Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Originally Posted by JeffA
I never shopped at Walmart much but last time I tried was over a year ago and decided never again.

I could barely stomach the place the way it was, if it wasn't the shoppers walking their mutts through the food isles it was their weird employees I let get under my skin.
I was down to hitting the place in the wee hours to avoid most of what I found repulsive and hey, at 4 am the place just wasn't that busy.
I go rollin' in around 4 or 4:30 and find the once 24/7 operation closed. Seems they had new hours, something like 6am to midnight.

Now they must do all that shelf stocking while the isles are filled with people trying to shop. I just never went back after that.

Something is changing there......

For those odd ball items I use to purchase at Walmart, I had to find another resource.
I hit my first Dollar General and was pretty surprised to see how they directly targeted Walmart with their inventory and pricing structure.
They don't carry everything so still needing another resource I stumbled into my first Save-A-Lot grocery.
I found they were doing business much like Dollar General, obviously directly targeting Walmart with inventory and cheaper pricing.

Neither Dollar General or Save-A-Lot are ever crammed with people, never seen a dog walking the food isles at either place and I'd venture to say I spend less on the items I once bought at Walmart now days.

From what I understand about the Save-A-Lot stores, you can have either a really good one or a really bad one, just depends on where you're at.

Yeah, Walmart has some competition out there that is doing fine but I doubt Walmart is going to go under anytime soon.

If they just threw in the towel and quit trying to change in order to keep up with the times they would probably die much like Sears, it's take decade or two before they were to completely fade away.

A long established Save-a-Lot grocery store in a nearby town had to close their doors not long after a new and much bigger Ruler Foods (Kroger owned) discount grocery store opened. The Ruler Foods store keeps their milk priced their at around $1 a gallon, which caused the local Walmart to drop the price of their store brand milk the same. Walmart knows that rarely ever does anyone walk in a grocery store to buy a gallon of milk and leave with just the one gallon of milk.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
We shop at the Walmart in grand haven Mi. This is a really nice clean Walmart. Muskegon , and Grand Rapids not so much!

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by joken2

I never shopped at Walmart much but last time I tried was over a year ago and decided never again.

I could barely stomach the place the way it was, if it wasn't the shoppers walking their mutts through the food isles it was their weird employees I let get under my skin.
I was down to hitting the place in the wee hours to avoid most of what I found repulsive and hey, at 4 am the place just wasn't that busy.
I go rollin' in around 4 or 4:30 and find the once 24/7 operation closed. Seems they had new hours, something like 6am to midnight.

Now they must do all that shelf stocking while the isles are filled with people trying to shop. I just never went back after that.

Something is changing there......

For those odd ball items I use to purchase at Walmart, I had to find another resource.
I hit my first Dollar General and was pretty surprised to see how they directly targeted Walmart with their inventory and pricing structure.
They don't carry everything so still needing another resource I stumbled into my first Save-A-Lot grocery.
I found they were doing business much like Dollar General, obviously directly targeting Walmart with inventory and cheaper pricing.

Neither Dollar General or Save-A-Lot are ever crammed with people, never seen a dog walking the food isles at either place and I'd venture to say I spend less on the items I once bought at Walmart now days.

From what I understand about the Save-A-Lot stores, you can have either a really good one or a really bad one, just depends on where you're at.

Yeah, Walmart has some competition out there that is doing fine but I doubt Walmart is going to go under anytime soon.

If they just threw in the towel and quit trying to change in order to keep up with the times they would probably die much like Sears, it's take decade or two before they were to completely fade away.

A long established Save-a-Lot grocery store in a nearby town had to close their doors not long after a new and much bigger Ruler Foods (Kroger owned) discount grocery store opened. The Ruler Foods store keeps their milk priced their at around $1 a gallon, which caused the local Walmart to drop the price of their store brand milk the same.

I think it depends on the person that owns the particular store. Ours sold to new owners and was closed within a year.

Aldi is another one that used to be pretty cheap but the wife says they are starting to inch prices up and it's not worth it to drive 15 miles to them vs staying in town and shopping the local Price Chopper.

She mainly buys items on sale to help. Can't always wait for sales on stuff but it does help to shop the weekly sales and stock up.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JamesJr

But, keep one thing in mind.............you're $11.73 purchase at Dollar General isn't going to hurt Walmart one little bit.

Don't be so sure about that..

[Linked Image from static.seekingalpha.com]

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

But, keep one thing in mind.............you're $11.73 purchase at Dollar General isn't going to hurt Walmart one little bit.

