Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Tikka has a few more offerings this year in 300wm. Check out the Lite adjustable and Tact. Both have adjustable combs. I'm sure you can swap the rear pads to slightly adjust the LOP

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery - Thomas Jefferson
GB1

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Tikka, but 300 WSM.

The 300 WSM burns about 10-15 gr less powder and gives up about 50 fps to the 300 WM. But is proving to be more accurate and no animal will ever notice the 50 fps. Not many people using any 300 for long range target work any more, but all the 1000 yard records set with 300 WM were broken with 300 WSM before the surge in popularity of the 6.5 and 6mm cartridges.

Plus the combination of less powder burned and a little less speed gives you recoil that falls exactly 1/2 way between 30-06 and 300 WM. The WSM also does well with barrels as short as 22" while the 300 WM really needs 26". The difference in recoil is especially important in a lighter rifle like Tikka.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
If I wanted a 300 WM for a hunting rifle, and that's why it's important to have an intended purpose, I would give a different answer than If I just wanted to shoot holes in paper, or ring steel.
For a hunting rifle my choices would be a Ruger Mk II (preferably in a skeleton stock--Zytel), a Weatherby Vanguard, or a Winchester mod 70 Classic stainless. Maybe even a Kimber Montana.

I'm not a paper puncher exclusively so others can speak better to that, but you have my picks.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
About the last gun I want to touch off a 300 mag in would be a plasTikka.

G
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
Originally Posted by JMR40
Tikka, but 300 WSM.

The 300 WSM burns about 10-15 gr less powder and gives up about 50 fps to the 300 WM. But is proving to be more accurate and no animal will ever notice the 50 fps. Not many people using any 300 for long range target work any more, but all the 1000 yard records set with 300 WM were broken with 300 WSM before the surge in popularity of the 6.5 and 6mm cartridges.

Plus the combination of less powder burned and a little less speed gives you recoil that falls exactly 1/2 way between 30-06 and 300 WM. The WSM also does well with barrels as short as 22" while the 300 WM really needs 26". The difference in recoil is especially important in a lighter rifle like Tikka.

Although I see only a 3-5gr powder difference in the Hornady manual between the two cartridges I get your point. I had a 300 WSM in an Abolt years ago. I didn’t think the recoil was too terrible. Bad thing about 300 WSM is one round less capacity and reloading components seem scarce.

Truth sounds like hate to those who hate truth.
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have a couple of the Bergara Ridge's, one in 300 Win Mag. The HMR has a slightly heavier barrel profile but same trigger and action. The action is very smooth and the trigger is excellent. The Ridge I have in 270 Win had a factory trigger that came at 2 lbs...lower than factory says it goes. It has almost no creep and just a touch of over travel. The trigger on the 300 is about 2.5lbs and the same on creep and over travel. All Rem 700 aftermarket parts fit the Bergara's as well. They are heavier rifles but that helps to offset the recoil a bit. For all-around use they're hard to beat for the money...for a pure woods gun I'm with VaHillbilly as the Tikka's are light and handle well in tighter situations.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
sako 85 long range

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RedBeard308
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
What is your untended use?

"Without any concern to intended use..."

Doesn't mean I'm not curious or can't ask.

[Edit to add...]

Selecting a dragster for a commuter car or a Cooper Mini for off-road use wouldn't be very smart, but "without intended purpose" concerns there would be no reason not to do so.

Is the OP going to limit his use based on what he buys or will he be happier defining his needs and buying accordingly? I know what the answer would be for me.

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 01/30/20.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I broke in the barrel for someone using their Savage 110 high country. Pleasant to shoot and accurate given the clean one, shoot one process using cheap prvi ammo.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

G
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
Originally Posted by DV_Ramrod
I broke in the barrel for someone using their Savage 110 high country. Pleasant to shoot and accurate given the clean one, shoot one process using cheap prvi ammo.

I can't stop looking at this gun! Hows the action? Smooth for follow up shots? Hows the balance? DO TELL! lol

IC B3

G
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G

I can't stop looking at this gun! Hows the action? Smooth for follow up shots? Hows the balance? DO TELL! lol

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Bergara B14 HMR $815

Triggers and smooth action my priorities.

In keeping with the intent of the original post, I have owned several of these, including the 300 Win Mag. I have not found a factory rifle that has a smoother action and better trigger combination. Since the OP stated his question was stated without any consideration for intended use. In my opinion, unless you got a lemon or something significantly different than what I've experienced from the 5 I have owned, you should be pleased with the Bergara HMR.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Ruger Long Range Target would be my choice off that list. And off most lists, actually.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D

Recoil is in the realm of a .243 with the factory muzzle break. Action was fairly smooth and fed well from the detachable magazine. Balance was excellent with the Bushnell Forge scope, 20 MOA rail, and Warne mountain tech rings. The rifle included different height cheek combs and pad spacers which made fitting the rifle to the shooter easy. I’d buy one if I didn’t have an accurate 300 win mag already.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
What is your untended use?

Yeah, im also thinking he should have had the ruger m77mkII and Hawkeye on the list as well...

One can do much better

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
300 Mags are not for everyone, so, I "suggest" you go for the least expensive rifle that "has a good reputation for accuracy". Almost always a Savage of some kind. smile That way, you can decide if 'you" like it. If not, not too hard to have rebarreled to a 7mm Rem Mag or 257Wby, for instance. If you do like it, not to hard to trick it out even further...I have had great results from Remington 700s, not so great from Mod 70s, we're talking in 300WM. The Mod 70 issue was the magazine was too short for the long throat, a non issue in the Mod 700. I have zero experience with any newer Savages....saw waaay too many POC older Mod 110s in the past. These newer ones have a good rep it seems. I just can't "get used to" the AccuTrigger, on anything. If it was as dependable and set up like the Glock's and broke like a TriggerTech…"maybe", ha

Last edited by Jim_Knight; 02/01/20.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
When i think .300 Win I think Tikka T3x Superlite,👍.......Hb

When I think T3 Superlight 300 I think Ouch.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Tejano
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
When i think .300 Win I think Tikka T3x Superlite,👍.......Hb

When I think T3 Superlight 300 I think Ouch.

Yup

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by moosemike
Browning X-Bolt. But it's not on your list. We have the walnut stocked Hunter model and its outstanding.
............................Imo and I do not own a Browning but know people who do, you might want to take a long look see at the Browning X Bolt Long Range Max for about $1250 MSRP. I think it won G&A Rifle of the Year award for either 2019 or 20.

There are a few reviews on you tube on this rifle....Imo a winner....

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by bigsqueeze
Originally Posted by moosemike
Browning X-Bolt. But it's not on your list. We have the walnut stocked Hunter model and its outstanding.
............................Imo and I do not own a Browning but know people who do, you might want to take a long look see at the Browning X Bolt Long Range Max for about $1250 MSRP. I think it won G&A Rifle of the Year award for either 2019 or 20.

There are a few reviews on you tube on this rifle....Imo a winner....
.................Forgot to mention. A 1 'n 8 twist for the 300 Win and a price correction. $1339 MSRP. Probably can be had in the low to mid $1200 range........

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

179 members (160user, 12344mag, 2UP, 22kHornet, 44mc, 35, 16 invisible), 1,605 guests, and 1,005 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,759
Posts18,476,439
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.