Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Charities steered $65 million to Trump lawyer Sekulow and family

According to Fortune Magazine

fortune.com/2020/01/31/jay-sekulow-trump-lawyer/?

Jay Sekulow, one of President Donald Trump’s lead attorneys during the impeachment trial, is being paid for his legal work through a rented $80-a-month mailbox a block away from the White House.

The Pennsylvania Avenue box appears to be the sole physical location of the Constitutional Litigation and Advocacy Group, a for-profit corporation co-owned by Sekulow. The firm has no website and is not listed in national legal directories. The District of Columbia Bar has no record of it, and no attorneys list it as their employer.

But Sekulow, 63, is registered as chief counsel at the American Center for Law and Justice, a non-profit Christian legal advocacy group based in an expansive Capitol Hill row house a short walk from the Senate chamber.

A half dozen lawyers employed by the non-profit ACLJ are named in recent Senate legal briefs as members of Trump’s defense team — including one of Sekulow’s sons. The ACLJ, as a tax-exempt 501(c)(3) organization, is barred under IRS rules from engaging in partisan political activities.

The Republican National Committee has paid more than $250,000 to Sekulow’s for-profit CLA Group since 2017, when he was first named to Trump’s legal team as special counsel Robert Mueller was leading the Russia investigation, according to campaign disclosures.

Sekulow has been one of Trump’s most visible defenders, enduring as a trusted attorney for the president even as other of his lawyers have been sidelined or entangled in controversy.

In the impeachment trial, he has sought to present Trump as unfairly hounded by investigations, seizing on surveillance errors the FBI acknowledged making in the Russia probe and accusing Democrats of investigating the president over Ukraine simply because they couldn’t bring him down after the Mueller investigation.

Charity watchdogs for years have raised concerns about the blurred lines between for-profit businesses tied to Sekulow and the complex web of non-profit entities he and his family control.

The Associated Press reviewed 10 years of tax returns for the ACLJ and other charities tied to Sekulow, which are released to the public under federal law. The records from 2008 to 2017, the most recent year available, show that more than $65 million in charitable funds were paid to Sekulow, his wife, his sons, his brother, his sister-in-law, his nephew and corporations they own.

Daniel Borochoff, president of the American Institute of Philanthropy, said Sekulow appears to be mixing his defense of Trump with his charitable endeavors. The group has issued a “Donor Alert” about ACLJ on its CharityWatch website.

MORE

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I don't care.

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Another end hit job.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
As nothing burgers go that is a whopper. The leftist witch hunts have been funded by the TAXPAYERS!!!

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Good. I’m glad.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by oldtrapper
As nothing burgers go that is a whopper. The leftist witch hunts have been funded by the TAXPAYERS!!!

OT, you should read the whole article.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Makes a fellow wonder how many hundreds of millions have been wasted by the Deep State and the leftist trying to take out a duly elected president. Its utterly ridiculous.
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don't give a schitt. If it was unethical or illegal he would have already been sanctioned.

I don't bother reading Propaganda Corps garbage.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Hey, who knew, the right isnt pas perfect as the left.

Let me know when he gives $150 billion to Iran.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image from i.harperapps.com][Linked Image from i.harperapps.com]

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." **Edmund Burke**

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." **Benjamin Franklin**
IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
If the Crazy Democrats hadn't gone on a ridiculous witch hunt it would have cost the tax payers and charities zero dollars. Think about that.

Thank God Trump has a great attorney

Last edited by ribka; 02/01/20.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by jaguartx

Let me know when he gives $150 billion to Iran.

Yep.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Sycamore

OT, you should read the whole article.

I read the whole article. Too much information. What matters is that he successfully defended Trump, and Trump is good for the country. Remember, "it's the economy stupid" plus he doesn't let third world $hitholes push us around.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Hell yea! Get me an address and I will mail him a check to help some more......

If it ain't broke don't fix it!!!!!!!!!!!
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Yep, it's hard to drain the swamp. Your pos muzzy buddy Zero added to it. You never saw a problem with him and his illegal DACA or $5 billion and 5 Taliban generals from GITMO sent to Qatar did you? This, you worry about, or are you trying to get a $500 spot from your bud, Soros?

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
How about we do an expose of Lawfare next. You know, that group of leftwing beach friend lawyers on permanent retainer for the Democrats?

Remember those lying scumbag lawyers from the Kavanaugh debacle? Yeah, let's see that thread, op.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
“Must Get Trump” Same ole tired schitt.

TDS is REAL.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Come on, sickermore, cant you guys come up with a two bit whore who claimed he raped her 40 years ago? Sheesh.

Give us something worthwhile like with your pal, Feinstein having a Chinese spy for an office mgr and driver for 30 years, or some such.

Last edited by jaguartx; 02/01/20.

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A 2005 investigation by the publication Legal Times reported about questionable spending at ACLJ, quoting former employees describing millions in charity funds being spent to support the Sekulows' lavish lifestyle, which included multiple homes, golf junkets, chauffeur-driven cars and a private jet used to ferry then-Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia. The Guardian and The Washington Post reported additional details in 2017, shortly after Sekulow was named as Trump's lawyer.

Over the 10-year-period examined by AP, the tax returns show nearly $37 million in charitable funds were paid by ACLJ to the CLA Group, the phantom law firm listed on court filings as defending Trump.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A Brooklyn native, Sekulow graduated from Mercer Law School in Georgia and briefly worked for the Internal Revenue Service before going into private practice in Atlanta with his former classmate Roth in the early 1980s. The pair specialized in buying and selling historic properties as tax shelters, but the business collapsed after disgruntled investors sued them over alleged fraud and securities violations. Court records show both Sekulow and Roth filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy in 1987.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

154 members (AceBall, 1OntarioJim, 257_X_50, 21, 35, 7887mm08, 14 invisible), 1,020 guests, and 924 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,978
Posts18,519,922
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.