Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
41Keith Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
What a good point, isaac, I thought of that the minute I read of this being available. I'd love to think it may be of help. My own small efforts didn't go all that far, but I haven't given up.

Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. -- Daniel Webster
GB1

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Either an Uncle of mine that served in the Military was one heck of a BS'er or their records are, on him at least, highly suspect. Say's he was 78" tall, @636 lbs., 2 years of college. According to the year of birth they show for him he would have been 55-56yrs of age upon entering the Army in 1940, that would make his mother (my grandmother) still an infant herself when he was born.

In truth, my 'Uncle Tanner' was almost a foot shorter, weighed 500lbs less, was at least 15-20yrs. younger, and as far as I've ever heard, never attended college. It appears the only info. I feel confident they have correct about him is his name and the county/state where he enlisted.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wow ! I found my grandfathers draft registration from WWII. He was in the Fourth Registration conducted 27 April 1942. This was called the "old mans registration" , registered men who were between 45 & 64 years old & not already in the military. My grandfather was 50 years old at the time , born in 1891.

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
All they had on my dad was his enlistment date, marital status, height and weight. Should probably do a search on the Army's web site or something to get all the dope.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The best thing I can suggest is have a really unique name like mine, the records are few, mainly in Penn.
I even found the log entry discharging Harry S. Shreck hisself, even his final pay settlement of $126.35. My hat's off to the crew of the USS Deleware as they kept excellent records.
Even in 1920 they were into NavSpk, "Disch upon exp of enl Char. Ex. Awd. GC Medal $126.35 and HDB Parch disch and final settlement given."

A government is the most dangerous threat to man�s rights: it holds a legal monopoly on the use of physical force against legally disarmed victims.
IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Very cool, got totally hooked and have been struggling to remember maiden names all morning.

Found my dad's dad in the 1942 "old man's draft," too--he was 54, and was already in the WW I records as exempt because he was his mother's sole support!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I typed my last name and let it use the 'soundX' search, holy cow, my family is Japanese!
grin

A government is the most dangerous threat to man�s rights: it holds a legal monopoly on the use of physical force against legally disarmed victims.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Is there anyway to search medals granted to service members? I have an Uncle that fought in WWII and recently found out that he received the Distinguished Service Medal. Mom could not tell me anything else (she got the info from my Uncle's sister). I know he flew in the Pacific and received the medal from a General, but don't know who that might have been. Curtis LeMay?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Anyone able to find wwII navy on that site, plenty of army, but can't find any navy.

thanks

41Keith Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I'm bumping this to top for those who haven't yet seen it but might find it of interest.

Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. -- Daniel Webster
IC B3

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
41...I just received an e-mail last night from the MOTHER of one of my divorce clients. I had earlier taken your thread info and forwarded it to my e-mail friends and clients. No friends responded but this one client's mother thanked me profusely for providing the site to her daughter. Said she gave up her errands and her Bridge club meeting to spend near 5 hours working the site. She said nothing however, about the job I did for her daughter!!

Just wanted to let you know you really made someone's day!

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I thought my bunch showed up in the colonies in the 1840s. Seems there were some fighting in the revolution and every fight since.
Seems James was a popular name for Irish boys, for the past 200 some odd years.
Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Yeah, the common name thing is a drag for genealogy...I did pretty well putting together a family tree back to about 1830-1840 (when a lot of my British ancestors came over). Beyond that, I get stymied by a pair of Richard Bennetts who were born a couple miles apart in the same year.

And it seems like half the male population of central England around 1800 was named William Bostock!

I'm thinking if I ever have kids, I'll have to go way back for a distinctive family name...for a boy, how about naming him after my great-great-great-great-great-great-great-grandfather Conchobhar Mac Nessa? (A branch that's totally undocumented but shows up in someone else's tree with consistent dates/places and linking through another ancestor with an unusual name.)

I have to say that the coolest thing was finding not only the passenger manifest for the ship that brought my great-grandfather here in the 1880s, but a picture of the ship itself.

41Keith Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

Today this free offer ends, so I'm bumping it to top for those who haven't seen it.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

504 members (1234, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 222Sako, 1lessdog, 160user, 53 invisible), 18,446 guests, and 1,229 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,948
Posts18,539,495
Members74,051
Most Online20,796
04:44 PM

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.