soldiers of the 10th Calvary and the 24th Infantry Regiments were attempting to take San Juan Hill and Kettle Hill. The US Army was off to an early loss on that first day of the battle. It was not until the afternoon, when Lt. Parker positioned his Gatling guns and opened fire, that the battle went in favor of the US Army.4

The US artillery used black powder and the Spanish Army used smokeless powder, allowing the Spanish Army to see and fire upon the US artillery. The Gatling guns, however, were smokeless.

Lt. Parker was ordered to move his guns as close to the battle as he could. He moved them to El Paso, the southern end of the area, where they could attack a blockhouse, the trenches, and the barbed wire entanglements of the Spanish Army. For eight-and-a-half minutes the Gatling guns fired continuously upon the Spanish, causing the soldiers to flee the trenches in an attempt to reach safety. Teddy Roosevelt is known to have said that the sound of the Gatling guns “was most inspiring” to the US soldiers. The Gatling guns were re-positioned, and they fended off the Spanish counterattack.6 Parker’s soldiers and the Gatling guns were with the US soldiers during the entire siege, even down in the trenches.

Although the US lost three times the number of soldiers as the Spanish, supporting fire from the Gatling guns was crucial to the success of the Battle of San Juan. The artillery were only able to shoot about 270 fragments, while the Gatling guns were able to shoot with precision about 1000 shots.8 For the first time in history, machine guns were used offensively in a battle and were able to successfully disable an opposing army’s artillery. Spanish Army General Jose Toral said in his official report that the Gatling guns and their fire power was a major reason for the Spanish surrender.

Lt. Parker was awarded the Silver Star for gallantry in action and was eventually promoted to general. He continued his military career by training other armies in Europe in the use of machine guns in warfare. Prior to the Spanish-American War, Parker believed that using machine guns in close battle would allow troops to advance under the protection of the machine guns, harming the enemy and improving the morale of US soldiers. This value of the machine gun had been proven.

https://stmuhistorymedia.org/gatling-gun-parker-and-the-battle-of-san-juan-hill/

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

GB1

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
That’s good info. Thanks!

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
The 1st Volunteer Cavalry suffered a 37-percent casualty rate, the highest of any unit in the entire Spanish-American War.

MOLON LABE

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
4 brand new 1895 Gatling guns of .30 caliber.

Cool. I’d thought they were all .45/70 up until they were replaced with the machine guns. Never knew they were made in .30/40 Krag. Bet that was one helluva improvement over the black powder .45/70s!

Lotta people speculate about what might’ve happened had Custer dragged a couple along up the Rosebud and down the Little Bighorn. Other than slowing the column down, and thereby missing his date with destiny, I doubt they’d have been useful at all. Modern movies all overlook how contemptible these guns were at that time. Hard to load, hard to fire accurately, constantly getting jammed on powder and soft brass cases, I’d have hated like hell to try to serve one while a couple thousand Sioux were intent on lifting my hair! eek
Good article, Bear. Thanks.
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
First time Gatling's were used offensively I believe.

MOLON LABE

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just got done watching "Two Mules For Sister Sarah".
In the finale scenes, the French troopers are using a period gatling gun on the Mexican Rebels. Its the ONLY realistic use of a gatling gun in any of the wedterns ive scene. The gunner is turning the crank slowly, the loader is feeding the magazines in the top of the gun, and tapping the mags to make sure the rounds fall into the gun as they should. Even ehen Clint uses it, he taps to mag with his left hand. The gun even skips fire occasionaly!
Most westerns wont bother to try to represent one realisticly. War Wagon, and Fistful of Dollars dont even show magazines in the guns! Evidently they're belt fed! grin
Watching The Man From the Alamo. 1836 Texas, single action Colts and cartrdge repeaters! I love Glenn Ford, but the directors and prop guys should do a little homework! grin
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by watch4bear
General John Henry Parker is best known for his role as the commander of the Gatling Gun detachment during the Spanish-American War. In early 1898, then Lieutenant Parker, a recent graduate of the United States Military Academy, was placed in charge of training soldiers in the use of machine guns.

His detachment was a dumping ground for soldiers not fit to serve in other areas, and at that time, the idea of using machine guns in battle was of little value to the US Army. However, Parker believed machine guns could play a vital role in battle.

In this time period, large artillery had to be transported by draft animals. This was not always a feasible possibility given the terrain, the time frame, and the fact that animals could be killed by enemy fire. Lt. Parker was able to see the purpose of machine guns as a replacement for artillery in battle, especially at ranges closer than 1500 yards.

