-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Take her out and let her shoot some different guns.

Buy the one she likes most.

Don't just pick something at random and bet her life on it.

And get something bigger than a 22 LR

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
GB1

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

The thing I would be most concerned and hesitant about in choosing a .22 rimfire as a primary defensive weapon, especially in semi-auto, is not so much the reliability of the gun itself but more the reliability of rimfire ammo.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by UPhiker
The one that she decides that she likes...

Yes, Take her gun shopping.

I am MAGA.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I notice lately that Pauli B has never met a Ruger he could like.........

They must have really been bad to him one day when he called asking for something for free........

It's official. I missed the selfie deadline so I'm Maser's sock puppet because rene and the Polish half of the fubar twins have decided that I am.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ μολὼν λαβέ
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
To those who say a revolver because a semi auto is "too complicated" for a woman, I work at a range and find that is counterbalanced by having to learn the long, heavy trigger pull of a DA revolver. Just like a lot of men say their wife can't rack a slide, I have them doing it in 30 seconds. They've just never been shown the push/pull overhand method.

IC B2

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by granitestate1
Do yourself a favor, look into a Kel-Tec PMR 30. As the model number says the mag holds 30 rounds of 22 mag, me and my wife both have one and love them and they cycle flawlessly.

Dean

I was thinking the same thing. I held one the other day, but didn’t get a chance to shoot it. It’s very lightweight

if a man speaks, and there isn't a woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by tpcollins
Wife shocked me when she said she’d like to have a pistol to keep in the drawer - especially when I’m away.

I’ve left my .40 S&W Springfield and Ruger LC9 for her (I take the LCP with me) but both are rather big for her.

I was thinking of maybe of a .22 auto - the Walther PPQ 22 looks nice as well as she should be able to shoot it at the range without much trouble - she’s not the strongest person there is.

I know a .22 isn’t the most effective weapon but it should scare the hell out of an intruder. Just wondering what other really small .22 autos there are? Thanks.

I picked up a PP22 some years ago. It's a pre war '39 model that shoots wonderfully and fits small hands quite well. My bride always likes shooting that one as do some of her shooting friends. One thing my wife really likes about it is the de-cocker/safety lever on the slide. She's a little iffy on carrying with one in the tube but this makes it more comfortable for her to do. Walther also chambered the PP in a 32acp and 7.65mm, I haven't shot either of them but I'm sure recoil would be pretty tame. My PP22 holds eight 22lr, not sure what either of the other two hold. Guessing that 8 or 9 rounds into a guy's mid section would change his mind on his plans for the evening, even if they were just lowly 22lr Stinger rounds. I have 2 mags for my PP, one has the pinky finger extension which I really like, and the other does not, the bride likes that one better.

I sometimes carry my PP22 in my front pocket, it's easy, although it just a touch heavy for that I think.

Haven't thought about it much lately, but I may have to look into another one of these in either a 32acp or 7.65mm. Not sure of the round cap on these.

Black Cows Matter!
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by joken2

The thing I would be most concerned and hesitant about in choosing a .22 rimfire as a primary defensive weapon, especially in semi-auto, is not so much the reliability of the gun itself but more the reliability of rimfire ammo.

And thus the popularity of small rimfire revolvers...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by keith_dunlap
Originally Posted by granitestate1
Do yourself a favor, look into a Kel-Tec PMR 30. As the model number says the mag holds 30 rounds of 22 mag, me and my wife both have one and love them and they cycle flawlessly.

Dean

I was thinking the same thing. I held one the other day, but didn’t get a chance to shoot it. It’s very lightweight

This is the way I'd answer your question personally.

Anything needs to be shot quite a bit before considering it reliable. Ours has been reliable but only a couple hundred rounds through it so far.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I'd think the new Glock 44 in 22 LR would be a good choice. It's dimensionally identical to a Glock 19 9mm. She could practice with the 44, then keep a 19 around if she actually needed to shoot somebody. A revolver and a Glock are identically simple to fire. Keep your finger off of the trigger until you're ready for it to go bang.

While it's true that all liberals are crazy people, not all crazy people are liberals.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
My wife keeps a M&P22 by her bedside and loves to shoot it when we go to the mountains. It is easy for her to work the slide and she knows all she has to pull the trigger. After my Sig fiasco with her I ordered her a S&W shield in 9mm, because she wanted something bigger than her 22 and smaller than her Sig SP2022 in 40.

Writing from the gateway to the great BluMtns in southeastern Washington.

Just remember, "You are the trailer park and I am the tornado". Beth Dutton, Yellowstone.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

The new Glock 44 maybe

I have a couple Walther P22's........they work real well

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There is no way I'd consider an autoloading .22 RF pistol for defence

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Stingers. Stingers. Stingers.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Mine made the same demand, I got her a beautiful colt mustang 380, almost a grand even had a little gold pony on it to make it purdy. She HATED it 3 moving parts were two too many. Second time I listened to her, got her a pos taurus 38 snubby and she LOVES it, actually requests to go shoot it instead of being drug kicking and scrreaming to do so.

Maybe upgrade to a good quality snubby some day but in all likelyhood she will never need or desire it. Take her to a good store and listen, don't talk!

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
An old high school friend of mine was murdered in her closet. Outstretched hands are not good defensive weapons.

We decided to do some gun shopping.

We ended up buying a Ruger LCR X in 38 special.

It was really eye opening to see what she liked as opposed to what I thought she would like or what she should have.

Nothing against a 22 autoloader........but I believe there are better options out there.

Still, if thats what she lands on......its a good deal. Headed in the right direction!

I am MAGA.
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
A lot of women have difficulty pulling back the slide of a center fire semi-auto. Ruger and S&W both make .22 revolvers with 8-10 round capacity, + they're fun to shoot so she might be more apt to practice more.
Like a lot of others have said, have her try out a bunch and pick what she likes.

Wag more, bark less.

The freedoms we surrender today will be the freedoms our grandchildren will never know existed.

The men who wrote the Second Amendment didn't just finish a hunting trip, they just finished liberating a nation.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I have the Walther P22. Picky about ammo but totally reliable with what it likes.

Society of Intolerant Old Men. Rifle Slut Division
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
'Nother big plus for the Ruger SR 22

I bought one, and my Daughter liked it so well that she bought one of her own.

She had a Walther before that and likes the SR 22 better.

'Nother vote for loading with Stingers also. Mine shoots them really well, and has never jammed with them.

Virgil B.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

92 members (Akhutr, Anaconda, 35, 33sixSS, 907brass, 7 invisible), 1,439 guests, and 896 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,758
Posts18,476,414
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.