Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I currently have two safes. Have sold three as I traded up in size.
All have had mechanical locks, no problems in 30 plus years.

NRA Patron
GB1

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by earlybrd
Originally Posted by cowdoc
I bought a safe at a farm auction that had been a dial, then converted to an E-lock. When it eventually failed, I paid "Houdini the Locksmith" to drill it out and put a dial back on it. Since it was an aftermarket lock, it could have been mounted any one of four ways, so he just had to drill at 12, 3, 6, and 9 o'clock and hope he hit the right place.

The third hole worked. He broke like 3 $50 drill bits and spent over 2 hours. $400.00 later I had a safe again.

A Houdini locksmith such as myself could look down the spindle hole and figure out the direction the bolt faces and drill one hole with a $10 drill bit

And you are the average thief?

Conduct is the best proof of character.
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
An electronic safe is no better than it's manual over ride.

Here's an example:

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Dials here, on multiple Liberty and National Security safes, never had a problem. Anyone that has had gun safes with dials for a long enough time, can spin the dials back and forth, and barely look at the numbers to open them...... I’m talking decades.

I hope we’re not talking Dicks/F&S or Costco “safes”, because they are not safes, they’re beer cans with sheet rock lining. A good rule of thumb is if you rap on the side of a safe, and it’s rattles like a gym locker, it’s a glorified gun cabinet. If you rap on it and hurt your knuckle, it’s a safe :-). Only PARTLY kidding.

"I'm from the government, and I'm here to help"
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Flip side, I have a S&G dial lock on a Browning safe that has been giving me trouble for years. When the dial is turned back to 0 there is no 'wall' as the lock falls into place, and the safe won't open. I have to seriously WIGGLE the dial back and forth about 5 numbers in each direction several times to get the 'wall' as I turn to 0. The door will then open.

It hasn't gotten any worse for a while so I'm tempting fate.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I’ve had one safe, cheap Walmart, with electronic for 12? Years or so. I’ve replaced batteries one time. No issues. Just bought another safe with electronic. No test time on it yet.

Both have a backup key hidden on my property....

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I bought a plain-Jane "Sportsmans" safe outta 'Shotgun News' 20 years ago and it came with a conventional S&G dial lock. It proved to be so finicky and laborious (to say nothing of the fact that I could barely see the little tick marks on the dial) that I finally paid a locksmith to install an electronic lock. It was the right decision as, aside from periodically replacing the 9-volt battery, the replacement electronic lock has been completely trouble free for many years. I still have the original S&G lock if anyone's interested.

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Only safe issue I’ve had was a Canon that ended up with a broken weld on the actuating/connecting rod. Safe was a year or so old.

Service was great. Cannon sent a smith out and fixed it.

Makes you wonder about QC though.

Both E and dial locks have had no issues themselves.

Last edited by MadMooner; 02/11/20.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (160user, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 1OntarioJim, 10Glocks, 1moredeer, 67 invisible), 2,542 guests, and 1,146 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,810
Posts18,477,583
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.