He petitioned the US Army for a chance to build a machine gun detachment that could be used for offensive battle tactics, and was granted permission to put a unit together shortly before being sent to Cuba during the Spanish-American War.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Lt. Parker was given four brand new 1895 Gatling guns of .30 caliber. The Gatling gun works by gravity feeding bullets into the top and dropping shells out the bottom, while the shaft was turned by a hand-crank. The gun’s swivel mount and rapid fire allowed the shooter to aim and shoot over long distances of up to 2000 yards, protecting the shooter from enemy fire by artillery. The only disadvantage of the Gatling gun, aside from a lack of training on the weapon, was that it was prone to jamming.

At the start of the Spanish-American War, Lt. Parker and his Gatling Gun Detachment were assigned to the 5th Army Corps. It would be the first time the US Army would use machine guns as an offensive weapon during battle. On July 1, 1898, the Battle of San Juan Hill began early in the morning. Theodore Roosevelt’s Rough Riders and the Buffalo Soldiers of the 10th Calvary and the 24th Infantry Regiments were attempting to take San Juan Hill and Kettle Hill. The US Army was off to an early loss on that first day of the battle. It was not until the afternoon, when Lt. Parker positioned his Gatling guns and opened fire, that the battle went in favor of the US Army.4

The US artillery used black powder and the Spanish Army used smokeless powder, allowing the Spanish Army to see and fire upon the US artillery. The Gatling guns, however, were smokeless.

Lt. Parker was ordered to move his guns as close to the battle as he could. He moved them to El Paso, the southern end of the area, where they could attack a blockhouse, the trenches, and the barbed wire entanglements of the Spanish Army. For eight-and-a-half minutes the Gatling guns fired continuously upon the Spanish, causing the soldiers to flee the trenches in an attempt to reach safety. Teddy Roosevelt is known to have said that the sound of the Gatling guns “was most inspiring” to the US soldiers. The Gatling guns were re-positioned, and they fended off the Spanish counterattack.6 Parker’s soldiers and the Gatling guns were with the US soldiers during the entire siege, even down in the trenches.

Although the US lost three times the number of soldiers as the Spanish, supporting fire from the Gatling guns was crucial to the success of the Battle of San Juan. The artillery were only able to shoot about 270 fragments, while the Gatling guns were able to shoot with precision about 1000 shots.8 For the first time in history, machine guns were used offensively in a battle and were able to successfully disable an opposing army’s artillery. Spanish Army General Jose Toral said in his official report that the Gatling guns and their fire power was a major reason for the Spanish surrender.

Lt. Parker was awarded the Silver Star for gallantry in action and was eventually promoted to general. He continued his military career by training other armies in Europe in the use of machine guns in warfare. Prior to the Spanish-American War, Parker believed that using machine guns in close battle would allow troops to advance under the protection of the machine guns, harming the enemy and improving the morale of US soldiers. This value of the machine gun had been proven.

https://stmuhistorymedia.org/gatling-gun-parker-and-the-battle-of-san-juan-hill/

No mention of the privately purchased machine guns in 7X57 taken along by the Rough Riders?

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by watch4bear
First time Gatling's were used offensively I believe.

They were used offensively in the Battle of Ulundi, in 1879. The British formed up their infantry in a rectangular formation, with the Gatlings on the front, artillery all around, and advanced on the objective, Cetewayo's kraal. The Zulus attacked from various directions, and suffered massive casualties to volley fire from the rifles, rapid fire from the Gatlings and canister from the artillery, before the Zulus fled, chased by the supporting British and NNC cavalry. The British pressed their advance on to Ulundi, burning the Royal kraal to the ground.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 7mmbuster
4 brand new 1895 Gatling guns of .30 caliber.

Cool. I’d thought they were all .45/70 up until they were replaced with the machine guns. Never knew they were made in .30/40 Krag. Bet that was one helluva improvement over the black powder .45/70s!

Lotta people speculate about what might’ve happened had Custer dragged a couple along up the Rosebud and down the Little Bighorn. Other than slowing the column down, and thereby missing his date with destiny, I doubt they’d have been useful at all. Modern movies all overlook how contemptible these guns were at that time. Hard to load, hard to fire accurately, constantly getting jammed on powder and soft brass cases, I’d have hated like hell to try to serve one while a couple thousand Sioux were intent on lifting my hair! eek
Good article, Bear. Thanks.
7mm

There were 1” bore Gatling guns.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Custer couldn’t have been worse off than he was.

IC B3

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Wasn’t there a Gardner gun used in that old Charlton Heston Movie, Khartoum? Was on the boat best I remember.

Or was it a Nordenfeldt????

Last edited by kaywoodie; 02/02/20.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

578 members (1Longbow, 1minute, 1234, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugemag, 58 invisible), 2,449 guests, and 1,208 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,423
Posts18,470,700
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.