What I believe the reason Dollar General is growing by leaps and bounds is so many privately owned neighborhood and small town 'mom and pop' owned stores couldn't compete price wise with the wholesale buying power of big super stores, nor survive on customers buying just a few incidentals between their major grocery shopping trips to the super stores, therefore had to closed their doors.

Dollar General recognized a opportunity, the potential, jumped on it and it's paying off.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Whelenman
We shop at the Walmart in grand haven Mi. This is a really nice clean Walmart. Muskegon , and Grand Rapids not so much!

Bingo, if you live in or go to a chithole area to shop, you have much different WM shoppers than if you don't.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Where I work we have Walmart sales people visit yearly and they gave us a presentation about a year ago and asked us who we thought was their biggest competitor was and we all said Dollar General. They said no it was Amazon . That’s back when there was a free shipping war and now that seems to be over with so I would bet DG is getting looked at again. It used to be DG that’s why Walmart countered them and started putting up the small neighborhood stores and I think that didn’t go over well for them.

I do know Walmart has a heck of a turnover of their salespeople.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by joken2

What I believe the reason Dollar General is growing by leaps and bounds is so many privately owned neighborhood and small town 'mom and pop' owned stores couldn't compete price wise with the wholesale buying power of big super stores, nor survive on customers buying just a few incidentals between their major grocery shopping trips to the super stores, therefore had to closed their doors.

Dollar General recognized a opportunity, the potential, jumped on it and it's paying off.

Walmart will always be able to offer shoppers things that Dollar General can't, and that's why it's highly unlikely that DG will ever make serious inroads into the Walmart market.

Having said that, we have a DG about 5 miles away, and we use it every now and then. From what I've seen, they mostly serve the customer who has run out of a certain item, and goes to the local DG rather than make a longer drive to a place like Walmart. DG's can operate cheaply, because their buildings are small and inexpensive to begin with, their inventory is mostly made up of lower priced items, and they don't have a lot of overhead like the bigger stores like Walmart do.

I wish them all well, as it means the economy is booming when you see stores opening up everywhere.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
I doubt if we see any of the Walton family begging on the street corner with a tin cup any time soon.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 700LH
Wider isles may stem from all the employees using carts shopping for people to pick up outside.

That would be my guess. As far as all of the discussion about Dollar General, that is just a lower price convenience store for people who don't need to buy much.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
DG hasn't found it's way to Idaho yet. We have plenty of Family Dollars, Dollar Trees, and others, though.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
We have a DG Market about 2 miles from us. The Market stores have groceries and produce.
Kroger/Walmart and Food Lion are all 2-3 miles and 5-6 stoplights further away.
That DG Market stays very busy.

FJB & FJT
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think the variety of smaller store alternatives offers people one thing Wal-Mart can never do.
People are more subject to needless impulsive buying at Wal-Mart than in the small stores.

It's a science, they know exactly how to entice you into buying things you never knew you needed and probably don't.
It all adds up at the end of the month....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
DG carries a small stock of brand name stuff, and a huge amount of second-tier generics. Their selection is pretty limited, and they obviously pander to the bottom of the food chain, customer-wise. I'm betting a huge amount of their business volume involves EBT, SNAP, and other welfare-type transactions.
Jerry

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
DG carries a small stock of brand name stuff, and a huge amount of second-tier generics. Their selection is pretty limited, and they obviously pander to the bottom of the food chain, customer-wise. I'm betting a huge amount of their business volume involves EBT, SNAP, and other welfare-type transactions.
Jerry

JeffA must be their best customer, either that, or he's trying to peddle his DG stock.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I only go to Walmart to pick up new fashion trends.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've grown to appreciate Aldi's lately. Talk about no frills and generic brands but produce , meats and dairy are on point. Better prices than Wal-Mart or DG without the "personalities" of rural america

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Originally Posted by Raeford
We have a DG Market about 2 miles from us. The Market stores have groceries and produce.
Kroger/Walmart and Food Lion are all 2-3 miles and 5-6 stoplights further away.
That DG Market stays very busy.

Some of the regular Dollar General stores located in areas that no longer have any full-line grocery stores nearby are
starting to add fresh produce, fruit and pre-cut, prepackaged fresh meat sections.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Wally is on other side of town.
And it's a redneck burg.

There is a DG much closer.
Gonna clean a rifle, am out of paper towels.

DG it is.

Wally and Meijer same side of town.
Meijer costs a little more.

Cops always at Wally. Fuggin scum o rama.

Actually dislike both stores.
Had a Marsh that had way better Deli back in the day.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

654 members (06hunter59, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 222Sako, 204guy, 1badf350, 68 invisible), 2,671 guests, and 1,473 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,608
Posts18,492,399
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.