Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
.0001" accuracy from a digital caliper ? Really ?

HR IC

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
That's what the dial indicates. I will admit the last calibration was a few years ago. 0.0000, no idea if it is that accurate, no way for me to test it. I suspect it is. Not like the cheap ones that are 0.0, or 0.00.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Mitutoyo 500-196-30

Batteries last almost forever.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Digitals are the only way to go , dials have an open track and gear system that only takes a small piece of dirt to make useless, I think Brown and Sharp make the best for the cost but all are sealed and practically fool proof.

And if pushing that reset button is over your head, then likely golf will suit you better anyways.

Last edited by jimy; 02/09/20.

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dye7barrel
Go dial.

This.

I use a dial caliper virtually every day and have no use for a digital.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

IC B2

woodson Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Originally Posted by woodson
Ordered a Forster Datum Dial set as to better measure my shoulder bump. Looking to get a digital caliper next. Anyone have a “value” recommendation?

If you are going to be removing the Datum Dial to measure other things with the calipers, the jaw mounted comparators and headspace gauges don't always go back on the jaw exactly the same. Now, the difference each time the tool is reinstalled on the jaw may be so tiny that it doesn't matter, but it is important to install the gauge in the same spot on the jaw.

Here on the 'fire we always enjoy helping other people spend their money, and on that note, I have the Stoney Point comparator and the headspace gauge, and Mitutoyo 505 series calipers dedicated to each body. The bodies for the comparator and headspace gauge never come off the jaws of the respective calipers. For calipers and indicators I like dials better because they are quicker to see where the needle lands. For micrometers I like digital because they are much quicker to read.

Dial or digital, you may want to buy a caliper and dedicate it to the Datum Dial.

Thank you very much for the insight. I likely will do just that

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by NVhntr
I'm sure those with the expensive calipers will disagree but I have both an expensive Japanese dial caliper and a cheap Harbor Freight Chinese caliper. I've had the HF for 12 years with no problems other than battery changes, both agree with each other. The digital is much easier to read quickly and zero.
I think I paid 9.99 for it on sale. It looks exactly like the digital calipers being re-branded and sold for more by the reloading tool suppliers.

Harbor Freight caliper

Lyman and Hornady especially; they've been selling a lot of reloading gear that is just rebranded cheap chinese stuff. Some of it is nice that they've made it more readily available, but other stuff can be bought for significantly less elsewhere for the same product.

While the cheaper calipers can work OK, if you like nice tools it's hard to go wrong with a digital Mitutoyo. I have calipers all over the shop and reloading area, both digital and dial, but for machining and any other work that calls for a better tool, my "good" caliper is one of Mitutoyo's newer "Absolute" series and is a real pleasure to use.

As to caliper accuracy - lots of digital calipers read to .0000, but that doesn't mean they are that accurate (generally speaking, they are not). Most just give half-thou (.0000 or .0005 only) measurements on that last digit, and even that is questionable. If you really think you need to measure ten thousandths (four digits - .0001), you need a micrometer not a caliper. For handloading and most gunsmithing work though, the standard one-thousandths (.001") caliper capability is accurate enough.

Last edited by Yondering; 02/12/20.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Biggs300
I really don't see any advantage in using a digital caliper. I have both and I can't remember the last time I used my digital. You never have to worry about a bad battery in a dial caliper and I seldom have to re-zero the caliper even though it is an inexpensive tool. Most important, I've never been able to tell any difference in the accuracy of my reloads when using my dial vs digital caliper.

I might have to eat a bit of crow based on my earlier response. I still like dial calipers for "most" reloading functions. I like the fact that they are straight on, with very little drifting and what you measure and see on the dial is pretty accurate. But, after responding to the OP, I pulled out my older digital calipers and set them up with both my Hornady bullet comparator kit and headspace comparator kit and, they were, in fact, a bit easier to set up use than to my dial calipers. Both work and there is nothing wrong with digital calipers. I may have to look at a new (better) set of digital calipers just for using my comparator kits.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

486 members (10gaugemag, 16penny, 1beaver_shooter, 16gage, 10ring1, 12344mag, 44 invisible), 2,833 guests, and 1,176 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,756
Posts18,514,819
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.