Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by GeoW
Originally Posted by JamesJr
The local Toyota dealership is strictly geared towards selling cars and trucks to Ft. Campbell KY military personal on monthly installments. They don't know how to act when someone comes in and says they want to pay for one on the spot for the best price they can offer.

Dealers count on the ass load of money they make on financing. I've found I can get a better deal by financing and paying it off in a couple months. They don't like it but what the hell?

g

In hindsight it’s probably what I should’ve done. Instead of writing them a check right then and there.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Toyota,s are no better than anything else .....I have owned several Toyota pickups....They all went back for problems....My wife has a new 2019 Highlander ....She hates it... Cheap made and way behind the big three in refinement......They are like a Tikka Rifle !!!!!!way over Hyped.....

“When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Yep the highlanders a horrible vehicle lol. especially compared to a gm product where the engine or tranny goes teats uo under 30 k miles

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Best chance you have of getting a deal on a Toyota is buying one from a Non-Toyota dealership. They want their trade-ins gone.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by ribka

I penciled it out and saved 14 k on a year old Tundra with 11,000 miles and I paid cash for it.

You did good then. I bought my Tundra for $4K under the sticker price new and considered myself doing well. I couldn't find anything used with less than 30,000 miles where they were asking less than I could buy a new one for. If I could have found your deal I would have taken it. I paid cash for mine too.

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by ribka
Yep the highlanders a horrible vehicle lol. especially compared to a gm product where the engine or tranny goes teats uo under 30 k miles
I usually drive a vehicle until it's rusted out enough that it's ready for the junkyard {New York salted roads}. I've always had domestic vehicles of one brand or another. I've had two automatic transmissions go tu, one on a GM at 215K and one on a Ford at 186K. I've never had an engine go bad. My wifes 2012 Fusion has 187K on it right now. Still runs like a top, uses no oil and the transmission works fine. Both are still original and the car has needed very few repairs beyond normal maintenance.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I bought a Toyota - my wife bought a Cadillac.

SImilar circumstances. : I said bring it in under $32K and you got a deal. Took SEVERAL trips to the Manager, blah blah blah, tried to charge me for a service that was FREE according to all the banners and signs around the office. Tried to charge couple grand and I said "Look, it's FREE"...

Now the Cadillac: 10 minutes, I said bring it in under 32K and we buy tonight, 2 minutes later we were signing papers....

And these zombies line up and eat from the media’s trough

Cowards CANNOT be free. Nor should they be.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Toyota is reluctant to deal. They're popular, and have good resale.

Start through CostCo and Carguru, get the exact make, model, trim, etc. then use that knowledge to go shopping dealers against each other. Local to me wouldn't deal. Drove an hour and saved about 3k on a Tacoma a couple years ago. Did the same last year for my wife, but one of the closest dealers played ball.(not Toyota)

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The local Toyota dealership is strictly geared towards selling cars and trucks to Ft. Campbell KY military personal on monthly installments. They don't know how to act when someone comes in and says they want to pay for one on the spot for the best price they can offer.

Dealers count on the ass load of money they make on financing. I've found I can get a better deal by financing and paying it off in a couple months. They don't like it but what the hell?

g

That's what I did on the last Ford truck I bought. They were offering all kinds of incentives if you would finance, and the salesman told me that instead of buying it outright, I should take those incentives to get a better price, and then pay it off later. That's exactly what I did. Probably saved about $1500.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Friend did the above on his wifes camry, said it came out cheaper than paying cash. Payed it off in 6 months.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My nephew went to buy his wife a Christmas gift, a very nice piece of jewelry. The clerk told him that if he would get a store credit card, and set the purchase up on payments, he would get a $100 discount on the jewelry. He said okay, and went through all the motions of filling out the paperwork. Got it all approved, got the necklace for a $100 lower than the cash price, had it gift wrapped, and walked out of the store. At which point, he turned around and walked back in. "Is there anything wrong" the clerk asked, "no" said Daryl, "I just want to pay off my bill."

The clerk said..........."but you just got it, you can't do that." Daryl asked for the store manager, and there was this big discussion as to whether or not he could pay it off right after buying it on credit. A phone call to "headquarters" was made, and they couldn't find any reason not to let him pay it right there. He did and got his wife's Christmas gift for $100 less than he'd planned on spending.

On something of a side note, my wife's sister was the business manager for a large Buick dealership in Nashville back in the day. She once bought a new car with her credit card, got a bunch of points for doing so, then paid it off after the first month. Her credit card company didn't want to honor her points, but they finally did. She said that the person she talked to at the credit card place told her that they were just not used to dealing with people who paid their credit card bill off every month.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Dryfly24
Originally Posted by deerhunter5555
Buying/Selling and trading usually comes pretty natural for me. I like it and have a knack for it. These Toyota dealers around me are the exception. Never bought a Toyota but the woman wants one so here I am. I know a lot of guys swear by Toyota here and thought I’d ask what works to get the best deal on them.
Around here there are at least 5 Toyota dealers and they barely will budge off of the initial price they quote. I don’t get it...does everyone pay sticker or near that on these things?

