Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Depends upon when/where/how you will let him use it. Unsupervised? Daisy BB gun versus paper targets.. In a couple or three years maybe a pellet rifle. Other side of 10-11 years old, a single shot .410 or maybe a .22. A lot depends on the surroundings you live in, how disciplined the lad is and how much oversight you will invest IMHO.

For perspective, I was 11 or so when I shot myself in the big toe on a freezing cold morning with a .22 air rifle. It was a painful lesson and I'm more than thankful dad didn't let me run loose with a .22 or shotgun on my own.

This. I've yet to meet a 7 year old who exhibits the maturity to be issued a powder burning rifle of some sort. Hell, when I was 7 I was eagerly shooting my sister's in the butt with a BB gun whenever no one was looking (especially them) and my old man was a strict disciplinarian who thought I was cool with a gun. A couple more years ain't gonna hurt to wait. Don't rush him or, more importantly, yourself.

Every child is different: I would trust my 7-year-old daughter with nuclear launch codes but not my son. When he shoots, I am in physical contact with both him and the gun at all times-- I want to whet his appetite but I'm not comfortable walking away. My middle daughter has no real interest in it so I don't push.

GB1

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
I received a Win single shot 22 "boy's rifle" for my 7th birthday - parents wouldn't let me have a BB gun. Too dangerous.
After impressing me with the power of the 22, when ~ 8, we had moved to a small farm, and Dad let me go bring in the milk cow - carrying my little rifle.
"Don't shoot toward the road, or the house, or the animals."
Many jack rabbits were killed. smile

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
V
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
V
Well my first firearm was a Sears .410 bore bolt action single shot. My dad purchased it for me with the thinking that a .22 with its much greater range was more of a danger if the "know what is downrange rule" was not followed. Not arguing whether that thinking is sound but I sure had a lot of fun with that old shotgun. Killed a lot of squirrels, rabbits and quail with it. Now there were .22rf in the house to use but the .410 was mine.

I think one advantage of the .410 is that it is easier to hit with so a kid can make shots on squirrels, rabbits, etc. and that makes using it so much more fun. If you are only interested in teaching marksmanship and not also having hunting part of the experience then of course the .22rf makes sense.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by VaHunter
Well my first firearm was a Sears .410 bore bolt action single shot. My dad purchased it for me with the thinking that a .22 with its much greater range was more of a danger if the "know what is downrange rule" was not followed. Not arguing whether that thinking is sound but I sure had a lot of fun with that old shotgun. Killed a lot of squirrels, rabbits and quail with it. Now there were .22rf in the house to use but the .410 was mine.

I think one advantage of the .410 is that it is easier to hit with so a kid can make shots on squirrels, rabbits, etc. and that makes using it so much more fun. If you are only interested in teaching marksmanship and not also having hunting part of the experience then of course the .22rf makes sense.

Yep. Gotta learn to know your backstop with a rifle.

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Got my son one of those Cricket bolt-action .22s when he was about 5 or 6. that is what he learned to shoot with. Great little guns for beginners. When we go to the mountains and I take my 22 rifle, my wife gets the cricket out and she loves shooting it. So you are never to old I guess.

Writing from the gateway to the great BluMtns in southeastern Washington.

Just remember, "You are the trailer park and I am the tornado". Beth Dutton, Yellowstone.
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I started my boys out shooting a kids size .22lr single shot when they were 4 years old. They learned the rules of safely handling a gun quickly and moved into a mini-14. The strict structure of safety first isn't a habit until you make it that way. But it sticks. They were killing coyotes by seven.

P.S. Wish I could add pictures!

Last edited by BigNate; 02/14/20.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Depends upon when/where/how you will let him use it. Unsupervised? Daisy BB gun versus paper targets.. In a couple or three years maybe a pellet rifle. Other side of 10-11 years old, a single shot .410 or maybe a .22. A lot depends on the surroundings you live in, how disciplined the lad is and how much oversight you will invest IMHO.

For perspective, I was 11 or so when I shot myself in the big toe on a freezing cold morning with a .22 air rifle. It was a painful lesson and I'm more than thankful dad didn't let me run loose with a .22 or shotgun on my own.

