Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Looking for a paddle holster that rides in closer than the Blackhawk Serpa I've been using fo many years. This is for the Glock 19.

Is the 6378 the answer? Or what?

Looking for a paddle, have a few IWB already.

Thanks, Shane

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I have it for a 1911. It probably does ride a bit closer than a Serpa, but it’s hard for me to to say as the only Serpa I have is for a G20/G21. It is a nice holster, and I like the lock better than the Serpa lock, except when used with a 1911. On the draw stroke, unlocking the holster causes your thumb to inadvertently disengage the thumb safety of the 1911. Other than that I like the holster and would likely buy one for a G19 over a Serpa.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have the 7378 7TS ALS (pictured below).

I bought it on the recommendation of Bluedreaux. I was looking for a paddle holster, because I wanted my gun a bit further from my body than IWB, given that I am trying to prepare for/guard against an ambush in the parking lot. I want to easily get a good shooting grip while still maintaining my best draw speed. I like the location of the release button and am practicing with it so it becomes a natural motion (it's already a pretty natural motion, but I just want to build muscle memory so I don't screw up if/when I need my gun). The paddle is tight-fitting and it takes a bit of effort to get it over a belt (and then later off the belt), but I'm good with it.

I have never dealt with a Serpa so I can't comment as to which rides closer to the body. (If you want, PM me your phone number and I'll text a few pics of me wearing the 7378 if you think it will help you make an assessment for yourself).

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Thanks for that info.

I'm old school on the phone, still just a hard line phone in the house. I'm still resisting the inevitable.....grin

With the Serpa, it is right at 2" thickness from the outside of my belt, to the outside of the holster while wearing it..

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Maybe there isn't a lot to be gained, but I'm kind of fishing for something.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine

With the Serpa, it is right at 2" thickness from the outside of my belt, to the outside of the holster while wearing it..

I have a metal ruler handy. If I touch it to my belt, the outer edge of the holster hovers at about 1 3/4" but certainly no thinner than that.

(Too bad you're missing out of me modeling my holster--you prolly coulda sold those pics to the paparazzi and made enough to buy another couple sections of grazing land. Or not...)

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
grin

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have a 5198 for my g19/23. It’s fast, has good retention and has held up. The only complaint I have had is that the tension adjustment screw has a washer that rattles. I fixed that by taking a thin piece of rubber from a shoe, poking a hole in it, running the screw through it and cinching down the rubber, washer and screw.

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
I dusted off my old Galco Avenger belt holster. Not as convenient on/off as a paddle, but it rides in close.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Safariland makes excellent holsters and the ALS System, once ingrained, is a fast and foolproof. My only concern is that the release lever is slick and might be a problem with wet, muddy or bloody hands. It is easily stippled with a soldering iron and you won't miss it after that.

I've had them for 1911s and mine had an added guard to prevent inadvertent disengagement of the safety. A good hi-res pic here: https://s3.amazonaws.com/mgm-conten...2_safariland_als_model_6378_padd_640.jpg

Since we're off on OWB holsters, I recently ordered an Azula two-slot pancake for my PPQ45. Very good quality leather that carries a large auto high and tight enough to hide it under a tail-out T shirt.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
IC B3

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I have used this holster A LOT. I have used this since 2014 for some duty assignments where its sometimes necessary for me to conceal a firearm. Department policy requires at least a level I holster, so I use the 6378 since my regular duty holster also uses the ALS. Now that outer armor carriers are approved, some guys wear nothing but the 6378 and have the rest of their crap on the vest. I fell off of a 6 foot fence with a bad guy, landing on the holster on a concrete sidewalk with the bad guy landing on top of me. Holster got scratched up, but held up.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
The ALS is the only OWB holster I will use outside of my house. Reliable retention in all conditions and totally natural release as you acquire your grip. Safariland builds them for pro users and they work and endure far better than your Serpa.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
My Serpa has only been working fine for 15 years now. I suppose it will fly apart any time now......give or take.

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
There's a palpable Ford/Chevy thing that goes on with Serpa and ALS.

It happens EVERY time.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
There's a palpable Ford/Chevy thing that goes on with Serpa and ALS.

It happens EVERY time.

True, it started when a lot of 1st rank trainers and schools prohibited their use. Definitely a user caused problem but still real.

mike r

Wish you were better

Craig Douglas ECQC
M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
The holster isn't dangerous. Plenty of students are.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
The holster isn't dangerous. Plenty of students are.

Absolutelygrin

mike r

Wish you were better

Craig Douglas ECQC

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

664 members (1lessdog, 160user, 16penny, 1936M71, 1Longbow, 71 invisible), 2,701 guests, and 1,261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,951
Posts18,499,043
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.