Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Shooting Times had two special editions that were nothing but stories written by Skeeter. If I remember correctly, one was published while he was alive and one some time after his death. Every three or four years I will get them out and read them. "My Friend the 357" is probably my favorite Skeeter story.

GB1

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
I don't suppose that I could entice you to scan a copy of that to me, please? Never hurts to ask.

"...why, land is the only thing in the world worth working for, worth fighting for, worth dying for,... because it is the only thing that lasts."
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Henryseale,
I just saw your post. PM sent.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Henryseale
I don't suppose that I could entice you to scan a copy of that to me, please? Never hurts to ask.

There is a Shooting Times special edition from 10/80 titled "Skeeter Skelton On Handguns" that regularly shows up on eBay for as little as $25. If you're patient, you'll find one in good condition for a reasonable price.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
http://www.darkcanyon.net/skeeter_skelton.htm

Found this site years ago. Bill Roser started it and his widow has continued it.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
His son writes too.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I too enjoyed his writings! In fact he is responsible for me buying and hording S&W model 24 spl handguns! I tell you he WAS onto something! Something about a 240 gr hardcast swc @ 1000 fps....

Heaven has a wall, a gate and strict immigration policy.

Hell has open borders.

Let that sink in.....

I Live for Opening Day!
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by TwoTrax
I too enjoyed his writings! In fact he is responsible for me buying and hording S&W model 24 spl handguns! I tell you he WAS onto something! Something about a 240 gr hardcast swc @ 1000 fps....

I enjoyed Skeeter's writings but never saw the great appeal of a 44 splc revolver. A 44 mag can do double duty IMHO

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by jwp475

I enjoyed Skeeter's writings but never saw the great appeal of a 44 splc revolver. A 44 mag can do double duty IMHO

I have one each of the Lew Horton 3 inch round butt guns in 44 mag and 44 spl as well as the 4 inch sqare butt in 44 mag and 44 spl. The spl guns feel and handle better to me. While it is true the mag gets more power, 99.5 % of the time it is not required and I much favor the special for the reduced recoil and muzzle blast. YMMV.

Hell has open borders.

Let that sink in.....

I Live for Opening Day!
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

I have one each of the Lew Horton 3 inch round butt guns in 44 mag and 44 spl as well as the 4 inch square butt in 44 mag and 44 spl. The spl guns feel and handle better to me. While it is true the mag gets more power, 99.5 % of the time it is not required and I much favor the special for the reduced recoil and muzzle blast. YMMV.

Last edited by TwoTrax; 02/08/20.

Hell has open borders.

Let that sink in.....

I Live for Opening Day!
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

I have one each of the Lew Horton 3 inch round butt guns in 44 mag and 44 spl as well as the 4 inch square butt in 44 mag and 44 spl. The spl guns feel and handle better to me. While it is true the mag gets more power, 99.5 % of the time it is not required and I much favor the special for the reduced recoil and muzzle blast. YMMV.

I agree with your assessment that the .44 Special will do the great majority of what the .44 Magnum covers and can do it with less recoil and muzzle blast in a lighter, more manageable, revolver. At least it does for me.

Although I have 8 revolver chambered in .44 Special, my favorite .44 Special is a .44 Magnum, the S&W 329PD. The 329PD is a great platform for the .44 Special size and weight wise, but is too light for most people to shoot well with full power .44 Magnum loads. The .44 that I carry the most is also the least expensive, a Rossi 720. Only a few years ago a person could find these nice little stainless revolvers in minty condition for between $250 and $300, but not so today.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
my favorite writer, have all his books and magazine specials

Benefactor Life Member NRA, Arizona Hunter Education Instructor
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Gregor

Found this site years ago. Bill Roser started it and his widow has continued it.

Thank you very much for this link. It has some great articles and is a real treasure for those of us into the S&W products from the "Old Days".

I used to only shoot shotguns and rimfires, then I made the mistake of getting a subscription to handloader.......
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Bob_B257
Originally Posted by Gregor

Thank you very much for this link. It has some great articles and is a real treasure for those of us into the S&W products from the "Old Days".

+1

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
+2 Thanks you, some good reading.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
To this day, whenever I am tempted to leave powder in the hopper of my powder measure, I think about "Skeeter Skelton Cow-Killer Loads" and I promptly empty the hopper!!

I can't remember how to set up and solve quadratic equations, but I remember that story from what...about 45 years ago?

USMC 0351

We know the price of everything and the value of nothing.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
If you were going to try to add one or two of Skeeters published books to your collection, which would you choose today. I am interested in both his fiction and non fiction work.

I used to only shoot shotguns and rimfires, then I made the mistake of getting a subscription to handloader.......
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Bob_B257
If you were going to try to add one or two of Skeeters published books to your collection, which would you choose today. I am interested in both his fiction and non fiction work.

If I was going to have one of SS' books it would be GOOD FRIEND, GOOD GUNS, GOOD WHISKEY. If two, I'd add HOGLEGS, HIPSHOTS, AND JALAPENOS.

There are also a couple of soft cover Shooting Times compilations of his work, basically thick magazines.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Henryseal,

I bought a new copy of GOOD FRIENDS, GOOD GUNS, GOOD WHISKEY during the fund-raising auction at the Jack O'Connor Hunting Heritage Center in Lewiston, Idaho in June. It wasn't exactly cheap, but I tend to overspend there, for the good cause (the center is not only a fine museum, but helps in youth shooting programs). I have been savoring it for the past several months.

Luckily, I bought my copy of HELL, I WAS THERE! back when it was first published....
I have both & they are both great reads !!

"not too grumpy"
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Originally Posted by websterparish47
I enjoyed his writing on cast bullets. He said 357 brass was harder to come by and he didn't use it for plinking . Used 38 Spl brass , seated the bullet to OAL of the 357.

That’s where Lyman’s 358156 bullet design came into play for him. The lower crimping groove for loads with 38 Special brass and the top groove for the 357 gave about the same capacity for his loads with Herc 2400. Works like a champ. I have a hollow point version of it and a four cavity mold for solids after seeing Skeeter writing about them so many times.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

267 members (1minute, 204guy, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 16penny, 257_X_50, 1beaver_shooter, 35 invisible), 2,333 guests, and 1,350 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,112
Posts18,483,438
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.