Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
The Rendezvous Bistro was our favorite restaurant. I’ve only been there in the summer and early fall, so most of the hiking and fishing we’ve done is probably not available. Wildlife viewing should be great.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Within 10 miles is the moose lodge and shopping. Check it out.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Drive around on the roads in the park and start a couple of hours before sunset. Take a spotting scope, or at least some good binoculars.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
+1 on Merry Piglets and yes killer margaritas. Nora’s Fish Creek Inn or The Bunnery for breakfast. Pinky G’s is always on tap for a few slices and a beer while wandering around town. Nationlal Museum of Wildlife art and Elk Refuge sleigh ride are great. Often see bighorn sheep down on the road that runs along the east side of the elk refuge. Take Broadway thru town, east, past the hospital and look for where it ends and turns left (north). Dornans, north of the airport, has good food and a spectacular view of the Tetons when it is clear. Teton Village, the ski area, is about 20 minutes from downtown Jackson and the tram ride is nice IF it is not clouded over. Beware, PARKING SUCKS in the village. The main lot is like $20 and the Ranch Lot is like $15 and a 5 min shuttle ride with the skiiers. Plus they tend to fill up on busy ski days. Shopping around town or the village isn’t cheap, but for all the pissing and moanaing I see from people on the web, it is like any other tourist trap. Has not been as frigid cold this winter as in the past years, upper 20’s to low 30’s for the daytime and an average snow year. Snowmobiling into Yellowstone is popular, same for trips up into the Gros Ventre range. Had some friends do the wildlife viewing tour van and they enjoyed that. Million Dollar Cowboy bar is a been there done that kind of place. Sit on a saddle and have a high price shot of hooch and on to the next place. Silver Dollar Bar at the Wort Hotel in town has a variety of good music. If you are around on a Sunday night The Stagecoach in Wilson, a locals end of the day watering hole at the base of Teton Pass, has “Sunday Church” at something like 6 or 7 pm. Same group of folks playing music for years and western dancing. A fun mix of local characters and dime store cowboys. Lots of places for dinner. Merry Piglets, Rendezvous Bistro, Teton Tiger, Orsetto, Roadhouse Brewery, Blue Lion, Local, Gather, Big Hole BBQ are all good. DOG has great breakfast burriots for on the go eating, it is a walk up window kind of place.

There's 2 dates they carve on your tombstone.
Everyone knows what they mean.
What's more important is time that is known
as the little dash inbetween.

Razz
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I can't add much to what has already been posted other than to confirm that we are having a fairly mild winter this year temp wise. Even in Jackson.

Surprises me about the Antler as far as room condition. Jackson being the rich boys playground and high end resort town that it is.
Even the "Rustic" cabins at Spring Creek Ranch are nice, and yes if a guy is just "blowing through" town the prices are going to be high.

Oh, and if you have time, drive around to the back side of the refuge to have a up close look at the bighorn sheep!

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
PM Snakeriverman here. He's not on the "fire much anymore, but works in Jackson. he was nice enough to show me around.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by hatari
PM Snakeriverman here. He's not on the "fire much anymore, but works in Jackson. he was nice enough to show me around.

Same here, Larry and Lynn are wonderful folks to visit with, and good guides, as far as that goes. Snake River Marksman is Number One.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Last time I was there you could buy a dinosaur skull fossil for a cool million bucks. You could pick up a couple of those.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

Wife and I like the Gun Barrel restaurant when there.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
This is worth a look-------------------

https://www.seejh.com/webcams/elkrefuge/elk-refuge

You can take a wagon ride right out there within feet of full grown elk.

Last edited by MD521; 01/31/20.
IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Gun Barrel is good food for sure Also Dornan's is worth the trip just outside of town

Still trying to be the Man my dogs think I am
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Gun Barrel: Good spot for a buffalo rib steak.

1Minute
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
There are some awfully nice art galleries, and wildlife photo galleries there, too. It doesn't cost anything to look, and most of them are worth looking at.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
anusbender: As usual YOU are way - off base the elevation of Jackson, Wyoming is 6,237.
Sheesh, you are worthless - actually worse than worthless.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
We spent a month in Jackson this fall and loved every minute. Rent snowshoes or CC skis and check out spectacular country, avalanche conditions are readily available and the shops will have info on local trails and open roads. Take 191 from Hobart Jct towards Bondurant and you will pass a place that does dog sled tours, go farther and go up Cliff Creek forest road 30530. Go north past Moran Jct and take 191 towards Yellowstone and go up Pacific Creek, we saw wolves and griz up there, the bears are probably asleep but take yur Glock anyways.

Lots of good suggestions on food w/ Dornans at Moose JCt being our favorite, great bar and pizza/pasta and the best view in the area, fun place. The happy piglets shares an entrance w/ a Hamburger place, both are outstanding. If you want to wow your growler reserve a table at The Amangani Hotel restaurant, try for a window table at sunset. She will be impressed, mucho$$$ but well worth it.

Lots of snowmobile rentals and tours but I have no experience w/ them. Jackson is a world destination for a very good reason. We hiked everyday and saw lots of critters and very few people once you get out of town.

Have a ball

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
ScrapIron: First off disregard ANYTHING anusbender burps up!
Be sure and eat at "Bubba's" for breakfast.
Be sure and eat at "Bubba's" for lunch.
Be sure and eat at "Bubba's" for dinner.
I always stay at the Elk Refuge Inn and enjoy the views and the quiet from there.
I have reservations there in a month in fact again this winter.
Be sure and stop in at the Jackson Chamber of Commerce building and store - well worth the free admission.
Tour all the galleries and shops in downtown and make time to tour the housing developments north and west of town - there are some stunning homes with stunning views out there.
Be sure and do the horse drawn tours of the Elk and the Elk refuge.
Drive on your own to the south/east side of the Elk Refuge itself and view the Bighorn Sheep, Elk, Moose and Coyotes off of that long dead end road.
On clear days (check the forecasts) get up before sunrise and go to a view point of the Grand Tetons - watching the sun rise on the Grand Tetons is one of the most stunning experiences I have ever had - and I have done this MANY times.
Take your GOOD camera and your GOOD spotting scope and binoculars!
I know of a wonderful virtually unknown hotspring NE of Jackson - but I am hesitant to try and vector you in on it til I find my local map - I and friends and family have swum/bathed there many times.
I am not much of a night lifer/drinker but there are many cool spots I have had a beer or two in the afternoons there in the town of Jackson.
I was just in Yellowstone Park 4 days ago and not to much snow there at the North Entrance - mosey on up Yellowstone way on the main highway for great vistas and game watching.
I always take an hour or so mid-day to just park and view the Grand Tetons in full daylight - it soothes my soul and recharges my batteries to an amazing extent - I hope YOU have time to do so.
Enjoy.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Go camping. My wife and I came thru there in Sept. rooms $360 per night. Camp site $30.

Charlie

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by crsides
Go camping. My wife and I came thru there in Sept. rooms $360 per night. Camp site $30.

Charlie

grin It’s kinda like winter in the northern hemisphere.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Go to Bubba's for breakfast and order the chicken fried steak.

Proud NRA Life Member
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Bubba's has the coolest waitresses[waitpersons?] in town. The brisket is pretty good too. You will run out of time before you run out of really good restaurants. The best part is that you will find so many places to burn calories that you will be able to eat all you want.

Frequent flyers tip: The salad bar at the Albertsons store is awesome. Dornans has awesome pizza, a great beer selection and the best view in the Jackson area.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (338rcm, 1minute, 338reddog, 264magnum, 06hunter59, 65 invisible), 2,339 guests, and 1,275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,538
Posts18,491,481
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.