This. I've yet to meet a 7 year old who exhibits the maturity to be issued a powder burning rifle of some sort. Hell, when I was 7 I was eagerly shooting my sister's in the butt with a BB gun whenever no one was looking (especially them) and my old man was a strict disciplinarian who thought I was cool with a gun. A couple more years ain't gonna hurt to wait. Don't rush him or, more importantly, yourself.

14 in my family that pre dates Daniel Boone is the minimum age on centerfires, or Rim fires.

Children have no concept of the damage that a gun can do.

Age 7 is for BB guns and pellet rifles. Teach them safe gun handling.

Note: at 13 my cousin shot the top of his brothers head off with a 20ga Stephens Single shot while quail hunting on Thanksgiving day in 1963, he survived....barely.

When Children make mistakes with a gun, you do not get a re-do.

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I started my boy with a red rider BB gun to learn open sights, safety on/off, trigger finger.
I take him out hunting and he carries his red rider to learn to carry his rifle and once again muzzle control.
He’ll be 9 on Monday and he likes to shoot the RAR with open sights from the bench as it’s still little big for him.
I also let him go to town with the 10/22 sometimes

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not a gun writer but my 8-year old and 12-year old have been shooting a Savage Rascal for years, and they still love it even though I have a Ruger Charger and other rimfires for them to use. We started shooting Colibri rounds in the Rascal and now shoot CB Longs. It's quiet, accurate, and a ton of fun. In fact, it's one of my favorite firearms that I have owned. I will never sell that Rascal. My 2-year old daughter will learn to shoot with it.

I originally bought a Cricket in 2011, but quickly found out that it sucked. Sold it, and bought a Rascal, probably in 2011/2012. After 8 or 9 years, we've shot a lot of Colibris and CB in that Rascal. We don't shoot many standard or high velocity 22 LR rounds through it though.

Jason

Last edited by 4th_point; 02/14/20.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The older boy had a 10/22 with a scope at 8. I think the temptation of rapid fire retarded his proper handling of a firearm. Likewise, the scope handicapped his ability to shoot iron sights.

The younger boy had a Red Rider at 5. At 6, I got him a CZ 452 bolt-action. Its akin to a Cricket, but the Cricket has that case rupture vent hole that can blow out brass and carbon into your face. The CZ also had a magazine box blank that made it a single shooter. Slowed him down and kept the focus on each individual shot. Kept it iron sights. Picked up a MkIII at 8. He’s now 10 and has a RAR 6.5CM and 870. Still shoots the CZ for fun (indoors) and he loves shooting bug holes unbenched. Wouldn’t do it any other way.

“When debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser.”
- Socrates
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I started my three sons with a small bolt action 22, what a disaster, they took forever to line up to shoot and then trying to cycle the action. It was a process of much frustration and little hands have trouble with heavy, breaks-like-an-old-pine-limb triggers, not to forget inexpensive "starter" rifles typically lack the finish of moving parts that make things work smoothly. I bought a Ruger 10-22 and installed a Timney trigger and our troubles were solved. Children do not typically have the strength, coordination or dexterity of adults so their needs are quite different. Frustration takes the fun away from shooting. Also, targets that react, steel plates, targets that spin or balloons make it more fun for them. Shooting holes in paper gets boring fast. This was my experience, yours I'm sure will be different. BTW, their next rifle was a Winchester 70 in 250-3000.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Fantastic!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have seen several kids with 10-22s that scared me badly enough I refuse to rabbit hunt with them with their 10-22s. With a loaded magazine a kid kills a rabbit and starts running to it. They fail to recognize the gun has reloaded itself. They do not get enough trigger time to realize what they are doing. A Rascal cures the issue while they are learning. At less than $150 they are nearly disposable, or can be resold easily.

My son got his first centerfire at 6 when I stocked a 700 in 243 for him. He only got to handle it when closely supervised. My 3 year old granddaughter got an 870 youth 20 gauge. Again, she does not get to handle it until she has a lot more trigger time. She is 4 now and gets her trigger time with her Rascal.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (06hunter59, 1_deuce, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 62 invisible), 2,601 guests, and 1,156 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,474
Posts18,529,427
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.