Toyota’s are quality vehicles. I’m a Toyota guy through and through. They basically sell themselves for a reason and that’s why you may not always be able to get them to deal as much as you might with another vehicle.

Yes there are ways, but they’ll only go so far because if they don't sell it to you there’ll be someone else right behind you ready buy the same vehicle.

Having said that, pit them against each other. Go to one and get a price then go the next one and so on. That’s probably the best way.
That only works slightly - and not every time... A seasoned salesperson can tell right away when somebody's trying that, so they (using a car biz term) "shoot the guy in the foot"...

Know how that works?? laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Funny, every dealer in my area own several different car manufacturers. That's right! And, both foreign and domestic!

Google the many ways to haggle with dealers, mostly it's hitting them at the right time to move the older cars for new inventory.

That's what I did (plus the small amount of haggling, which I enjoy) and saved $7000 off the sticker price for...get this!...a Toyota! Good luck!

OP, if you're up to it, look out of state to buy - it may be MUCH cheaper.

Last edited by 4winds; 02/11/20.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My nephew went to buy his wife a Christmas gift, a very nice piece of jewelry. The clerk told him that if he would get a store credit card, and set the purchase up on payments, he would get a $100 discount on the jewelry. He said okay, and went through all the motions of filling out the paperwork. Got it all approved, got the necklace for a $100 lower than the cash price, had it gift wrapped, and walked out of the store. At which point, he turned around and walked back in. "Is there anything wrong" the clerk asked, "no" said Daryl, "I just want to pay off my bill."

The clerk said..........."but you just got it, you can't do that." Daryl asked for the store manager, and there was this big discussion as to whether or not he could pay it off right after buying it on credit. A phone call to "headquarters" was made, and they couldn't find any reason not to let him pay it right there. He did and got his wife's Christmas gift for $100 less than he'd planned on spending.

On something of a side note, my wife's sister was the business manager for a large Buick dealership in Nashville back in the day. She once bought a new car with her credit card, got a bunch of points for doing so, then paid it off after the first month. Her credit card company didn't want to honor her points, but they finally did. She said that the person she talked to at the credit card place told her that they were just not used to dealing with people who paid their credit card bill off every month.

Tell your nephew to be careful, the more credit cards you add to the wallet the more it affects your credit score, despite the deal he thinks he got out of it. Canceling them isn't helpful either.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Found a nice low mileage used one at CarMax. Had it sent to my local store. Checked it out tonight and will probably end up buying it. Half price of a new one with only 44k miles. Looks garage kept and cherry. Only flaw I can find is a coffee stain in the drivers seat. Got them trying to get it out before I buy it.
Thanks all for the ideas...
Erich

so what cha buying ?

post the CarMax link to the car.......lets see !

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

If you are buying new - use the Costco Auto dealer...

You’ll get a better price than most people
You don’t have to haggle with the dealer at all
You get to see what it’s going to cost at home so you can make decisions before you go to the dealer.

No brainer

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I tried to trade a Chevy Silverado in once on a Toyota Tacoma at a Toyota dealer. All the scum bums would offer me was wholesale value, 3k less than trade in. He tried to tell me there was so much more equity in a Toyota than my truck. I told him he was taking away my equity by not giving me a fair trade and walked out. That was 15 years ago and I haven't missed a Toyota one bit.

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A

g

That's what I did on the last Ford truck I bought. They were offering all kinds of incentives if you would finance, and the salesman told me that instead of buying it outright, I should take those incentives to get a better price, and then pay it off later. That's exactly what I did. Probably saved about $1500.

Ford has played that game at least a decade. Take the finance incentive, Make a couple payments ,and then pay it off /move to a more attractive loan usually at credit union.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by tikkanut
Found a nice low mileage used one at CarMax. Had it sent to my local store. Checked it out tonight and will probably end up buying it. Half price of a new one with only 44k miles. Looks garage kept and cherry. Only flaw I can find is a coffee stain in the drivers seat. Got them trying to get it out before I buy it.
Thanks all for the ideas...
Erich

so what cha buying ?

post the CarMax link to the car.......lets see !
I think they’ve got the link locked down since it’s on hold for me. Not sure... I tried and can’t figure out how to post it.
2014 Toyota Sienna L...44k miles $16,900.

Buy once, cry once.
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I dealt with Toyota west in Columbus, Ohio. They had an 09 6spd Tacoma I watched for a few months on line.
Called the internet sales guy and made an offer and he took it without question. Figured since it was a standard shift and in the big city no one wanted it.
Drove up the next day and picked up with zero hassle. Had my own financing prior to going up.

Honestly I just found the truck average, worse gas milage than the f150 v8 I have now, more recalls than this ford and the frame was covered in rust, especially around the welds when I traded it in.

I'd another one (tacoma) but price, fuel milage and that anemic engine always make think again.
If i did go toyota, I'd like to get a 4runner, never had an SUV

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

601 members (1minute, 01Foreman400, 1OntarioJim, 1234, 1badf350, 007FJ, 59 invisible), 2,434 guests, and 1,286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,567
Posts18,491,832
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.